Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

11617181921

Comments



  • Gamb!t wrote: »
    I met some Swiss friends last summer who said he was still in a bad way and will not recover,they also told me that he was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident but in fact an F1 cap.

    Doubt it, i'd say it's pretty hard to mount a gopro to a baseball cap without it falling off........




  • Where was the proof he was wearing a helmet and a gopro,there is also no proof on the cap but the accident is a bit clouded ?
    I'm not saying it is gospel that he was wearing the cap but I value the opinion of the people that told me.




  • This report was linked earlier in the thread
    The prosecutor's office in the resort town of Albertville, which is overseeing the investigation into the accident, confirmed that Schumacher's helmet had split when he fell and hit a rock. "It broke apart in two pieces," an official said.




  • Christ, some mind boggling things said here.

    "He's better off dead" "Family should let go and move on" "He's draining the family resources".

    Incredible how so many know the exact extent of his condition in order to make comments like that, here I was thinking his family had done an excellent job protecting his and their privacy. Obviously I was wrong, a lot of recent posters seem to know what's best for him, I wouldn't insult their intelligence by suggesting they are basing their statements on idle speculation.

    Oh, and as for draining the family fortune keeping him alive; given what is known of his net worth I think it's safe to assume his family will be fine regardless of his medical expenses unless they're something like $20 million a year.....

    My favourite is the guy who wants proof he was wearing a helmet. I wonder did he ask his "friends" for proof he was wearing a cap?:rolleyes:




  • HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Christ, some mind boggling things said here.

    "He's better off dead" "Family should let go and move on" "He's draining the family resources".

    Incredible how so many know the exact extent of his condition in order to make comments like that, here I was thinking his family had done an excellent job protecting his and their privacy. Obviously I was wrong, a lot of recent posters seem to know what's best for him, I wouldn't insult their intelligence by suggesting they are basing their statements on idle speculation.

    Oh, and as for draining the family fortune keeping him alive; given what is known of his net worth I think it's safe to assume his family will be fine regardless of his medical expenses unless they're something like $20 million a year.....

    My favourite is the guy who wants proof he was wearing a helmet. I wonder did he ask his "friends" for proof he was wearing a cap?:rolleyes:
    Well said


  • Advertisement


  • HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    Incredible how so many know the exact extent of his condition in order to make comments like that, here I was thinking his family had done an excellent job protecting his and their privacy. Obviously I was wrong, a lot of recent posters seem to know what's best for him, I wouldn't insult their intelligence by suggesting they are basing their statements on idle speculation.

    The problem with keeping such a tight lid of everything officially from the Schumacher family is that when di Montezemolo comes out and says what he said people jump on it. We have no info so people don't have anything objective to base their opinions on unfortunately.




  • A trashy German tabloid has published the headline "[Schumi] is no longer with us!"




  • Update from Kehm:
    "He is the most successful driver in history and sometimes, on days like this, it is good to be reminded of it. Of course, Michael is not here and of course we miss him. We know what has happened and cannot change it. We must accept it and hope with everything we have that with continued support and patience he will one day be back with us. Racing was his life and no one would have liked to have been here more than him."

    Nice to hear something official, but it seems to be all resting on hope, giving us a rather grim picture :(

    Source




  • That is a very grim release, doesn't sound like he is in anyway conscious at all :(




  • Again... perhaps taken out of context? Kehm was speaking at the opening of an exhibition celebrating Michael's career. So the "here" that she is referring to could be the opening of the said exhibition rather than his mental state.


  • Advertisement


  • HighLine wrote: »
    Again... perhaps taken out of context? Kehm was speaking at the opening of an exhibition celebrating Michael's career. So the "here" that she is referring to could be the opening of the said exhibition rather than his mental state.

    Yeah that's what I took out of it, 'here' as in the opening ceremony. The "with continued support and patience he will one day be back with us" maybe conflicts with that a little though, but again, we're dealing with translations so who knows.




  • Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I took out of it, 'here' as in the opening ceremony. The "with continued support and patience he will one day be back with us" maybe conflicts with that a little though, but again, we're dealing with translations so who knows.

    If it makes any difference, according to this, her words were:
    Natürlich fehlt Michael an Tagen wie heute

    It translates more as somebody physically not being present at, or missing from, an event.

    Same with the:
    dass er eines Tages wieder dabei sein wird

    It speaks more of the fact that he isn't at this particular event, but we hope that one day he will be in a position to be at events like this again.




  • ^^ More like it alright, cheers :)




  • an updates?




  • Shane St. wrote: »
    an updates?

    After 5 months? Really?
    Latest is he is being cared for at home. The injury is clearly life debilitating, so let's let him have respectful privacy.




  • flazio wrote: »
    After 5 months? Really?
    Latest is he is being cared for at home. The injury is clearly life debilitating, so let's let him have respectful privacy.

    What's the problem? After 5 months, yes, it's called an update. I'd imagine anyone who ever followed F1 or even heard of the man would be interested to know how he's doing. Get down off your high horse before u fall.




  • I think after 4 years any hope of any kind of meaningful recovery is lost. That said, like everyone else, I have no idea what his current condition is. I'm not a fan but I do think it's quite cruel of his family to not update his supporters at all on his condition. It would eradicate the random speculation at least.




  • Scotty # wrote: »
    I think after 4 years any hope of any kind of meaningful recovery is lost. That said, like everyone else, I have no idea what his current condition is. I'm not a fan but I do think it's quite cruel of his family to not update his supporters at all on his condition. It would eradicate the random speculation at least.

    What can the family tell you that satisfies you?
    a. He is still comatous but shows glimpse of consciousness?
    b. He is still comatous and shows no glimpse of consciousness?
    c. He is recovering but it will take years to get back to an unassisted life?

    All that the family can tell you, will only lead to more intrusive questions and then the additional piece of unwanted advice. IMO they are doing the right thing to keep their privacy. Cause their life has priority, the info for nosy supporters won't help the family and won't satisfy all supporters anyway.




  • Harika wrote: »
    What can the family tell you that satisfies you?
    a. He is still comatous but shows glimpse of consciousness?
    b. He is still comatous and shows no glimpse of consciousness?
    c. He is recovering but it will take years to get back to an unassisted life?

    All that the family can tell you, will only lead to more intrusive questions and then the additional piece of unwanted advice. IMO they are doing the right thing to keep their privacy. Cause their life has priority, the info for nosy supporters won't help the family and won't satisfy all supporters anyway.

    I dont agree. He made his name and his fortune from a sport that depends on fans and as such it wouldnt be too much to once a year make a statement saying he is doing well or still fighting or has shown great improvement.


  • Advertisement


  • Would you say that about an actor or musician?




  • Would you say that about an actor or musician?

    Yes if they were so popular that there was continuous intense speculation as to their condition.




  • Harika wrote: »
    What can the family tell you that satisfies you?
    ANYTHING! He's improving, he's declining, there's no change??? Anything at all.

    I'd say the prognosis is pretty poor. I don't believe we'll ever see him again. He suffered a catastrophic brain injury that would have killed most people but due to his wealth and status, and a lot of luck (in where the accident happened) he was given the best care by the best doctors available and was kept alive. He always kept his private life private but he had, and still has, many many adoring fans that, in my opinion, have cruelly been left in the dark.




  • Scotty # wrote: »
    He always kept his private life private...

    There is your answer.




  • The fact is, that public figure like him has his private life somehow limited. :P

    I second that - ANY information about his current condition would be much better than no information.




  • joujoujou wrote: »
    The fact is, that public figure like him has his private life somehow limited. :P

    I second that - ANY information about his current condition would be much better than no information.

    Well when you manage to provide a copy of the contract he signed with the "general public" saying that details of his condition under these circumstances should be released, even if his surviving family members don't want the details released, then get back to us.

    Until then it none of anyones business, ever.




  • joujoujou wrote: »
    The fact is, that public figure like him has his private life somehow limited. :P

    He left the public realm when he quit the sport and became a private person again.




  • I do not demand any information about his current condition to be released. Just pointing to obvious facts and simultaneously backing other fans feelings.

    It's discussion boards and expressing own opinions are not forbidden here as long as they're not breaking the law nor netiquette.




  • joujoujou wrote: »
    I do not demand any information about his current condition to be released. Just pointing to obvious facts and simultaneously backing other fans feelings.

    It's discussion boards and expressing own opinions are not forbidden here as long as they're not breaking the law nor netiquette.
    No. It's just plain sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.


  • Advertisement


  • mattser wrote: »
    No. It's just plain sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.
    LOL, we're talking here about people who adored him, loved him, idolised him, you know, those people he made hundreds of millions from. They care about him. To keep them in the dark is cruel. If someone you loved or admired was injured wouldn't you like to know they're OK? The last time someone said to you, 'Hello, how are you?' I wonder did you tell them to mind their own business?

    I didn't like him as a sportsperson, thought he should have had much more severe penalties for his cheating than he received but of course I'd like to see him regain a good quality of life. I feel sorry for his wife and kids. But I also feel sorry for those that are left to wonder.


Advertisement