Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroes Reborn [NBC] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Had a re-read of Kring's AV Club interview. Fascinating stuff, full of "did he just admit that" moments. Favourite question posed to him..

AVC: In another interview, you mentioned that part of the show’s inspiration came from 9/11. What did you mean by that?

Laughed my ass off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The AV Club's reviews of the final season are hilarious - the writers simply gave up trying to provide any serious criticism of the show, and started ripping the absolute piss to tremendously entertaining effect. I found myself reading them long after I had abandoned all hope in the utterly abysmal show itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think most are in agreement that seasons 2 onwards were uniformly terrible, but was the first such an aberration? I honestly haven't gone near the debut season since its original broadcast, but my memories are broadly positive, albeit after an admittedly shaky start (par for the course though with any first season). My overriding recollection though is of a show that wore its pulp, comicbook stylings on its sleeve and possessed some pretty compelling and memorable characters that at least papered over any faults in the narrative or plotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Thought it was back already in The Tomorrow People, albeit remixed for the Twilight generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 redbedhead

There is a lot of potential in the concept and with the right writers it really could be something special. Sadly I imagine that it will most likely end up looking like the upcoming Zombieland show, cheap and trashy made to capitalise on the name.

Hasn't Zombieland already been and gone? The pilot was vilified, so it's not being picked up...unless you've heard different :P

Watching Heroes on season 1, I was fairly inconsistent and then lost interest at the start of Season 2 - was annoyed with what they did after that. I don't know what Tim Kring was thinking. I assumed he'd know what he was doing after Misfits of Science:) (Showing my age now)

• Advertisement

redbedhead wrote: »
    Hasn't Zombieland already been and gone? The pilot was vilified, so it's not being picked up...unless you've heard different :P

Watching Heroes on season 1, I was fairly inconsistent and then lost interest at the start of Season 2 - was annoyed with what they did after that. I don't know what Tim Kring was thinking. I assumed he'd know what he was doing after Misfits of Science:) (Showing my age now)

That's a year old post you quoted.

Heroes had an interesting premise but I quickly lost interest and didn't even finish the first series. Tried to rewatch it on DVD a few years back and gave up in the middle of the second disc. It's all do generic and trite that its hard to get into. That said my favourite item if clothing is a Save the Cheerleader tsarist that's the most comfortable item of clothing I've ever worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 redbedhead

That's a year old post you quoted.

Oops! I'm usually good with spotting that!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

part one of season one was unbelievable stuff, i remember it took a 2 month break, and after that it started to become a bit disjointed, while the majority of the second half of the season was good there was signs of the bad writing creeping in, and then from season 2 it seemed the majority of the episode were substandard,

i credit most of the downfall to the fact that brian fuller left the show after season 1, he returned for season 4, but the damage was done at that point, kring himself i think had a great idea, but like the walking dead at the moment which was adapted by frank darabont, that show has done much better since his departure, and i think heroes would be much better without kring, great idea and all that he had, he should really leave it to someone else

just saw that there were 22 writers on heroes over the 4 seasons, says it all really, some with 1,2,3,4 episode a piece, they clearly didnt work well together which translated to total inconsistency,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Writers' Strike that started around the end of Season 1 has a lot to do with the following series being so very bad. By the time the Strike was over in time for the last season, the damage was done. I remember a massive dip in the quality of many series around then... a real shame, but I can see why the writers had to do it.

I have big hopes for this new series, I hope I won't be disappointed...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The only real problem I can recall with the first season was the ending. It promised so much and built up so much anticipation but from what I remember the end was a complete anti-climax, utterly disappointing.

In fairness that was one problem they fixed in the later seasons, by making them utterly disappointing right from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭squonk

There were 4 seasons??? Jebus H Crusty! I didn't think it lasted after season 2's turdfest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

stevenmu wrote: »
    The only real problem I can recall with the first season was the ending. It promised so much and built up so much anticipation but from what I remember the end was a complete anti-climax, utterly disappointing.

In fairness that was one problem they fixed in the later seasons, by making them utterly disappointing right from the start.

In a nutshell....Kring admitted even before season 1 ended he changed is initials plans after the shows success. In early season 1 interviews he said the finale would see a huge showdown with Sylar and most of the characters killed off,

Season 2 would start off with all new characters/stories with (presumably) Sylar carrying forward. NBC nixed his ideas and he kept everyone alive.

Season 1 was great except for the final two episodes of pure copout.

squonk wrote: »
    There were 4 seasons??? Jebus H Crusty! I didn't think it lasted after season 2's turdfest!

bryan fuller made the show what it is....Company Man is a superb piece of tv!

