Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Survival and FTB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Update the map to 1.8.x!!!! I'm so feckin excited!!!! Please!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Server's been totally dead for the last week. I've logged in a few times, never saw another person. No point anyone building anything if it's all about to be wiped, I presume.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Is it? Ender chest solves the valuables issue up until someone griefs the ender chest, and speaking of which... one griefer, and the whole map is doomed. Anyone remember Beta 1.9? Our only ever map without bukkit? All the griefing left the server deserted anyway :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Without any sort of server protection, upgrading to 1.8 is just not an option.

Block logging and other anti-grief plugins serve two purposes. They catch people who grief, but they also stop people from griefing in the first place as they know they will get caught.

It also stops cheating, in the form of fly-hacks, item spawning cheats etc. It's just not viable to run a server without any sort of anti-cheat and anti-grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What if we closed down the whitelist to people we know and trust until bukkit gets set up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

What if we closed down the whitelist to people we know and trust until bukkit gets set up?

Well there's 233 people currently on the whitelist. How do you decide which of those are trustworthy or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

deconduo wrote: »
    Well there's 233 people currently on the whitelist. How do you decide which of those are trustworthy or not?

Srap the whitelist, enforce a new entry requirement: They must undergo a hazing.
    Congratulations, you have now formed the Boards Minecraft Fraternity :rolleyes:
    Beta Rho Delta Sigma 4 lyfe!

Anyone who played regularly on any of the last couple of maps or so who didn't thieve or grief? Most of the people who signed up for the whitelist last time never really played.

So the current server isn't going anywhere soon, but what about a map reset? I don't think one is needed, but other posters here are clearly expecting one, and I think that's why the server is so quiet. So some clarification might be helpful! That's all I meant, not trying to tell the mods what to do.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

deconduo wrote:
    It also stops cheating, in the form of fly-hacks, item spawning cheats etc. It's just not viable to run a server without any sort of anti-cheat and anti-grief.

Bukkit isn't coming back. Is the choice is an empty server while we wait for a Bukkit replacement to be created or a non-empty server but plain vanilla Minecraft with no griefing protection?

I thought that the ones on the whitelist were supposed to be trustworthy or at least given the benefit of the doubt?

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    I thought that the ones on the whitelist were supposed to be trustworthy or at least given the benefit of the doubt?

Not really the idea behind the server, and thus not the way our whitelist is being used.

The whitelist is there to prevent random non-Boardsies from just logging on and getting up to mischief, as it would quickly prove impossible to police, plugins or no plugins. Instead anyone with a Boards.ie account can request to be whitelisted, with the knowledge that if they go rogue it could have repercussions for their Boards.ie account on here as well as their Mojang account's ability to access our servers. Even then its not a guaranteed deterrent, and occasionally there will be malicious behaviour on the server and the perpetrators will have Le Banhammer swung at them.

tl;dr Whitelist is meant to be the first line of defence, not the only one.

Dinty's been robbed and somebody messed with Rachel's underground tunnels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Let's set up an in game police force to track peoples movements and lay some mother trucking smack down!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

Needs more prison builds :P

:D

Been a while since we've had one of those...

Let's set up an in game police force to track peoples movements and lay some mother trucking smack down!

I'm for this. I think I''l become some maverick type bad ass who stalks the unsuspecting at night. Then WHAM! Take that you tunnel destroying badger.

Welchy, Deirdre is gone. Presumed dead :/

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Renegaid

Hello all!

Just wanted to chime in and apologise for my absence in-game! Ive jetted over to Vancouver, Canada so Im trying to get settled in with a house and a job first!

I hope all is well?

Hey Ren! Cool place to move to! All's good here, let us know whenever you'll be online again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Welchy, Deirdre is gone. Presumed dead :/

:eek:

Who would harm an innocent pig?

• Advertisement

Even the discussion of server activity brings this thread back alive! Its glorious! I can give dayz a break for a while!

Watch out everyone, there's scary ghosts at spawn village!

Also, it may have snowed a little...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Suggestion:

Minecraft Realms versus a Vanilla 1.8 server. Realms has the sort of tracking and logging we'd need for tracking down problems and with the smaller number of players we seem to have ATM, it might be a better and more cost efficient fit.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Suggestion:

Minecraft Realms versus a Vanilla 1.8 server. Realms has the sort of tracking and logging we'd need for tracking down problems and with the smaller number of players we seem to have ATM, it might be a better and more cost efficient fit.

Sounds pretty much ideal! Might set one up tonight myself regardless :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well I can set one up now, I'm happy to pay for 3 months as a trial for us and see what's what.

