Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ancestry.co.uk - 14 day free trial

Options
  • 02-09-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I want get as much info as possible before registering on ancestry.co.uk to maximise my 14 free days. Is the info on ancestry.co.uk worth the effort?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you have English or Welsh records you need to get? Otherwise barely. US records aren't covered in the trial for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

It's always a good idea to have a look at the Card Catalog(ue) [this link is from the .com verson of Ancestry but I applied a United Kingdom filter] to look at the names of the record databases and see if they apply to your research, geographically any by relevant decade. That can help you decide.

There is also a decent amount of overlap between Ancestry and Familysearch databases so make sure you thoroughly exhaust Familysearch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I thought ancestry.co.uk covered the Irish records also.
    I was hoping that if ancestry.co.uk and Familysearch did overlap, then on ancestry.co.uk I could pay to view the actual record.
    There is no way to view the record on Familysearch. I was thinking ancestry.co.uk would be quicker than contacting the GRO.

I have a record where the maiden name is Rawley, but I *think* that the name may be Lowery and is badly recorded.
    Based on another record that might be another son. I think I am stuck now.. I'm at great, great generation.

MargeS wrote: »
    I was thinking ancestry.co.uk would be quicker than contacting the GRO.

From this, I presume you are interested in a Civil Registration cert? I'm pretty sure Ancestry do not have any digital images of birth, marriage, or death certificates from Ireland. They have Civil Registration indexes, transcriptions from some Civil Registration certs (mostly in the 1864-1880s time period) and indexed scans from a diverse range of Catholic parish registers.

If you want a Civil registration cert then the only two options are apply to the GRO or get the LDS microfilm, if they have the relevant years microfilmed (RootsIreland also has some transcribed Civil Registration records).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought ancestry.co.uk covered the Irish records also.

It does, but little that isn't free elsewhere. It has the "early Irish baptisms" which are handy for certain areas only - http://search.ancestry.ie/search/db.aspx?dbid=2533 but the bulk of those are on Familysearch anyway.
    There is no way to view the record on Familysearch. I was thinking ancestry.co.uk would be quicker than contacting the GRO.

In the case of certificates, Ancestry uses the same index and the only advantage it has is that it lists the other spouses on the same index page for weddings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ancestry.co.uk was helpful to me because my earliest records I could not find here in Irish records, when I searched on Ancestry I found my people were born and married in Ireland, went to England, had their children there, and then returned to Ireland, I also found them on UK census returns which confirmed all the correct names and ages of the children confirming I had the right family and the parents born in Ireland. I also found some army and navy records. Don't know if I can get much more now on co.uk. Does anyone know if I can just subscribe for a U.S. Ancestry site only or do I have to take out the worldwide sub (far too expensive for me) as I think America is my next
    port of call?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You can just use the access you have to find the records that you want and then request for someone else with the access to get them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Ancestry has original baptismal registers for some churches - not just transcriptios - for example St Andrew's RC in Dublin which has 1000s of names; it also has the baptismal register for Inishbofin, which was helpful for me. This is the list of parishes for which they have the original registers:

Addergoole
    Allen
    Annacarty
    Armagh
    Aughrim
    Backs
    Ballina (Ardnaree)
    Ballina (Kilmoremoy)
    Ballinakill
    Ballon and Rathoe
    Ballyadams
    Ballybricken
    Ballyconneely
    Ballyfin
    Baltinglass
    Bangor Erris
    Belmullet
    Beragh
    Caherlistrane (Donaghpatrick and Kilcooney)
    Canice's (Finglas and St Margaret)
    Cappawhite
    Carlingford
    Carlingford and Omeath
    Carnaross
    Castlebar
    Castleconnor
    Claddaghduff (Omey and Ballindoon)
    Clifden
    Coalisland
    Cooley
    Crossmolina
    Darver
    Donaghmore
    Easkey
    Emly
    Golden
    Golden and Kilpack
    Inishboffin
    Kilcloon
    Kilcommon Erris
    Kilcurry
    Kilcurry (Bridgeacrin)
    Kilcurry (Faughart)
    Kilglass
    Kill
    Killala
    Killursa
    Kilmacshalgan
    Knockmore and Rathduff
    Lackagh
    Lacken
    Louisburgh
    Louisburgh (Kilgeever)
    Louth
    Magherafelt
    Malahide
    Moneymore
    Mountrath
    Moy
    Moy (Clonfeacle)
    Mullingar
    Naas
    Portlaoise (Maryborough)
    Rathangan
    Rathvilly
    Skreen and Dromard
    Summerhill
    Termonmaguirc
    Tinryland
    Tourlestrane
    Tourlestrane (Kilmactigue)
    Tullow
    Westland Row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I have a record where the maiden name is Rawley, but I *think* that the name may be Lowery and is badly recorded.
    Is it handwritten?

Don't rule out Hawley, Hanly/Hanley, or Raleigh. They would have been my first alternatives I'd come up with, but maybe Lowry has personal significance to your search.

Sometimes I just want to go back in time and grab some Parish Priests by the shoulders and say "please write more clearly in the Register!".

In the 1901 Census there are 5 persons in the house - 2 adults, 4 children.
    One of the children Thomas is my great grandfather and I have his exact DoB, 14 Oct 1879.
    I found him on FamilySearch and it says his mothers maiden name is Rawley.

But I crossed checked this by searching for another child Patrick, who according to the Census was one year older. Making his DoB 1878 approx. I found a Patrick on FamilySearch and it says his mothers maiden name is Lowery.

So I'm wondering if Rawley was incorrectly recorded OR am I being too presumptuous?

• Advertisement

Why not get the marriage cert of Thomas's mother to confirm ?

Just a quick update.... I bought a baptism cert on RootsIreland and confirmed that it was Lowry and not Rawley!

I think I am starting to get the hang of this. Sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees. Now I understand what genealogists do!
    As frustrating as it is, the little wins keep you going...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hmm, small spanner to put in the works but Rootsireland does only have transcripts. Since there is a confusion about the name, I'd want eyes on the civil cert as well to be sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi

You haven't mentioned your grandfathers surname. I've checked the baptisms on Ancestry.co & I've found three baptisms for a child of Bridget Lowry/Lowery and a father, Thomas, with the same surname as the father of Thomas, son of Bridget Rawley born on the date you give above [I agree that it is likely that Rawley has been incorrectly transcribed]:
    Bridget , b. 18 Oct 1874, parents Bridget Lowry and Thomas, location transcribed as 'Lunny Bank'
    Mary, b. 28 Sep 1875, Dublin, parents Bridget Lowry and Thomas
    Patrick, b. 28 Apr 1878, parents Bridget Lowery and Thomas no location given.

There is a marriage for Thomas and Bridget Lowery 1873 which may be of interest; the certificate details [available from GRO] are Dublin North, 1873, Vol 12, p652.

I can find only one Thomas with the relevant surname for the fourth quarter of 1879
    Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1879; Registration district: Rathdown
    Volume: 2; Page: 860
    Note: Rathdown district refers to South County Dublin see http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Ireland-civil-registration.html for details.

Hope this helps. If your ancestors were from Dublin, you may be able to find free records of births and baptisms on www.irishgenealogy.ie

Other than that, it would be worth using the 14 day trial to find out as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

That 1879 extracted civil birth appears to cross-match with a baptism in Bray RC parish in Co. Wicklow. Parents first names match, and mother's maiden name is matching Lowry or Lowrey.

(Rathdown district also covers part of North Co. Wicklow)

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'd want eyes on the civil cert as well to be sure.

Strongly second this in all cases. Copy of original record, if possible, over index or transcription every time.

baptisms for a total of eight children for that couple between 1874 and 1889, all Bray RC parish

this appears to be the family that match on the 1901 census , at Ravenswell Road, Bray. Some of the family list Co. Dublin as place of birth so maybe they lived in the north of the town, i.e. Little Bray - the county border moved in this area slightly in 1898

Wow, that's impressive research work!
    I believe you are all right. I've requested the civil cert from the GRO, so it will be interesting to see what comes back.

shanew wrote: »
    baptisms for a total of eight children for that couple between 1874 and 1889, all Bray RC parish

Where did you get this info ShaneW, I though Church records were only available for;
    Carlow(COI)
    Cork & Ross (RC)
    Dublin(COI)
    Dublin (PRESBY.)
    Dublin(RC)
    Kerry(COI)
    Kerry(RC)?

The RootsIreland records for the Bray area are all parish transcripts as far as I know so another take of the details of these events vs the extracted civil records on FamilySearch. The FamilySearch films of the civil registers may be unclear, or some records hard to read. I have Bray connections so familiar with the area and one of the place/district names given on the extracted records i.e. 'Lunny Bank' makes no sense to me..

The civil record will include some details not included on an RC baptism, e.g. father's occupation, and sometimes a more detailed address. The Bray RC registers often dont include any address, or sometimes a very basic one like 'Bray'.

Dont know where you are located, but the Bray RC films are available to view in the National Library free of charge, although suspect with the King's Co. reference for Bridget you may end up widening your search a little..

There were burial records for St. Peter's, Little Bray online, which might have been relevant given the Dublin/Bray clues, that may show some details of the family but there seems to be a problem with the site at the moment. (St. Peter's Little Bray opened back in the 1860s, but only became a separate parish recently)

• Advertisement

Where did you get this info ShaneW, I though Church records were only available for;
    Carlow(COI)
    Cork & Ross (RC)
    Dublin(COI)
    Dublin (PRESBY.)
    Dublin(RC)
    Kerry(COI)
    Kerry(RC)?

RootsIreland - all from the free index

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

MargeS,

The records you refer to are the ones on irishgenealogy.ie and free. Rootsireland.ie is a pay per view site with many other parish records covering different locations. Shanew is a whizz with the search engine.

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Shanew is a whizz with the search engine.
    You can say that again, it took *several* goes before I could replicate his search parameters. But I'm learning...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Ancestry is so American orientated and hard to naviate so I gave up with the free trial!

There is too much data on this site!

owenc wrote: »
    Ancestry is so American orientated and hard to naviate so I gave up with the free trial!

Log into Ancestry.co.uk so the default searches focus on European records. Saves a few seconds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

There is never too much data!:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well its all cluttered and confusing on that site plus the free trail is for Americans.

Well its all cluttered and confusing on that site plus the free trail is for Americans.

There's a free trial for the UK/Ireland site also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A couple of months ago I had to upgrade my Ancestry/Familytreemaker (new computer) ... program kept crashing and since yesterday I've been locked out of it and cannot open any files. I need to get it sorted but the head is in the wrong place for that right now.
    Google search suggests lots of others have had the same issue.

• Advertisement

My Irishgenealogy link wasn't working yesterday; I found Bridget and Thomas's marriage in St Andrews RC, Dublin, 25 Aug 1873, http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9dd1780025936
    Thomas's parents were dead, Bridget, her parents and witness all appear to have been living at 24 South King Street. The copy of the actual register is at http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st_andrews_mf_1838-1880_ma_0459.

Advertisement