New Home wrote: »
    The Writers' Strike that started around the end of Season 1 has a lot to do with the following series being so very bad. By the time the Strike was over in time for the last season, the damage was done. I remember a massive dip in the quality of many series around then... a real shame, but I can see why the writers had to do it.

I have big hopes for this new series, I hope I won't be disappointed...

The strike killed the show in the sense they only had writting/filmed 10 episodes....but the writing was cack and they used the strike to abondon season 2 and start fresh the following sept. for season 3.

And season 3 was the worst.....season 4A was pretty good as Bryan Fuller was back, he then quit for season 4B and it fell apart even worse!

Sheldom sums things up perfectly! :p

The reason i liked season 1 was its dense storyline....multiple characters that used flashforwards and backwards to tell backstory and fill in blanks.

The time travel aspect and moving forward/backward required the viewer to pay close attention and multiple viewings to keep the story straight.

Season 1 was mapped out very well, you can see this in how the back/forward stuff fell into place....the only writing weakspot was Kirby Plaza and that two parter finale.

Its obvious kring was either pressured or decided to change his well laid plans, he gave numerous interviews....he said clearly most would get killed off.

The whole premise of season 1 was Sylar gathering powers and a huge showdown, kring dropped the ball. the less said about season 2,3,4 the better........:o

squonk wrote: »
    I agree. First season was OK but a bit nebulous and I never quite got a handle on what was really going on, but as there were mysetries involved, I didn't mind. Then I realised at the Finalé that the show was starting to look like another Lost and then the Cork episode happened... there was no coming back for me after that. I've since learned that Tim Kring isn't my kind of showrunner after a disasterous run in with Touch which was some of the worst television I've had the misfortune to watch in a very long time. I really think Heroes should just stay dead. We already have some good Superhero fodder on TV and in the works, like Arrow and Gotham. Surely there are creative people out there with innovative concepts for good TV shows that deserve a shot at a 13 episode run rather than attempting to flog this well dead horse back into life for one last trot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bloody 'ell jenjen stop spamming the thread.

Definitely need more concrete info on this series at this stage because I think it's fair to say there's little remaining good will towards this show. Wonder if any of the former cast have been tapped for a return, considering many have gone on to bigger / better things...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

For months I've resisted the temptation to rewatch this on Netflix, but I'm definitely gonna now.

From memory tho, I think it will either have to run parallel to the original show (all new cast and characters but set in the same time frame) or given that the Cheerleader "outed" them to the world in the final episode it will have to somewhat continue on from that with the world's new found knowledge, but again with a whole new cast and characters.

Definitely needs a definite path and a good writing team. Writing was it's key failure. That said, it would just seem wrong if Jack Coleman and Zachary Quinto weren't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

pixelburp wrote: »
    Bloody 'ell jenjen stop spamming the thread.

Definitely need more concrete info on this series at this stage because I think it's fair to say there's little remaining good will towards this show. Wonder if any of the former cast have been tapped for a return, considering many have gone on to bigger / better things...

It was great at the time, as you watched to see how many heroes Sylar would collect & everyone trying to save the cheerleader, but sadly fell to a limp finale & never recovered, as i kept up with it so far, but he finally caught up with the cheerleader & took another dive again?

I thought even with Robert Knepper (Teabag) on S04 would raise the bar, but sadly he was the only one holding it up.

Afaik, the Beeb were the only station/network that had an additional show after each ep with interviews & tidbits on the cast.

Btw what are the rest of the cast doing, afaik HaydenP is on Nashville
    pajopearl wrote: »
    For months I've resisted the temptation to rewatch this on Netflix, but I'm definitely gonna now.

From memory tho, I think it will either have to run parallel to the original show (all new cast and characters but set in the same time frame) or given that the Cheerleader "outed" them to the world in the final episode it will have to somewhat continue on from that with the world's new found knowledge, but again with a whole new cast and characters.

Definitely needs a definite path and a good writing team. Writing was it's key failure. That said, it would just seem wrong if Jack Coleman and Zachary Quinto weren't involved.

Before there was Netflix, it was the dearest thing to buy & that was just for Vol1 Pt1 for £26, until someone posted here on Amz US for $18.

That said Kring should leave it over to someone younger, as with his record on shows to date with the woeful Touch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

Taltos wrote: »
    Yup - a series that started with so much promise that tanked more with each new incredulous reveal, each new season just went a bit too far down the rabbit hole - the last one with the circus well, enough said there.
    When I compare it to the cancelled Alphas I know which one I would prefer to see back.

Ikr.
    They go 20 episodes setting up this great storyline, then it ends in 2 really, really badly.
    I gave it the benefit on the doubt during the writer's strike in season 2, but 3 was just terrible.

Hopefully Kring is less involved.

• Advertisement

+1 on Robert Knepper....despite huge overacting and him hamming it up/scene stealing etc. he was the strongest part of season 4.

Fuller was involved in the first 8 or 9 episodes of season 4 before he quit....as it turns out those were the best episodes of season 4.

From season 3 the episode featuring Nikki called "Cold Snap" is generally regarded as the best episode of season 3....and one of the best of the series.

That was also written by Fuller....its generally accepted by fans/critics that Fuller was the brains behind this. Kring had a premise, he had bullet points laid out for a season....but it was the writing staff that filled in the blanks and did all the heavy lifting.

I just hope Kring assembles a respected and staffers known for quality Sci-Fi writing for the reboot.

It was great at the time, as you watched to see how many heroes Sylar would collect & everyone trying to save the cheerleader, but sadly fell to a limp finale & never recovered, as i kept up with it so far, but he finally caught up with the cheerleader & took another dive again?

I thought even with Robert Knepper (Teabag) on S04 would raise the bar, but sadly he was the only one holding it up.

Afaik, the Beeb were the only station/network that had an additional show after each ep with interviews & tidbits on the cast.

Btw what are the rest of the cast doing, afaik HaydenP is on Nashville

Before there was Netflix, it was the dearest thing to buy & that was just for Vol1 Pt1 for £26, until someone posted here on Amz US for $18.

That said Kring should leave it over to someone younger, as with his record on shows to date with the woeful Touch

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Ikr.
    They go 20 episodes setting up this great storyline, then it ends in 2 really, really badly.
    I gave it the benefit on the doubt during the writer's strike in season 2, but 3 was just terrible.

Hopefully Kring is less involved.

+1....yup, Sylar being amazing dark/evil....killing hero after hero gathering powers all to stop the destruction of New York, 20 episodes of build up.....and then?

:rolleyes:

In casting news....Robert Knepper will return!!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/25/robert-knepper-heroes-reborn/

Quarter of the way thru S3 of my rewatch of this and it's still as dodgy as I remember. Enjoyable at the same time. Matt Parkman is still the same insufferable oaf I so detested about this first time round.
    jenjenten wrote: »
    In casting news....Robert Knepper will return!!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/25/robert-knepper-heroes-reborn/

I reckon Robert Knepper isn't doing a whole lot these days. Absolutely loved him in Prison Break as T-Bag. Star of the show IMO. Haven't seen him in a whole lot since Heroes tbh bar maybe RIPD, which the kids loved :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Quarter of the way thru S3 of my rewatch of this and it's still as dodgy as I remember. Enjoyable at the same time. Matt Parkman is still the same insufferable oaf I so detested about this first time round.

I always loved how he used to violently twitch his head every time he used his power. I thought he was going to snap his own neck at some stage.

Kinda like the Wessen do in Grimm at the moment. That's getting a bit old now at this stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I forgot all about that character. Annoyed me as well.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I reckon Robert Knepper isn't doing a whole lot these days. Absolutely loved him in Prison Break as T-Bag. Star of the show IMO. Haven't seen him in a whole lot since Heroes tbh bar maybe RIPD, which the kids loved :rolleyes:

he was in a cancelled show called Cult and was the baddy of the week this week in Arrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what really annoyed me was they built up these characters and plotlines in the future with Hiro, Sylar and Peter and then just totally ignored them and created a new baddy in s4

Skerries wrote: »
    he was in a cancelled show called Cult and was the baddy of the week this week in Arrow

He's never off the bloody TV and has been popping up in loads of films and was recently cast in the upcoming Hunger Games sequels. Out if all the cast he's the only one whose been consistently appearing on our screens

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    what really annoyed me was they built up these characters and plotlines in the future with Hiro, Sylar and Peter and then just totally ignored them and created a new baddy in s4

No choice in that I'd say, given that they stopped the future from happening, so an alternate future was needed
    He's never off the bloody TV and has been popping up in loads of films and was recently cast in the upcoming Hunger Games sequels. Out if all the cast he's the only one whose been consistently appearing on our screens

No doubt he's a brilliant guest star, but my point was that he's not doing anything regular.

Advertisement