Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolling 101 & Mod misinterpretation

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

K-9 wrote: »
    Seems other sites are for you then, big deal. You have the freedom to choose what you like, nobody forces anybody to like or stay on the site.

Ok, we'll put that in the maybe pile . . . I've a better suggestion you'll be delighted to hear.
    All mods should take a 2 week break, not even to post as normal punters as the bold blue puts the sh*ts up some people.
    See how threads develop naturally then take a poll of the users once the experiment is over, let their decision dictate future mod policy.
    Obviously retain a couple of super-mods just to delete libel & keep the meter running.

If that doesn't float your boat then consider creating an After Hours style thread that is modless.
    The Helen Lovejoys will know to keep their over sensitive noses out of it.

All of the above makes so much sense that it's bound to be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ok, we'll put that in the maybe pile . . . I've a better suggestion you'll be delighted to hear.
    All mods should take a 2 week break, not even to post as normal punters as the bold blue puts the sh*ts up some people.
    See how threads develop naturally then take a poll of the users once the experiment is over, let their decision dictate future mod policy.
    Obviously retain a couple of super-mods just to delete libel & keep the meter running.

If that doesn't float your boat then consider creating an After Hours style thread that is modless.
    The Helen Lovejoys will know to keep their over sensitive noses out of it.

All of the above makes so much sense that it's bound to be ignored.

An unmodded boards.ie wouldn't last 2 weeks

I think it's 4chan you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Saying that someone is "trolling" is about as meaningless as saying they're "sound" or "bold".

Basically it translates as "I don't like what you do/say".

There's rudeness. There's breaking the law. Anything else is just expressing an opinion. Maybe one that other people don't like and may react to in predictable ways. But that's the other people's behavioural choice, not the posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

in places like soccer, that experiment wouldn't last a day, never mind 2 weeks.

Saying that someone is "trolling" is about as meaningless as saying they're "sound" or "bold".

There's rudeness. There's breaking the law. Anything else is just expressing an opinion. Maybe one that other people don't like and may react to in predictable ways. But that's the other people's behavioural choice, not the posters.

for me it is also how you express your opinion, what language you use.
    For example, I would very rarely view/post on After Hours, because things tend to be a bit more "bold".
    But there are certain threads I follow (namely Music, LGBT and a couple of the regional) that people disagree in a meaningful way, not just to provoke reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I disagree. To me it means "You are being a dick & your comments are likely to piss off other posters."

I'll give you feedback if you want it.

Your system of policing is seriously flawed, the volunteer moderation system does not work, it only serves to create cliques & frustrate opposition posters.
    I have 1,000's of posts on F365, Reddit, Politics.ie, Peoples Republic of Cork & have never even seen or heard of an infraction.
    In this place you attempt to make a joke & the Stasi are in like a shot.
    Perhaps it's easier to call everyone a troll when you have zero ability in your job.

C'mon now, surely I'm overdue my 20th yellow card, 15th infraction, 5th banning, 6th re-reg, cause this system really works.

Why not contest your cards/bans in DRP? If it is because you don't agree with overall boards 'policing policy' maybe this isn't the site for you.

Why not contest your cards/bans in DRP? If it is because you don't agree with overall boards 'policing policy' maybe this isn't the site for you.

I have done DRP in the past, proved to be an utter waste of time.

Mods back up mods, it's human nature to protect your own, we all do it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have done DRP in the past, proved to be an utter waste of time.

Mods back up mods, it's human nature to protect your own, we all do it.

I own other mods? First I've heard of it. And as it happens, I disagree with that on a moral level. Each to their own.

Each to their very own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I think boards has a bit of an identity crisis.
    The busiest forum, AH, is the one where posters go knowing there's smart answers, sarcasm, rereg trolls, light hearted pub banter...

The less popular niche (serious discussion?) forums are the standard boards would like to be at, but it's just not your demographic. Over sensitive modding breeds over sensitive posters.. The wingers moan cause they know they'll get an ear..

Cut down on the cards, infractions and banning and you'll see less reports as posters learn to just take it on the chin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Irish Aris wrote: »
    in places like soccer, that experiment wouldn't last a day, never mind 2 weeks.

That's because of cliques all reporting posts they don't like.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    That's because of cliques all reporting posts they don't like.

what cliques?

what cliques?

The ones in the SF.

Those Sinn Féin lads are fierce cliquey all right. :pac:

what cliques?

There is one very popular forum here where I decided to question the perceived wisdom on a popular matter.
    I got set upon by the local sewing circle so I fought my corner until the mod came in & deleted my posts lest someone might act on it.
    I laughed it off until my inbox started filling with PM's from posters who'd seen what happened & sympathised with me, the collective opinion is that nobody could post in the forum cause it was ruled by this mod & his guard dogs.

I'm aware of 3 forums ran by cliques, I still post there from time to time as they're popular topics but the cut & paste condescending responses are grating.

There is one very popular forum here where I decided to question the perceived wisdom on a popular matter.
    I got set upon by the local sewing circle so I fought my corner until the mod came in & deleted my posts lest someone might act on it.
    I laughed it off until my inbox started filling with PM's from posters who'd seen what happened & sympathised with me, the collective opinion is that nobody could post in the forum cause it was ruled by this mod & his guard dogs.

I'm aware of 3 forums ran by cliques, I still post there from time to time as they're popular topics but the cut & paste condescending responses are grating.

Sarcasm is a popular one.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Sarcasm is a popular one.

Right shower of feckers there alright.
    The Irony forum was lost on me, nobody got my ferus jokes at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Yea this is probably one of the no.1 non-mod-actionable causes of discussions turning bad and/or getting shut down on Boards, and sometimes it's so frequent, it's often hard not to respond in kind (and end up picking up mod action in the process, eventually - which is easy to become lopsided if it's a whole bunch of posters being highly condescending, against one or two other posters); think I had a thread on it a while back (or which touched on it).

Even though I know it's not actionable, I try to report it when it's particularly unconstructive (as, if I recall correctly, mods suggested it helps establish a pattern) - but don't know whether that's just a nuisance or not.

Advertisement