Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do women prefer Desperate Housewives?

Options
  • 30-04-2011 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

over The Wire? ive watched these shows with me bird and she honestly thinks Desperate Housewives is better than The Wire

like WTF........Is it a male/female thing or is it just bad taste from me bird??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

There's a problem if your wife doesn't like the wire ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

jimpump wrote: »
    over The Wire? ive watched these shows with me bird and she honestly thinks Desperate Housewives is better than The Wire

like WTF........Is it a male/female thing or is it just bad taste from me bird??

Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I always though Jersey Shore was like a cross between The Wire and Desperate Housewives. But what do i know, iv never watched either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I have never watched the wire but if it is even nearly as good as desperate housewives I must give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Really?

Here, gimme a minute,I'll ask them.

• Advertisement

poisonated wrote: »
    I have never watched the wire but if it is even nearly as good as desperate housewives I must give it a try.

Yes. Its intelligent, well written and thought provoking. You should try it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

In fairness, I'd say men prefer desperate housewives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

she honestly thinks Desperate Housewives is better than The Wire

Really? All I can say is....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I don't think I've ever seen The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Watched desperate housewives a couple of times not my cup of tea tbh.

• Advertisement

Aoifey! wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen The Wire.

If there's been a better TV programme produced than the wire I want to see it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Honestly? I can't see any good redeeming features about that series (or many like it) but then the female species are a world away from us in train of thought and sometimes favouritism in regards to programmes.

Its one of those eternal mysteries which will never be solved! :pac:

orourkeda wrote: »
    The Shield, The West Wing are on par with it!

*cough*
    <---

/you better have avatars turned on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Shes watchin Glee now!!! **** this **** :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Did youse ever hear of the auld multiroom.

The real problem here is OP is letting a woman control the remote....

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I would have though the problem was, how did she escape the chains attached to the kitchen sink! :pac:

Yes, I'm a dead man when the wife sees the above! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Comparing Desperate Housewives to The Wire is comparing apples an oranges. They're completely different genres, different writing styles, different target audiences etc....The Wire is still miles better though :D.

However to be fair, the writing in seasons 1-2/3 of Desperate Housewives was excellent and very funny. It was actually some of the main writers of Frasier suprisingly enough :eek:. While the plots were still outlandish they still had a semblence of reality, those events might actually happen. Whatever season they used a plane crash to kill off some of the cast was just awful though, it's lazy writing at its worst.

The new show Southland is definately up there. It's the closest TV has gotten to the Wire since in my opinion. It very much focuses on the police angle rather than Los Angeles as a whole though. Well worth a look.

Homicide: Life On The Street has its cheerleaders as well but the writing went seriously downhill after season 4 in my opinion. I always imagine it as a sort of proto type version of the Wire. It was getting there but never quite made it.

Boardwalk Empire definately has the potential to be the next Wire but....there's something missing. I can't put my finger on it, it just doesn't capture my attention. Maybe the next season will step it up a gear.

shes been away working the last week so shes catching up on her shows now on sky plus, ive had the whole week to watch the tele so now its her turn........unfortunatly :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Anyone who watches Glee over The Wire needs their head examined.

Biggins wrote: »
    I would have though the problem was, how did she escape the chains attached to the kitchen sink! :pac:

Yes, I'm a dead man when the wife sees the above! :D

Didnt your missus sign up just yesterday??
    Il send her a link to this...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved to Television.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Pick up the DVD's if you can't be master of your own television. 50 quid. Great presentation and lots of good comms, docs and q+a's thrown in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

They generally just have bad taste in TV & music, especially TV though!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The Wire is one of the unique shows on tv that actually needs you to concentrate when watching unlike the all the other mindless garbage that repeats itself a million times over. Its social commentary is second to none in terms of tv dramas. It is as broad ranging as is possible, investigating almost all areas of modern urban life. It actually invokes an intellectual reaction from its audience and that is why it is so worthy of its merit. Comparing desperate housewives and The Wire is like comparing fast food with fine cuisine. It reminds me of a novel more so than what one comes to expect from tv dramas.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The Wire is one of the unique shows on tv that actually needs you to concentrate when watching unlike the all the other mindless garbage that repeats itself a million times over. Its social commentary is second to none in terms of tv dramas. It is as broad ranging as is possible, investigating almost all areas of modern urban life. It actually invokes an intellectual reaction from its audience and that is why it is so worthy of its merit. Comparing desperate housewives and The Wire is like comparing fast food with fine cuisine. It reminds me of a novel more so than what one comes to expect from tv dramas.

gotta agree man, im watchin The Wire series for the 10th time on FX every sunday....it gets better every time i watch it

Jesus wept
    He would if he had to endure an episode! :pac:
    Didnt your missus sign up just yesterday??
    Il send her a link to this...:p
    Traitor! :p
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    ...Comparing desperate housewives and The Wire is like comparing fast food with fine cuisine...
    More like comparing one cheap sausage to a full course 5 star meal!

Biggins wrote: »
    More like comparing one cheap sausage to a full course 5 star meal!

Taco bell and 3 Michellan Star restaurants then :P.

Desperate Housewives does what it sets out to do very well, mindless entertainment for lady folk, you have to give it that, but on the large scale of things its brutal!

• Advertisement

Can you trade her in or is she too auld :P

Advertisement