I'll start a seperate thread for it now :)

i figured out what happened when that TNT went off: some blocks got thrown towards the audience before they exploded, and ... the wreckage was large. If anyone wants to try again, I've got four stacks burning a hole in a chest ... :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

I loved using TNT "flowers" to cause primary explosions to lob the rest of the newly-primed TNT all over the place before detonation... so much devastation... ^_^

Any news on an update yet? I gots the bug again

Any news on an update yet? I gots the bug again

No news, we're all playing over on Realms now though - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057316110

• Advertisement

Just realised it must be close to a year exactly since I started playing minecraft on PC. I've come a loooong way :D

My first PC single player base

329827.png

My current PC single player project (ongoing)

329828.jpg

Working on draining the ocean monument in my single-player world...zzz...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

^^In creative or survival?

Lot of work either way!!

EoinHef wrote: »
    ^^In creative or survival?

Lot of work either way!!

I started doing it this evening in survival...I hope I don't give up patience and resort to creative. It will definitely look awesome when I'm finish, I hope I stay the course and finish the job legit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I started doing it this evening in survival...I hope I don't give up patience and resort to creative. It will definitely look awesome when I'm finish, I hope I stay the course and finish the job legit!

Best of luck with it man,it sounds like a worthy quest!!
    Im still playing modded 1.6.4 so havent even seen a monument or guardian!!

Throw up a few pics when your done if you can:)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

I did it on the realms server. It didn't take too long but it certainly helps if you have 80 sponges :p

• Advertisement

Pompous wrote: »
    I did it on the realms server. It didn't take too long but it certainly helps if you have 80 sponges :p

You mean the inside? I want to clear all the water around the outside too, it's fairly near some land so I want to be able to walk down from the beach all the way into it.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Best of luck with it man,it sounds like a worthy quest!!
    Im still playing modded 1.6.4 so havent even seen a monument or guardian!!

Throw up a few pics when your done if you can:)

330659.jpg

Here's my progress after one evening of work on it :)

Oh gawd O:

Yeah I mean the inside. What you're doing is a far greater task. I am planning on doing that too though, starting as soon as I conquer the 3rd monument. Seeing that screenshot has made me realise how much work it's gonna take :I

This is my plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0_nbfK5luE

Day 2 of excavating ocean monument..

330717.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What you are doing is a much more efficient method that I'm using.. I never thought about using sand to make a wall.. For the past week, I've been just diving under the water and build blocks up to the surface...

You don't wanna know how many times I've drowned from doing that :o

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    What you are doing is a much more efficient method that I'm using.. I never thought about using sand to make a wall.. For the past week, I've been just diving under the water and build blocks up to the surface...

You don't wanna know how many times I've drowned from doing that :o

Yeah the sand method is definitely better than that way, although it's still slow.

Another option is to make squares of sand all the way down to the seafloor, and then put a few dry sponges in it. It's more fun and possibly faster, I'm not quite sure yet. If you make squares 4x4, about 3 sponges will get you all the way down to the seafloor.

Funny that there's basically three of us doing the same thing at the same time independently :)

Day 1 of excavating ocean monument.. :D

331117.jpg

(Welchy is helping)

Nice work! I saw in a YT video that if you dig out a big space below the Ocean Monument (once it's dried up), you get pretty crazy mob spawning rates. Great for mob farming, I think I'll be doing that afterwards. I take it you're using the sponge method Pomp? Definitely seems to be the fastest way

Thank you :) Yep, I'm using sponges. 6x6 holes then spam sponges on each wall all the way down. I can do it with about 15-20 sponges depending on the depth of the hole.

Once it's drained I'll be demolishing the monument and lighting all nearby caves to stop all mob spawning. Gonna make a ridiculous exp farm.

Day 2

331270.jpg

Draining the interior of the monument is proving somewhat difficult. I made the mistake of lighting up all the caves nearby first (there were a hell of a lot). Now the remaining pools of water in the monument are spawning armies of guardians.

Welchy is too manly to wear his depth strider boots, but not manly enough to face the army without them :D

Wait now, what sever are you doing this on? Boards or Shim's? Did Boards update?

I'm doing this on Shim's server, Dg is doing it on his single player. Sorry Rach, false alarm :p

Day 3
    331380.jpg

Bonus aquarium shot!

331381.jpg

Nice job!

I think I'll keep the outside of mine, but hollow out all the middle for the prismarine and make it look nice with quartz and spruce wood. Maybe put a glass dome around it, and grow trees and stuff on the inside, like an eco-dome. I'll put some kind of mob grinder in it, not sure if it'll be guardians or a mob farm below the monument, we'll see what happens

I just played on this UHC server and found it pretty good - http://uhc.eximiusgaming.com/

Who'd be up for getting a gang of us on one of their maps some night? If there's enough of us we could make teams of two even :)

I'm probably going to play on it again at some point tomorrow afternoon, if anyone wants to join me?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement