Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently vw are bringing out a 400bhp version of the golf r if there is not enough power in the current one for ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Mines just arrived at the dealers! Collecting it this Friday (would do it tomorrow, but I'm in feckin Germany!)

Heard about the boot issues..but I'm still a young man! :P

I didn't get a discount as much but got a more then a good price for my trade in (more then carzone prices),

I'm pretty brutal at haggling so happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

damo86 wrote: »
    Mines just arrived at the dealers! Collecting it this Friday (would do it tomorrow, but I'm in feckin Germany!)

Heard about the boot issues..but I'm still a young man! :P

I didn't get a discount as much but got a more then a good price for my trade in (more then carzone prices),

I'm pretty brutal at haggling so happy enough with that.

Hmmm I ordered in November aswell but havent heard anything from the dealer - must put a call through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I was offered 2.5k more for my trade in too compared to what BMW were offering.
    In my experience BMW have less room to haggle or just don't want to.
    Sk8board, how did you get on with them re 420?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

carsfan wrote: »
    Sk8board, how did you get on with them re 420?

I called and he was 'away from his desk'. I Didn't hear back before closing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

When you are trading your current car in, it's difficult to know what "discount" if any, you are getting. The important figure to focus on is the cost to change!

One dealer may tell you he's giving you a great price for your old car while another dealer may be offering much less for your car - but the overall cost to change could be very similar with the 2 dealers. Dealers will bamboozle you with numbers but the important one to focus on is how much cash you have to part with in addition to your own part exchange.

Obviously if buying straight with no trade in, it's a lot clearer...

Yes agree with you re. cost to change all important.
    Have to compare the exact same spec. you're getting at various dealers.

I've ended up selling my car seperately so know exactly level of discount but the dealer I am going with was very transparent(surprisingly so) and told me I am giving you "x" for your car and "y" discount off the new one leaving a cost to change. he told me he was likely to sell my car in to the trade anyway.
    In the end I've sold it for a little more so no trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

JoeA3 wrote: »
    When you are trading your current car in, it's difficult to know what "discount" if any, you are getting. The important figure to focus on is the cost to change!

One dealer may tell you he's giving you a great price for your old car while another dealer may be offering much less for your car - but the overall cost to change could be very similar with the 2 dealers. Dealers will bamboozle you with numbers but the important one to focus on is how much cash you have to part with in addition to your own part exchange.

100% agree, cost to change is the only way to think about it, for the above reasons.

My cost to change varied by as much as 3000 euro :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

JoeA3 wrote: »

I did that for my Mk6 in 2011, when nobody was buying cars. I got a 1 month old GTi with 1K on the clock for €29k.. Different times...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

I hope some of you buying new GTIs are trading in Mk6 GTIs with DSG and 5-doors ? I'm on the lookout for one !

• Advertisement

so JoeD Bmw called me back today.

The base 430d m sport works out about 63k, and you get the sports Auto and the Pro satnav/widescreen as standard. in other words, its a 4-5k premium and slightly less spec over the 420d m sport Plus I had spec'ed.
    for the 59k spec on the 420d, you also get the excellent m performance plus pack and some other minor options I use daily, like the sliding armrest and folding mirrors or whatever.

Have a test drive booked for Saturday on a 420d with m sport suspension but specifically no variable dampers, as I haven't spec'ed them.

will report back on the price discounting and options afterwards (PCP, HP, straight deal, trade-in)

Have you totally decided against the R sk8board?
    If you are spending north of 60k, would you consider audi A7? Looks lovely and would be a step up from 4 series too in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A7 is being replaced with a new model in the next 12 months afaik. Merc CLS?

They have just started selling a revamped A7 so I would say there's a couple more years at least in it. Much bigger car than a golf or 4 series.

carsfan wrote: »
    Have you totally decided against the R sk8board?
    If you are spending north of 60k, would you consider audi A7? Looks lovely and would be a step up from 4 series too in my opinion.

Yeh, decided against the R, purely for family car reasons.

As for the a7, I had no other car in mind up to about a month ago.
    - The '11 & '12 models are all 4 seaters, so you're limited to '13+ reg when they released the 5 seater
    - an sline Quattro (the only one you'd want), in the base 204bhp engine, is still €55k+ and they're v v rare.
    - You'd be importing for sure.
    - Then the new model came out, I even went to the launch, and there are €85k tags on the entry 218hp sline Quattro.
    - And finally, the 204hp a7 is actually slower to 60 than the 420d. (7.7s v 7.4s).
    - And finally finally, I love the look of the A7, but as a 36yo, it made be feel a bit older - not want I want from spending 60k!
    - Oh and the a7 is a physically MASSIVE car. The dimensions are huge even in comparison to my 5 Touring.

As for the clk, it's only a 4 seater and ruled out straight away.

Ideally I want to be beating the 420d price down 1-2k and pay 57k. Suddenly it's only €7k more than the decent spec R.

Wow! I thought A7 started mid 60's but I see on car zone that's not what they are selling for alright.
    The 420 would have much lower day to day costs than the R and some one will probably contradict me but I think will hold its value a lot better than the R.
    If you're buying straight you should get 2k or more off I would think.

Audi ballina have a new facelift a7 Daytona grey sline Quattro for 77€k on car zone. Pre-reg 151 for immediate delivery, so it's pretty much a €20k premium over the 420d and €20k less than a 640d

Let us know how you get on with the 4 series negotiation or even if you are tempted
    Would be surprised if bmw sales guys kill themselves with discount.
    I got 2.5 k off for cash on 330d but that was 2013 when cars were not selling as well.

