Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour told No to JSA,after finishing 3rd level

Options
  • 11-04-2011 12:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Me and my neighbour were chatting yesterday evening in the front garden about how the country is going at the moment.

Shes 28 and graduated from 3rd level collage recently(last October).

Shes also a single mother and gets lone parent allowance.

Shes applied for allmost every job that she has seen and has several emails to prove this and also she was told by the OPW (via email) that they have her CV but theres no jobs,due to the 5 year employment embargo.

Her only income is her lone parents allowance.

She went to the Social Wellfare office on Thursday to see if she could apply for Job Seekers benifit or Job Seekers Allowance.

She was told NO,that she was not entitled to even half rate JSA or JSB.

Is this right???:confused:

Shes looking for work,has the emails to prove this,but she cannot get any assistance from the Social Wellfare

How in the hell is she meant to get any JSA or JSB money from them,seen as she cannot get a job and the way things are going wont get a job for a long time.

Surely shes entitles to something,even half weekly rate????:confused:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

She's getting one Social Welfare payment so she cannot claim a second one. Its one or the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

She's getting one Social Welfare payment so she cannot claim a second one. Its one or the other.

She was actually told by the chap in the SW office,that it was to do with her stamps and prsi and not having enough of them???

So evidently,she can claim both,but its to do with having a certain amount of stamps??

Im only saying what she told me when we were chatting away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

paddy147 wrote: »
    She was actually told by the chap in the SW office,that it was to do with her stamps and prsi and not having enough of them???
    I knew they were looking into the half rate allowance, so fair play to FG is they've done it already.
    if she's meantested she'll have to rely on jobseekers benefit, so it's probably time for your friend to contribute to the system a little before trying to draw money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

So evidently,she can claim both,but its to do with having a certain amount of stamps??

Im only saying what she told me when we were chatting away.

There is talk of changing the rules re double payments but, for the moment, if she had the necessary prsi etc., she could apply for half Jobseekers Benefit (see below). She wouldn't have any entitlement to any part of a Jobseekers Allowance payment while on a One Parent Family payment.

To get a half-rate second payment (except Carer's Allowance), you must first be claiming one of the following social welfare payments:

Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension
    Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension
    Deserted Wife's Payment
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Death benefits or survivor's benefits under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme, such as Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's Pension and Dependant Parent Pension.
    In addition, you must satisfy the social insurance contribution and other conditions to one of the following payments:
    Jobseeker's Benefit Illness Benefit
    Maternity Benefit
    Incapacity Supplement

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/claiming_two_social_welfare_payments.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

This information is not correct. I receive a widowers cont. pension and I am a student. I can claim half rate JB when I finish college as I have enough PRSI contributions made. SW confirmed this before I returned to college. I am unsure if the op's friend can claim half rate JB while on lone parents allowance but it is worth her checking it out with SW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Posters should also remember the requirement that to receive Jobseekers Benefit, that the applicant must have suffered a substantial loss of employment, so its not just a matter of having the stamps, the person must have been in employment and lost at least one day of that employment before qualifying for JB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Posters should also remember the requirement that to receive Jobseekers Benefit, that the applicant must have suffered a substantial loss of employment, so its not just a matter of having the stamps, the person must have been in employment and lost at least one day of that employment before qualifying for JB.
    ....and be looking for available for and fit for full-time work, and be able to prove looking for work....:eek:

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    it's probably time for your friend to contribute to the system a little before trying to draw money out of it.

You obviously did not read the part where I said "she got her degree from 3rd level collage last October and has applied for every job going and has emails and letters to back this up and also replies from the OPW about the employment embargo and the next 5 years.

So do me a favour,shut up with your dumb ass idiotic posts and read what was posted originally with regards the lady looking for work.

Because you dont have a clue what you are talking about.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

To answer your question OP

your friend is not entitled to JSA or JB however...

If you get a One-Parent Family Payment you can use the Household Budget Scheme to help you manage your bills. You may also be eligible for other benefits such as Fuel Allowance, Family Income Supplement, the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme or a medical card.

and more

One-Parent Family Payment and work
    If you take up full time work you may be eligible for extra tax allowances under the Revenue Job Assist scheme. If you want to become self-employed, you may qualify for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance. You can work in a FÁS employment scheme and still retain part or all of your One-Parent Family Payment. Contact your local FÁS office for details.

You can return to education through the Back to Education Programme and retain your One-Parent Family Payment, under certain conditions.

Transitional payments
    If you have been getting One-Parent Family Payment and you have earnings above €425, you are entitled to a transitional payment that is the same as one-half of your rate of One-Parent Family Payment for six months.

You can only get a transitional payment if you have been getting One-Parent Family Payment for a continuous period of at least 52 weeks.

New applicants with gross earnings over €425 will not qualify for One-Parent Family Payment.

If your pay from work is reduced
    You may be entitled to an increase in your One-Parent Family Payment if your pay is reduced.

