Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagulls nesting and being aggressive in city

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

snubbleste wrote: »
    In the past two days, I saw three dead blackbirds on the ground with some feathers scattered about and internal organs visible. Squawking seagull nearby guarding a nest divebombing.
    Horrid stuff.

If you watched Springwatch that is currently running on BBC2 you would see that all birds are under threat when they are young, the poor Bluetits were getting dragged out of their nest box by Jays they showed a lot of of birds getting attacked hard to watch but that is nature even Gull chicks were not safe

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Gotta love nature in action.

We noticed a while back that there are a lot less seagulls this year. I think that the council must have done a cull of some sort. That said, I've seen a fair few this weekend. But nothing like last year's number.
    It could be down to the weather. Everything will be growing and breeding like mad at the moment, so there should be an abundance of food out there in the wilds. I guess they just like fresh food more than our rubbish. Bastids, he good food belongs to us humans, they're not allowed it until we've had our fill and thrown it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gotta love nature in action.

We noticed a while back that there are a lot less seagulls this year. I think that the council must have done a cull of some sort. That said, I've seen a fair few this weekend. But nothing like last year's number.

Could be that they seem to be here in Tuam. **** are squawking at all hours of the day. There's one that seems to be around our house every ****ing day! He won't shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are far less on the shoreline west of Galway as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

hvQhkvf.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

snubbleste wrote: »
    hvQhkvf.jpg?1

To think that some people pay 30 pence for that pile of trash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It seems to have gotten much worse in dublin over the last few years but I haven't noticed it getting worse in Galway. Part of the problem is all these morons who bring bread down to the water to throw it in for some unfathomable reason. It's bad for the swans and ducks and it's one of the reasons there are so many gulls in the town, they are scavengers they'll go wherever they can easily get food. Not sure if it's the case in Galway but the ones in north dublin are apparently an endangered species and are protected which means killing them is a no no. But surely humane methods of relocation could be used. Also id like to see a ban on feeding wild ducks and swans. It partly the reason we have this problem and it's essentially littering. Gardai should be able to issue on the spot fines to people doing it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are protected Nation wide, no one mentions the huge amount of overfishing of their staple diet like herring and other fish, they have no choice but to go find alternative food sources, they have just as much right to be here as we have wiped out their sea food supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

MadYaker wrote: »
    It seems to have gotten much worse in dublin over the last few years but I haven't noticed it getting worse in Galway. Part of the problem is all these morons who bring bread down to the water to throw it in for some unfathomable reason. It's bad for the swans and ducks and it's one of the reasons there are so many gulls in the town, they are scavengers they'll go wherever they can easily get food. Not sure if it's the case in Galway but the ones in north dublin are apparently an endangered species and are protected which means killing them is a no no. But surely humane methods of relocation could be used. Also id like to see a ban on feeding wild ducks and swans. It partly the reason we have this problem and it's essentially littering. Gardai should be able to issue on the spot fines to people doing it imo.
    Throwing a bit of bread to a few birds is littering ...gudman there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I remember them dive bombing trying to take my snack from me at the Volvo Races, the other day I was eating my Deals food wrap before going into Seetec and this big gull swanned over like John Wayne to stare me out as I ate, needless to say I wolfed it all down with no situation out of control. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Proper wheelie bins might be a major improvement. Putting bags our on the street is always going to attract animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I remember them dive bombing trying to take my snack from me at the Volvo Races, the other day I was eating my Deals food wrap before going into Seetec and this big gull swanned over like John Wayne to stare me out as I ate, needless to say I wolfed it all down with no situation out of control. :)
    I'm sure it saw it was from Dealz and said it'd leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anteayer wrote: »
    Proper wheelie bins might be a major improvement. Putting bags our on the street is always going to attract animals.

Would be, if people had any place to store them. But we don't hence the bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Would be, if people had any place to store them. But we don't hence the bags.

Until there's a solution like communal bins, an impossibility due to the way we charge, you'll have animals attacking them.

The reason for the seagulls is there's a source of food.

Only solution is properly contained food waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Tombom1 wrote: »
    Throwing a bit of bread to a few birds is littering ...gudman there

Bread is extremely bad for birds

http://wildbirdrescues.com.au/feeding-native-birds/feeding-swans-and-ducks/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

xckjoo wrote: »

And generally throwing food waste into rivers just shouldn't be allowed. It's littering and they're wild animals if we left them alone they'd be more likely to leave us alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The size of the seagulls around this month. They are huge!
    and one of them shat on the neighbour's car roof, practically covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

There's a swarm of africanised seagulls coming up with the heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Those seagulls are smart féckers also. I was waiting in Eyre Square very early one morning a few weeks ago, and spotted a couple of seagulls going after some rubbish left next to a bin. They were ignoring plain-covered bags and going straight for the supermacs red paper bags.

On a separate note, has anyone spotted the lady who goes around town every evening around 5pm, with a massive sack of porridge oats. She scatters it every 10 or 15 yards for the pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

dilallio wrote: »
    On a separate note, has anyone spotted the lady who goes around town every evening around 5pm, with a massive sack of porridge oats. She scatters it every 10 or 15 yards for the pigeons.
    I have yeah, but it's not seagulls and is a private individual.

She's a complete pain the rear end, she's only feeding vermin and not the kind of wildlife we should be encouraging.
    You end having birds flying into peoples faces because she's feeding them on busy streets at 5pm with walking traffic disturbing then constantly.

These seagulls around the city are turning into a massive pest, they really have no fear either.

If they were appearing out at home and acting like this the double barrel would be put to use fairly fast but obviously it's not an opttion in around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see seagulls in the city centre jabbing away at trash bags and spreading the rubbish everywhere.
    It's not really their fault, they are just animals wanting to feed on whatever scraps are inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

These seagulls around the city are turning into a massive pest, they really have no fear either.

If they were appearing out at home and acting like this the double barrel would be put to use fairly fast but obviously it's not an opttion in around the city.

The Seagull is a protected species so no shotgun in fact as I said before we are responsible for what is happening as we have totally over fished their staple diet so what option have they , it's also illegal to destroy their nest although special permission can be obtained to do this if it's creating a problem. I have lived in Galway all my life and you would never see Seagulls in the City only on the sea shore but if we throw all our takeaways on the ground and into plastic bags and take all their fish who can blame them for coming into the City for easy pickings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I see a lot of foot pedal bins now around the city. Presumably for this exact reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

biko wrote: »
    It's not really their fault, they are just animals wanting to feed on whatever scraps are inside.
    Agree - its the other animals that are at fault. The human animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Will anyone rid Galway of those turbulent beasts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement