Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

SCHUMACHER STOLEN MEDICAL FILES: FRENCH POLICE CLOSING IN ON THE SUSPECT

Police in France investigating the sordid tale of the theft of Michael Schumacher’s medical records believe they are close to finding the culprit.
    They have managed to identify the IP address of a computer from which the records were sent and it is located in a Swiss helicopter firm, which was lined up to transport the seven times champion to Lausanne hospital from Grenoble, where he had spent six months recuperating from his ski accident last December.

In the end he was repatriated by road using a special ambulance on the 16th June. A few days after the journey the files were offered to reporters by someone using a string of online aliases, including the name Kagemusha San, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. The offer was accompanied by a couple of sample pages of the report. It originated from an IP address at the helicopter firm.

According to the BBC, the thief offered the documents for sale for £40,000, but potential buyers in the French, Swiss and German tabloid media were put off by warnings from Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm that they would sue anyone who published the records. Kehm and the family have guarded Schumacher’s privacy very carefully following his accident, with minimal information released and a blanket ban on any photos.

The helicopter firm in Switzerland told reporters that it had indeed received a medical report on Schumacher prior to the repatriation flight, but that it believed that patient confidentiality had been preserved and they had no knowledge of any investigation into their IT systems.

One notable and positive point is that Schumacher’s wife Corinna has felt able to be seen out in public recently, at an equestrian event in Switzerland last weekend. She attended a round of the European championships at a ranch that the Schumachers own, close to their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

JULY 9, 2014
    Wife says Schumacher moving forward in rehab

Corinna Schumacher has delivered an encouraging message about the progress of her injured husband.

Now out of his long coma, F1 legend Michael Schumacher was transferred from intensive care in Grenoble to a Swiss rehabilitation clinic three weeks ago.

No official updates have been provided since then, but his wife Corinna buoyed hopes this week when she appeared happy and beaming in a series of photos.

According to the Mirror, during her first public appearance in months, Mrs Schumacher "laughed and joked" as she attended a horse riding event in Switzerland.

Now, a quote has emerged in the German women's magazine Neue Post that adds to the feeling of optimism about seven time world champion Schumacher's future.

"Moving forwards," said Corinna when asked about her husband's progress. "Slowly, of course, but at least we go forward."

(GMM) ( Source GPTODAY.COM )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Michael Schumacher continues to make good progress following his move to a Swiss rehabilitation centre and could return home soon, according to reports.

source: according to planet-f1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

so basically, he is going to be driving a wheelchair through a straw for the rest of his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

lolosaur wrote: »
    so basically, he is going to be driving a wheelchair through a straw for the rest of his life.
    At this stage it's unlikely he'll return to full health. The lack of information from the family or the man himself would lead me to believe he's had some serious brain injuries, this could range from motor control issues, speech problems to a near vegetative state.

I hope it's on the less serious end of things, he would have the willpower to train himself to overcome a lot of problems that can be overcome. I'd hate to think of the worst case scenario where the minds working but it can't communicate with the body and he's stuck in a bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    After your one month ban you come back and that`s your first post.

Yes?

he is clearly paralysed from the neck down and they are getting him an advanced electric wheelchair.

These are controlled via a straw to the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yes?

he is clearly paralysed from the neck down and they are getting him an advanced electric wheelchair.

These are controlled via a straw to the mouth.

<snip> Found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

You would imagine schumacher would rather be dead then be in that type scenario.

I wonder would he consider one of the suicide clinics? imagine the debate that would throw up if someone so young and high profile decided to go that way.

Why are you coming in here trying to stir **** when we are talking about someone's life? Cop yourself on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You would imagine schumacher would rather be dead then be in that type scenario.

I wonder would he consider one of the suicide clinics? imagine the debate that would throw up if someone so young and high profile decided to go that way.

I don't think many people but you have said they imagine hhe'd rather be dead. I'd have thought he'd rather be with his family.

Do you make it your mission to post the most insensitive things you think of, while trying to toe the line on the rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Reports are saying that he might be moved home within a month. There they will be able to care for him. I heard he is communicating using blinking/fluttering eyelashes.

Does anyone know the estimated length of recover from situations like this? I know he won't be the same as before the crash and it is hard for us to estimate without his medical notes but in terms of being able to talk etc.

Really hope he improves, truly was one of the best drivers of all times and I remember getting up early every sunday to watch him race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

v10 wrote: »

From the article:
    Meanwhile, the Mirror reports "it is understood that while Schumacher remains paralysed, he is able to answer questions from his wife and children Gina-Maria, 17, and son Mick, 15, by fluttering his eyes".

It adds that "doctors at the clinic in Switzerland hope to have Michael sitting upright in an advanced electronic wheelchair that he can control via his mouth within a few weeks".

My heart really goes out to the Schumacher family. How truly, soul destroyingly hard, must it be to see Michael in that condition. I've so much respect for Corinna, she literally has the eyes of the world on her, while dealing with a tragic, life changing injury to her husband, their lives & their children's lives too. She has dealt with everything to date in a manner that shows such devotion to Michael & their families privacy. It's a tragic, truly tragic way for things to have gone for them :(

But, he's still there, still fighting, as he always has done. I really hope his quality of life is good.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Does anyone know the estimated length of recover from situations like this? I know he won't be the same as before the crash and it is hard for us to estimate without his medical notes but in terms of being able to talk etc.

I think in these cases, things like talking etc are dealt with not as a matter of when, but if :(

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think in these cases, things like talking etc are dealt with not as a matter of when, but if :(

Just saw this article there but I don't know its credibility though.

"Injured Formula One race car driver Michael Schumacher might be able to walk and talk soon as reports claimed he is to be a recipient of a microchip brain implant that will speed up his recovery."

I really hope its true and not one of those horrible fake stories that had spread around before.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/559887/20140722/michael-schumacher-microchip-brain-implant.htm#.U86OnVaGsYU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Reports are saying that he might be moved home within a month. There they will be able to care for him. I heard he is communicating using blinking/fluttering eyelashes.

Really hope he improves, truly was one of the best drivers of all times and I remember getting up early every sunday to watch him race.

Same here. Remember getting up at ungodly hours to watch the races. I don't think I missed one up until he retired.

In terms of recovery and being able to speak and regaining some mobility, we really can't tell. It very much depends on which regions of the brain sustained injury. One thing I will say though is that the brain is famed for its elasticity. If a function is lost due to trauma to one specific area, that same functionality can be "learned" by another area. It takes time though. A meaningful recovery is probably a long way off yet. Having said that, looking at where we were a little over a month ago, he appears to have made huge strides. #ForzaMichael

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just saw this article there but I don't know its credibility though.

"Injured Formula One race car driver Michael Schumacher might be able to walk and talk soon as reports claimed he is to be a recipient of a microchip brain implant that will speed up his recovery."

I really hope its true and not one of those horrible fake stories that had spread around before.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/559887/20140722/michael-schumacher-microchip-brain-implant.htm#.U86OnVaGsYU

Ever heard of that treatment before? No, neither have I.

Larbre34 wrote: »

I've heard of it before yes. It was on the news recently enough where it helped a paralysed man move his arm. That was a medical first I thought but could be wrong. I have never heard of it used for speech and walking though.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Deep brain stimulation. It's been around for a few years now. There have been some trials with it on epileptic patients with varying degrees of success. In the case of epilepsy it works by applying electrical stimulation to affected regions to try and suppress electrical activity. I haven't read that Croatian paper but I'd imagine that applying specific frequencies helps damaged tissue to regenerate faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Sounds like his has something like "Locked-in syndrome, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome. Plenty of sufferers have recovered from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

maudgone wrote: »
    Sounds like his has something like "Locked-in syndrome, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome. Plenty of sufferers have recovered from this.

Nobody truly knows what level of disability he has.....

• Advertisement

I haven't read that Croatian paper but I'd imagine that applying specific frequencies helps damaged tissue to regenerate faster.

Was just thinking about this a little bit more. What I stated in the bit quoted above is not entirely accurate (I can't be having that :) ). Rather than helping tissue regenerate, it is more likely the electrical impulses applied via a neural implant promote connections between neurons to be made a lot more easily. When we learn something new (a new skill or when we process new information), our neurons forge new connections with one another. So zapping specific regions via an implanted chip/electrode may enable these connections to occur much more rapidly. These type of devices have also been used for years in controlling tremors associated with Parkinsons Disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,026 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Not sure I'd put much trust in "the mirror"s sources or any other newspaper reports on how he's doing. Thought the message from his wife at German GP was good though, good that family must be feeling okay about he's doing at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

WTF

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0806/635508-schumacher-records/

Guy suspected of stealing/leaking the medical records found dead in police cell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

WTF

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0806/635508-schumacher-records/

Guy suspected of stealing/leaking the medical records found dead in police cell!

I think he committed suicide as he was found hanged and no third party is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I think he committed suicide as he was found hanged and no third party is involved.

Get a grip, if you believe no third party was involved in that hanging you are living on cloud cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

syngindub wrote: »
    Get a grip, if you believe no third party was involved in that hanging you are living on cloud cuckoo land.

Woah there horsey. We's a friendly bunch around here! :D

I'm sure plenty think its a bit fishy, I do. It looks like LH was stating the obvious given the reports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I wouldn't think it likely that someone else has had a hand in this guy's death.

He has disgraced himself professionally, I'm not sure if he owns the company, but chances are they'll never transport a patient again. Perhaps it was money problems which led him to offer the records for sale and this was his final straw.

Unfortunately suicides in police cells are very common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Woah there horsey. We's a friendly bunch around here! :D

I'm sure plenty think its a bit fishy, I do. It looks like LH was stating the obvious given the reports

I've calmed down now :)

If he worked for the company then it's no skin off his nose.

• Advertisement

If he worked for the company then it's no skin off his nose.

Barring being in prison, & the stigma of doing such a lowly thing that would have followed him all his life

Advertisement