Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Tesco's High Protein Pasta?

• 12-11-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Bought a packet last week... it's grand.
    Very filling..and cheap :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What makes it high protein? How much extra compared to regular pasta?

Without looking at the label, I imagine they simple added extra gluten. Probably the byproduct of the gluten free range. Quite clever, remove gluten form one production line, and add it to another. Increase the margin on both products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Mellor wrote: »
    Without looking at the label, I imagine they simple added extra gluten. Probably the byproduct of the gluten free range. Quite clever, remove gluten form one production line, and add it to another. Increase the margin on both products.

Gluten-free products are made by using non-wheat ingredients and preventing contamination.
    I don't think it's possible to remove gluten from wheat- or contaminated products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Gluten-free products are made by using non-wheat ingredients and preventing contamination.
    I don't think it's possible to remove gluten from wheat- or contaminated products.
    The production line comment was tongue in cheek. I wasn't actually suggesting that swap one to the other on a production line.

But in regards to the second part. It is possible to extract the gluten from wheat. That's what seitan/mock duck is. Protein (glutan) extracted from wheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Afaik, they add isolated soy protein to it in most cases. Most dried pastas would be about the 12% mark in terms of protein. The tesco one looks to be 25%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I think it tastes grand and is filling, very filling.
    Doesn't make me feel like a bloated whale after it either.
    I just had it as a pasta salad so didn't have it with any meat protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

here is one
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=284182850
    Twice the natural wheat protein of standard pasta' fortified with vitamins and iron*

Ingredients

Durum Wholewheat semolina,Durum Wheat Semolina ,Wheat Gluten ,Niacin ,Iron ,Thiamin ,Riboflavin ,Folic Acid

25% protein dry weight

The other tesco fusilis are just Durum Wholewheat semolina, so seems Mellor was right about the gluten.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Adding seitan to pasta, sure I do that anyway. How much per kg is it compared to normal tesco pasta?

Advertisement