Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss is not paying what is written in my contract!

Options
  • 12-12-2009 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Im planning to go to the citizens information centre on Monday or the Ombudsman... Just wanted to get some advice first if someone has been in the same position as me..
    I started a new job 6 weeks ago and was given the impression that it was going to turn into a permanent position however this wasnt the case...
    I was informed during the week that I had one weeks notice on Monday evening by a phone call which was then followed up by an email. Because I had finished work on Monday at the time (the call was after business hours) I really only got 4 days notice. In my contract it states that they have to give me 10 days notice, however nothing in the contract can stop them giving you less notice once it is mutually agreed with me and my employer. I never agreed to a weeks / 4 days notice, I was told thats what I was getting.
    Also in my contract it states my salary. However, I have been paid 4 weeks at a figure which is 6k less than what it says in my contract and 2 weeks at the rate in my contract.
    Its pretty clear that my boss has money problems and I was only hired to get some accounts in for a few weeks... he couldnt actually afford to pay me.
    Not only has he done this but his behaviour is apalling, I have several texts and emails from him that are totally unprofessional. Ive never had to deal with someone like this before, nor have I been treated this way by an employer which is why I will take this further!

Any advice from anyone whos been in a similar position would be great...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

To be honest with the short amount of time in question your employer could end your employment. At best you could argue for payment of the 6 days left in you notice and the difference in wages.

Would your employer be in a position to pay this money if a court ordered him to? You will probably be refered to NERA so may as well call them Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you want to see happen? Is this about getting the money? Or avenging his unprofessional behaviour (and what would it take)? Or warning other people in your town about him? Or ...

You'e been treated horribly badly, and I do sympathise.

But doing something about it will take a lot of effort, and (if you're not in a union) euros from you for lawyers. You need to think very hard about what you want to achieve, and whether it will be worth it.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but the employee is the "little guy" in many of these situations, and often doesn't come out a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Noodles5

Well he owes me the money from the difference in pay... It's the fact that he's been getting away with treating people the way he has... I'm the first person to stand up to him. I'm pretty sure the ombudsman is cheap but don't know a whole lot about it.. I remember learning some stuff in school years ago!!! I know it will take months but will hopefully stop this man acting the way he does!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good on you then. And good luck.

(There's one boss in my career who I really wish we'd all stood up to, even though in hingsight it would have been really unpleasant at the time.)

Thanks justmary! I will keep this updated, hopefully might help someone else who may be in a similar position. The ball will start rolling tomorrow!!

• Advertisement

Ok so.... I went to the citizens information centre, they rang my boss and queried when he was going to pay up, think it scared him a bit because he is such a crook!
    They were really helpful and gave me loads of info and said any problems like this would be directed to the dept of trade, enterprise and employment and also the labour relations commissioner.
    He owed me over €1400 so I sent him details of where this figure came from... I gave him a deadline of today to pay it all otherwise I was going straight to the LRC, he has paid almost half of it, along with some abusive texts on his part...
    Am going to make the complaint to the LRC now.

Has anyone had any dealings with the LRC, how long does it take etc?
    Any info would be great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its a simple Payment of Wages claim. Very straight forward for a lay person to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I sympathise, I really do, but is your boss/ex boss in a position to pay it.

Does he have it?

Getting an order to get your money is one thing, but does he actually have it to give you?

If not, no amount of inspectors, courts or lawyers will be able to help you.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

I sympathise, I really do, but is your boss/ex boss in a position to pay it.

Does he have it?

Getting an order to get your money is one thing, but does he actually have it to give you?

If not, no amount of inspectors, courts or lawyers will be able to help you.

Good Luck.
    while i understand what you saying i really think in this day & age you should stand your ground & try all you can to get your money, to many "big guys" are taking the piss with "little guys" who dont stand up to them! best of luck hope you get all that is owed to you!

Thanks guys,
    superscouse - yes he certainly does have the money! He's just a cowboy, he set up businesses and waits till they get struck off the register instead of filing returns.. Then opens another company to do the same job! The more I think about it the more i can see the gaps in what he has done! Would love to get him audited!;)
    _michelle_ - yup, he is exactly as you have described, he thinks he's a big shot even though he has a string of failed business, talks down to people and he has insulted me several times.. This is all because I'm standing up for myself?! Thankfully I have more respect for myself and haven't stooped to his level but I have all the abuse and insults saved if it gets to court!

He keeps saying he didn't agree to the contract.. But he sent it to me via email... If he didn't agree why would he write it up and mail it to me??!! The man hasn't got a clue!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Noodles5 wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    superscouse - yes he certainly does have the money! He's just a cowboy, he set up businesses and waits till they get struck off the register instead of filing returns.. Then opens another company to do the same job! The more I think about it the more i can see the gaps in what he has done! Would love to get him audited!;)
    _michelle_ - yup, he is exactly as you have described, he thinks he's a big shot even though he has a string of failed business, talks down to people and he has insulted me several times.. This is all because I'm standing up for myself?! Thankfully I have more respect for myself and haven't stooped to his level but I have all the abuse and insults saved if it gets to court!

He keeps saying he didn't agree to the contract.. But he sent it to me via email... If he didn't agree why would he write it up and mail it to me??!! The man hasn't got a clue!!

Go get 'im !

Ok so.... I went to the citizens information centre, they rang my boss and queried when he was going to pay up, think it scared him a bit because he is such a crook!
    They were really helpful and gave me loads of info and said any problems like this would be directed to the dept of trade, enterprise and employment and also the labour relations commissioner.
    He owed me over €1400 so I sent him details of where this figure came from... I gave him a deadline of today to pay it all otherwise I was going straight to the LRC, he has paid almost half of it, along with some abusive texts on his part...
    Am going to make the complaint to the LRC now.

