Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heroes Reborn [NBC] [** Spoilers **]

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

So, 5 episodes in now and I still don't see the point.... I've always been a Heroes fan and when this was announced, I was super excited that they were gonna get the chance to go back to basics and have some great characters with interesting reactions to their powers etc. but it's really all just a mess of gibberish... There are way too many characters and I really don't care about any of them. I know I'm supposed to particularly care about HRG but, without a strong character to bounce off or a family to protect, he's really falling flat. His relationship with Claire kinda got annoying to me by the end of season 4 but, looking back, it gave him a motivation that his character no longer has.

As well as that, none of the characters have common goals. There's nothing drawing them together. Let's compare this to the original show (going to IMDb to look up 'Reborn' character names)...

Noah Bennett - A man who is searching for answers as to who caused an explosion/how his daughter died. This isn't really an engaging story because we have no sight of who could be responsible, how Noah can get the answers he's searching for and, for viewers new to the show, what his relationship with his daughter was even like. New viewers must find this really weird and disconcerting because they have no anchor in the story; not so much as a flashback to show their relationship. The reasons for this are understandable, given that Hayden Panetierre opted not to return to the show but, if they can't make the story-thread interesting enough, they should have opted for a different story.

Zachary Levi - Goes around murdering evos heartlessly because of the death of his child (it's all been so vague and washy that I can't remember if it was a boy or girl) and then finds out he's one of them, has a crisis of identity and starts being emo. Unfortunately for Levi, who is a strong actor, his character is poorly written. Though the concept for this story is compelling (if obvious), it's written as flat and emotionless as I've just described it. There's no heart to the story.

Tommy Clarke - A kid with a cool power who 'just wants a normal life' and has a parent who wants to protect him. The new incarnation of Claire Bennett, this character is... okay to watch. The kid is a likeable actor but, unfortunately, we haven't been given any more to his story than above and, five episodes in, that's just not good enough for a character's development.

Miko Otomo & Ren Shimosawa - These may as well go together as they're a double-act. Miko's story is boring because she's just searching for her father (who we never really met) and Ren is just a clinger-on who doesn't really do much. Miko's power kinda sucks and her banter with Ren is boring. They're cheapened by the fact that they're an extremely obvious attempt to rekindle the fun and joy of the Hiro/Ando dynamic.

Carlos Gutierrez - Ugh, the new Jessica Sanders, he's boring, unlikeable and annoying. And now, apparently, he's kind of Iron Man as well...? Mehhhhhh.

Erica Kravid - The head of Renautus, she is apparently the villain. Her motivation is that she's the villain, and not much more. From the start, we're hit over the head with her being the villain and her company being evil and stuff. What? Who cares? I dunno.

Emily Duval - The Zack to Tommy's Claire. Emily is actually quite a charming character, and well acted. She has a good part to play and plays it well, for my money.

Quentin Frady - Quentin is a good character with a good motivation. His sister has been kidnapped and he wants to find her because he loves her. He's likeable, a little comic and has a clear goal in mind. This works best if you have seen the prequel web series, "Dark Matters" where you actually see his relationship. But even if you haven't, the actor's charisma and passion makes his story much more compelling than HRG's, whose arc is quite similar.

Joanne Collins - Wife of Zachary Levi's character. Same drive (murdering evos) but more one-track. The actress is very annoying and unintimidating. We never fear for the evos when she's around, even though she's going to kill them. This is because we don't care about them and we don't fear her. So what's the point in her character?

Harris Prime/Clones - A block of wood in a suit would have more charisma than this wet fish of a man. He's boring and, again, not intimidating. He's supposed to be the 'muscle' for the bad guys but he's just not powerful enough to justify it.

Other person out in the Arctic - Um, she's got some sort of power to control the elements and an invisible friend. She has nothing going on except for a vague mention of how she's going to 'save the world'. Wut?

What's linking these characters? Nothing. Technically, they're linked by the fact that the world hates them and they're apparently being rounded up. But they're not being rounded up with any sort of zeal, except when it suits the plot. Some of them are being actively hunted (Tommy) while others roam free (most of the rest of the cast) because reasons. So they don't really have that in common. We've been told that some of them are going to save the world but how and from what? We don't know because it hasn't been said and we don't care because there's no mystery. Just saying "you're going to help save the world" doesn't create mystery in and of itself. So we don't care.

Post #2 coming with a run-through of the original series' characters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

We've been told that some of them are going to save the world but how and from what? We don't know because it hasn't been said and we don't care because there's no mystery. Just saying "you're going to help save the world" doesn't create mystery in and of itself. So we don't care

Didn't we see in Renautus what is coming?
    A massive solar flare that will wipe out 96% of the population.
    The altered Aurora Borealis ties in to what they're predicting so this is probably part of it. It also makes Renautus out to have a higher purpose.

Otherwise the show is really all over the place. I hoped that this was going to be a reboot to correct all that they did wrong towards the end of the original series. Not looking good so far.

From the original series:

Claire Bennett - Claire is a teenager who has just discovered she has a superpower. She's scared and worried about this and what it means for her. She just wants to be a normal cheerleader. Her story is compelling because she's an ordinary person in an extraordinary situation and doesn't know if she can handle it.

Noah Bennett - Noah spends his time kidnapping people with superpowers. We don't know whether his motivations are benign or malevolent. He's also a loving father but spies on his superpowered daughter. Is he trying to protect her from outside forces or is there something more sinister afoot? This is the mystery and it is a compelling one.

Peter Petrelli - Peter is, again an ordinary person in an extraordinary situation, unsure of whether he can handle it. He firmly believes the old Spider-man adage of great power coming with great responsibility. Peter will learn that his power is that, through his empathy, he can absorb the powers of others. While this means that Peter is, theoretically an unstoppable force of good, his youthful naiveté prevents him from making full use of his powers. This limitation on a powerful character gives him a challenge that he must overcome if he is to win the day. This is called an 'arc'. You will not find such a thing in Heroes Reborn.

Hiro Nakamura & Ando Masahashi - They're lumped together despite Hiro definitely being a solo act with some team-up stories in season one. Hiro is a great character because he's a big child who has to grow up fast when he accidentally discovers the grim fate of the world and is forced to use what little information he has to try to prevent it from coming to pass. His journey is laid out before him and it's an exciting one. Ando, even in later seasons, is little more than a sidekick but provides an important sounding board for Hiro and often keeps him on track.

Matt Parkman - A lot of people have a problem with Matt but the beauty of the character is in his flaws. He's an everyman. A cop with a bit too much around the waist and a lot of marriage troubles. Instead of focusing on his marriage, he buries himself in his work. His intentions are good but he's a pretty bad cop. This is called 'character'.

Mohinder Suresh - Mohinder bridges the normal with the fantastic. His quest is not unlike HRG's as he searches for powered people but, unlike HRG, his intentions are unfailingly benevolent. He is the eyes of the viewer; the normal person trying to unfold the mystery of the powers.

Sylar - Sylar is Peter's dark reflection. Like Peter, he absorbs other people's powers. Unlike Peter, he must murder to get the power and has no problem doing so. While Peter wonders if he is "meant to do something special," Sylar believes that he is the most special and all others are below him. What is most compelling about Sylar is the fact that, in his heart, he is a good man, corrupted by power. Late in season one, Sylar comes to believe that he is going to explode and destroy New York. He vows then to give up his search of power and just be normal. Driven by his mother's hopes that he will become more special, he goes back to killing. But the fact of his moral dilemma shows that he is not just the villain. He's a person. And the fact that he is Peter's opposite gives weight to both their journeys.

Nathan Petrelli - Nathan is Peter's opposite. He is self-absorbed, self-obsessed, narcissistic and tries to bury his powers. He motivates Peter at first by inspiring him and later by inspiring him to do better.

Niki/Jessica Sanders - Niki/Jessica is one character that, unfortunately, didn't really work. The idea was to have a character with multiple personalities, one of whom has super strength and is evil. Through her arc, Niki must overcome her personality disorder and gain the strength herself. This is her arc and it's a compelling one but, unfortunately, a bit poorly written.

Isaac Mendez - A drug addict who can paint the future but only when he's high. I mean, need I say more? Amazing idea.

What draws our characters together? Everything. A painting of a disastrous future. A message from Future Hiro that bad things are coming. Prophetic visions in Peter's dreams. All of the heroes are brought together by the stories and predictions established along the way. The stories conclude along the way but always add to the overall arc. Saving the cheerleader doesn't exactly save the world but it brings our characters together to a place where they can contribute to saving it as a make-shift team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Actually re-watched the original first season last week, even after a second viewing it craps all over this reboot.

Same as. I've been rewatching it on Netflix instead of this terrible show, and it's incredible just how good it is. It has aged so well. All the characters are engaging, yes, even Parkman to an extent. And it feels like it is really building to something great. The development of Sylar is fantastic - he is utterly evil and yet you sympathise with him. He never wanted his power and other hands guided him in the direction he went.

This time around.. it's like they said, "yep, the only thing we got from the original series is.. they have powers".

What they really need is a character like Hiro. They tried to do it with this new Asian (I genuinely can't remember if he was Korean, Chinese, or Japanese!) gamer guy, but got it so utterly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I wish they would've just used this as a way to wrap up the series completely instead of bringing in all new characters.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I wish they would've just used this as a way to wrap up the series completely instead of bringing in all new characters.

This is exactly what should've happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fun episode this week (and some casualties).
    They could tie themselves in knots with time travel, but it'll be interesting to see what happens in Odessa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

It took me a few weeks to get into it - at first I thought it just looked a bit cheap....., but I think I'm liking it again now.

Wonder if the father of the kids will turn out to be the show's equivalent of Darth Vader.
    They really went out of their way to hide Claire's face. Not a situation I would ever want to be in but I'm sure Noah would've at least wanted to see her face after going to the bother of finding her and confirm it is her. I guess passing on teleportation and elemental abilities took hers away from her.

• Advertisement

Yeah they could of at least cgi it in.

Also her dying makes no sense with what we know about her power from the previous show.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That emo girl who can control darkness seems to be able to nullify other evos powers, so they'll probably use her to explain how Clare could die.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wasn't there something in one of the old series about sticking something in a particular part of her brain to kill her? So presumably if someone removed her brain that would work too. I haven't yet seen any of the new episodes, though, so I don't know how that would fit in with the rest of the story.

I thought it might be the shadow one at first as well but she died before the shadow spread so seems it was just because she gave birth that caused her death. Don't know how but I guess will just be explained as her powers left her and entered the kids in a different form.

New Home wrote: »
    Wasn't there something in one of the old series about sticking something in a particular part of her brain to kill her? So presumably if someone removed her brain that would work too. I haven't yet seen any of the new episodes, though, so I don't know how that would fit in with the rest of the story.

Nope, apparently she was different from all other Evos, she did actually have her brain cut open in 1 episode and was told she was impossible to kill.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

New Home wrote: »

In the original Heroes she did have a stick that was in her brain, at the back of her head. It didnt kill her but it stopped her powers from healing her, once it was removed she healed again.

I'd say it was the darkness, that makes sense. Claire just had a traumatic childbirth that killed her.

Very clever episode. Great to see some of the missing jigsaw pieces fall into place.

Funnily, after my posts above, I actually enjoyed the following two episodes a lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,111 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Funnily, after my posts above, I actually enjoyed the following two episodes a lot...

Yeah the last 2 episodes were great and really shows how changing one thing in the past can drastically change the future. The revelation of Tommy's powers was a good explanation for what happened to Claire but didn't like how they portrayed noah seeing her.

Yeah the last 2 episodes were great and really shows how changing one thing in the past can drastically change the future. The revelation of Tommy's powers was a good explanation for what happened to Claire but didn't like how they portrayed noah seeing her.

Yeah, it woulda been pretty easy to use footage from season one of her lying dead in the morgue. Or at least, have him pull back the tarp and look at her face, even if the camera only showed his reaction.

• Advertisement

Great episode and interesting ending. 7957 was an interesting twist. :)

Think the one storyline I've no interest in is Carlos. Though don't know if it's because it's just not interesting or because it doesn't tie into any of the other storylines.

So is Micah being kept at the place Tommy/Nathan is now or the mind control institute?

Mind control institute it is. But how is René alive? I thought Noah killed him.
    And now have to wait until January for the final 3 episodes for some reason

CastorTroy wrote:
    Mind control institute it is. But how is René alive? I thought Noah killed him. And now have to wait until January for the final 3 episodes for some reason

When noah went back in time he had Casper take his memory of the day instead of the Haitian so he wasn't part of the cover up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Started out watching this recently, up to episode 5. Nervous Wreck's posts on the last page sum it up really, there's no engagement with the characters. Christ, Miko and that Ren lad are unbelievably annoying and her 'power' is just utterly ridiculous. I've found myself fast forwarding when they're on. The hunters are the same, particularly the woman - the fella might eventually develop into a decent character, but she's as wooden as you can get.

The bit where Tommy gets told he's going to save the world is a pile of crap too. I presume it was intended as a big 'wow' moment, but so predictable.

I'll keep going until the end of S1 just to see how it pans out, but I'm not hopeful of it being any good at all. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

I'll keep going until the end of S1 just to see how it pans out, but I'm not hopeful of it being any good at all. :(

The aimless arcs all come together in the last few episodes - so in my opinion is worth keeping with it

Back last night, only two episodes left

Episode was... fine. This won't be getting a second season.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭squonk

Haven't started this yet. I gave up on the original show a few episodes into Season 2. Is this worth a watch?

Yep, I think it turned out really well.

Surprised they haven't said who got Claire pregnant

The worst thing about this series is the missed opportunity. So much they could've done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Watched the latest two episodes last night...really enjoyed them. am looking forward to the finale.

Although I originally disliked the idea behind the digital character coming to life, I do see the relevance of it now, and sure the 'power' is just as realistic as any other power.

Hopefully, the last episode will be a good last episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,894 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Absolute pants of a finale and a totally wasted opportunity for the entire series.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If they didn't have plans for a 2nd season why have the finale end like they did? I'd understand it if they weren't sure but haven't they given interviews recently saying they don't plan to do another season (or volume as they call them) ? weird

edit: read this also and it kinda summed up how I felt a lot of the time when these characters stories were being told
    Speaking of, why are Carlos, Farah, Micah, and Jose here? Luke’s involvement eventually paid off, but these characters could have been removed from the series entirely and only minor adjustments would have been needed. I kept waiting for something to happen that necessitated their inclusion in the series, let alone the finale, but it never came.

Well it's over thank God.

What total utter ****e it turned out to be.

They couldn't even give us a clean ending, they haven't a hope in hell in getting another run of it. Oh and nice middle finger having the Peter body double in the Ice cream shop in the end. Haven't they done the bad daddy story line like 3 other times.

Jeepers, that sucked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well it's over thank God.

What total utter ****e it turned out to be.

They couldn't even give us a clean ending, they haven't a hope in hell in getting another run of it. Oh and nice middle finger having the Peter body double in the Ice cream shop in the end. Haven't they done the bad daddy story line like 3 other times.

That wasn't peter (Peter being Claires uncle, it would be a risky choice of Father) or did I miss something there?

Just watched this over the last few days. Much the same as Heroes was, no better, no worse. Suits binge watching as I couldn't have been assed waiting for episodes, which is how I ended up watching heroes the last time.

I did wiki who the father is, and it would fit in with the clothes of the person in the ice cream shop that they are the father.

• Advertisement
Advertisement