Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Wear Watches hit the Google Play Store...Ireland too!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Just sleep on a QI charger bed?

*Runs off to patent idea*

A smart bed with charging capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ste- wrote: »
    *Runs off to patent idea*

A smart bed with charging capabilities.

nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Some Samsungs popping up on ebay already for ~£100 mark.

Like others I'm holding out to see reviews/price of the Moto, it looks lovely. If it's somewhere around €250 I think I'll treat myself to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm not sure it'll take off to be honest.
    The technology to do it has been there for a while and Sony Ericsson did one a good few years ago with very limited uptake.

A tiny screen with relatively useless information that is hard to interact with when your phone is in your pocket...

Call me cynical but I remain to be convinced that this will be the 'new thing'.

I'm in the same camp.

I dunno if Im just not "with" whatever "it" is anymore gadget wise but when I see apple and google shilling this watch thing I think its two companies trying to create a market rather than creating a product that people will want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm in the same camp.

I dunno if Im just not "with" whatever "it" is anymore gadget wise but when I see apple and google shilling this watch thing I think its two companies trying to create a market rather than creating a product that people will want

People said the same about tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

There's nothing in that video that makes want a smart watch, or think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

People are inherently lazy, giving them access to their smart device without having to take it out of their pocket is always going to be a winner. It might not be for everybody but there is a market there and wearables will become more and more popular in various forms over the next couple of years. People said they never saw a use for tablets and they'd never take off too but they are fast replacing consumer laptops as the choice for media in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

People said the same about tablets.

I saw the utility in tablets straight away, mainly because they'd been around in some form before apple ran with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The technology to do it has been there for a while and Sony Ericsson did one a good few years ago with very limited uptake.

A tiny screen with relatively useless information that is hard to interact with when your phone is in your pocket...

As a Pebble owner I can tell you they will absolutely take off, might take Apple to make it relevant to average Joe first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Samsung Gear Live gives you useful information exactly when you need it, like weather forecasts in the morning or messages as soon as they arrive. You can also say “OK Google” to ask questions and get things done by voice. Ask whether it will rain this weekend or send a message to a friend. Compatible phone required.

Its pretty much just sh*t so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Theres gonna be some cheating going on when students get a hold of these and figure out how to load all their notes onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Theres gonna be some cheating going on when students get a hold of these and figure out how to load all their notes onto it.

Or students will have to take them off their person during exams just like with phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Telchak wrote: »
    Or students will have to take them off their person during exams just like with phones.

Which despite being a condition of entry to an exam doesn't always happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Which despite being a condition of entry to an exam doesn't always happen.

Because people keep their phones in their pockets. It's a little more difficult to be inconspicuous about making gestures on your watch, especially if people are aware of such technology.

Up until now, and for a little while longer, people will be able to get away with something like a Pebble. A Gear Live on your wrist though is just not subtle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I think that's because it actually looks like a watch. Then when you need it to, it can turn into an assistant.

I only wish that someone would licence http://www.qualcomm.com/mirasol . An always on screen (you know, like a real watch) would be a killer feature. You're not going to be watching movies etc on your watch so you dont need a fantastically bright screen, just the ability to view the information.

The Toq looks like the best of the lot. Up to 5 days battery, always on display, wireless charging, ability to see the screen in any light..... Much better than the others IMO.
    Pity it hasn't taken off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

The Moto 360 does look beautiful but I can't help but wonder about the price? I'm thinking over the €300 mark, which is too much for me for something that is an accessory to my phone. Of course no one knows for sure but it looks much more premium, I'm sure more R&D has gone into it and looks like it could have wireless charging.

I expected the LG to be around the €200 mark but a lot of people seem surprised by the price so I'd say they will get a shock when the 360 is announced as IIRC some of the comments from before I/O where putting the LG under $200 and the Moto between $200/250.

I'm pretty torn on the LG or Samsung. LG has bigger battery and (slightly) bigger screen, the Samsung has higher PPI (not noticeable I'd imagine), thinner, lighter & heart rate monitor.

Reports on G+ on the Gear Live seem to say the heart rate monitor can vary by up to 10bpm and take a few attempts to get a result and the AMOLED screen is a bit hard to see in sunlight.

Moto 360 has been reported as going to be $249

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I wonder how frequently we'll "need" to up grade these? I'd imagine the current generation will appear stone aged before the end of next year.

I'm gonna stay on the fence for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

I ordered the Samsung but cancelled yesterday.
    I'm gonna hold out bit longer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I also had not interest until watching the IO conference but now I really want one! I take my phone out of my pocket dozens of times a day for little things which a watch could replace. I also use Google Voice a lot - being able to just talk to my watch to find out info, send messages, add things to my tasks list etc would be really brilliant. One day battery life is a major turn off for me. Like come on. I do not necessarily need always on I have not want a watch in about 10 years, I'd change for this but if I have to charge two devices every night and put it back on etc, bit of a pain. I was hoping it would be waterproof so I could just leave it on all the time!

I might hold out a little longer. Do we expect a whole raft of manufacturers to being out their versions? How long will the Version 2's of the ones just released take - and what else might they have?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Moto 360 for me anyway, looks like a real watch.
    Don't think the battery would other me, I charge my phone every day too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

OK, I'm sold. Just playing around with the Samsung and it is much nicer in reality and not as bulky looking as I thought it would be when on my arm. Just might need to shave a little square on my arm for the heart rate sensor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

Does anyone know if you can make or answer calls on either the Samsung or LG?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbf, as with anything i think google are going to carve out a market for this. As we all know these smart watches have been around before.

But i think Android wear is nigh coming at a time when the processors are miniaturised enough, the display tech is optimal and the OS is as a cross point where it can handle the inputs thrown at it. The likes of Google Now and Google voice projects were not available to the likes of Sony Ericcson in the past. Plus the customisation of Android to operate amongst other eco systems within the home will allow for so much cross platform functionality outside of just being cool and niche Android wear will become actually usable.

It seems Google might have just got this one right, and the timing seems to fit too.

Im very excited about the possibilities .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Good indepth review on Ars. I'm definately intrigued.
    I love my Pebble watch for the simple things it does and how I can read my notifications with zero effort. I can see myself asking for one of these watches from the OH for Christmas or my birthday

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/android-wear-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Some early reviews are up.

The Verge

In depth: What Android Wear is actually like to use
    In depth: Getting to know the LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live

I just cancelled my order.

Bad visibility in sunlight and charging daily where the two main reasons for me to cancel.

The price was also a factor. €200 doesn't sound bad for a smart watch, but when you think about it, you can get a Moto G for less than €150 and a Nexus 7 for around the same price as the watches .

I'm going to hold off and see what others think over the next few weeks. I'll probably wait and see what the story with the 360 is. That looks like it could be worth buying, these look cheap imo.

I'm avoiding The Verge reviews lately, they've become insanely biased towards Apple(see The iOS8 review), while they used to be quite non-biased. I'll be waiting for a review from mkbhd on YouTube before I make my decision.

I'm also holding out for the Motorway 360 review instead.

The problem it seems is that no-one really knows what they want from Smartwatchs, whether it be health checks or just simple notifications.

• Advertisement

Advertisement