To get an increase in your One-Parent Family Payment send a current payslip (showing your reduced pay) with a letter from your employer, confirming your new work situation, to the Social Welfare Local Office dealing with your claim.

If your pay is reduced your Family Income Supplement (FIS) payment will stay the same. If the number of hours you work each week is reduced to below 19 hours (38 hour per fortnight) you are no longer entitled to FIS. You should notify the FIS section if the hours you work fall below the minimum requirement. Find out more in our document about Family Income Supplement.

You may be entitled to an increase in your Rent Supplement. If you rent from a local authority or housing association you should contact them to find out if you are entitled to a reduction in your rent. If you are not getting a medical card or GP visit card you should find out if you now qualify.

Credited contributions
    If you are getting a One-Parent Family Payment and take time off work following the birth of a child you will get credited contributions.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BirthChildrenAndFamilies/OneParentFamilies/Pages/opfp.aspx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Ok people lets keep things civil,there is no need to respond to insulting posts that's what the report post button is for.Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

You obviously did not read the part where I said "she got her degree from 3rd level collage last October and has applied for every job going and has emails and letters to back this up and also replies from the OPW about the employment embargo and the next 5 years.

So do me a favour,shut up with your dumb ass idiotic posts and read what was posted originally with regards the lady looking for work.

Because you dont have a clue what you are talking about.:rolleyes:

But..... your friend hasn't suffered a loss ie she hasn't lost a job, so she can't claim an unemployment payment just because her studying is finished. If she was in employment, and had lost her job, and had the relevant PRSI contributions she may have had an entitlement to half rate Jobseeker's Benefit.

uoluol wrote: »
    But..... your friend hasn't suffered a loss ie she hasn't lost a job, so she can't claim an unemployment payment just because her studying is finished. If she was in employment, and had lost her job, and had the relevant PRSI contributions she may have had an entitlement to half rate Jobseeker's Benefit.

So shes 28,shes got her degree from 3rd level collage,cant get a job after countless emails and sending off of CVs to the OPW and various companies (and can prove it),but she cannot go and get any job seekers assistance off the SW office in the meantime.

So whats she meant to do,sit back for the next 3-5 years and wait till the OPW and Dept of Finance decide to recruit again??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

So whats she meant to do,sit back for the next 3-5 years and wait till the OPW and Dept of Finance decide to recruit again??????[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately thats life as we know it at the moment and a long time to come and it will even get worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Your friend is already being supported by the state, she is in receipt of One Parent Family Allowance. She can't claim an Unemployment payment, as she didn't lose a job. That's how the system works.

Honestly, your friend should widen her job search, she certainly shouldn't be dependent on working in with the OPW. She is unfortunately not the only unemployed graduate out there. In fact there are many unemployed people who are more qualified than her, with years of workplace experience.

It's a tough job scene out there, and unfortunately your friend should really stop obsessing with working in the Public Sector. It is very unlikely there will be meaningful recruitment in that sector for several years.

uoluol wrote: »
    Your friend is already being supported by the state, she is in receipt of One Parent Family Allowance. She can't claim an Unemployment payment, as she didn't lose a job. That's how the system works.

Honestly, your friend should widen her job search, she certainly shouldn't be dependent on working in with the OPW. She is unfortunately not the only unemployed graduate out there. In fact there are many unemployed people who are more qualified than her, with years of workplace experience.

It's a tough job scene out there, and unfortunately your friend should really stop obsessing with working in the Public Sector. It is very unlikely there will be meaningful recruitment in that sector for several years.

She has applied to the OPW and "other" companies too,shes applied for allmost all the jobs she has seen in fact,as previously stated by me above.

She cant get a job as no one is taking on people.

Anyway,thanks for the info.

Taken from the wellfare website.

So anyone care to explain how she still cannot get any assistance now,seen as she did leaving cert 10 years ago and qualified from 3rd level collage with her degree last October (2010)?????

Quote"
    Students
    If you have just left school you cannot get Jobseeker's Allowance. To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must be out of school for three months and you be at least 18 years of age.
    End Quote".

So shes 28,shes got her degree from 3rd level collage,cant get a job after countless emails and sending off of CVs to the OPW and various companies (and can prove it),but she cannot go and get any job seekers assistance off the SW office in the meantime.

So whats she meant to do,sit back for the next 3-5 years and wait till the OPW and Dept of Finance decide to recruit again??????

Unfortunately, the Civil or Public service looks like being a non-runner for the forseeable future, with the Gov now talking, as of this evening, about fast-tracking the Croke Park Agreement which will mean thousand of jobs being lost/ not replaced in the PS. I really feel anyone who's looking for a PS post nowadays.

Taken from the wellfare website.

So anyone care to explain how she still cannot get any assistance now,seen as she did leaving cert 10 years ago and qualified from 3rd level collage with her degree last October (2010)?????

