Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 4

Options
  • 15-05-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭

Far Cry 4 was just announced and will be released in November.

Announced today, Far Cry 4 will release this year on November 18 in the US and November 20 in EMEA territories. The game will be available on both generations of consoles – PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 – along with Windows PC.

Taking a sharp turn away from the lush island jungles of the top-rated Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 is set in Kyrat, an untamed region currently ruled by a despotic self-appointed king. But don’t be lulled into a false sense of security by the achingly beautiful views; Kyrat is a wild land full of perils. Once again, players will be able to craft their own stories as they travel through this exotic open world teeming with wildlife – using their wits along with an assortment of powerful weapons and diverse vehicles.

“Following the success of Far Cry 3, we wanted to take the franchise to the next level and create a game that will surprise players and exceed fans’ expectations,” said Dan Hay, Executive Producer. “Given the unique setting, we feel Far Cry 4 will stand out as a top first-person shooter and we’re eager to reveal more about the game in the coming months.”

Development on Far Cry 4 is being led by Ubisoft Montreal in collaboration with Red Storm Entertainment, Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft Shanghai and Ubisoft Kiev.

For an exclusive first look at Far Cry 4, be sure to tune in to Ubisoft’s media briefing at E3.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Excellent news, if it's anything like Far Cry 3 this will be a day one purchase. I really hope that art on the IGN article isn't the cover though, it looks really badly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Excellent :D

Im gonna buy this on day one rather than wait for it to drop to less than 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

DarkJager wrote: »
    Excellent news, if it's anything like Far Cry 3 this will be a day one purchase. I really hope that art on the IGN article isn't the cover though, it looks really badly done.
    On the far cry website they have that cover for all platforms but it says Limited edition. Chances are they will change it nearer to release

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just came up on my twitter feed,great bloody news,loved 2 and 3.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Once again, players will be able to craft their own stories as they travel through this exotic open world teeming with wildlife – using their wits along with an assortment of powerful weapons and diverse vehicles.

I remember Far Cry 3 and there was no "crafting your own story" at all, it was a pretty linear story in a game that let you wander around and complete that story at your own pace. That's not a criticism of the game, I absolutely loved Far Cry 3 and that story they gave me was really enjoyable. But it annoys me when marketing try to make out that there's some sort of "open" story you can influence :)

OK, niggly rant out of the way, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

They just tweeted this pic:
    BnsMEeBIQAApthI.jpg

So I'm expecting more of a Fay Cry 3.5 than a radically "new" experience, but again, I loved 3 so that doesn't bother me too much. Blood Dragon showed that they could easily reskin and resell this game, so here's hoping they have some gameplay to show off at E3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Colour me excited. Loved the first and third games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So long as it's more Far Cry 3 than Far Cry 2 I'll pick this up day one. Hope they do some kind of follow up to Blood Dragon too, great to have that Saturday morning cartoon of the early '90s feel back in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

All well and good, but will it run at 1080p and 60fps?! :pac:

Falthyron wrote: »

Frak that low-ball console nonsense, it better be running at 5760 X 1080 at 120fps! :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Falthyron wrote: »

Ohhhhhhh jesus.....here we go again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

There will be nothing new to announce at E3 if everyone keeps doing these announcements. Suppose they are trying to create interest in their shows.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Frak that low-ball console nonsense, it better be running at 5760 X 1080 at 120fps! :p

The game could run like that if the entire game was just a picture of a chair in a dark room and whoever owned that console would say its better because of the graphics.

The game could run like that if the entire game was just a picture of a chair in a dark room and whoever owned that console would say its better because of the graphics.

That's how my pc runs current games... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Brilliant news :)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Great news. I expect a very similar setting to that of Uncharted 2's missions - Where Am I, Cat And Mouse and The Monastery, but on much grander scale of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeeeesssssssssss bring it on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just hope if they insist on putting in multiplayer again that it's better than last time. the co-op was ok but could have been a lot better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kinda wish it was PC and next-gen only. I think designing games for the previous gen as well as the new ones will probably hold back design ambitions somewhat. But hey will wait and see what they come up with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Shiminay wrote: »
    I remember Far Cry 3 and there was no "crafting your own story" at all, it was a pretty linear story in a game that let you wander around and complete that story at your own pace. That's not a criticism of the game, I absolutely loved Far Cry 3 and that story they gave me was really enjoyable. But it annoys me when marketing try to make out that there's some sort of "open" story you can influence :)

Yeah, it was totally ridiculous. It was bad in Far Cry 3, where right at the end, you can "craft your story" bu making a binary choice, that just gives you a slightly different cut screen.

The big whale of games that pulled that sort of shenanigans was Mass Effect 3. That was truly unbelievable marketing: "Every choice you've made in this universe will have an effect on your ending, we're not talking just a selection of cut scenes". Cue release, cue a massive out pouring of rage when the ending was just a selection of three cut scenes, each with a slightly different hue.

Looking forward to Far Cry 4, even if it may be gimped by previous Gen console support.

CatInABox wrote: »
    even if it may be gimped by console support.

FYP :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BnskVxSIQAABU9j.jpg:medium

• Advertisement

That's Brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Ha ha, love it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I still haven't been able to get back to FC3. The main character is so unlikable and the strategy is shallow. I honestly can't stand the game without applying some of the more popular mods for it over on nexus such as the difficulty mod and sound immersion. I loved FC2 on PS3, though and I notice it gets a lot of hate. FC2 had a lot of problems sure, but so did FC3. In FC3 they removed all the bad that was in FC2 but took none of the good!

FC3 felt like AAA garbage without mods.

I also wonder how exactly they're going to do anything impressive from a technical standpoint when it's being released on last gen consoles.

In short, I want FC2 A.I, Fire, Weapon Degradation (at a slower speed), Safe House and MAP. Then FC3 cover system and stealth kill system (although a little more advanced please!). And for the love of all that is holy get rid of the QTEs! Fat chance on ANY of that, though. Any bets on that it's going to be FC3.5 with elephants and 'next-gen' gwaffix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I didn't realise the bad guy from No One Lives Forever would be in this.

In my honest opinion, Far Cry 3 was only just above average in terms of quality. It looked great (console-considering), decent gameplay with multiple ways of taking areas, etc., but it was quite a repetitive game. The main character was very unlikeable, borderline obnoxious and typically American-loud, and the story was a little over the top. It also adopted too much from the Assassin's Creed games with the collectibles, skinning, claiming areas by climbing towers and the odd side quest here and there.

Ubisoft managed to create a living and breathing archipelago which encouraged exploring, but once you ended that it was a pretty mundane shooter. I really do believe it is overrated, and the 'provocative'/'adult' story attempted to make it serious, but failed miserably. I think Blood Dragon was a much better approach with the humour and over the top, 80s-style action movie, works better. I hope Far Cry 4 has a crazy, but hilarious bad-guy (Borderlands 2-ish), crazy stunts, ridiculous weapons, and silly dialogue. Some games are trying too much to take themselves serious and the very premise of Far Cry 3 is incredibly far-fetched that it falls at the first hurdle.

That's what has me worried about Watch_Dogs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I normally replay all my games, the ones I like several times, but I've yet to go back to far cry 3 for more than a couple of hours before I get bored and uninstall it. I'm not sure why that is.. I enjoyed it, I even liked the story.. or at least it sucked me in. I was genuinely annoyed at brodys irritating friends and girlfriend, bitches I have pirates to kill stop whining at me.

I haven't even bought blood dragon yet, I know it's a completely different game but I just try to picture myself playing far cry 3 with lasers and giant dinosaurs and I kinda meh my way to the x button at the top right of the tab.

even typing far cry 3 with lasers and giant dinosaurs makes me think I should really really want to play it but I just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Far cry 3 was absolutely brilliant all the way through. I found blood dragon boring (shock gasp), didn't come close to sneaking up on a compound and taking everyone out with the bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thing I liked about FC3 was the points, you approach them scope it out then decide how you are going to sort it.

Story was irrelevant to me, i completed all the points before i evern went near the next story mission. and it had a decent bow and arrow.

FC2 was pure and utter ****.

Fc1 was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I just hope that they let someone in the company do another Blood Dragon style follow up. Maybe a 70's blaxpoitation if the game is less jungley.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Far cry 3 was absolutely brilliant all the way through. I found blood dragon boring (shock gasp), didn't come close to sneaking up on a compound and taking everyone out with the bow.

Wasnt a fan of blood dragon myself.

Advertisement