Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed changes to site look

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

1. I think conversations and social interaction evolve on boards.ie because posts move on from the original topic. If a move was made to threaded sytle "comments" after an initial post (ala reddit) I think boards would lose one of its best selling points. In my opinion it would become much of a "journal.ie" type thing where one person posts a big opinion piece and everyone else gives a short one or two line agree/disagree comment. The threading of the "comments" would, in my opinion, stifle the conversation and reduce social interaction.

2. I use the navigation bar at the top a lot. Removing it would slow down my navigation through the site and probably reduce the number of fora I visit.

3. As everyone else said - date and time on the posts is essential. Even more essential if you go down the "threddit" route. (See what I did there! ;) )

4. I think I slightly prefer version 2 - I'd like if the "forum name" and "poster name" positions were swapped on the cover page.

5. Will the box on the right hand side be a big space waster in the long run? About 20% of my screen space is currently underused on boards because of the gap under the posters name (only when posts are long ones obviously). If a further 20-25% is taken off the right hand side it just means more scrolling.

6. I like the snappy short break between posts. It's tidy. How will signatures show up? Or can we ditch them altogether???!!! (Pretty please)

Hope that's of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

For someone who looks at a computer screen all day, everyday, must come in black!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Don't like hiding the categories away, I think it will make it more difficult for new uses to navigate the site. I like having them at the top of the page and it would be more user friendly to keep them there, especially for new users (granted categories like Rec and Soc might not immediately make sense to new users but seeing cats like Region, Edu, Science, Sports along with all the others at the top would surely give new users a basic idea of how the site is laid out?)

Hate the idea of the OP at the top, will be a nightmare in any thread where the OP is even moderately long.

Think you'll be doing mods a disservice hiding away the join date and user stats, it comes in handy very often. Might also be useful for new users to see that their responses are coming from established users.

The idea of keeping stickies etc at the side is good practice for new users but for those familiar with a forum, seems a bit redundant.

Sorry for the negativity but it's nearly always easier to point out what you don't like rather than what you do :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Regarding the hiding of the categories, I'm going to hold my opinion until I see what type of awesome drop-down we get when we click it.

We all know the categories are due a refresh, maybe it's time to think outside the box.

Also, not enough people use the excellent search box at the top of the page which does a fantastic job of matching a poster's subject matter with a relevant forum via simple keyword entry. This needs to be promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Version 2 would certainly be my preference.

As per others posts, I too would like to see a dark theme, white is harsh on the eyes after a day at a computer screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

After reading this thread, I am now a convert to the dark theme. Can't believe it took me so long! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

If it must be changed, the I vote for version 2 but I would prefer if it were to be left as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I know version 2 is cleaner but I find it harder to read because of lack of contrast. I think I'd prefer the darker blue of version 1 with the paler blue of the tabs to make them stand out. My eyesight isn't the best :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dades wrote: »
    Regarding the hiding of the categories, I'm going to hold my opinion until I see what type of awesome drop-down we get when we click it.

We all know the categories are due a refresh, maybe it's time to think outside the box.

Also, not enough people use the excellent search box at the top of the page which does a fantastic job of matching a poster's subject matter with a relevant forum via simple keyword entry. This needs to be promoted.

There's so many categories, forums and sub forums, it just doesn't seem to fit with the way things are designed anymore!

The search box is the way to go but it's hard to teach old dogs like me new tricks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I always use the search box!
    My brain gets too tired figuring out if something is Rec or Soc or in a sub-forum, plus I'm pretty impatient. :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Yeah I use the drop down menu a lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I haven't used the dropdown since the new search box arrived. So much handier to use that to find a specific forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oh please please don't do threaded views! And "newest first" is completely un-necessary if you have a jump to last post button so I'm not sure why you'd want it?

This feels like a weird cross between reddit, facebook and rollercoaster.ie allof whom piss me off no end to browse on! If you have to chose one then 2 is better but whatever you do please don't make the newest first the default because it drives me batty on another site and I stopped browsing it coz it kept forgetting me resetting to oldest first.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Oh please please don't do threaded views! And "newest first" is completely un-necessary if you have a jump to last post button so I'm not sure why you'd want it?

This feels like a weird cross between reddit, facebook and rollercoaster.ie allof whom piss me off no end to browse on! If you have to chose one then 2 is better but whatever you do please don't make the newest first the default because it drives me batty on another site and I stopped browsing it coz it kept forgetting me resetting to oldest first.

Threaded view as default isn't on the table and I believe they've said newest first won't be default either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have to admit, I came in here to take a look at the new styles, and am now very paranoid! The first thoughts that went through my head were

"Hey, that's my name in those new designs!"
    "Oh cool, they gave me a new avatar!"
    "Hey wait, how do they know I have a big nose?"

Very paranoid indeed.

I'd go with the second one anyway, but then you guys probably already knew that. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

What's the actual need for a new style? I think at last boards has actually got a very good default theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm on old school - it I die (or it dies).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

laugh wrote: »
    For someone who looks at a computer screen all day, everyday, must come in black!

Definitely. Ive been using the black theme for years. Far easier on the eye.

I can't really judge the new changes till I tried them out. I'm a fan of the reddit layout, it's great being able to customise the top bar of reddit with all your favourite subs. It's a bit like having your bookmarks toolbar on your browser.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I don't mind about category and lay out. An admirable attempt to make the place more navigable. But the search functions are still in need of a major overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

Joya wrote: »
    possibly, i sent some msi file for testing but not sure anyone is there at this stage lol :d

btw could you do something on UI for the pages, so that the profile image with user name and indicator of new posts in followed topics be brought to screen always even if you resize the browser to say, half of the screen (e.g. for that part to dynamically is brought back underneath the boards.ie logo and search box) :)

edit:
    and also to remove or put above this "announcement box on the right that takes so much of the screen width (and again - pushes the button with new posts indicator to the right - the thing that is really important to user :-D

just a thought!

my post from other thread and shimi said to post it here, i reaaallllyyy hope you will consider the issue with the profile picture plus name plus new posts indicator - thanks a mil!!

Attached Image

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all, I wanted to give this a bump to show you some of the work in progress on the new menu we're planning on using.

352496.jpg

So you can see that there's the headings across the top as normal, then when you hover (or tap on a touch screen) you get the sub-headings on the left hand side and the contents on the rest of the menu. It's big, yes, but if you're looking to use the menu, then the chances are you're not looking at the content on the screen at the same time :) I'm running a 1920X1080 screen resolution for reference.

Here is the same screen on a 1024 X 768 resolution - the res of an older model iPad and still one of the more popular web browsing devices out there. It shows off how the site shrinks though as the screen resolution gets smaller.

352499.jpg

[edit]
    Ignore those +'s after every forum, it was something Jason was working on that he's removed as I was taking the screenshot.

And finally, a mobile screen. You can see there's a significant change and we've replaced the headings with the "hamburger" (=) button. You tap on each heading to roll out the sub-headings/forums and you tap the level above to roll them back a level.

352500.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Dav wrote: »
    Hello all, I wanted to give this a bump to show you some of the work in progress on the new menu we're planning on using.

352496.jpg

So you can see that there's the headings across the top as normal, then when you hover (or tap on a touch screen) you get the sub-headings on the left hand side and the contents on the rest of the menu. It's big, yes, but if you're looking to use the menu, then the chances are you're not looking at the content on the screen at the same time :) I'm running a 1920X1080 screen resolution for reference.

That's a really nice design. I really like it.

Can I ask though, why move Regional to the top bar as opposed to something like Rec which would (I assume not knowing the figures) have higher traffic?

I dunno, to me it just seems a bit out of place with the others that are there.

Oh, and please, please help my OCD by moving the "Boards.ie" tab before the "Talk To..." tab... that's been irking me since that tab was implemented. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

352496.jpg

I really like that actually, great work. One thing that immediately springs to mind though, would it be possible to better highlight which exact subheading is currently expanded? For instance, in this pic, have it so that only Rec & Hobbies shows up in white, & the other categories/sub-headings are greyed out unless you hover over them (which means only one can be white at any given time)? I see the little red marker, but purely going by the picture, it's not the clearest way to indicate whatever is expanded...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Nice work. Couple of points:
    • The black looks very out of place. Is that the standard skin? What's wrong with the classic Boards blue?
    • What's with all the '+'s on the 1024 image? Only some of those forums have further sub-forums. And why aren't there '+'s on the 1920 image? How do you access, for example, "Home Brewing" in "Beer & Wine & Spirits", or even know it's there?
    • On the desktop, do you click or hover on the left-hand Categories? If it's hover, it's going to be very annoying trying to move a mouse from left-hand side to the contents without hovering on anything else

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Regional forums are different in a sense though - the discussion centres around a geographical area rather than a topic. So whilst the Home & Garden section might be where we'd talk about wanting some DIY work done, the Dublin City forum is where I'd go if I wanted to get recommendations for a plumber in my locality for example.

The "current" subheading can and probably should get some more definitive highlighting alright - as you said Myridin, the little red line is there for this purpose, but it's maybe a bit too subtle and there's definitely scope to make it more immediately obvious.

We're also thinking about bullet pointing the items on the left to make them more distinct as some of them wrap onto a second line.

Regional forums are different in a sense though - the discussion centres around a geographical area rather than a topic. So whilst the Home & Garden section might be where we'd talk about wanting some DIY work done, the Dublin City forum is where I'd go if I wanted to get recommendations for a plumber in my locality for example.

Ah, I get you. Perfectly reasonable way to look at it. Shame my brain isn't reasonable at times. :P

Bullet points would be a good idea too btw.

Cheers Dav, great work. :)

28064212 wrote: »
    Nice work. Couple of points:
    • The black looks very out of place. Is that the standard skin? What's wrong with the classic Boards blue?
    • What's with all the '+'s on the 1024 image? Only some of those forums have further sub-forums. And why aren't there '+'s on the 1920 image? How do you access, for example, "Home Brewing" in "Beer & Wine & Spirits", or even know it's there?
    • On the desktop, do you click or hover on the left-hand Categories? If it's hover, it's going to be very annoying trying to move a mouse from left-hand side to the contents without hovering on anything else
    • It's just work in progress at the moment, we'll get a more appropriate colour palette applied in due course :)
    • I edited in a comment about about the +'s - they were just something Jason was testing as I took the screen shot and they're gone again.
    • It's based on a hover - I don't think it's any more or less difficult to use than any other menu, but it's something we'll keep an eye on - it could be that a click is a better option to "lock" in that selection on the left, but I'd personally feel that it's a little bit unintuitive that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

28064212 wrote: »
    [*]On the desktop, do you click or hover on the left-hand Categories? If it's hover, it's going to be very annoying trying to move a mouse from left-hand side to the contents without hovering on anything else[/list]
    Half the furor over the current menu was people freaking out over having to click to open up sub categories. I think people will want this to hover-open, no matter what. It should be possible to introduce a tiny delay which might make it easier.

Dav, is the "burger" icon to open topics still on the cards (as per the original screens)?

In the above example - are the Arts sub categories expanded by default and the user moves left to expand any other category?

I believe that however you open the categories menu, the main categories must expand directly beneath that button/link. That might involve shifting whatever opens those categories to one side, which would also be a good thing as having "Topics" in the center top is just plain odd.

Like the general proposal though, other than that! :)

Advertisement