Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Just pre-ordered on Amazon.

Never bought a game off it before, anybody tell me is it a courier service or will the postman drop it round? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Never bought a game off it before, anybody tell me is it a courier service or will the postman drop it round? :P

Your friendly postman.

Xenji wrote: »
    Your friendly postman.

Perfect!

Can't stand meeting those pesky couriers... They can never find my house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Wouldn't expect it on the Friday. Might get there for Monday but it probably would arrive on the Tuesday. Amazon are notorious for dispatching regular shipped items on the day or the day before.

Wouldn't expect it on the Friday. Might get there for Monday but it probably would arrive on the Tuesday. Amazon are notorious for dispatching regular shipped items on the day or the day before.

Won't bother me if I don't have it on release day. Cheers though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Will this be on U-Play ? (on PC)
    I seriously hate U-Play...to the point where it puts me off playing certain games I own made by Ubisoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Yeah, it'll be uPlay unfortunately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Several animations and moves copied straight over from Far Cry 3 in that clip. I think I'll let someone else find out just how fresh and new it is before spending my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sarky wrote: »
    Several animations and moves copied straight over from Far Cry 3 in that clip. I think I'll let someone else find out just how fresh and new it is before spending my money.

The more I see, the more It feels a little rushed out to me. hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It does seem a lot like FarCry 3.5

Still, I did enjoy FC3 so I'll be picking it up. At least I won't be playing as a rich kid trying to save my rich friends.

Would've liked to have seen Vaas one more time, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It does seem a lot like FarCry 3.5

Still, I did enjoy FC3 so I'll be picking it up. At least I won't be playing as a rich kid trying to save my rich friends.

Would've liked to have seen Vaas one more time, though.

I'd have preferred to see his sister :P
    I really enjoyed Far Cry 3...but the story is complete trash.

11f76275ddf3d00d2e9b80dccca7edfe0554a1024cbe906786235c78b80dcdd1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'd have preferred to see his sister :P
    I really enjoyed Far Cry 3...but the story is complete trash.

11f76275ddf3d00d2e9b80dccca7edfe0554a1024cbe906786235c78b80dcdd1.jpg

The writer of the game came out after the reviews were critical of the story to defend himself. whether or not he was just backpedalling or not are arguable, but this is definitely worth a read - note that its spoiler filled

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/double-talk-far-cry-3s-lead-writer-explains-the-deceptive-nature-of-th

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Far Cry 3 seemed like a fairly shallow game that was trying its heart out to be something more, I didn't really find Vaas that interesting a character either.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

What preorder bonuses do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I didn't really find Vaas that interesting a character either.

Jeez, you must be a hard man to impress :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

crazydom wrote: »
    What preorder bonuses do you get?

I got "Blood Ruby Pack, including one exclusive single-player mission, "Blood Ruby", and one new weapon, the 1911 Pistol." with Amazon.

Pistol looks cool but I was pre-ordering this anyway.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Pistol looks cool but I was pre-ordering this anyway.

You lost me at "Pistol", now if it was a Bow, that would be class :)
    But who care's i'll probably pre-order anyway, sure to be a great game

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

STOP PREORDERING!

You are the cause of this pre-ordering world of bullsht. If you people stop then this problem disappears.

Shiminay wrote: »
    STOP PREORDERING!

You are the cause of this pre-ordering world of bullsht. If you people stop then this problem disappears.

Ok, well maybe not pre-order, just buy,..... i meant to say i'll buy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Far Cry 3 seemed like a fairly shallow game that was trying its heart out to be something more, I didn't really find Vaas that interesting a character either.

Blood dragon was awesome though.

I enjoyed FC3 but went back and tried to replay and found it meh. The story missions are too scripted and the execution missions with the knife get old.
    Did enjoy the outposts and hunting though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I guess I'm in minority but FC3 bored me to tears; I ended up finishing it with God mode on because I simply could not be bothered and simply wanted to complete it to get it out of the way. The base play was stupid (oh if you use a bow and they spot the corpse we don't turn on the alarm but if you used a silenced sniper rifle from 200m they do, wtf?), take downs meaningless (I got all these great knives yet every take down goes the same way?) and the copy and paste missions bored me to tears (every single frikking base appeared to have bad guys sitting on "insert location" to be killed by knife or simply luring up one of your allies to shot him for you ftw along with one or two animals to kill with a specific weapon in a specific zone).

The world was wonderful but why would a Shark swim up from nowhere to kill me because I happened to be in the water? Or why have killable animals that were of no use? Also the fact every vehicle basically worked the same way (only difference being if you had a machine gun on top or not for two player fighting). Money? I was running around with every weapon unlocked, every map unlocked with 10k banked and full inventory before leaving the first island... Same thing with skills; only thing holding me back was the requirement for story missions to unlock more of them. The Japanese letters were a nice touch but 130 something figurines without any flavour text? I gave up on all such collectors items after the first island and simply ignored them short of running over them from that point forward.

