Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Tiernan's Cycling Club - Winter Spins

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

spyderski wrote: »
    ...mostly flat eh? Good to know......

Sure you spend all your time going up hills. Flat will be good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

smacl wrote: »
    Also not entirely sure whether a club would suit, as I do the bulk of my riding solo at rather modest speeds and don't know how well I'd hack it in a group. Only one way of finding out I suppose. While distance isn't an issue, having seen NamelessPhil and co tear up hills, there's no way I'd manage that pace.

There's a level to suit everyone. There is a touring group who'd be averaging around 25kph. There were two faster groups last winter, one of experienced racers and another for those who wanted to go a bit faster than the touring group and maybe race the next year.

The only reason I'm tearing up hills is because I joined the club last October and rode with them over the winter. I still do a lot of stuff on my own but it's nice having a group ride at least once over the weekend. Learning how to ride and contribute in a group spin is good skill to have even if you never race. It may help when riding in groups in larger sportives and you'll achieve a faster average speed than when riding on your own, you get a chance to shelter from the headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

daragh_ wrote: »
    You make a very attractive Pink Princess.

Why thank you. I think my leg stubble sets off the pink ensemble just right. (I've not shaved them in weeks. 'Cos I keep it real. For the sisters.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Lovely morning for it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Indeed!

Unfortunately I got a flat on the way out there. The tyre it turns out was a bit of a pig to get off the wheel at all (new bike to me bought second hand and the tyres are a bit elderly) and equally challenging to get it back on again. A few pinches later I was done. Was near the bike shop on Sundrive so got sorted there with a new tyre and headed off towards Maynooth on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Back half an hour or so.
    Brill weather. About 20 turned up. Fair few Boards lads. Bunch split into two before the start. Down the "coast" road to Rathnew, Glenealy Ashford and back. About 110k for me. Nice company. Went around with "The Tax Man" (October 31st. deadline)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Just in the door. Nice route and company. Certainly pacey out there today.
    Hope to see y'all next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

A big ' thank you' for that, it was good fun :-)

I'm feeling pretty good - the lack of hills definitely helped!

Thanks for coming out folks. Hope you can make it again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Very enjoyable spin yesterday all.... Good to put faces to a few of these usernames as well. Not about next Saturday but will join up with ya again the following week.

• Advertisement

FYI. Next club spin leaves from the Maldron in Tallaght. Map here.

9.30 as usual. 75/80k Approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

FYI. Next club spin leaves from the Maldron...

Boo. That means its officially now winter

maloner wrote: »
    Boo. That means its officially now winter

Look on the bright side. You can stop shaving your legs.

Oh, wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fair Player

Couldn't agree more. They are a great club and you're having such a laugh with them that you¡d forget that you were even cycling!!!

Couldn't agree more. They are a great club and you're having such a laugh with them that you¡d forget that you were even cycling!!!

Wait until proper training starts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Are the winter spins for potential joiners still going on? I have had a few planned spins with others and won't be able to go on Saturdays until two weeks from tomorrow - is this still ok?

Winter Spins from the Maldron in Tallaght from now on. @DaithiMC you are welcome to come along anytime over the next few weeks as long as you have a read of this and email us in advance.

Winter Spins from the Maldron in Tallaght from now on. @DaithiMC you are welcome to come along anytime over the next few weeks as long as you have a read of this and email us in advance.

Thanks Daragh, have a CI licence this year, got the introductory one, and have participated in a few sportives so have the kit stuff. I reckon I am at the sportif level but happy to stay with the touring group for introductory purposes. I will be in touch, probably next week actually!

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Thanks Daragh, have a CI licence this year, got the introductory one, and have participated in a few sportives so have the kit stuff. I reckon I am at the sportif level but happy to stay with the touring group for introductory purposes. I will be in touch, probably next week actually!

Great stuff. See you soon!

Great stuff. See you soon!

Cheers, as a matter of interest what is a typical route starting from the Maldron? - I have been out through Blessington a few times but just wondered is that the usual direction from that starting point? See you next week!

• Advertisement

Cheers, as a matter of interest what is a typical route starting from the Maldron? - I have been out through Blessington a few times but just wondered is that the usual direction from that starting point? See you next week!

Depends on the group and who is down to lead. Might go via Blessington or might turn right before going over the Embankment and do a loop from there.

So for example last saturday Group A did an 80k loop that took in Straffan and Sallins. Group B did a 100k loop via Blessington, Dunlavin, Hollywood and home around the back of the lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

daragh, still possible to hook up with Tiernan's for a Saturday trial spin? I know the winter season is underway a few weeks now.

@MojoMaker

(as posted up-thread) you are welcome to come along anytime over the next few weeks as long as you have a read of this and email us in advance.

Anyone who is thinking of coming along should make sure they have Cycling Ireland membership.

@Daragh, thanks a lot for the spin today, always good to put names to faces and meet other club members and Boardsies (Hi Namelessphil!). It was exactly the type of course I wanted to do over the winter. Can't make next week but will be in touch probably through the club. Hope all made it back ok.

@Daragh, thanks a lot for the spin today, always good to put names to faces and meet other club members and Boardsies (Hi Namelessphil!). It was exactly the type of course I wanted to do over the winter. Can't make next week but will be in touch probably through the club. Hope all made it back ok.

Thanks for coming out. We got home in the end. Bit of sheparding required for a new rider who bonked but she rallied at the end.

Hope to see you out again soon.

Advertisement