Quote"
    Students
    If you have just left school you cannot get Jobseeker's Allowance. To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must be out of school for three months and you be at least 18 years of age.
    End Quote".
    Jobseekers Allowance is means tested. That means that all her other income will be taken into account, with some discards. As she is on OFP, which is also means tested, she will not get JSA as well. If she had enough PRSI contributions, then she would have an entitlement to Jobseekers Benefit or some fraction of it.There is a huge difference in the way Welfare treat JSA & JSB. And the rules are likely to get much tighter in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Paddy

Question does she want lone parent and jobseeker payments???
    How much is loan parent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

paddy you are looking at a very long document on welfare's website and picking sections which you think indicate that your neighbour should be entitled to a jobseekers payment. she or anyone applying for a jobseekers payment have to meet a whole load of criteria before they qaulify. yes she has finished her college course more than 3 months ago and yes she is looking for work but no she has not suffered a loss of employment and no she does not have required PRSI contributions and do you see now roughly how this works? practically anyone in this country at the moment could pick out some condition from that document, say they meet it and thus claim to be entitled to a jobseekers payment. a successful applicant for jobseekers has to meet all the criteria!

• Advertisement

dev100 wrote: »
    Paddy

How much is loan parent?

I dont know how much it is,as Im not a parent yet.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    paddy you are looking at a very long document on welfare's website and picking sections which you think indicate that your neighbour should be entitled to a jobseekers payment. she or anyone applying for a jobseekers payment have to meet a whole load of criteria before they qaulify. yes she has finished her college course more than 3 months ago and yes she is looking for work but no she has not suffered a loss of employment and no she does not have required PRSI contributions and do you see now roughly how this works? practically anyone in this country at the moment could pick out some condition from that document, say they meet it and thus claim to be entitled to a jobseekers payment. a successful applicant for jobseekers has to meet all the criteria!

Thanks,Im sure she will get to the bottom of it herself,in the end.

I think shes meeting a SW information officer on Wednesday to disscuss this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I dont know how much it is,as Im not a parent yet.

But are you looking to be a step-parent Paddy, you ole divil? Looking forward to your daily natters across that fence? ;) But seriously, don't take it to heart if people are a little defensive on here. Its difficult not to feel hard done by when you see what some get away with (I don't mean her) and it transfers across sometimes. But I would echo the advice above, she can only have one payment, and will need to look for any job, not just in the PS - which she been doing apparently so tell her keep looking, even abroad or volunteer some to upskill and make her CV more attractive.

tommy21 wrote: »
    But are you looking to be a step-parent Paddy, you ole divil? Looking forward to your daily natters across that fence? ;) .

Ive no romantic interest in my neighbour at all and never will have either,as I have an absolutely beautifull and loving long term girlfriend myself,and Im very happy too and wouldnt change a thing about my relationship with her.

Thanks for your presumption/thought though.

Ive no romantic interest in my neighbour at all,as I have an absolutely beautifull and loving long term girlfriend myself,and Im very happy too.

Thanks for your presumption/thought though.

Perhaps you need to enable smileys on your comp?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the lack of thanks for my advice!

Perhaps you need to enable smileys on your comp?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the lack of thanks for my advice!

Thanks for jumping to conclusions about me,just because my neighbiour happens to be a single mother.

Thanks for jumping to conclusions about me,just because my neighbiour happens to be a single mother.

Your welcome, I wish you both happy years together. :)

Your welcome, I wish you both happy years together. :)

Thanks.I have a lot of happy times and moment ahead of me with my beautifull long term girlfriend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

whats the problem?

Lone parents benefit is 188 a week and 29 per child on top of that (If i read it corectly)
    (So almost 1:1 same as the unemployment benefits)

on TOP of that, theres the top ups like you get with the unemployment benefits, to quote:
    "If you get a One-Parent Family Payment you can use the Household Budget Scheme to help you manage your bills. You may also be eligible for other benefits such as Fuel Allowance, Family Income Supplement, the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme or a medical card."
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html

on TOP of that again, as shes on low income she will be getting rent allowance which pays almost all of her rent.

on TOP of that again, 150 odd euros per child per month in childrens allowance.

Its not a luxorious living, but with all the allowances totted up, its pretty damn generous at the same time.

• Advertisement

Neighbour went for a meeting with the social wellfare information officer this morning.

Shes fully entitled to half rate Job seekers payment and backdated to Febuary too.

So she "IS" entitled to half rate benifit and her lone parents allowance.And thats directly from the social wellfare information officer,who went through her records this morning in the meeting with her.

The officer actually commended her and thanked her on bringing all the emails and letters that proved she was looking for work and also the replies back from places like the OPW.

Some of you seem to be talking through your ar5es when it comes to being so called "know it alls" here on this forum.

I suggest that you get the facts right when it comes to telling people that you cant get 2 different SW payments,or that a lone parent cannot claim fora job seekers payment,when they clearly can

Some of you dont have a clue and are giving out completely false and useless/untrue information here and also miss-informing others here too.:mad:

Regards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement