Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diet Advice and what to improve upon/cut out

• 11-11-2015 12:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi guys

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm 6'2 and 13st stone 5 as of this morning. Goal is to lose a small beer gut that has developed - I'm slim everywhere else (14% fat index)

I work a 7am to 3pm shift

I'd wake at 5am and have a black coffee

Around 8am I'd have an apple, yoghurt and some cream crackers with low fat butter.

11am I'd have a brown whole grain roll and a cuppa soup, and maybe another yoghurt. Sometimes I might have a kitkat

Coffee at 12pm

Nothing til 3.30 when I get home, I'd have another banana

4pm dinnertime I'd have some grilled pork chops or chicken fillets, some jacket potatoes, maybe some baked beans. Or ill have some Irish Stew occasionally or steak.

In the evening I may have a bowl of cornflakes and possibly a bag of popcorn/another apple/orange

I've cut the drinking down to 1 night a week (7 or 8 pints) but in my past I would have drank alot (maybe go out 4 nights a week) so I may still be paying for past excesses.

Exercise wise I do 2 x 1 hour sessions on my exercise bike after work, sometimes 3 or 4 sessions at weekends

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hi guys

Any advice greatly appreciated. I'm 6'2 and 13st stone 5 as of this morning. Goal is to lose a small beer gut that has developed - I'm slim everywhere else (14% fat index)

I work a 7am to 3pm shift

I'd wake at 5am and have a black coffee

Around 8am I'd have an apple, yoghurt and some cream crackers with low fat butter.

11am I'd have a brown whole grain roll and a cuppa soup, and maybe another yoghurt. Sometimes I might have a kitkat

Coffee at 12pm

Nothing til 3.30 when I get home, I'd have another banana

4pm dinnertime I'd have some grilled pork chops or chicken fillets, some jacket potatoes, maybe some baked beans. Or ill have some Irish Stew occasionally or steak.

In the evening I may have a bowl of cornflakes and possibly a bag of popcorn/another apple/orange

I've cut the drinking down to 1 night a week (7 or 8 pints) but in my past I would have drank alot (maybe go out 4 nights a week) so I may still be paying for past excesses.

Exercise wise I do 2 x 1 hour sessions on my exercise bike after work, sometimes 3 or 4 sessions at weekends

Thanks

Eat more real food, not low fat pretend butters, cream crackers, I presume low fat yoghurt also.. etc

No mention of veg in your diet. Your diet should be built around plants, especially veg along with good protein (red meat, fish, chicken, plant protein etc)source, no fear of fat and carbs around your exercise.

8 pints? Every weekend? How's your diet/sleep in the 24 hrs after that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd certainly be looking at improving what you have in the evening.

Dinner needs more veg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

I'd certainly be looking at improving what you have in the evening.

Dinner needs more veg.

Any suggestions?

I'm very picky and don't have a wide pallet.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Eat more real food, not low fat pretend butters, cream crackers, I presume low fat yoghurt also.. etc

No mention of veg in your diet. Your diet should be built around plants, especially veg along with good protein (red meat, fish, chicken, plant protein etc)source, no fear of fat and carbs around your exercise.

8 pints? Every weekend? How's your diet/sleep in the 24 hrs after that?

Only veg I'd eat would be carrots in an irish stew. Or potatoes/beans if you can class them as veg.

I dont really like the taste of veg.

I dont eat junk food the day after going out, id probably have scrambled eggs for breakfast and maybe some pasta for dinner. Sleep is fine

What veg in particular and have you only ever had them after they've been boiled?

• Advertisement

What veg in particular and have you only ever had them after they've been boiled?

Turnips/Broccoli/Sprouts I've tried and hated

Not really tried anything else. I like lettuce though lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Whilst not a substitute for freshly cooked vegetables, one suggestion would be to make a batch of this, freeze it in portions and have it with pasta.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/-full-of-veg-tomato-sauce/#A8q61bJpoi7xRUrI.97

Turnips/Broccoli/Sprouts I've tried and hated

Boiled to bejaysus no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Only veg I'd eat would be carrots in an irish stew. Or potatoes/beans if you can class them as veg.

I dont eat junk food the day after going out, id probably have scrambled eggs for breakfast and maybe some pasta for dinner. Sleep is fine

Sorry to be blunt, but we are all adults here?

I don't like veg, and trying to be as healthy as possible are non compatible.