At least FC2 made me feel like I was not a glorified Superman running around (shark bite? Let me pull my thumb to heal up!) to save the world (and the less said about the two endings the better)...

Nody wrote: »
    I guess I'm in minority but FC3 bored me to tears

Reading complaints like the above makes me pity game developers big and small. Nothing they do will ever be good enough.

If that's not a troll post then I shudder to think how unfairly you judge other games/series that are generally received quite well for their blend of gameplay styles and story arcs (Mass Effect? Uncharted? Bioshock? RDR?).

Reading the above just seemed like the kind of stuff a teenager would complain about. Different Knives? who really cares, how much meaningless nonsense like that should be added? And the minute they say "oh now each time you get a new knife your takedown animation will be different" will just lead to people on the other side of the fence going "I wish games would stop trying to hide behind animations and QTEs".

If it bored you so much, put down the controller, sell the game and move on.

After spending enough time reading thread in this Games section I've come to realise that some people will Never be please no matter what a developer/publisher put out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cormac... wrote: »
    Reading complaints like the above makes me pity game developers big and small. Nothing they do will ever be good enough.

If that's not a troll post then I shudder to think how unfairly you judge other games/series that are generally received quite well for their blend of gameplay styles and story arcs (Mass Effect? Uncharted? Bioshock? RDR?).
    Cute; you can read my comments on ME series in the PC gaming forum; I found ME1 a better game them ME2 because it actually told a story with better exploration rather than being a bland, crouch behind cover, type of shooter built for console gaming. As for my comments being unfair? Sorry but FC3 main story was piss poor; there's no other way to tell it (I liked crazy Vaas as a character but look at your interactions at the boat for example). The world was lovely, big and fun to run around in (if not for being attacked by random animals) but the story? Seriously? It makes ME2 look strong by comparison. Heck it makes FC2 look good in the story telling compartment by comparison. The only redeeming part of it was our crazy boss in the first half but after a drug infused mini game of QTEs that was over (Why was he not chasing me around the island? Why would he not leave me messages or take back outposts by killing everyone with his army if you did not sabotage his ammo depot etc. and had more interactions with him? Seriously, he was on of the best things and you're limited to a few movie clips on the main story mission :( )..
    Reading the above just seemed like the kind of stuff a teenager would complain about. Different Knives? who really cares, how much meaningless nonsense like that should be added? And the minute they say "oh now each time you get a new knife your takedown animation will be different" will just lead to people on the other side of the fence going "I wish games would stop trying to hide behind animations and QTEs".
    Then don't add more knifes in the first place? Or how about we actually apply some creativity and have various knifes be used for a subset of takedowns; if I want to do drop down I need to equip knife X; I know, horrible how hard that would be to implement to actually make the knife selection matter to game style as your gun selection matters to your game style.
    If it bored you so much, put down the controller, sell the game and move on.
    I did; hence God mode to finish the game simply in the hope it would actually become better down the line. As for selling it; sorry Steam game but then again it was 6.27 EUR with DLCs so not the worst money I've spent on a game as it was fun for the first 10 or so hours of exploring and sneaking around.
    After spending enough time reading thread in this Games section I've come to realise that some people will Never be please no matter what a developer/publisher put out
    If asking for a story that would be deemed to simple be put in a teenage tv show is too much to ask for then I'm sorry for having such "high" requirements. Personally I prefer to have a bit more story and less copy and paste with shiny graphic; make the game the size of the first island but a much more in depth story and I'd have no complaints to the change.

This is where the game fell down; after the first island they had blown everything already; sure you got a new heavy (flamer) but it was simply more of the same rather than building the game further with new challenges. Why not continue to ramp up with new vehicles, new base layouts, new ways to approach things rather than having the hero be a one man rambo army?

Why are there always pirates to be killed after taking every flipping base? How about I go and blow up an ammo depot instead? Or incriminate a commander of his army? Or steal a cocaine shipment and sink it? Support an ambush? Rescue civilians who've been taken to be killed? There are a ton of mini missions they could have added with minimal effort but instead we got copy and paste missions to every single base consisting of one pirate, one hunter (and sometimes two instead of one) mission every time. If you can't see the difference between that complaint and "troll posting" then I'm sorry for your lack of understanding of game play and how to make it varied.

I was more referring to the actual blended styles of gameplay it implemented that you seemed to have issues with more than the actual main storyline?

For example:
    Q: "why would a Shark swim up from nowhere to kill me because I happened to be in the water?"
    A: Because thats kind of what sharks do.

Q: "Or why have killable animals that were of no use?"
    A: the crafting system and hunter missions

"At least FC2 made me feel like I was not a glorified Superman running around",
    Isn't the entire point of these games NOT to make you feel like a glorified superman?

"take downs meaningless"
    Aside from maybe the arkham games, i've not played a game with a better takedown system, and personally i've played a LOT of games with much worse systems

"Money? I was running around with every weapon unlocked, every map unlocked with 10k banked and full inventory before leaving the first island"
    Given that you need to finish other parts of the game to fully unlock the inventory that can't be true, so i'll chalk that down to a communication error. But even so, you chose to grind in the 1st island. It would be like killing Ballas in Grove Street till you can buy some super weapon, you can do it, but most people don't grind so early

"I ended up finishing it with God mode"
    Should have just youtubed the endings so :D In fact if you ignore the base capture and side missions the main story isn't overly long, and would only have posed a challenge had you chosen to completely avoid any sort of upgrading/crafting/leveling/tattooing, which as per your previous comment you didn't, you were a walking tank so it shouldn't have been that hard :P

As far as i'm concerned a big part of the franchise is the enemy base capture aspect, where you choose how to try and take the base (stealth, bombs, knife, bow, tiger) and these, though repetitive are a part of what the series does slightly differently to other sand-box style adventure games. It's like complaining that GTA has too many missions where you drive to a place and have a shoot out over money/drugs/women/turf/applecarts

Over all platforms, critics and players seem to have given it a decent 4/5 or 85%-90% rating... which by all accounts generally leads a game (Be it AAA or indie or whatever) to be considered a massive commercial, critical and (sometimes) cultural success

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Blood dragon was awesome though.

I enjoyed FC3 but went back and tried to replay and found it meh. The story missions are too scripted and the execution missions with the knife get old.
    Did enjoy the outposts and hunting though.

Blood dragon was awesome, I enjoyed it more than FC3.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Nody, you've always struck me as a sensible sort, so when you make a post saying FC3 bored you to tears, I find myself wondering why I loved it so much when a fine upstanding chap like yourself didn't :)

You referenced FC2 and as it happens, I thought that was a shockingly weak game. It had the potential to be brilliant, but the fact that every AI character was out to get you regardless of what faction you were working for was just screaming "WE CAN'T CODE VERY WELL AND WE DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW IMMERSION BREAKING THIS IS!"

Was FC3's structure repetitive? Yes. Same as the Assassins Creed Series, same as the Just Cause series, same as the GTA Series, same as the <insert continuing games franchise of choice here> series... Why? Cause every game has a USP that sets it apart from it's competitors. Far Cry's is "exotic location, crazy natives whipped into a frenzy by evil outsider - you must set the natives free in the process of doing whatever your character's story is." The old "capture a base and take control of a chunk of the map" is a well established trope of open world games now and yea, its implementation isn't always great, but I always looked at those bits as an opportunity to try playing the game differently - I know I can go all guns blazing and mow everything down, but what if I set myself the challenge of only using the knife or something like that? It's a personal preference I know, but I like it when a game gives me "set pieces" that are a sort of microcosm of the bigger game where I can try something different and essentially play a different sort of game for a while.

Not to everyone's tastes, but it suited me down to the ground and I knew that was pretty much what I was getting into from the off. Blood Dragon did more of the same in a beautifully realised super-cheese homage to 80's Action sci-fi and I thought it was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Shiminay wrote: »
    Nody, you've always struck me as a sensible sort, so when you make a post saying FC3 bored you to tears, I find myself wondering why I loved it so much when a fine upstanding chap like yourself didn't :)

You referenced FC2 and as it happens, I thought that was a shockingly weak game. It had the potential to be brilliant, but the fact that every AI character was out to get you regardless of what faction you were working for was just screaming "WE CAN'T CODE VERY WELL AND WE DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW IMMERSION BREAKING THIS IS!"

Was FC3's structure repetitive? Yes. Same as the Assassins Creed Series, same as the Just Cause series, same as the GTA Series, same as the <insert continuing games franchise of choice here> series... Why? Cause every game has a USP that sets it apart from it's competitors. Far Cry's is "exotic location, crazy natives whipped into a frenzy by evil outsider - you must set the natives free in the process of doing whatever your character's story is." The old "capture a base and take control of a chunk of the map" is a well established trope of open world games now and yea, its implementation isn't always great, but I always looked at those bits as an opportunity to try playing the game differently - I know I can go all guns blazing and mow everything down, but what if I set myself the challenge of only using the knife or something like that? It's a personal preference I know, but I like it when a game gives me "set pieces" that are a sort of microcosm of the bigger game where I can try something different and essentially play a different sort of game for a while.

Not to everyone's tastes, but it suited me down to the ground and I knew that was pretty much what I was getting into from the off. Blood Dragon did more of the same in a beautifully realised super-cheese homage to 80's Action sci-fi and I thought it was incredible.

Go back and replay it. I enjoyed it the first time but noticed the flaws far more on replay.

I really enjoyed FC2 as it gave you options on how to handle missions. A straight forward shooter.

Replaying FC3 I wasnt overly interested in doing the story missions again but you have to, to get skills. I felt constrained using the knife for the assassinations. The towers get boring. Climbing in a fps is never a great idea. You cant skip cut scenes. QTE are always a pain but in this boss fights being QTE is odd. Its not a bad game but replaying it really brought it down in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

From Gamescom

This looks class, that Shangri La bit reminded me of the last chapter in uncharted 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cant wait for this now :D

Advertisement