Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagulls nesting and being aggressive in city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

d0078f3dbc39a74512a56c3fa6e194f8ab411a204dfd16ce206b3f11070e6a09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

The situation is getting out of control - Much worse that I've ever seen before.

A major gull cull is needed.................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So, eh what happened to all the seagulls? The place seems dead without them

Meanwhile, there are rats all over the place. Was walking by the Augustine last night and there were three huge rats running along the building ledge unafraid of passers-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't seagulls migrate for winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,714 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    So, eh what happened to all the seagulls? The place seems dead without them

Meanwhile, there are rats all over the place. Was walking by the Augustine last night and there were three huge rats running along the building ledge unafraid of passers-by.

How many legs did they have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Saw a dead seagull in the middle of Henry Street yesterday. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

I discovered yesterday that someone is leaving out a huge amount of corn/wheat produce on the ledge. Deliberately, perhaps pigeon feed? No wonder the rats are huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Was having a bite to eat with my daughter in a cafe on west street Drogheda
    2 gulls came in and started eating off the plates, looked funny ar first:o
    Till staff tried to shoo they out using brushes.:eek:
    Then one of them just vomited ? all the food he had eaten onto the floor.
    Aw I have a weak enough stomach, But ill never go back there again
    seems this is the norm everyday.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

When reading this thread, I thought of the aggressive beggars in town.

Though I would prefer the seagulls, they're only birds and probably not high on heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Punch the head off the little ****s if they attack you.

When the f**k did people become so soft? This is how civilisations fall people! :mad:

• Advertisement

I discovered yesterday that someone is leaving out a huge amount of corn/wheat produce on the ledge. Deliberately, perhaps pigeon feed? No wonder the rats are huge!

Yup, there are couple of women in the neighbourhood who regularly leave out food for the pigeons.

Yup, there are couple of women in the neighbourhood who regularly leave out food for the pigeons.
    But whoy whoy. Do they not realise the damage they're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

But whoy whoy. Do they not realise the damage they're doing?

No as they both appear quite batsh1t crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

There is a house in Newcastle that used to (~3 years ago) leave out loads of food for the birds at around the same time every day. You could see the birds gather on the rooftop and ground nearby in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Yeah, I reckon he must have been leaving out fish; it was mostly seagulls that the food attracted. Would hate to have been the neighbours!

No as they both appear quite batsh1t crazy!

Harsh. But not that wrong.

From their behaviour, I'd guess that both live with significant mental-health and/or personality challenges, and one has few if any friends. I've been in a pub when one came in - thankfully the barman opened the door to let the breeze blow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is a house in Newcastle that used to (~3 years ago) leave out loads of food for the birds at around the same time every day. You could see the birds gather on the rooftop and ground nearby in anticipation.

Still going on every day at 1pm, it's a bungalow on the main road towards the Westwood, in fairness it's harmless they gather for the food then go afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

daveyeh wrote: »
    This is how civilisations fall people! :mad:
    You're thinking of the gauls, I don't think the gulls are quite as dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Doom wrote: »
    Take a big shìte beside the nest...that should do the trick

take a big ****e IN the nest :D

Woman on Liveline saying a seagull took her M&S chicken sandwich out of her hands in Eyre Square.
    It was a flying swoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

It's time for these gulls to be culled.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Long Gone wrote: »

Gulls are a protected species according to Bird Watch Ireland, they suggest that the best way is to discourage them from nesting in Cities is by removing their nests from City centre buildings etc. and any newly laid eggs. Believe or not the are a species that is in danger due to overfishing so its really our fault that they have moved into the City to get food.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe they're just following the lead of cats and dogs and have decided to domesticate themselves and live off the bounty of being a human pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Long Gone wrote: »

That's the current bandwagon view however then may need to be controlled not culled.

All culling does is free up territory & space for more gulls

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

So that big shíte or blast it with piss idea from last year didnt work? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

They're having issues with them across the pond too...... :D

Heard this on Sky News last night

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Eo5hIrO.jpg?2lQGkOIy.jpg?3

In the past two days, I saw three dead blackbirds on the ground with some feathers scattered about and internal organs visible. Squawking seagull nearby guarding a nest divebombing.
    Horrid stuff.

In the past two days, I saw three dead blackbirds on the ground with some feathers scattered about and internal organs visible. Squawking seagull nearby guarding a nest divebombing.
    Horrid stuff.

Gotta love nature in action.

We noticed a while back that there are a lot less seagulls this year. I think that the council must have done a cull of some sort. That said, I've seen a fair few this weekend. But nothing like last year's number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Gotta love nature in action.

We noticed a while back that there are a lot less seagulls this year. I think that the council must have done a cull of some sort. That said, I've seen a fair few this weekend. But nothing like last year's number.

Can't do a cull they are a protected bird

www.wildlifemanagement.ie/seagulls

Advertisement