Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Enough before I get banned!!!

I promise, no more interaction with my main man Vibe.

Ben

Back on topic. I just called into my local VF shop as I'm half way through my 24 month contract (resist resist :P) and as I'm paying extra for the option of getting a new phone every twelve months (isn't that generous of VF - resist resist ;) ) I asked when they'll have the N3 in stock and the manager of the shop told me they expect to have it "in 2-3 weeks". He said he hadn't been given any definitive dates yet.

Thankfully I'm not entitled to my new phone until mid way through November by which time I expect the initial rush of demand for the N3 to have passed and the first real users experience to be available. That will help me make up my mind between it and the S4. I had a quick look at the Sony Z1 whilst I was there also. Nice looking phone and the waterproof feature could be well handy but the screen isn't as big as it could be given the overall size of the phone + the battery life is supposed to be fairly poor.

I think I'll be sticking with a Samsung, possibly even the N2 unless the N3 user reviews are pretty impressive.

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BenThere wrote: »
    If consenting adults decide it's worth signing a 24 month contract to get the latest "irresistible" smartphone on a subsidised basis they should be down on bended knee to the network operator instead of giving out about them as clearly no one else, including family, friends or the banks, are prepared to loan them the money to buy a €600 phone :rolleyes:
    I just called into my local VF shop as I'm half way through my 24 month contract
    alrighty then, glad that we've finally cleared that up.

vibe666 wrote: »
    alrighty then, glad that we've finally cleared that up.

Like you mine is on a business account so it's not even "my" phone :P

Does that make me even more desperate for an "irresistible" phone?

Ben

no, it just confuses me even more why you have such strong feelings about it.

maybe we can move on now and just get back to the subject at hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

See this is why I went with O2 priority deal and got the Note 3 for under 530.

Also just got my tacking number so will have it tomorrow. Would have been nice to collect it since they are just in bray, but don't think they allow it.

Looking forward to it arriving, already have screen protectors here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Thor wrote: »
    See this is why I went with O2 priority deal and got the Note 3 for under 530.

Also just got my tacking number so will have it tomorrow. Would have been nice to collect it since they are just in bray, but don't think they allow it.

Looking forward to it arriving, already have screen protectors here as well.

Are you staying with o2? I am tempted to get the note 3 prepay from o2 with the priority code and then switch to three 30 day sim only option. I don't fancy being locked into a 24 month three contract and that would seem like the best option if the phone is unlocked.

no, it just confuses me even more why you have such strong feelings about it.

Trust me Vibe, I have no "feelings" for it at all. If I recall correctly it was your good self who felt strongly enough about the lack of 12/18 month contracts that you felt "screwed".

I just felt I'd contribute my opinion.

No biggie.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

so you're objecting to me objecting to mobile operators completely dropping 12 and 18 month contracts and not giving their customers a choice of anything except a 24 month contract or going completely SIM free for smartphone purchases?

plenty of people can afford a sim free phone but would prefer to spread the cost by paying some of the price of the phone up front and then going for a 12 or 18 month contract, but will want to upgrade their phone after that. those people (and i'm one of them) now don't have a choice.

my last contract with my HTC One X was 18 months and quite frankly it was too long to wait for my liking, so i'm very likely to be going to go sim free with the Note 3, but i would rather not have had to.

like i said, financially it makes zero difference to me as it's a business expense either way, i just object to having the choice taken away from me by the mobile operators.

no need to let a contract tie you down, I got the Note 1 with 3 in may 2012 and I've had the Note 2,Galaxy s4 and htc one since with very little extra cash input

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »
    no need to let a contract tie you down, I got the Note 1 with 3 in may 2012 and I've had the Note 2,Galaxy s4 and htc one since with very little extra cash input
    do tell. :)

or (no offence intended) but is it one of those things where they are insured and get broken? :pac:

I generally do it the same way. I got the S3 on bill pay, sold that for the note 2 and then sold that and got the S4, putting very little with each purchase along the way. Plus not waiting for a direct next generation of one device like going from s3 to the s4 means I loose much less in terms second hand value.

Sold my S4 for 430 and got the Note 3 for 530. So I'm happy with that.

I'm too clumsy for all that, my phones get a lot of use and are usually knackered by the time i get around to wanting a new one and they usually end up in a box waiting for me to get them fixed up until they end up being obsolete.

everything from my old n95, an n97, two n900's and my one x are sitting here in the room with me as i type this.

i think there's even an old motorola flip and a nokia 8850 in here somewhere! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Jack and Jill dude....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

How much is the phone on Meteor payg

bidiots wrote: »
    Jack and Jill dude....
    did I menttion I'm a hoarder? :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm too clumsy for all that, my phones get a lot of use and are usually knackered by the time i get around to wanting a new one and they usually end up in a box waiting for me to get them fixed up until they end up being obsolete.

everything from my old n95, an n97, two n900's and my one x are sitting here in the room with me as i type this.

i think there's even an old motorola flip and a nokia 8850 in here somewhere! :pac:

Sell me one of your N900's. I know that may sound ridiculous to some but anyone who had one would agree it was one of the best devices ever. I always hated selling mine but felt not using it would be worse.

Would love to play around with one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Any chance of limiting the thread to discussion of the actual phone?

All the frenzied blow by blow shipping accounts get a bit boring

anncoates wrote: »
    Any chance of limiting the thread to discussion of the actual phone?

All the frenzied blow by blow shipping accounts get a bit boring

Once people start to actually get the device, the thread will fill up more, but at the moment most discussions will revolve around the deals available since most networks only got it today.

Tomorrow will be a brighter day for Note 3 talk but again a lot of people will still want to know more info about the deals.

Mine will arrive tomorrow from O2 and I will report about it's lock/brand status for those interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Sell me one of your N900's. I know that may sound ridiculous to some but anyone who had one would agree it was one of the best devices ever. I always hated selling mine but felt not using it would be worse.

Would love to play around with one again.

I'd be interested in an n900 myself if the price was right. Great phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I've got one sitting in the cupboard for the last two years, I've used it probably 3 times when my S2 was in for repair.
    I think I'd still find it very hard to part with it.
    It was in a league of it's own when it came out, I never thought I'd be able to survive without a stylus and a slide out qwerty.
    On the Note 3 situation,
    I'm due an upgrade from Three since April but they can't assure me on boards or on the Mumbai hotline that I'll be able to get a 4G sim when they launch the service or whether I'll have to buy a 4G add on or whether I'll be stuck in a 3G contract, they couldn't give me a yes or a no on either so I'll be holding off for even longer for my Note 3 until they launch their 4G service. :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Ahhhh the n900 the all time great, I managed to get one from O2 for €20 when they were finishing with them. Still have it sealed in the box. Who was at the meego conference???? oh and who managed to get the lenovo laptop.... show yourselves :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just got my note 3 there about 40 mins ago and i am loveing the phone so far

Ok its big but i am getting used to the size fast

Its so fast and such a huge upgrade over the iphone 5

Only things i am wondering about is how do i use the spell checker ?

Also the the thing to drag out from the left hand of the screen how do i remove it ?

And last how do i make sure apps are closed ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Just hold down the back key

Sell me one of your N900's.
    my office is still all in boxes since we moved house (it was only Dec. 2012, so i haven't had time to get organised yet! :pac:) but i'll try and find them this weekend and let you know.

I actually won them in a nokia competition a few years ago when they were new and fancy. they wanted to give me two N97's but I already had one and that was enough to know that i didn't want any more of the fecking things! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Must say it looks really good, I'm tempted to jump from my Note1 to Note3.
    Then again I've been looking at Ultra Z too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Darragh, philthrill69, et al. Advertising, trading and the like is not permitted here. If you want to do so, take it to PM or to Adverts.ie. Any further commercial or semi-commercial discussions in-thread will result in moderator action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Once people start to actually get the device, the thread will fill up more, but at the moment most discussions will revolve around the deals available since most networks only got it today.

Tomorrow will be a brighter day for Note 3 talk but again a lot of people will still want to know more info about the deals.

Mine will arrive tomorrow from O2 and I will report about it's lock/brand status for those interested.

Well did you get it?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Please do. If its not simlocked to O2 and not branded then I'll pick one up to use on 3.

I rang 3 yesterday and they said I couldn't get one as I have 4 months left in my current contract and I couldn't have an upgrade. I said I'd be willing to sign up for another 24 months from now (it'd be the same deal I'm on now so not too bothered by it) but they said no. They were so rude I told them where to go. I'll get the phone and move network in January. Probably go off bill pay while I'm at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

is there anywhere cheaper than clove to get it sim free?

Panamoz.com is the cheapest by far! Mine is currently on route :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Just off the phone from 3 liffey valley. They don't have any yet, and told me early next week.

I'm seriously on the fence though about signing to a24 month contract where I'm paying 100 for the phone

I'm currently on 55pm unlimited everything tariff.

24 x 80/90 (I always go out of bundles for some reason) should get me the phone without paying anything. Imo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Im currently on emobiles unlimited tarriff, it is €35 for unlimited texts, calls and 15gb of internet a month. I dont really want to change tarriff as this is quite simply, the best one available on any network. Does anyone know how much id be paying for the Note 3 with them?

Oh, my contract is up in December.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Darragh, philthrill69, et al. Advertising, trading and the like is not permitted here. If you want to do so, take it to PM or to Adverts.ie. Any further commercial or semi-commercial discussions in-thread will result in moderator action.
    Show me where I tried to sell or advertise my N900?
    Was it where I said I'd find it very hard to part with it???????
    We're here to talk about the Note 3 so as moderator it would be more in your line to clamp down on the dick measuring contest that occurred a few pages back on how the networks are and aren't screwing us with 24 month plans.

Had a look at the 12 mouth contact from eMobile the phone should have been 309 euros but i only paid 129 euros on upgrade thank you eMobile :D

But its such a nice phone for everything i have been at it all mooring just setting up everything the way i wont on the phone

Also the one thing i have note that is missing from the phone when on boards or txts is a spell checker and badly need one with having dyslexia as that is the only thing i am missing from my iPhone 5

Whats the best way to do something about this ?

Brown box delivered by an post from Bray :D I won't be home till 10pm :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Just off the phone from 3 liffey valley. They don't have any yet, and told me early next week.

I'm seriously on the fence though about signing to a24 month contract where I'm paying 100 for the phone

I'm currently on 55pm unlimited everything tariff.

24 x 80/90 (I always go out of bundles for some reason) should get me the phone without paying anything. Imo

i signed up to get notice from 3 and i got a text from 3 yesterday saying i can now buy the note 3 and it gave me a link directing to their website where i could buy it. so i is available from them . im just waiting for vodafone to release it as they have better reception in my area

as moderator it would be more in your line to clamp down on the dick measuring contest that occurred a few pages back on how the networks are and aren't screwing us with 24 month plans.

We can't officially complete the contest you referred to until we have the new macro zoom capability of the N3 available to us.

Results to be posted ASAP ;)

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I phrased my post a little too rudely. Wasn't a swipe at you.

Obviously I'd like to hear what you think of the phone when it arrives as I'm due an upgrade soon and would love a Note 3 pending reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Guys, can you please shut up and focus on the topic?! What are you 12 or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

@Samapple
    How did you manage to get it for just over 100?
    I'm on contract for unlimited everything and it ends in December, was told that I couldn't upgrade until next month and the current price is set at 309....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

bidiots wrote: »
    @Samapple
    How did you manage to get it for just over 100?
    I'm on contract for unlimited everything and it ends in December, was told that I couldn't upgrade until next month and the current price is set at 309....

Really have no clue how i got it for that LoL as they told me 339 at 1st and i was that is way to much and the girl on the phone was like wait thats a mistake its 129 i replyed with deal sign me up LoL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Up to order on Vodafone for 650 PAYG and here are the bill pay options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

iwo wrote: »

yep - if you do a bank transfer you get 5% off too. so worked out for me €597 (still a boat load of lettuce :eek:)

So, my phone arrived this morning at around 10:30 from O2. Sadly it was branded and locked and I use the word was as I have removed branding by flashing another rom and used unlock.ie to get my code(only €20).

So have it up and running with my three sim card and it works flawlessly.

First few things to note( pun intended). It's a beast on steroids and feels very smooth. The screen is incredible. The plastic/leather looking back is extremely nice up close and feels really nice when holding the device.

The s-pen is much easier to write with at an angle compared to the Note 2 and it's epic that we can now use the s-pen on the menu and back button.

Anyone have any questions just let me know.

274384.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Im currently on emobiles unlimited tarriff, it is €35 for unlimited texts, calls and 15gb of internet a month. I dont really want to change tarriff as this is quite simply, the best one available on any network. Does anyone know how much id be paying for the Note 3 with them?

Oh, my contract is up in December.

I'm on the same tarrif.. I switched to a new one that is €24 for 6 months and then €39 for the remainder of the contract. It's €199 (€189 online) for the note 3. U also get a 4g sim on that contract.

Went from the S4 to the note, had an upgrade so just went for it.. It's really not as big as I thought, I really like it.. It's damn fast, coming from the S4 it's easy to notice how much faster it is. The camera app opens near instantly.. everything is silky smooth..

• Advertisement

Thor did you trip the knox flag when you flashed the rom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Up to order on Vodafone for 650 PAYG and here are the bill pay options.

Thanks Pedro, just ordered. Too late for delivery tomorrow..:(

Thor,

does the new material on the back plate and all round bezel negate the need for a cover?

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

does the new material on the back plate and all round bezel negate the need for a cover?
    From damage tests on youtube, I've seen scratching on the back camera because it does jut out.
    Thanks Pedro, just ordered. Too late for delivery tomorrow..:(

I posted as soon as I saw it online and was disappointed myself for missing the deadline. All in good time I suppose.

Thor,

Ben

Not really, I would always recommend a cover. It is much nicer than the Note 2 or S4 but protection wise a cover would be the best thing.

Going to get the UAG cover once it is out for the Note 3. I spoke to UAG and they said there new cover for the Note 3 is the best they have made yet. So really looking forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement