Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretches of road you have an irrational hatred of?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Can't stand Nutgrove Avenue, but can't really avoid it on the commute to UCD. On the way there it's either use the crappy bike lane with a kerb or avoid the massive cracks in the road by cycling down the middle, and it's pretty much the same on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Beasty wrote: »
    Like the sound of that one!! ...
    Yes, that road has your name on it :pac:
    Beasty wrote: »
    ... For some reason the dual carriageway just outside Warrenpoiint on the way to Newry comes tio mind when seeing this thread. Can't for the life of me think why as I've abvsolutely no recollection of any incident there.....
    Was that the site of your last amnesia-inducing mishap? Blech! Hope you've fully recovered now (or do so soon)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was that the site of your last amnesia-inducing mishap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Never really had one until the An Post Rebel tour. The run back into Glengariff after the Healy Pass. I kind of thought I'd done the climbing but then realised this loooonnnggggg drag was there still to be done.

I really disliked it - a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Never really had one until the An Post Rebel tour. The run back into Glengariff after the Healy Pass. I kind of thought I'd done the climbing but then realised this loooonnnggggg drag was there still to be done.

I really disliked it - a lot.

Doesn't count. Disliking that stretch is entirely rational

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

Any roads with ramps hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mellow Yellow 444

Can't stand Nutgrove Avenue, but can't really avoid it on the commute to UCD. On the way there it's either use the crappy bike lane with a kerb or avoid the massive cracks in the road by cycling down the middle, and it's pretty much the same on the way home

I agree totally, I rarely cycle it but its a right sh*t of a road

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

I agree totally, I rarely cycle it but its a right sh*t of a road

It is indeed, unfortunately it's the fastest and most convenient route for me. Oh, and afterward I get over the ordeal of that I get to hold my breath down the length of Dundrum road. Still, it's a nice feeling overtaking about 40 cars

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Sandwell

The N2/Finglas road from the M50 as far as Glasnevin cemetery. The road surface is poor and the traffic tends to travel very fast. The presence of a bike lane that dips in and out of the footpath leads to some drivers getting frustrated and driving aggressively when they see cyclists using the bus lane. I've had some very close shaves on this stretch. On the way out it's a long drag uphill, broken up by numerous traffic lights while on the way home you pick up quite a bit of speed on the stretch between Finglas village and the Tolka but the rutted surface and the constant threat of being swept out of the way by a speeding taxi make this section extremely stressful. I absolutely hate it but living in Phibsboro it's my main access route to NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

The road from Birr To Borrisakane is the most boring road I've come across, nothing but bend after bend after bend, so hard to stay fully alert on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭irishrover99

the end of the featherbeds road going towards laragh. just as you get to where the house is on the right hand side after the small descent. the road seems to get very slow. there is no real incline and that stretch always seems so slow no matter what way the wind is blowing. its like my legs just die and the road is sucking me in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Basically the entire athlone to mullingar road! And that hill in Ballymore... level it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The N2 - Balrath to Finglas/Finglas to Balrath - long, straight, flat and boring especially with a headwind.

Have you tried cutting in after the Ashbourne roundabout to Curragha >Tayto Park>Rathfeigh>Balrath woods, much quieter and mostly reasonable (for Meath) road.

My bugbear is the road surface of the main drag in Ashbourne, smooth as a teenagers face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Isn't there usually an mannequin half way a long it? That freaks me out.

There is in Annamoe. It's on the left hand side as you come over the bridge at the trout farm and start the little climb. It's a strange antiques/clothes shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Sandwell wrote: »
    The N2/Finglas road from the M50 as far as Glasnevin cemetery. The road surface is poor and the traffic tends to travel very fast. The presence of a bike lane that dips in and out of the footpath leads to some drivers getting frustrated and driving aggressively when they see cyclists using the bus lane. I've had some very close shaves on this stretch. On the way out it's a long drag uphill, broken up by numerous traffic lights while on the way home you pick up quite a bit of speed on the stretch between Finglas village and the Tolka but the rutted surface and the constant threat of being swept out of the way by a speeding taxi make this section extremely stressful. I absolutely hate it but living in Phibsboro it's my main access route to NCD.

http://goo.gl/maps/hKXbg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Never mind the section opposite Blackrock College...
    I need a sign with a big red left-directed arrow and "Crap Surface (That's why I'm not in the bloody 'cycle lane')" to pop up behind my back as I pass this

Sorry :o

I go through the park for that section, I presume it's the car transporters loading/unloading on a stretch of road with no underpinning, but that section is lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Worst bit of road- the road to work. Paradoxically its also the best... On the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

With all the known black-spots that come up on treads such as this, I am just wondering if anybody has contacted the relevant councils. I never have, but I had a mind to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

With all the known black-spots that come up on treads such as this, I am just wondering if anybody has contacted the relevant councils. I never have, but I had a mind to.

That's an interesting point..There is a website that you can report sections (I did it last year concerning a stretch near Laragh that had been dug up and badly repaired after telecommunication lines of some type were laid-they repaired it a few weeks later)

However, the Rock road has come in for a few notable mentions here but it seems that the works that are currently being carried out seem to be to jazz up the road furniture around the lights by the Frascati-pure wasre of money as there was nothing wrong with the layout that was there...Meanwhile the road on either side is in rag order-I hate to say it but it is a bad accident waiting to happen

Local government and councils in this country make my blood boil-pi$$ing money away:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Just did it. Rock road named and shamed to DLRCoco. I have full confidence that this will be remedied immediately. My property tax will work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

There's an app for that

http://fixmyarea.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

There's an app for that

http://fixmyarea.com/

That's the one!

Advertisement