You can train yourself to like the taste of almost any food. Texture is often the issue. Google is your friend

Boiled to bejaysus no doubt.

Yep boiled i think, its been years though!

I do eat alot of fruit!

• Advertisement

Parboil sprouts ,cut in half, fry with diced bacon.

Eat.

World of difference from the sprouts you've had that have been boiled until they've given up and been reduced to a soft mushy ball of green.

Parboil sprouts ,cut in half, fry with diced bacon.

Eat.

World of difference from the sprouts you've had that have been boiled until they've given up and been reduced to a soft mushy ball of green.

That actually doesn't sound too bad! I'll try it this evening

That actually doesn't sound too bad! I'll try it this evening

A lot of people dislike veg because more often than not we grew up being served veg that was boiled for too long. There are a whole host of ways to cook veg that give you a whole different taste and texture. Roast parsnips is another example. If you've ever had them, they've probably been boiled into a pale mush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A lot of people dislike veg because more often than not we grew up being served veg that was boiled for too long. There are a whole host of ways to cook veg that give you a whole different taste and texture. Roast parsnips is another example. If you've ever had them, they've probably been boiled into a pale mush.

Jesus, I just realised its November 11th. Better get the sprouts on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

syklops wrote: »
    Jesus, I just realised its November 11th. Better get the sprouts on.

You've just brought back a childhood memory of the smell of cabbage wafting through the house. Would be put on at 11 in time for lunch at 1. :eek:

OP - it's probably time that you learned how to cook. You'll be amazed at just how good food can taste. I think that the easiest way is to go into a bookshop and go through a few recipe books until you come across a couple that you like the sound of and are straightforward to follow. There are plenty of online alternatives too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Veg is very easy to end up liking.

I used to hate veg. I'd eat carrots and that was it.

I knew I had to sort that, so I started roasting different veg with a little olive or coconut oil and lots of cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning and chilli flakes.

Took a while to get used to, and I still wouldn't eat onion because I just can't stomach it, but if I make a curry or stir fry now, all of the rice or noodles have been replaced with carrots, chickpeas, peas, sweet corn, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts and cauliflower. I don't even notice the taste of them anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You have eaten 3 of the possible thousand veg, cooked in one way years ago. Do yourself a favour and fall in love with veg. It can taste as fantastic if cooked well.
    As somebody that hated nearly every vegetable growing up going to loving them all now, it's definitely doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not liking some veg is abslutely fine. I dislike turnip. But basing your opinion of all veg on a few samples, that were probably overcooked is silly. Cauliflower puree is absolutely nothing like roast carrots. For example.

As for your diet. Eat more real food. Less food that comes in boxes and packages.
    I'd cut down on;
    Low fat butter
    Cuppa soup
    Kitkat
    Bowl of cornflakes

None of them are going to kill you, but relying on them daily simply won't shed the belly. You diner is probaly typically Irish in that the portions are all over the place. Potatoes and beans are both fine, just eat less of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I mix turnip, carrot,, soy milk, pepper and stick it in a blender. it's amazing. Thing with veg is even if I don't like say turnip like mellor you can make it taste so different depending on what you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I make a point of trying one new veg/fruit a week now. Admittedly it was from a low base point a year ago but there's always stuff in season to try (or more likely on special in the supermarkets!)

Had long stemmed brocolli for the first time last week. Will be having it again. Can't believe I left it this long before eating stuff as simple as this

This week; grapefruit. Disgustng. Hated it.

We'll see what next week brings

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

WRT fruit and veg - I bought one of everything from the Aldi Super 6 menu, for a few months, then went and found a nice recipe or a different cooking method and tried those out. I was terrible for veg, but discovered a love for a lot of veg because of it - sweet potato, avocado, butternut squash, steaming veg instead of boiling etc. And, because they were cheap, I didn't feel guilty if I didn't like them. It's no harm to confirm you dislike something, but hopefully you'll find you enjoy the process of learning what you do like!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/super-6/super-6-fruit-veg/

Steaming is the best, also if you don't like something doesn't mean you always won't! Your tastebuds adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

If you don't like veg maybe try a green smoothie?

The flavour of the greens are masked by the fruit flavours.

A nice one is Spinach, Kale, half a banana, some pineapple and a little Greek yoghurt with water added to thin it to your preferred consistency.

There are lots of different variations you could try.

Also I would suggest some kind of weight training.

Advertisement