Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End is nigh!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

barnicles wrote: »
    A.m. Or p.m
    Sometimes I wish humanity would end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I hope someone stands in between the particles in the hope of receiving super-powers

but then explodes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A.m. Or p.m

i heard 8am, but is that CET or GMT

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

A.m. Or p.m

07:30 = 7:30 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

HELP PLEASE!
    IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!

You can't stop it, so just accept it: you're going to die in a black hole.

The good news is, Neil DeGrasse Tyson has tried his best to prepare us by describing what it will be like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1iJXOUMJpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What does it look like , this end of the world? I guess it means I won't have to get up ever again. ;)

For weeks I thought it was called a colander bloody dyslexia... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

For weeks I thought it was called a colander bloody dyslexia... :(
    :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm
    Mr Myers has experience of the latter problem. While working on the LHC's predecessor, a machine called the Large-Electron Positron Collider, engineers found two beer bottles wedged into the beam pipe - a deliberate, one-off act of sabotage.

The culprits - who were drinking a particular brand which advertising once claimed would "refresh the parts other beers cannot reach" - were never found.

if the world ends you could always blame the beer! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Man ED has countless laughs about the LHC.

The best pic to come be released though has to be this

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lhcgordanfreemanea4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Spagettification....

Oh shi-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Stev_o wrote: »
    Man ED has countless laughs about the LHC.

The best pic to come be released though has to be this

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lhcgordanfreemanea4.jpg

That is absolutely brilliant ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

crazy geeks and nerds :) i wish i understood more about what they are doing!

they have a schedule for the day here

http://lhc-first-beam.web.cern.ch/lhc-first-beam/documents/CERN_LHC_first_beam_day.pdf

note the P.J party at 11.30 in the US, crazy yanks :pac:

11:30 Visit by videoconference to Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, near
    Chicago, Illinois, USA. Fermilab, which contributes to construction and operation
    of the LHC and CMS experiment, will host a pajama party in the middle of the
    night for scientists, media, VIPs and members of the public to follow the events at
    CERN live as they happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

07:30 = 7:30 am

Damn, i'll be alseep when it's turned on at that time so i'll miss the end of th world. How typical that the world is going to end, and i sleep through it. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oooooh I'm all excited.

I'll be sitting at my desk when it all kicks off. Now juat to decide what to have for the last supper.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Riddle101 wrote: »
    lol how typical that the Brits finally get the Olympics and the world gets destroyed on the same day.

Anyway way i see it, let's embrace this event, at least we'll be more comfortable when it happens and won't be as scared when our guts are sucked through our skulls when we go through the blackhole.

Oh and these guys who built this so called device Haydron Collider? is it possible that on the day before it's turned on,the Rapture will happen. I mean if anyone's going to destroy the world, God will. He'll proberly want to get there first

TBH i'd rather god got here first so that way i could ask him a lil favour of sparin me..

imagine asking a black hole

"Excuse me but could you possibly spaa- *slurp*"

Heard they were only testing it in one direction tomorrow and there's another month till they do the 'big one'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've got a crowbar, a shovel, a box of condoms, mescaline and cat. Combined I'm ready for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Damn, i'll be alseep when it's turned on at that time so i'll miss the end of th world. How typical that the world is going to end, and i sleep through it. Ah well.

Hahaha i could stop laughing at this for some reason...maybe cause its 2am:confused:..ah well guess ill hit the hay....:(nice knowing you all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I wonder how many people will be having a last **** at 7.30am.

Going out with a bang as it were.

• Advertisement

Personally I don't think anything is going to happen.

It'd be cool if something did happen though. Wouldn't necessarily have to end the world, but just good to have a bit of excitement.

As Vince McMahon would say.. It's time to shake things up a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I'll pay every single one of the people who claim the world is going to end €100 if the world ends because of this thing. If the world doesn't end, then everyone owes me €100 each. How does that sound?

Kind of a win-win isn't it?

If the world doesn't end you rake in a few €€€; but if it does, you can just promise you'll send the money next week, but by then we'll all have been Spaghettificated.

Well not so much win win, as much as it is just win, since the world isn't going to end because of the LHC. The odds are something like 1x10^15 or something. Not going to happen.

P.S I take cash only.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Kind of a win-win isn't it?

If the world doesn't end you rake in a few €€€; but if it does, you can just promise you'll send the money next week, but by then we'll all have been Spaghettificated.

no guff :rolleyes:

I'm off to bed... If it happens while i'm asleep, i'll see yous all in the black hole 2moro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The thing is if there are actually odds that the universe could end then seriously. No. Bad scientists. BAD.

I do not believe for a second the world could end but it's pretty cool to live in an age where the possibility is argued over.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Nothings gonna happen. It's all gonna be one big let down

Sandor wrote: »
    The thing is if there are actually odds that the universe could end then seriously. No. Bad writers from the herald. BAD.

I do not believe for a second the world could end but it's pretty cool to live in an age where the possibility is argued over.
    Fixed.

there should be a live stream of them turning it on.. or is there such a thing already being done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

nothing is goin to happen, all there doing tomorrow is circulating one beam or at least they're gonna try to circulate it.
    No collisions will occur so there is no possibilty for black holes or anything else happening.
    The actual experiment i.e. collisions wont begin until october/november but realistically they
    must likely wont start till next year cause there is bound to be teething problems.

Advertisement