Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would happen if a Unionist ran for the Irish Presidency?

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

KeithAFC wrote: »
    A Unionist who is loyal to the Union does not believe in the ideals of the Irish Republic and its Irish Republican constitution. Any Unionist running in the Irish Republic is not a Unionist as far as I'm concerned.

In the context of Irish Republicanism, a Unionist would get nowhere in the Irish Republic.

Keith, i dont think you have the slightest understanding of southern irish politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

paky wrote: »
    Keith, i dont you think you have the slightest understanding of southern irish politics
    That is up to the people in the 26 counties of the Irish Republic who consider that the Republic. I think it is fair to say that is the republican constitution supported by the majority of people in that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Seven pages of total ****e - 10 minutes of my life that I won't see again. Night all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

the republican constitution supported by the majority of people in that country.

Given that there hasnt been a referendum since 1938 I wouldnt be so sure.

Given the number of amendments its had since (more than the Yanks and theirs has been around a damn sight longer) and the fact that it could still do with a damn sight more maybe its time to rip it up and start again ?

But I digress.....:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

That is up to the people in the 26 counties of the Irish Republic who consider that the Republic. I think it is fair to say that is the republican constitution supported by the majority of people in that country.

its hardly an irish republican constitution if it recognises northern ireland as a state.

• Advertisement

paky wrote: »
    its hardly an irish republican constitution if it recognises northern ireland as a state.

Its the constitution of a Republic called "Ireland". Sounds pretty Irish Republican to me ??? The fact that it recognises other countries which may happen to have other forms of Government hardly makes it less so ?
    What would happen if a Unionist ran for the Irish Presidency?
    All time, space and matter in the universe would be instantly destroyed in an explosion with the force of a trillion supernovas :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Mike 1972 wrote: »

All time, space and matter in the universe would be instantly destroyed in an explosion with the force of a trillion supernovas :pac:

...only to be reborn centillions of a second later in the event titled 'The Big Sash'

Nodin wrote: »
    ...only to be reborn centillions of a second later in the event titled 'The Big Sash'

But all time has been destroyed :confused:

Either way all thirty two splinter groups of the Real Continuity Dissident Volunteers would claim responsibility for the explosion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But all time has been destroyed :confused:.

....only Fenian time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well if a unionist ran for presidency he wouldn't get enough support from any council in ireland hence we'd never get a chance to vote for them and then we'd all have a laugh at the unionists attempted publicity stunt... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

If a unionist ran for president and got in he/she would be president

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Where did Norris say he was a Unionist ?

Being Protestant does not make one a Unionist. Even being of Anglo-Irish (or Ulster Scots) background doesnt necessarily make one a Unionist.

Not quite sure that he has ever admitted to such. But he apes a ludicrous British accent, which tells me thast he empathises with that tradition. Non?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Rather them then Norris tbh

Spread wrote: »
    Not quite sure that he has ever admitted to such. But he apes a ludicrous British accent, which tells me thast he empathises with that tradition. Non?

Nice enlightened post. :rolleyes: Norris doesn't ape any accent, that is his accent and if you have a problem with that it says more about you than him. As far as I understand it he considers himself Irish and has Irish citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Nice enlightened post. :rolleyes: Norris doesn't ape any accent, that is his accent and if you have a problem with that it says more about you than him. As far as I understand it he considers himself Irish and has Irish citizenship.

Norris has adopted that accent. Do you think he spoke like this as a child? If you do it says more about you than, er, him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

The candidate could definitely rely on large swathes of the Sindo vote...I'd say the Mail would back him/her as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    well if a unionist ran for presidency he wouldn't get enough support from any council in ireland

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council ;)

Cork City Council too

Spread wrote: »
    Norris has adopted that accent. Do you think he spoke like this as a child? If you do it says more about you than, er, him :)

Yes, but probably with a different tone before his voice broke. Norris is from an Anglo-Irish sort of background and lots of people speak like that - you should get out more. He was educated at two Protestant schools St.Andrew's College and the High School followed by Trinity and there's nothing unusual in the way he speaks. Judging a person by their accent is a pretty poor method in my opinion. :)

mikemac wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire Kingstown Rathdown County Council ;)

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dun laogharie is anything but a unionist town! Try greystones!

• Advertisement
Advertisement