Will do. He called yesterday to say they pre-reg'ed a 430d yesterday as it was the last day of the month, so 'I can test that too'. I think he's looking to pitch that with higher % discount as it's now sitting on the lot. He said it needs to be 3 months old or have 3000 km for them to get demo wholesaler discount.

After having a car with the 3.0 engine I would say go for it if you can get it for around same as 2.0 but bear in mind it won't be worth much more than 2.0 litre when you trade back in.
    The engine is terrific and economy not much different than 2.0
    Handling is not quite as sharp on the bigger engine as it feels a bit heavier at the front end.

• Advertisement

Hey, was with joe Duffy today.

Test drives:
    had the 420d and 430d for a decent test drive, back-to-back. Motorway and some street, just like my own commute (30,000km pa on 90% motorway).

Both had 19", with m suspension and NO adaptive dampers.

The 30d was immense, as you'd expect, but I doubt I used 60% of the power.

The stand out for me was the 8speed ZF box with the 20d. It's perfectly matched and has the right gear all the time. It's way faster and more nimble than my 520d for sure and the ZF closes the performance gap for me between 20d and 30d - for daily motorway driving. I reckon you could put 3 gears on the 30d and it'd be just as good. Cabin noise is great and you'd barely notice the 20d (I started it cold too).

So the 30d itch was scratched (again), and ruled out.

Pricing:
    The trade price on my 520d m sport touring step was poor, when I can shift it myself for €3.5-4k more easily, so that was off the table and we talked straight cash deal.

Final Discount I work out as 3.65%. or €2150 on a 59.2k price.

420d m sport, Estoril blue, 8speed ZF, 3D pro nav, upgraded M brakes & calipers, harman kardon surround sound, exterior dechromed and privacy glass, 19" bicolour alloys, 5yr service pack, supagard paint wrap with 3yr guarantee (handy for all the crap your car picks up on the motorway) and a few other useful options arrives in week 12 (mid/end march) :)

Tick tock.

Congratulations!
    Will be a lovely car. The gran coupe is better looking than the 2 door in my opinion. That m sport plus pack is a great addition too.
    As a matter of interest did they push the demo 430 or have a couldn't care either way approach?

it would be list price until it's 3 months old, and even with a half decent spec I couldn't justify the 5-6k premium today, not wanted to spend 3 months wondering it'll be bought by someone else in the meanwhile.
    If I spent my time on back roads, yep definitely, but not for motorway driving. The bigger brakes will be more useful on the m50 than the bigger engine :)

The 20d and the ZF is just brilliant - and I tested the 30d first so I was expecting far more of a gap!

The standard spec on the GC is decent too, Dakota leather, xenons, electric boot, itouch and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

420d is a lovely car and it seems like a good deal. Did you say your 520d is 131? Im surprised that they didn't give you top money for that, as unless its mad miles I would have thought they would get much more money for it that you could selling private - i.e. the typical buyer for one of them would go straight to the main dealers. Is it just greed that stops dealers bidding reasonable money on desirable trade-in's?

Casati wrote: »
    420d is a lovely car and it seems like a good deal. Did you say your 520d is 131? Im surprised that they didn't give you top money for that, as unless its mad miles I would have thought they would get much more money for it that you could selling private - i.e. the typical buyer for one of them would go straight to the main dealers. Is it just greed that stops dealers bidding reasonable money on desirable trade-in's?

It's a '08. They send everything older than '11 or '12 to a weekly auction. They're nothing if not straight up about it, so you can't argue. They even went through car zone to see what other ones are selling for, to encourage me to sell it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

sk8board wrote: »
    It's a '08. They send everything older than '11 or '12 to a weekly auction. They're nothing if not straight up about it, so you can't argue. They even went through car zone to see what other ones are selling for, to encourage me to sell it myself.

Fair enough so, I wouldn't blame them for no retailing a 7 year old car- though some of the cousins would. I'd say those particular auctions are not a bad way to pick up a 5 year clean trade-in but yes you should do much better selling private

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

It sounds a lovely car ,colour ,spec etc
    Just wondering why you would not have considered a new f10 520d m- sport
    For the same money . ?

blingrhino wrote: »
    It sounds a lovely car ,colour ,spec etc
    Just wondering why you would not have considered a new f10 520d m- sport
    For the same money . ?

Just two reasons really - no three (no, four!):
    1. I currently have one and fancied a change
    2. There are so many around
    3. The list price is identical, but the 5 is a few grand more when you add the same equipment. No reason why.
    4. I wouldn't get the saloon only the touring, so now the price diff is more again, and I'm not all that gone on the looks of the F10 touring

As an anorak, I like to think I can get a car each time with the right balance of performance, practicality, rarity and value. All cars tick one box, few tick all four.
    And the 420d falls down on the value front IMHO. No way I was paying over €60k for one.

A query for all you existing gti owners?
    I'm picking up gti performance this afternoon and changed my insurance today. I have 2 and a half months left on my policy and had to pay an extra 100 euro to the end of policy. I'm coming from a BMW 520d m sport and previously a 330d m sport which is more powerful and both are more expensive cars.
    When I called previously I was told there would be no change in premium for the gti but today I'm told its a high performance sports car!
    I'm annoyed as the 330 in particular was a quicker bigger horsepower car.
    Also I had read that the gti was much cheaper to insure because it had loads of safety aids. I'm 44 with full no claims too . I looked up the uk insurance groups and the gti is group 29, the 520 group 34, the 330 group 38. So why the loading
    Have you guys found insurance expensive on the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Carsfan,

Cant comment on the GTi performance model, but my insurance on my 132D Gti is €466 with 123.ie. Im 48, with full no claims also.

All I can say is shop around, if its not to late already...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement