Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Tiernan's Cycling Club - Winter Spins

Options
  • 02-10-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭

Don't want to hijack Buffalo's thread!

Interested in joining a Cycling Club in South Dublin?

If you are looking for a small, friendly, Purple and Red Themed Cycling Club then St. Tiernan's Cycling Club will be running group spins from next Saturday right through the Winter.

Our winter spins leave from the entrance to Park Vale estate on Sandyford Road, Dundrum or from the Maldron Hotel in Tallaght.

2 or 3 groups depending on numbers, catering to most levels. We have very active Road Racing and Touring members, plus a couple of Audax nutters.

More details here. http://www.sttiernanscc.com/membership/new-members/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

FITE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

You never mentioned that we were all a bunch of f*ckin' top men, and women! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

buffalo wrote: »
    FITE!

You may have the numerical advantage sir, but we are dressed like Spiderman!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Snazziest jersey around alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

daragh_ wrote: »
    You may have the numerical advantage sir, but we are dressed like Spiderman!

This year I think you should push the boundaries a little further, like so:

274165.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Just to add from personal experience, St. Tiernans are a great bunch of people to ride with, very friendly and welcoming both in person and as a club. …I feel a group hug coming on.

I'll balance that by saying that they are so welcoming and supportive that I've become a cycling widower many weekends over the last year while my wife headed out for club spins with them, leaving me alone and entirely at the mercy of my 4yr old daughter for a few hours each time. A 4yr old with a very active imagination. I've variously been dressed in witches clothing, played the roles of prince, pink princess, and ugly sister, had my face painted like a psycho clown from a horror film, been stood on, bounced on, fed all sorts of concoctions which would make a maggot gag, etc., etc. I'm a ruined man, the fiends! Friendly fiends though.

@doozerie

Full beards for ALL members will be compulsory from Jan 1.
    The inaugural meeting of the Spousal Support Network (STCCSSN - We're there because they don't care) will be announced shortly.

You make a very attractive Pink Princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Don't want to hijack Buffalo's thread!

Interested in joining a Cycling Club in South Dublin?

/

Its a cut throat business!
    Think my decision will be based on if im more likely to get up early on a saturday or a sunday :rolleyes: .. decided i want to try my hand at a race before i turn 40 in the not so distant future. not sure if im able but only one way to find out!
    Think it'll have to be orwell on sunday this week but ill try make next saturday so then you can have bidding war for my signature :D

mahoo wrote: »
    Its a cut throat business!
    Think my decision will be based on if im more likely to get up early on a saturday or a sunday :rolleyes: .. decided i want to try my hand at a race before i turn 40 in the not so distant future. not sure if im able but only one way to find out!
    Think it'll have to be orwell on sunday this week but ill try make next saturday so then you can have bidding war for my signature :D

We would be delighted to have you along at any stage. No purchase required. :)

We are involved in the Inter-Club League which is a great way to get started in racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

No Sunday spins ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

mahoo wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan. Was thinking of doing the same myself.

@ror_74

Nope. You can usually find some of our members out training on a Sunday but official club spins are always Saturday morning.

ror_74 wrote: »
    No Sunday spins ?

Psst, hey kid! You want Sunday spins? Try over here --> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86818745#post86818745

:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

@Daragh.
    Should be there. Just up the road from me.
    Time to whip out the auld racer. It's been a while.

@Planet X

Good stuff. Won't be around for a few weeks myself because of injury but you'll recognise a few Boardsies!

@buffalo

Get yer own thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

@daragh_
    do you need to email details prior to the spin as specified on the website?
    Cheers

@Scuba_Scoper

Yes please. Use the contact form or email info at sttiernanscc.com
    This allows us to anticipate numbers and plan accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Going to join up myself on Saturday morning! Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

So I just realised that there are two clubs around the corner from me within an ass's roar of one another. How lucky am I?........
    Is there history there? ..............Maybe all that can wait till Sat morning, provided I can break away from the BH and terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Smaller size club appeals to me. Hope to drop by Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Smaller size club appeals to me.

Likewise, though the road bike is currently in bits on the floor in an attempted 9sp to 10sp upgrade, so not looking good for tomorrow.

Also not entirely sure whether a club would suit, as I do the bulk of my riding solo at rather modest speeds and don't know how well I'd hack it in a group. Only one way of finding out I suppose. While distance isn't an issue, having seen NamelessPhil and co tear up hills, there's no way I'd manage that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

That gives you a whole evening to finish assembling it, Smacl!

Considering boards.ie's opinion of our relationship, it'll be interesting to meet you tomorrow!

Would be great to see you all. Just make sure to mail or use the contact form posted above in advance so we know you are coming. You don't have to show up tomorrow btw - you can come along anytime over the next few weeks.

LIke most clubs prospective members are welcome to come on 3 spins. After that we ask you to sign on the dotted line. You MUST have a valid Cycling Ireland for insurance reasons.

@smacl There will be a broad range of ability in the groups and you won't be expected to sit in with the race group (yet!). I've seen you out and about and I doubt you'll have any issues :D

Looks like it will be a nice day tomorrow. The lads have a nice handy route planned with a few places where you can turn off if you feel like it. I won't be out as my collar bone is still wonky but there are plenty of Boardsies so make sure to say hi. Have a great spin.

LIke most clubs prospective members are welcome to come on 3 spins. After that we ask you to sign on the dotted line. You MUST have a valid Cycling Ireland for insurance reasons.

Thanks Daragh. Do you know how exactly that 3 spins works? IE can I do 3 spins with St Tiernan's & 3 with another nearby club that shall remain nameless or is it three in total with CI clubs? I'm hoping to make it to both the clubs in the area for a couple of spins.

From reading about them, it sounds like I'd be lucky to have either club as my only local cycling club. It's fortunate to have to make such a choice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

what distance are we talking about for tomorrow?

quozl wrote: »
    Thanks Daragh. Do you know how exactly that 3 spins works? IE can I do 3 spins with St Tiernan's & 3 with another nearby club that shall remain nameless or is it three in total with CI clubs? I'm hoping to make it to both the clubs in the area for a couple of spins.

From reading about them, it sounds like I'd be lucky to have either club as my only local cycling club. It's fortunate to have to make such a choice ;)

It's three spins total. It's a courtesy provided by CI, and therefore applies to all clubs as a giant entity.

It's three spins total. It's a courtesy provided by CI, and therefore applies to all clubs as a giant entity.
    Cheers Buffalo. I can always pay for a 2013 license to cover the gap if it turns out to be needed.

Thanks Buffalo.

bellinter wrote: »
    what distance are we talking about for tomorrow?

80k approx. Mostly flat. There are a few points to turn back if you don't feel like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

...mostly flat eh? Good to know......

Advertisement