Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolling 101 & Mod misinterpretation

Options
  • 12-02-2015 10:02am
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Trolling: posting with the vindictive intent to antagonise fellow users;

Not to be confused with: Craic, banter, stirring the pot, humour

I think we've all learned something here.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Troll

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

OldGoat wrote: »
    Troll

Ah ha, that's where you'd be wrong, I'm more an educator, a teacher if you will, that figure you once looked up to but now is gone

It's just a matter of interpretation. I see your post as being antagonistic therefore it's trollish. You perfer to see it as banter. :)

Here be dragons and this is why there are so many argumen...discussions about modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Like Plato or Aristotle? OG would remember those lads well from his college days. :p

When me and ol' Aristi used go on the pish...good times, good times.

• Advertisement

Enough with your celebratory circle jerk & secret handshake, more about how right I am please

Enough with your celebratory circle jerk & secret handshake, more about how right I am please
    I'll chose to interpret that as "Craic, banter, stirring the pot, humour". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

When me and ol' Aristi used go on the pish...good times, good times.
    He was "a bugger for the bottle", so I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Write what you like,just put a smiley face at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trolling: posting with the vindictive intent to antagonise fellow users;

Not to be confused with: Craic, banter, stirring the pot, humour

I think we've all learned something here.

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/stir+the+pot.html
    To stir the pot is to agitate a situation to cause a reaction or trouble.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trolling
    Digital Technology, Informal.
    to post inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments on (the Internet, especially a message board) for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response.
    to upset or provoke (other users) by posting such messages or comments.

Not sure if we have learnt a little something here.

And I'm not trolling you by pointing this out. After all, it's just "banter"

• Advertisement

Why must the forum be policed to the standards of it's weakest most over-sensitive members ?.
    One report sets off an alarm while 20 wry chuckles go unheard.
    It's all a recipe for poor sanitized PC debate & nobody is here for that now are they.
    We can do better, we must do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why must the forum be policed to the standards of it's weakest most over-sensitive members ?.
    It's all a recipe for poor sanitized PC debate & nobody is here for that now are they.

You do realise that not every report claiming trolling is actioned, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You do realise that not every report claiming trolling is actioned, don't you?

Shh, it's only a few steps from pointing that out to them to them figuring out that no report is actioned on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

I hear ya. There can be no craic because god forbid someone's feelings get hurt.

Boards.ie: A Sharia controlled zone, no fun allowed.

I hear ya. There can be no craic because god forbid someone's feelings get hurt.

Boards.ie: A Sharia controlled zone, no fun allowed.

92800.1419456430.jpg

Mod Note: Humour attempted while outlawed in the charter.
    Please take time to familairise yoursef with the charter, say 3 Our Fathers & do the Angelus bongs backwards.
    Thread closed cause that's the why.

Hand-holding-up-yellow-card-small-200x300.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

You can't have an opinion in the minority these days.

When facebook spread to the developing world it gave them a voice, it changed the world.

Boards should be like that, instead opinions are shot down.

Take for example a gay marriage debate. If I was to say I hate gays and it's disgusting I'd probably get infracted but if that's someones opinion it's their opinion. Therefore the true spread of opinions are not shown, only the opinions that are deemed to be ok.

And the sarcastic replies in this thread is boards in a nutshell.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For the love of all that is good, please stop. Please.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Should the opinion that a boardsie is a pedophile be allowed to be published? Nope, it shouldn't. There is no such thing as free speech. Minority opinion has little to do with it. 86% of this country identifies as Catholic. Yet, there's a strong anti Catholic sentiment. Because of current civil laws homophobia is given a good deal more rope than racism. But yes if you expressed a hatred of gays you'd be infracted. Worth pointing out that you can argue for or against gay marriage without expressing hatred of either side. It's called civil constructive discussion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gits_bone wrote: »
    If I was to say I hate gays and it's disgusting I'd probably get infracted but if that's someones opinion it's their opinion.

It's nothing to do with the opinion, it's the manner in which it's conveyed that would earn the infraction. Replace the word gays with redheads or trainspotters and it's no less insulting to a different section of society. Expressing an opinion is all well and good, but we do expect that people do so in a constructive and non-offensive manner.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    You can't have an opinion in the minority these days.

Take for example a gay marriage debate. If I was to say I hate gays and it's disgusting I'd probably get infracted but if that's someones opinion it's their opinion. Therefore the true spread of opinions are not shown, only the opinions that are deemed to be ok.

Holy hijack Batman, way to derail my thread
    I'm on about the misdiagnosis of trolling by mods not the protection of less popular opinions.
    I'm pretty sure ionachat.ie isn't full of pro-choice atheist shinners.

Now back to matters at hand, a full & grovelling apology of every mod who has ever mistakenly called me a troll during a rabid infraction frenzy.
    Line up quick please, I'm sure you all need to get back to protecting your cliques & closing threads of contrary opinion.

• Advertisement

Now back to matters at hand, a full & grovelling apology of every mod who has ever mistakenly called me a troll during a rabid infraction frenzy.
    Line up quick please, I'm sure you all need to get back to protecting your cliques & closing threads of contrary opinion.
    Troll, again.
    Trolling: posting with the vindictive intent to antagonise fellow users

What do you do in work or at home when someone has a joke at your expense.
    You'll find yellow cards or thread closing don't work in the real world.
    Actually no, you should try to issue an infraction, bring up the charter then turn the smug up to 11 & talk in bold.
    Then they'll really look up to you, I promise.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

What do you do in work or at home when someone has a joke at your expense.
    You'll find yellow cards or thread closing don't work in the real world.
    Actually no, you should try to issue an infraction, bring up the charter then turn the smug up to 11 & talk in bold.
    Then they'll really look up to you, I promise.

Well to use the above example, walk into your office later today and tell them how you hate gay marriage and think that the whole gay thing is disgusting, but that it's okay because it's your opinion. I imagine that a trip to HR would be on the cards pretty quickly.

As has been mentioned already, having an opinion, even a negative one, does not warrant an automatic infraction - it's all down to how you present your argument. And the sad reality is that most of these arguments immediately spiral downwards into the usual bile, and nobody here should have to stand for it. It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

In the Christianity Forum saying you think being gay is wrong, and a lot worse would be fairly normal I'd think.

Often struck me that if it's under the umbrella of religious belief bigotry and prejudice gets a free pass.

Oh wait, this thread was a joke? ****, I missed that. Perhaps because it was started in Feedback...and you opened with a dig at moderators, all moderators.

Am I wrong?

I'll give you feedback if you want it.

Your system of policing is seriously flawed, the volunteer moderation system does not work, it only serves to create cliques & frustrate opposition posters.
    I have 1,000's of posts on F365, Reddit, Politics.ie, Peoples Republic of Cork & have never even seen or heard of an infraction.
    In this place you attempt to make a joke & the Stasi are in like a shot.
    Perhaps it's easier to call everyone a troll when you have zero ability in your job.

C'mon now, surely I'm overdue my 20th yellow card, 15th infraction, 5th banning, 6th re-reg, cause this system really works.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

17 years.

Your system of policing is seriously flawed, the volunteer moderation system does not work, it only serves to create cliques & frustrate opposition posters.
    I have 1,000's of posts on F365, Reddit, Politics.ie, Peoples Republic of Cork & have never even seen or heard of an infraction.
    Perhaps it's easier to call everyone a troll when you have zero ability in your job.

C'mon now, surely I'm overdue my 20th yellow card, 15th infraction, 5th banning, 6th re-reg, cause this system really works.

Note of clarification. I had just deleted my post above before I saw it quoted in this post. I re-thought my post and decided that I didn't want to further fuel a seemingly pointless discussion. However, in the meantime Shiraz had quoted my post.

An File wrote: »
    17 years.

A rather arbitrary figure don't you think, I'll need to see some workings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Boards are making a loss (so I believe) so will have to try and think of a way to keep posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seems other sites are for you then, big deal. You have the freedom to choose what you like, nobody forces anybody to like or stay on the site.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement