Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretches of road you have an irrational hatred of?

Options
  • 21-09-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Or only semi rational.

For me the road from Roundwood to Long Hill across Calary bog in Wicklow. I think it's a combination of poor road surface, predominately up hill but fragmented and undulating rather than a drag, not that scenic, short sharp descent at the end which is too straight and step for me to enjoy. From Roundwood or Laragh I'd rather cycle home over the Sally Gap even though it must be harder. The other road across Calary is a bit better but fairly busy.

So is there any stretch of road you hate for no obvious reason?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I thoroughly despise the Duncannon line in Wexford, although that's entirely rational, nobody likes it. Very narrow and speeding motorists are very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a hatred of so many stretches of road, most of them uphill, that it's a wonder, I get out on the bike, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

I thoroughly despise the Duncannon line in Wexford, although that's entirely rational, nobody likes it. Very narrow and speeding motorists are very common.

I agree and i think the problem with it is that, although narrow, it is very straight for the most part and cars simply go too fast on it. Accidents are frequent enough on it too. Although living in the area I try to avoid it, except for crossing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The N2 - Balrath to Finglas/Finglas to Balrath - long, straight, flat and boring especially with a headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The last 10km home of any hard cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The carrigrohane straight in Cork city well the last Km as you approach the anglers rest, it's dead flat and you can really motor along it but the quality of the surface is atrocious, the arenburg of Cork. It.s on a very busy stretch of road so there are cars flying by you anyway which adds to the danger. I don't know how no one has been hurt and it's come to the point now where I simply avoid it just to avoid being hurt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Wow, two most hateds of mine already mentioned. I mostly choose Glenmacnass over Roundwood coming from Laragh, and coming from Duncannon to Dublin, I usually take the right at the Hollow pub and head Gusserane direction. I also prefer arriving to Rathfarnham from Sallygap direction rather than Enniskerry, which is I find as dull as dishwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

The road from Newcastle to Rathnew in Wicklow is literally a pain in the posterior. The surface is a bone shaker, but there's a kilometer or so of nice smooth tarmac going through Blackditch just to remind you what you are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Stretch from Anamoe to Roundwood and secondly Laragh to Rathdrum jez it's pure ****e . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

R132 past Blake's cross north bound. Hate it. I'd rather do a detour twice as long on mucky country lanes coming home than use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

A lot of the roads I did today. So bad, a gel bit on one of my gloves burst. I'm not faring too well either :(

I don't understand why we use so many different types of road surfaces/tar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Tallaght Bypass (N81) from the Spawell to the Jobstown Inn. Traffic lights, traffic, headwinds and slow drags. I hate it but I do it almost every spin. 8km of torture but once I get past it I'm happy out. The N81 from Brittas to Blessington (both ways) is another boring road but thankfully there are plenty of other options in that area.

Another road I despise is the road from Enniskerry up by The Scalp, Kilternan, etc. Draggy, crappy, boring.

The road from Naas to Kill which is relatively new and runs parallel with the N7 is, to say the least, unspectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A lot of the roads I did today.

What are these roads do you speak of? I don't see today's spin on Strava :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

The 4km or so stretch from back of shankill to kilternan- steady uphill and almost always a headwind..also any part of the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

crosstownk wrote: »
    What are these roads do you speak of? I don't see today's spin on Strava :D

It's not up on Strava, just yet :)

Apparently you have 24 hours to do a Gran Fondo, so 5am rise for me in the morning :(

I went for the whole it is "easier to seek forgiveness than permission" thing btw :) 3pm Start but I did my best! :D

That aside...an example of a badly laid road would be from Blessington into Naas, on the Naas side. It's like there was a good road and someone tarmaced over it with flakey tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

The road between Riverstick and Belgooly on the main Cork-Kinsale road. Very busy road with a few tight bends, hidden dips, and a lot of impatient drivers.

Actually, that's not illogical at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Not a stretch, just the junction coming from Brunswick Street on to Stoneybatter, Arbour Hill and Blackhall Place. One of the most frustrating streets to turn on to or cross.

Then the crossover from Clontarf Road to the cycle path, and further on, getting back to the road, then getting back to the cycle path.

And finally the kissing gates along the canals.

Apart from that, it's usually a hill I've decided to climb, and therefore my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

colm18 wrote:
    The 4km or so stretch from back of shankill to kilternan- steady uphill and almost always a headwind..also any part of the N11.

Ballychorus road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

does cycle lane/roadway count? sutton to clontarf cycleway I despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

neris wrote: »

In theory hating a cycle path is particularly irrational so yeah...

Of course in practice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

The Tallaght Bypass (N81) from the Spawell to the Jobstown Inn. Traffic lights, traffic, headwinds and slow drags. I hate it but I do it almost every spin. 8km of torture but once I get past it I'm happy out. The N81 from Brittas to Blessington (both ways) is another boring road but thankfully there are plenty of other options in that area.

Have you considered this
    Another road I despise is the road from Enniskerry up by The Scalp, Kilternan, etc. Draggy, crappy, boring.

Totally irrational ('cause I love that stretch)

At least the bit on the lower road from Enniskerry as far as the petrol station. Smooth, constant slope, serpentine bends, Deciduous trees whats not to like? Generally it's the last hill on the way home for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

http://www.strava.com/segments/4586187

I hate this. It's a handy climb with a nice view out over Kenmare Bay - but I have always hated and suffered on this climb. I mean it's a piece of pish - but I have a hang up about it. I usually do it on the way to the Healy Pass which is longer and steeper - but I always enjoy the Healy Pass even when pushing hard on it. This one I hate - even when saving myself for a push on the Healy I always seem to go into the red very easily here.
    Doesn't help that the road from Kenmare out to the base of the climb is horrible.

Oh, and I also hate it the other way too.
    I would rather go up Stocking Lane or Three Rock anyway of the week before going up Carriganain.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Pinnock hill in Swords heading south. Normally it's at the end of a hard spin for me, I hate it with a passion. As for hills has to be Ardcath, used in McNally Swords Club League. Never do well on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

The N52, Mullingar to Dundalk road! Aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

I've many, but these particular three always come to mind:

Having to cycle up the Knocklyon Road in the Southerly direction. Uphill, too narrow, in poor condition and too many ramps. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2900164,-6.3110463,3a,75y,181.95h,77.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4IpJntLTaY7DeLflrFYEmA!2e0

The Ballycullen Road from the Firhouse Road direction eg. from the junction next to Morton's. Takes too much energy to run / cycle up despite it being in pretty decent condition in comparison to the Knocklyon Road.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2864917,-6.331164,3a,75y,166.82h,86.71t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ss9eOju_qQHw5ObxXp2qYKQ!2e0

Last but not least - this particular little stretch when cycling from SG direction. Always run out of energy on this spot. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1996739,-6.2959882,1408m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Another road I despise is the road from Enniskerry up by The Scalp, Kilternan, etc. Draggy, crappy, boring....
    That's a grand stretch of road. The Scalp especially could hardly be described as boring? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

OldBean wrote: »

Then the crossover from Clontarf Road to the cycle path, and further on, getting back to the road, then getting back to the cycle path.

Really hard to cross, there's road bike sized rutting on the route, every time you're on it you just think who the feck designed this? Then you've got the bins on the actual cycle lane further up, the steps cut into it...
    neris wrote: »

Apart from the inconvenient break mentioned above this has to be the nicest cycle in Dublin, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

colm18 wrote: »
    also any part of the N11.

Totally agree, especially the suburban sections - however, I particularly dislike the South to North section through the Glen of the Downs.

I also dislike any section of road that WW county council have recently resurfaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I always hated the N2 between Carrick and Blayney as the road surface was terrible, in fact most of the N2 between Ardee and Monaghan Town was woeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Brennanstown rd from Cabinteely towards Foxrock in Dublin.

The uphill section is steep, extremely narrow and dark.

The council recently did a full sweep to fix the terrible surface and the water drainage problem, so one point back there.

There is a section of it which becomes a small stream after a decent dose of rain.

Advertisement