Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crucifix conflict splits Kerry county council

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

keane2097 wrote: »
    He makes "the opportunity to stand outside" sound like a new right that we ought to be celebrating.
    I'm sure the good councillor would be happy to provide some large conical paper hats for the heathens to wear during their little trip outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

robindch wrote: »
    I'm sure the good councillor would be happy to provide some large conical paper hats for the heathens to wear during their little trip outside.

Hopefully the opportunity to sit at the back of the bus is next on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what he is doing is making the option of a silent moment of reflection sound like a more reasonable compromise, its sorta okay but its really just prayertime but not out loud.

Limerick council chairman plans crucifix for chamber

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/limerick-council-chairman-plans-crucifix-for-chamber-275050.html
    He asked a wood turner in East Limerick to make a 4ft cross of Irish oak.

Mr Sheahan said he makes no apology for planning to place a crucifix in the new council chamber.

“But if the councillors vote not to have it put up, then I won’t do it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

It is my own private religion if you like.
    And that's why I want to abuse my elected position to shove it in the faces of those whether they share my view or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

He mentions a Christian country. Which one would that be?
    Isn't there horses on roundabouts or something for them to deal with? Its as if these councils sit around and pick out the least important thing on the list to discuss.
    Next up, Italian for lunch this Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's not a Christian country. It's a country with Christian people in it, and Muslims, Jews, atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, and loads of other beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Great to see Limerick Council wasting public money, making the city look like it's back in the Angela's Ashes era and being so inclusive.

What's next? Special non Christian tax ?

Limerick people : you elected this chamber. You should be embarrassed!

Just when you think Ireland's moving on into a new era - bang! It hits you in the face that aspects of the country are firmly stuck in the 1950s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

He mentions a Christian country. Which one would that be?

Lessee, the UK, Denmark, Argentina, Costa Rica, Alsace-Moselle in France, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, Greece, Georgia, Iceland, Norway, Tuvalu.

I'd include the Vatican here too, but as it derives its legitimacy solely from a treaty made with a fascist dictator, that would be like describing the Nazi founded General Government as the sole legitimate authority for Poland.

Edit: Forgot Armenia, always forget Armenia.

@SpaceTime I didn't, I spoilt my ballot, so nobody could blame me. I should have gone with the giant penii sketches I was considering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,097 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nearly cracked up when I read the first sentence of this today

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/problems-of-the-irish-village-require-immediate-action-1.1862154
    Recently elected county councillors in rural Ireland are setting out priorities.

Yeah. Putting f##king crucifixes up. You really, really couldn't make this up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

one of the articles mentioned it might be against equality legistlation which law exactly?

ah

Atheist Ireland says the placement of a cross in a council chamber represents the promotion of the supremacy of one religion over other religions and none.
    This, they argue, is contrary to both the Equal Status Act and the Employment Equality Act.
    Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland said his organisation will ask the Equality Authority to look into the matter: http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/crucifix-in-council-chamber-to-be-referred-to-equality-authority/
    He claimed that putting a crucifix in the chamber was “checked out” and that it was found not to controvene any law.

Not in breach

“Information was given to the secretary of Kerry County Council. When the motion was passed, it was all checked out with the law and no infringements were found. It wouldn’t have gone up if there had been,” he said.

http://www.thejournal.ie/crucifix-kerry-count-council-1502672-Jun2014/

oh

A hundred religious symbols hanging on a wall?
    http://www.atheist.ie/2014/07/a-hundred-religious-symbols-hanging-on-a-wall/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In a nutshell, I would say the issue is that if a crucifix can be put up, then symbols of other religions, and also atheism, should also be permitted and given equal status. The councillor's answer to that would be that anyone else is welcome to submit their proposed symbol for a council vote, just as he did. Obviously it would be voted down, but it would have had "an equal opportunity".

What we really need is a stronger constitutional separation between church and state. There was an opportunity to look into that last year, when a constitutional review group met, but they avoided the issue, apparently because it seemed too difficult or controversial. That was despite having a strong democratic mandate with a huge number of public submissions asking them to tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Fianna Fáil needs to be held accountable for this.

We pay to maintain political parties which this public money to get their candidates elected and then they fall silent when their members use their positions for extraneous, personal reasons.

Has Micheál Martin been asked for a comment yet?

Banbh wrote: »
    Fianna Fáil needs to be held accountable for this.

We pay to maintain political parties which this public money to get their candidates elected and then they fall silent when their members use their positions for extraneous, personal reasons.

Has Micheál Martin been asked for a comment yet?

money angle is interesting, some councils/councillor have discretionary funds that be spent on anything aslong they voted through by other councillors ( who generally not impinge on what others spend n bcause they expected their discretionary spending to be waived through too) mayor usually get an extra expenses allowance, maybe he is using that, the extra mayoral pay has greatly reduced in past month but not sure about their expenses.

for galway would limerick be in the same band

http://connachttribune.ie/galway-presses-reversal-cut-allowance-mayor/
    One of the measures he introduced was to slash the Galway City mayoral allowance from €48,000 a year and to cap it at just €20,000 a year.

That €20,000 includes a taxable mayor’s ‘wage’ of €10,000 plus €10,000 for gifts and functions, which must be vouched.

It's stuff like this that makes me contemplate emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 yellowfish

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's stuff like this that makes me contemplate emigration.

Don't go yet!

"n a letter sent to Ms Murrell this week, Atheist Ireland said that their organisation wants answers as to why council bosses conceded to a request by Mayor of Killarney, Councillor John Joe Culloty, to have the crucifix placed on the wall in the new council chambers which opened after the local elections in May."

http ://www. kerryseye.com/news. html

• Registered Users Posts: 33 yellowfish

You will need to close the gaps in the above link,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

swampgas wrote: »

One of these days I will learn what a standard size of a crucifix is. Is there an SI unit of measurement? Is it metric or imperial? How can I calculate the holiness when given the size?

Well the only message it sends out is : Welcome to Kerry. Please set your clocks to 1950.

Between this and having councillors on prime time German television basically being ridiculed about their plans to introduce drink driving, the voters of Kerry really need to accept responsibility for this. They voted these people in, they're their democratically elected representatives so one can only assume these policies have support in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

One of these days I will learn what a standard size of a crucifix is. Is there an SI unit of measurement? Is it metric or imperial? How can I calculate the holiness when given the size?
    A Standard Crucifix is made to a scale of 0.85 life size, and can accommodate one skinny jesus. It contains one full measure of holiness.

A slightly bigger, actual life size crucifix, would be able to support a fat jesus, and would contain 1.12 units of holiness, but it would not fit in through the door of a church or a Kerry council chamber.

You need to consult the Book of Kerry Standards.

It covers sizes of crucifixes, the load bearing calculations for town centre stands for goats and a set of technical standards for Lovely Girls and also the viscosity specification for oil for for use in comb overs for politicians.

Crusifixes are covered under KYS 290/A : 1957

Advertisement