Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I have fair skin, ginger hair and freckles, I know the Naked Heat won't suit me but I want it anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm really wanting the Naked Heat palette too. I've told myself to hold off until my birthday in October. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm really wanting the Naked Heat palette too. I've told myself to hold off until my birthday in October. :D

I may pick it up in the airport for honeymoon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

GingerLily wrote: »
    I have fair skin, ginger hair and freckles, I know the Naked Heat won't suit me but I want it anyway!!

Do you think so? I think the opposite! I remember seeing a picture of Emma stone and she had burnt orange eye shadow on and she looked incredible. I bet it would be lovely on you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I adore the naked heat palette. Favourite since the first one.

I actually found myself struggling with it cos it was SO pigmented I was just putting too much on, too used to having to dig for eyeshadow out of a pan haha!

I also picked up one of the UD liquid highlighters totally on a whim, but I love it. I usually hate liquid highlighters as they make my foundation coagulate but this is really really good. I got sin.

I'm now on a (self and sister imposed :D)three month makeup and skincare ban until 8th November (the day I fly to New York) - its two weeks tomorrow since I started it and it's actually crazy how many things I've wanted to buy that I normally just would. But I'm enjoying using up stuff in my drawer and rediscovering old products that I actually like. I'm also realising how much crap I have that deserves the bin!

Can't wait to save all my pennies and splurge in the states - on that note, recommendations welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

Bought the Pippa palette last week and tried it at the weekend. Very underwhelmed I'd have to say. The eyeshadows are very poorly pigmented, I had to keep going back to build colour. The blush disappeared on my skin as did the contour. I did love the highlighter, it looked fabulous.
    But yeah, I was expecting so much more. I really wanted some good matte shadows. I bought a w7 neutrals matte palette in TK MAXX yesterday for €9.00. I used it last night and today and it's brilliant for the price, much better than the Pippa.
    So basically I paid €35 for a relatively small highlighter...hmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

The feels for the naked heat pallet are very strong....
    I'm gonna try pick up some similar shades of the penneys shadows when they are in to see if I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

misslt wrote: »
    I adore the naked heat palette. Favourite since the first one.

I actually found myself struggling with it cos it was SO pigmented I was just putting too much on, too used to having to dig for eyeshadow out of a pan haha!

I also picked up one of the UD liquid highlighters totally on a whim, but I love it. I usually hate liquid highlighters as they make my foundation coagulate but this is really really good. I got sin.

I'm now on a (self and sister imposed :D)three month makeup and skincare ban until 8th November (the day I fly to New York) - its two weeks tomorrow since I started it and it's actually crazy how many things I've wanted to buy that I normally just would. But I'm enjoying using up stuff in my drawer and rediscovering old products that I actually like. I'm also realising how much crap I have that deserves the bin!

Can't wait to save all my pennies and splurge in the states - on that note, recommendations welcome!
    I did a 6 month spending ban and it actually totally changed how I view and buy makeup. I only make considered purchases now after reading a million reviews! You really start to appreciate what you have rather than trying something then looking for the next new thing. That's one reason I'm holding out on th urban decay palette, I like the idea of it but realistically I know I have all the shades already lol

What's on your NYC shopping list?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Scraggs wrote: »
    I did a 6 month spending ban and it actually totally changed how I view and buy makeup. I only make considered purchases now after reading a million reviews! You really start to appreciate what you have rather than trying something then looking for the next new thing. That's one reason I'm holding out on th urban decay palette, I like the idea of it but realistically I know I have all the shades already lol

What's on your NYC shopping list?

Actually scraggs I think you're on to something with the reviews because I had found that every impulse buy I made I ended up reading reviews anyway after buying and then I'd read about a nasty ingredient in it or an alternative without fragrance or whatever else, so I've made it my rule to actually read the reviews before I buy.

Nine times out of ten people will even say "wish I read reviews and saved my money". Sometimes I do ignore the reviews but at least it's an informed choice. Only recently I was gonna splash out on a facial oil and I read the reviews and there was not one amazing review on makeupalley (i find this the most informative one but if anybody can suggest a better source for reviews id love you!) despite the hype and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I ran out of work on the button to make it in on time. 5:55pm bursting through debenhams. I have a problem!! Can't wait to play around it.

I'm going to NY in a few weeks too and I still gave in! Wish I could buy image skincare there. I really want to try it :(

Quotes not working for me sorry but GingerLily, I saw a few youtube reviews by red head's discussing the naked heat palette. Check them out. I personally think the colours would really work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I already have a list made and I'm not going to the USA until after Christmas.

I was there in March and I got loads in Sephora but ended up spending the most on Mac. It was all good stuff but this time I'm going to make an effort to get more brands that we can't get here. I'm dreaming of Anastasia Beverly Hills, Nars, Tarte.......

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I already have a list made and I'm not going to the USA until after Christmas.

I was there in March and I got loads in Sephora but ended up spending the most on Mac. It was all good stuff but this time I'm going to make an effort to get more brands that we can't get here. I'm dreaming of Anastasia Beverly Hills, Nars, Tarte.......

I always say I'll do this but then I'm like "do I really wanna buy it and fall in love and then I have to order online every time I want it" and I end uo going for stuff I know I can buy easily here which is pointless!

Ugh to be able to get my hands on Tarte. I'd die and go to heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

anna080 wrote: »
    Ugh to be able to get my hands on Tarte. I'd die and go to heaven

You can buy it online or did you want to see it in person first?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You can buy it online or did you want to see it in person first?

The delivery fees are outrageous, its not worth it imo. We could really do with a Sephora in this country, its actually very strange that we don't have one.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    The delivery fees are outrageous, its not worth it imo. We could really do with a Sephora in this country, its actually very strange that we don't have one.

Qvc UK sell Tarte, their delivery fees are about €5 afaik, and they do half price p&p on the second item.

Qvc UK sell Tarte, their delivery fees are about €5 afaik, and they do half price p&p on the second item.

I did not need to know this lol

I did not need to know this lol

They don't have the whole collection all the time don't worry you won't be broke ;)
    They seem to change it regularly - I don't know much about Tarte but my daughter and her friends are all buying it from there and talking about the new stuff that's arrived.

Bunch of enablers all of yiz :pac:

Call it payback for the naked heat talk (I'm getting it this weekend :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I can pick up a few small bits in sephora in few weeks if you like? Can post them to you when I get back.

Nars foundation was the biggest disapointment of my life. Got it last year in sephora on my holidays. Left my own foundation at home because I was so sure this woud be the business. See through crap!! Just didn't go on my skin at all.

As someone said earlier, you really have to review things inside out before buying them and I IGNORE all those beauty bloggers - they are PAID to push this crap in your face. I've become much better at doing my research. Have learned my lesson!

Pink11 wrote: »
    I can pick up a few small bits in sephora in few weeks if you like? Can post them to you when I get back.

!

Aren't you so lovely?! :) feeding Anna's addiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Lads I can safely say I had no real interest in the Naked Heat palette... until I heard all of ye on about it. Now I want one.

I'm so susceptible to peer pressure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Sign up to tarte's newsletter if you like their stuff. I got free delivery around last Christmas and didn't get charged any customs either. They might do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I'm in love with the idea of the naked heat palette, but I can't use orange or red eyeshadow without looking like I've been hit/have an eye infection :( I'm far too safe with my browns!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Ladies you're all making me jealous with your trips to the states, hope you all have a ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,415 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've said it before but I'm often genuinely shocked by the amount of make-up some posters buy! And that's coming from someone who loves their slap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I thought I was bad but after reading this thread I don't actually buy much in comparison!

I went looking for Tarte in Sephora a few months ago but was underwhelmed, luckily not bothered about the Naked Heat palette either as I don't really like pinky eyeshadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm trying to be good and not buy as much makeup or beauty products for the rest of the year and to use up much of what I already have. I've found myself becoming for critical of products. Or maybe I'm reading too many hits, miss or maybe type reviews. There's some level of satisfaction in using up a product and chucking it in the bin! But there are some products that I can't wait to use up.

Currently trying to use up the Rimmel Match perfection foundation (the one with the blue lid). It just feels like it's sitting on my skin, it won't stick to my nose at all and it doesn't seem to really adhere to my skin much. I'm currently using up The Ordinary silicone primer (not overly fussed on this either) but it worked fine for other foundations. Just one wipe of my face with my finger and the foundation comes off. I'll give it to the end of the week and maybe see if some young one nearby wants a free foundation.

Going to bin the Catrice Rock Couture mascara, it's only ok but it's very difficult to remove, I've checked a few times and it doesn't say anywhere that's it's waterproof.

Currently using Benefit's Roller Lash mascara and it's not as great as I remembered - I think it's the brush, the bristles feel too short to get right in at your lashes, feels like I'm barely brushing them and not much product seems to coat the wand even though it's not long opened.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz I felt the exact same about The Ordinary silicone primer. I sat waiting for it to sink in before applying foundation but after waiting a few minutes I realised okay maybe this is how its meant to feel- so I applied the foundation over it. It went on awful. Slipping and sliding around my face and any slight touch removed the product. For a primer of which the sole purpose is to adhere to the make up, for me it did the complete opposite! Maybe I should try it with a different foundation.

Advertisement