Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Wear Watches hit the Google Play Store...Ireland too!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭emo72

i think the round one looks the business, is that the lg one? the one thats not out yet? there was audible groans at IO when they said it was out later in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

emo72 wrote: »
    i think the round one looks the business, is that the lg one? the one thats not out yet? there was audible groans at IO when they said it was out later in summer.

I had zero interest in Android watches until I/O today....

They are awesome, but over half the price of my N5 and with only a 1 day lasting battery I might hold out....

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Yeah, the Moto 360. Not a huge fan of that one to be honest.
    I like the G Watch but the Gear has more sensors...dammit Google..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭long_b

Spec comparison

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/samsung-gear-live-vs-lg-g-watch-vs-moto-360-specs-comparing-the-watches-of-android-wear/

For me fro what I've seen of these watches

Motorola >> Samsung > LG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Fieldog wrote: »
    I had zero interest in Android watches until I/O today....

They are awesome, but over half the price of my N5 and with only a 1 day lasting battery I might hold out....

What's so special about them? What will they do that my phone won't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

keith16 wrote: »
    What's so special about them? What will they do that my phone won't?

This :

Android coming to a screen near you: http://youtu.be/d36cIFCJvQs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

More than likely will never buy any of them, but the Moto 360 is light years ahead of the Samsung and LG. Even the press renders for the other two look a bit ****e. Screens look pretty poor in the hands-on as well, whereas the 360 looks excellent.

moto360lead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I want a Moto 360 so bad!!!

For no reason other than it looks lovely.

nedd wrote: »
    I want a Moto 360 so bad!!!

For no reason other than it looks lovely.

It really looks like a device that's a couple of generations ahead of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

It really looks like a device that's a couple of generations ahead of the others.

I think that's because it actually looks like a watch. Then when you need it to, it can turn into an assistant.

I only wish that someone would licence http://www.qualcomm.com/mirasol . An always on screen (you know, like a real watch) would be a killer feature. You're not going to be watching movies etc on your watch so you dont need a fantastically bright screen, just the ability to view the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Holding out for the moto 360 myself, it looks fantastic but I have a feeling will have a premium price tag far above €199

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Holding out for the moto 360 myself, it looks fantastic but I have a feeling will have a premium price tag far above €199
    I can't remember where I read it, but you're probably looking at €250 for it.

I have to say, I'm disappointed it's not out now with the LG and Sammy offerings. I had been thinking that the LG would be my first choice as I have a G2 and am considering a G Tab to replace my N7 later in the year and am pretty disappointed with the spec. That the Sammy is clearly a better option is surprising.

I'll hold out and see what the Moto is like, but I think I may end up waiting on for the next generation rather than being an early adopter.

In any event, will these be available in bricks and mortar stores? Would like to have a play around with them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Having to charge your watch every day is just... I don't know, did we not move beyond that technology a century ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm not sure it'll take off to be honest.
    The technology to do it has been there for a while and Sony Ericsson did one a good few years ago with very limited uptake.

A tiny screen with relatively useless information that is hard to interact with when your phone is in your pocket...

Call me cynical but I remain to be convinced that this will be the 'new thing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Both are impressive, but I'd consider them in the luxury-buy category. They'd have to be sub €150 to be justifiable, IMO. I guess give it a year or so and they will be bringing them out at that price range, and then they'll sell more to the impulse-buy market. Nice tech, but single day out of the battery and cost are the two bigs deal breakers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Motorola watch looks excellent. Might be tempted closer to Christmas as a present for myself.
    What watch would you guys consider the best ?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The Motorola watch looks excellent. Might be tempted closer to Christmas as a present for myself.

The Gear has more sensors, but a slightly smaller battery. I'd say its the better one here out of the two but I much prefer the look of the LG G watch.

emmetkenny wrote: »

Specs aside, I honestly couldn't bring myself to wear anything besides the 360.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I love the look of the Moto 360... It looks like, well a watch!

I think that'll be sold for around €250 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

€250 is considerably cheap for a "watch". Add all the smart functionality and it could be considered a bargin.

that said, these are luxury devices and the battery will be the main sticking point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

nedd wrote: »
    that said, these are luxury devices and the battery will be the main sticking point.

For the moment, just as tablets were seen for the first couple of years. Won't be too long before there's smartwatches around the €100 mark, and probably threads popping up of cheaper Chinese ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Nothing against the watches myself, but I now carry 3 'battery items' that need to be mollycoddled/recharged/whatnot every day..

I don't have gadget fatigue, just battery malaise.. I'm not into carrying anything more that needs a daily battery cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Having to charge your watch every day is just... I don't know, did we not move beyond that technology a century ago?

Get a qi wireless charging pad, surely you'll take it off at night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Get a qi wireless charging pad, surely you'll take it off at night.

Meh, lot of hassle taking off your watch and remembering it in the morning. Are any of these gadgets waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

They all are, or at least the two released at I/O are.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

I like the Moto BUT the blank bit at the bottom of the screen is a no no for me. If they had the full screen I would purchase the Moto.
    I ordered the Samsung over the LG for the heart rate monitor feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm not sure it'll take off to be honest.
    The technology to do it has been there for a while and Sony Ericsson did one a good few years ago with very limited uptake.

A tiny screen with relatively useless information that is hard to interact with when your phone is in your pocket...

Call me cynical but I remain to be convinced that this will be the 'new thing'.

I really dont like that the watches are heavily relying on voice to interact with them. I still think people look/sound like twats when using voice commands in public. The film Her only reinforced this.

Sensors are where it's at. HR monitor, pedometer, gyroscope. maybe even an IR blaster to control things...

I'm also interested to see if Apple make an offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

markad1 wrote: »
    I like the Moto BUT the blank bit at the bottom of the screen is a no no for me. If they had the full screen I would purchase the Moto.
    I ordered the Samsung over the LG for the heart rate monitor feature.

The only reason for the blank bit at the bottom is for the display drivers, which have to be plugged in somewhere at the side. It was an unavoidable issue with it and Motorola worked for months to try and get it around it, but it couldn't be done without massive sacrifices.

To be fair, it's a fairly small issue with it and it's still a lot more attractive than other smartwatches around.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Sonics2k wrote: »
    The only reason for the blank bit at the bottom is for the display drivers, which have to be plugged in somewhere at the side. It was an unavoidable issue with it and Motorola worked for months to try and get it around it, but it couldn't be done without massive sacrifices.

To be fair, it's a fairly small issue with it and it's still a lot more attractive than other smartwatches around.

It would drive me mad :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Meh, lot of hassle taking off your watch and remembering it in the morning. Are any of these gadgets waterproof?

Just sleep on a QI charger bed?

Advertisement