Has anyone had any dealings with the LRC, how long does it take etc?
    Any info would be great! :)

He just told me he didn't pay what he said he did on friday, he wants me to agree on the amount worked at the lower rate for him to pay me at all....
    How can this man not see it's illegal to withold pay??
    Application going straight to the lrc in the morning! :cool:

Bit of an update...
    The issue went all the way to the Labour Court at the end of April, things went well, I was almost fully prepared (I just had to fax off p45 & payslips to the rights comissioner later that day!)
    My boss didnt show up he sent his brother to the hearing instead who turned up 40 mins late!!! :mad: He had nothing with him except for his phone!!
    Just waiting on a decision, I was told 6 weeks and its just over 6 weeks now, does anyone know how long its supposed to take? I think I will ring them on Monday anyway.

Wow i'm impressed, I didn't think your case would come up so soon, or that a period of employment as short as that would merit a case in the LRC. Great to know.

How did the case go, were you put on the stand? were you challenged at all by the judge?

Yeah they reckon about 6 weeks to get a date and then 6 weeks until the date of the hearing.
    It was in a room in the labour court, just myself, my boyfriend (for moral support), the rights comissioner and my employers brother there. The comissioner introduced herself and let me give my version of events, I printed put all emails, texts, the contract etc and had 3 copies of everything. Then my employers brother was asked to give his version... He read through a text or two... And then the comissioner had a good few questions for us.
    The nerves went out the window when I started reading through my version of events!
    The decision will be posted out, hopefully I'll get it soon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks for keeping us informed. I remember reading this thread originally and it's great when posters come back to let us know what happened. It really is invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Thanks guys,

just a quick question for you ,if this mans such a cowboy why did you go to work for him?

Thanks OP, I really didn't think you could get the LRC in for such an amount so it's great to know exactly what happens.

Good luck with the outcome.

watna wrote: »
    Thanks for keeping us informed. I remember reading this thread originally and it's great when posters come back to let us know what happened. It really is invaluable.

No probs.... hopefully it might help someone in a similar position at some stage!! :)

the bolt wrote: »
    just a quick question for you ,if this mans such a cowboy why did you go to work for him?

Umm.. if I knew what I know now about him I wouldnt have taken the job in the first place....! All of the revelations about his previous companies came after I was given my notice and didnt get paid! :(

• Advertisement

So.....
    I got the decision from the rights commissioner today! All went in my favour and he has been ordered to pay me the full amount owed!
    He has 6 weeks to appeal and if I dont receive the payment by the 6 weeks I have been advised to bring the case to the circuit court where they will issue a court order... hope it doesnt get that far but at least its almost over now!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So how did you get on? Did you former employer pay up with the six weeks or will you have to get the decision enforced in the Circuit Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

So any more news? Did your employer pay up or will you have to get a court order?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Just came across this thread now. Very glad to see OP is got what she needed, assuming that the boss pays up. I would think that it is unlikely based upon the previous posts.

As an additional method of reinforcing your determination to stand up to your exboss, I would speak to the Director of Corporate Enforcement. If the person is a cowboy, as you say, the Director would be perfectly positioned to deal with this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

dont get mad get even
    send a copy of the recommendation to the

Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement mentioning previous companies

and the
    Special Enquiries Branch of the Revenue Commissioners at the headquarter address

How exactly would the Director of Corporate Enforcement be able to help in a situation like this?

If a company director is running a company, there are certain onuses and expectations on him/her. A company that deliberately closes down and reopens, in order to avoid creditors, is acting in an illegal manner (1963 Companies Act).

In this situation, if the director closes the company in order to avoid a creditor/liability eg court order, the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement can conduct a review of the director, and the company. If they find that the company and or its directors have acted in an illegal or dishonest manner, they can be fined, restricted or barred from company ownership or directorship.

Ah I see what you mean, I thought you meant that he could help enforce the decision of the Rights Commissioner and maybe slap the MD with a fine for acting like an idiot.

Just out of curiosity could someone make an anonymous claim to the Director of Corporate Enforcement in regards to a small Irish business that has been shafting people for years (staff and suppliers) and more then likely has some dodgy tax returns/books, etc?

Purely theoretically (and without prejudice), the best place to go for dodgy tax books is Revenue. Generally speaking, they take pleasure in catching employers and companies evading tax. ODCE would prosecute directors of companies, and almost certainly win, with it was able to prove that the books of account (record books) were falsely maintained (under all Companies Acts in Ireland, that is normally the first crime mentioned). As for anonymous reporting, Revenue, from what I understand, have no real qualms about taking anonymous reports. ODCE would, more than likely, be informed by Revenue.

If the company is "shafting" employees, your first port of call should be NERA. They are best positioned to advise you on your legal rights.

• Advertisement

So any more news? Did your employer pay up or will you have to get a court order?

So the 6 weeks he had to pay were up today... Luckily enough I had a half day in work so I rang the circuit court and they advised me about what to do next. I had to go into them and fill out a few forms, I then had to go to a solicitor and get her to sign the affidavit I filled out. I then had to go back to the circuit court where they took the forms ad they send it off. The lady there was very helpful and said if I don't receive anything in a few weeks to call them back.
    So my ex boss will receive an execution order and my affidavit hopefully on Tuesday morning!!

Advertisement