Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour told No to JSA,after finishing 3rd level

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

paddy147 wrote: »
    Neighbour went for a meeting with the social wellfare information officer this morning.

Shes fully entitled to half rate Job seekers payment and backdated to Febuary too.

So she "IS" entitled to half rate benifit and her lone parents allowance.And thats directly from the social wellfare information officer,who went through her records this morning in the meeting with her.

The officer actually commended her and thanked her on bringing all the emails and letters that proved she was looking for work and also the replies back from places like the OPW.

Some of you seem to be talking through your ar5es when it comes to being so called "know it alls" here on this forum.

I suggest that you get the facts right when it comes to telling people that you cant get 2 different SW payments,or that a lone parent cannot claim fora job seekers payment,when they clearly can

Some of you dont have a clue and are giving out completely false and useless/untrue information here and also miss-informing others here too.:mad:

Regards.

While i agree with your statement about "know-it-alls", with all due respect, what exactly do you expect from posting on an online forum? You are using the internet to ask people something, who in turn use the internet to answer the question while putting their own spin or reading of it too. If i remember your original question correctly, you were asking was your neighbour entitled to JSA, which plain and simply she isn't.

At the end of the day, there are only 2 means tested payments a person can receive at any one time (OFP and half-rate carers), but you can receive the half-rate of a contribution-based payment (such as maternity, jobseekers or illness benefit) with widows pension or the one parent family payment.

And anyways, why such an interest in your neighbour????

(just kidding :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Some of you seem to be talking through your ar5es when it comes to being so called "know it alls" here on this forum.
    when it comes to social welfare, you can know EVERYTHING rule wise and still the discression of the person processing the claim can make all the difference.

the ONLY person qualifed to say whether you are going to get a cheque every week is the claims officer.
    Not even very well informed citizens information officers who are paid to tell you what you should be getting can tell you what you will eventually get.

And before you call all of boards a crowd of b@stards for saying that your friend doesnt qualify and we are giving out misleading information.
    Your original post states that the WELFARE originally said that she wasnt qualified.
    If the welfare (not boards heads) last week had their information right in the first place, their misleading information, then you wouldnt have posted in the first place!!

EDIT: from OP
    She went to the Social Wellfare office on Thursday to see if she could apply for Job Seekers benifit or Job Seekers Allowance.

She was told NO,that she was not entitled to even half rate JSA or JSB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

eddiehen wrote: »
    While i agree with your statement about "know-it-alls", with all due respect, what exactly do you expect from posting on an online forum? You are using the internet to ask people something, who in turn use the internet to answer the question while putting their own spin or reading of it too. If i remember your original question correctly, you were asking was your neighbour entitled to JSA, which plain and simply she isn't.

At the end of the day, there are only 2 means tested payments a person can receive at any one time (OFP and half-rate carers), but you can receive the half-rate of a contribution-based payment (such as maternity, jobseekers or illness benefit) with widows pension or the one parent family payment.

The original wellfare chap behind the desk,doesnt or didnt seem to have a clue himself,as he got all his facts wrong too and obviously couldnt have been bothered to look at the computer screen propperly(according to the officer).

Because I dont like seeing genuine honest people getting messed around and being told that they cannot get or claim this or that,when they actually "genuinely and legally" can,thats why.

Thanks and regards.:)

Needless to say that my neighbour is alot happier today,and feels vindicated by this meeting with the officer.The fact that she also had all her documentation there as proof with her was a very helpfull aid to her.

So for any of you that have been told NO by a local SW departemt,dont accept No just like that.Go and check it out further (arrange a meeting with SW Information Officer and bring all your paperwork as proof).

Have a good day.

Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

when it comes to social welfare, you can know EVERYTHING rule wise and still the discression of the person processing the claim can make all the difference.

the ONLY person qualifed to say whether you are going to get a cheque every week is the claims officer.

Tripe.
    There is no discretion involved, rules are rules and if you're entitled you will get it, if not, you won't. Fair enough the original officer made some silly mistakes but doesn't everybody? If you're not happy with the response you get complain to them, don't come onto Boards and do it here because i can assure you it will do sweet f.a. for your cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

eddiehen wrote: »

I hope your ready for a torrent of abuse my good fellow :eek: Anyway I'm glad the OP's neighbour had her way in the end.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Half-rate Jobseeker's Benefit with another social welfare payment

If you are getting a Widow's/Widower's Pension, a One-Parent Family Payment or a deserted wives payment from DSFA and you meet all the conditions for Jobseeker's Benefit, you will be entitled to half the normal rate of Jobseeker's Benefit. An Increase for a Qualified Child is not paid with Jobseeker's Benefit in these cases because you are already being paid for your children in your main payment.

From here http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Lone parents benefit is 188 a week and 29 per child on top of that (If i read it corectly)
    (So almost 1:1 same as the unemployment benefits)

on TOP of that, theres the top ups like you get with the unemployment benefits, to quote:
    "If you get a One-Parent Family Payment you can use the Household Budget Scheme to help you manage your bills. You may also be eligible for other benefits such as Fuel Allowance, Family Income Supplement, the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme or a medical card."
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html

on TOP of that again, as shes on low income she will be getting rent allowance which pays almost all of her rent.

on TOP of that again, 150 odd euros per child per month in childrens allowance.

Its not a luxorious living, but with all the allowances totted up, its pretty damn generous at the same time.[/QUOTE]

God if you are getting your rent paid for medical cards etc. Its no wonder people wont take jobs. You will hear it said when all payments added up it works out 40k a year to keep people off poverty line . Question id like to know is people earning less than this are they below this ?

tommy21 wrote: »
    I hope your ready for a torrent of abuse my good fellow :eek: Anyway I'm glad the OP's neighbour had her way in the end.

Torrent of abuse?

Where did I unleash a torrent of abuse on you.???

Please tell me,as I would like to know

I replied in a straight forward and non abusive manner to "your" presumptious and false comments about myself and my neighbour.

My reply to you was not a torrent of abuse,nothing of the sort in fact.

Maybe you should re-read my reply to your presumptious post,before you jump to and post anymore false/untrue comments about me.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Torrent of abuse?

Where did I unleash a torrent of abuse on you.???

Please tell me,as I would like to know

I replied in a straight forward and non abusive manner to "your" presumptious and false comments about myself and my neighbour.

My reply to you was not a torrent of abuse,nothing of the sort in fact.

Maybe you should re-read my reply to your presumptious post,before you jump to and post anymore false/untrue comments about me.

Regards.

Did I mention you anywhere in that post?:confused:

• Advertisement

tommy21 wrote: »
    Did I mention you anywhere in that post?:confused:

A "presumptious" and also a "jab" of post aimed at me and refering to my original post/reply to you.

I didnt come down in the last rain shower,so dont try it on with me.

Regards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

OK I am locking this thread. It is seriously gone into car crash territory.
    Users sniping at each other goes against the spirit of this forum. If people have an issue with posts on this forum, report it and the moderators will get to it as soon as I can. It is very telling I have received no reported posts from this thread at all.

OP people on this forum are just trying to assist and advise people on their entitlements. They are not staff of the departments in question and are here off their own backs to try help people out.
    Based on the information you gave in your first post, people advised you correctly.
    Your information was your neighbour has just finished up college, the presumption being she has not been working to put up stamps to entitle her to JSB. She cannot claim both JSA and OFP - they are both means tested payments, its either one or the other.
    If the welfare office have informed her differently than people on here, it is because they have further information regarding her circumstances and can see her contribution record.

And by the way, the word is Thanks to all those who tried their best to advise you correctly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement