Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretches of road you have an irrational hatred of?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Military road from Glencree towards the top of stocking lane, always the last big kicker on a long day, I don't think I've ever been in a good mood doing this stretch despite much to look forward to on the other side... also hate any cycle that involves crossing the city centre, can't stand all the stop starting...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Whoops sorry I see thread title is "irrational hatred", didn't spot that. I think a lot of comments in here are based on rational hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

mrcheez wrote: »
    Whoops sorry I see thread title is "irrational hatred", didn't spot that. I think a lot of comments in here are based on rational hatred.
    Yep I wish people would stop spamming this thread with good reasons for hating a stretch of road.:) Unless someone else likes your stretch of road it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

daragh_ wrote: »
    Funny how many of my favourite bits of road are popping up here. I always enjoy the stretch from Roundwood to Old Long Hill and Ballychorus is an excellent drag for getting the blood flowing.

I tend to avoid sharp descents unless I can get a good sense of the road ahead. Coming down at Bohernabreena always gives me the fear - I would climb it 3 times rather than go down it once.

Noted - you're on the front for that one so! Could you stretch that to Annamoe to Old Long Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Gasco wrote: »
    Totally agree, especially the suburban sections - however, I particularly dislike the South to North section through the Glen of the Downs.

I also dislike any section of road that WW county council have recently resurfaced.
    The top section of Kilgarron Hill above Eniskerry is a nightmare to descend with the loose chippings - put on a couple of years ago(?) and still there - I start to go into a trance from the vibration on descent, seriously expect to lose consciousness :eek:. In contrast, the steepest bit at the village end was tarmacced like glass.

Now they've (OK, maybe Dun Laoghaire Rathdown...gotta save money to pay for the library overspend :rolleyes:) done the loose chipping thing to the bottom of Ballybetagh Road into Kilternan :mad:

Oh, and all the roads that haven't been resurfaced, but should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I always hated the N2 between Carrick and Blayney..l
    That horrible long dead straight north of Carrick - can be soul destroying.
    detones wrote: »
    R132 past Blake's cross north bound. Hate it...
    The strange thing about that stretch for me is that I don't mind doing it southbound even though it usually into a headwind. Hate it northbound.
    Turvey Avenue eastbound is usually my home leg. Grown to hate it, dunno why. Its not even difficult.

Even after a shorter spin, I can often be seen "warming down" on this section.
    I do that several times weekly on the commute (usually around 7am ;)).

Another one which comes to mind is the N56 in Co Donegal between Kilmacrennan and Letterkenny - the bit between Illistrin and the Mountain Top just seems to go on forever compounded by constant close passing traffic.

ckeego wrote: »
    ... The Rock road.. Full of patchwork BS repairs, sunken drains in the cycle paths on both sides-if I didn't know better, it looks as if the Artillery had a range practice on it.. Very difficult to understand how the authorities wish to embrace cycling when you see a road like that. ...
    daragh_ wrote: »
    I've got all the potholes on the Rock Road memorised.

The thing to do is stay in the middle to right of the bus lane after Merrion Gates until lights at the Trimleston Ave junction.

That way you control the lane and prevent yourself getting pushed into the worst of the holes.
    Never mind the section opposite Blackrock College...
    I need a sign with a big red left-directed arrow and "Crap Surface (That's why I'm not in the bloody 'cycle lane')" to pop up behind my back as I pass this

Yep I wish people would stop spamming this thread with good reasons for hating a stretch of road.smile.png Unless someone else likes your stretch of road it doesn't count.
    Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

By contrast my commute home from Merrion Square to Dundrum:

baggot st-Fitzwilliam square-canal-ranelagh-Clonskeagh-Rat run through larchfield&rosemount to Taney Road which elimates the hill on Taney Road - home.

Not a hill on it, decent cycle lanes most of the way and a cycle so pleasant I enjoy it even in the pouring rain. Plus on top of all that I am on my way home from work and if i am in the mood i pass a nice off licence which stocks my favorite beers :)

My entirely rational hated route (but irrationally I still cycle it on occassion):

Enniskerry - Sally Gap via the "roundwood scenic route". You have a wall of a hill near ballinastoe cycle track, but it is short so doable. Problem is that it saps your energy for the climb up towards sally gap past the lake. Last time I gave up and walked up that hill.

I love that route in the other direction though - beautiful. I never cycle it without getting off my bike to enjoy the views.

The really irrational element in this thread: All the routes people complain about are routes that they cycle despite their hatred.

Oh, and all the roads that haven't been resurfaced, but should be

Actually i hate that bit from the top of stocking lane/cruagh hill down towards the woods before you come to turn off for enniskerry. Should be a lovely gentle descent in the mountains after having earned it by climbing up. Instead the surface is so poor it is a juddering chore that you just want to get over with to get back on a smooth road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Fian wrote: »
    The really irrational element in this thread: All the routes people complain about are routes that they cycle despite their hatred.

They probably cycle them out of necessity as they are the most direct route to where they need to go. In my case all alternatives are just as bad or worse, plus would add 10-20 minutes to my journey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Actually i hate that bit from the top of stocking lane/cruagh hill down towards the woods before you come to turn off for enniskerry. Should be a lovely gentle descent in the mountains after having earned it by climbing up. Instead the surface is so poor it is a juddering chore that you just want to get over with to get back on a smooth road.

Wow, if you're talking about this stretch that's typically my last little treat on the way home after dragging my ass through the hills all day, and I tend to go full tilt* down it.

(* my version of full tilt may be closer to 3/4 tilt for many others on here, typically ~60kph on that bit)

smacl wrote: »
    Wow, if you're talking about this stretch that's typically my last little treat on the way home after dragging my ass through the hills all day, and I tend to go full tilt* down it.

(* my version of full tilt may be closer to 3/4 tilt for many others on here, typically ~60kph on that bit)

I mean this bit - hope this works:

http://goo.gl/maps/OJa0Z

Should be loverly but the surface wrecks it.

We have very low levels of expectation in this country at this stage. A friend of mine with an American wife claims that the concept of a good and bad road didn't really register with her at first. As in its 12 miles from X to Y on that road but it's a terrible road so you are better going through Z even though its 18 miles from X to Y via Z. Roads in the US have a certain minimum standard in terms of surface and design. Not necessarily a great place for cyclists though.

Similarly for cyclists roads usually have **** surfaces, too much traffic or badly designed cycle lanes (0ften shared with dog walks and the like). I had a strange experience in Oostend, cycling into the city along a cycle path. I was enjoying being on a segregated path away from traffic but I was mentally preparing myself for some terrible integration at a junction or the path petering out cause that's what I'm used to. Never happened, it got me exactly where I wanted to go without any design faults. Basically you can never relax on a cycle path in Dublin (unless perhaps you know it well). I think the best place for cycling in Dublin(Ireland?) is the Dublin side of the feather beds, smooth road, great view, low traffic, most cars also on leisure trips so not impatient. Practically every where else is either heavy traffic or terrible surface or both. I seriously don't think there's anywhere within about 30 km of Galway which isn't either really bad surface or heavy traffic or both. Maybe the old main road to Dublin, but that's still heavy enough.

Oh yeah, any decent off road cycle paths are spotlit by kissing gates or something.

Ireland just isn't a great place to cycle in terms of facilities and infrastructure (yet). Doesn't mean we can't still enjoy it. I'm reminded of people making the best of a bad lot like some Italian surfer dudes I saw in the Mediterranean. But they'll never be decent waves in the Bay of Naples. We have the potential to improve our cycling infrastructure and too make all 'I hate that stretch' tirades irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I seriously don't think there's anywhere within about 30 km of Galway which isn't either really bad surface or heavy traffic or both. Maybe the old main road to Dublin, but that's still heavy enough.

There are a few roads - Moycullen-Spiddal road has a half-decent surface and is relatively quiet. Rahoon Road and its extension beyond Barna Golf Course is also very quiet and has an excellent surface as far as the new windmills at Lettergunnet. The coast road out to Spiddal and Carraroe is a good surface, but is far too busy to be safe for cyclists, except early in the morning or in the late evening. I have a rational hatred for the coast road!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I mean this bit - hope this works:

http://goo.gl/maps/OJa0Z

Should be loverly but the surface wrecks it.

Yep, you know exactly when you leave Dublin and enter Wicklow there ok. I actually like it as a descent, but amn't so fond of it coming home where it is usually my last climb of the day. Interesting that the road outside the hippy cafe in Laragh has been resurfaced with decent tarmac, which may mean that Wicklow Co Co are finally ditching the loose chippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I wonder are our County Council's and politicians looking at this ?! <get the finger out>

3 stretches spring to mind:
    1. Fermoy to Lismore R666 !!!! beastly.....
    2. On the SKT, back road from Carrick to Clonmel, bone shattering.....
    3. That climb (Coolfree) & descent in the Charleville 2 day, soul destroying.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I don't know why. I should like it but I don't. I hate it. The road out of Roundwood through Annamoe and into Laragh. I should like it as coming from Roundwood bar a sharp incline at the trout farm it's a downhill run and you can carry a good avg on it. I have family that live in Annamoe and so cycle the road regularly. It just annoys the s**t out of me though. I hate it!

I wonder are our County Council's and politicians looking at this ?! <get the finger out>

Speaking of irrational hatred....

Seriously is that its number?

There's actually, some reason for optimism on the county councilor front. While you still get quite a bit of them opposing cycling infrastructure ('cause it's seen as a zero sum game with motorists)
    e.g. http://connachttribune.ie/anger-over-bike-scheme-docking-station-177

At the last locals in Dublin quite a lot of candidates were photographed with Dublin bikes.

I remember one Gombeen in Galway previously said Galway wasn't suited to cycling when he was Mayor and was later promising to introduce a Galway Bikes Scheme.

I don't know why. I should like it but I don't. I hate it. The road out of Roundwood through Annamoe and into Laragh. I should like it as coming from Roundwood bar a sharp incline at the trout farm it's a downhill run and you can carry a good avg on it. I have family that live in Annamoe and so cycle the road regularly. It just annoys the s**t out of me though. I hate it!

Isn't there usually an mannequin half way a long it? That freaks me out.

Definitely irrational, only valid complaint is there are sometimes coach on the way to Glendalough on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

look at the road surfaces down near jacky healy rae's home place. lovely, hardly a pothole to be seen. they can get it done when they want to..;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Firhouse Road, just a long horrible uphill drag which is into the wind 99% of the time - also completely unavoidable most of the time when I'm home because my mum's house is just off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Seriously is that its number?

Yep ;)

......and any road that leads North off it, is savage (ie. the gradient goes up at an alarming rate!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Firhouse Road, just a long horrible uphill drag which is into the wind 99% of the time - also completely unavoidable most of the time when I'm home because my mum's house is just off it.

Sure you can avoid that no bother. Just head south from Rathfarnham, up to Sally Gap, down towards Blessington and back northeast on Firhouse Road. That'll avoid the drag...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Good thread, very amusing.

My irrational hatreds are probably not quite irrational and are all associated with riding on tired legs towards the end of rides.

A few people have mentioned the Poggio which is a classic example of a climb that you only ever seem to do towards the end of a hard ride. Annamoe to Roundwood is a lot harder than it looks too, a classic false flat. Awful.

Another stretch I can't stand is the short drag from the petrol station up to the Kilternan ski place; it's only a couple of hundred metres but for some reason it's always horrible, even though really, it's a bit of nothing. But I always spend the 10k before it thinking 'ugh, I've still got that hump to get over'.

Top of the list though is having to get around the airport when coming back from Ballyboughal. Very exposed roads and you always get hit with a killer headwind for at last a section of it and all you want to do is get back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

smackyB wrote: »
    <rant>
    +1 for Rock Road, especially outside the Tara Towers hotel where the road narrows and becomes impassable in traffic. And as mentioned before, the surface is horrific with large puddles building up during persistent rain. My theory is that the stretch is on the border between DLRCC and Dub City council and neither side wants to be responsible for fixing it.

</rant>
    +1

+1
    Especially since it transitions from a lovely smooth section which (if I recall correctly(?)) is mostly uphill in that direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Road from finglas over to swords that goes past. St. Margarets and along by the back of the airport. Hate this road. No hard shoulder and extremely busy at times with fast impatient traffic.
    I ended up in the ditch along this stretch last year as a lorry overtook me a bit too closely. My own fault really as I was too close to the ditch to begin with. I try and avoid it now when possible but as I live in finglas there seems to no avoiding it completely.
    On the plus side most of it's got a great surface.

The last stretch up Killiney Hill from the Vico road/Bay side. A lot stepper than it looks. The last stretch up to Kiliney from Shankhill is probably steeper but I don't hate it because it looks really steep too. Appearances can be deceptive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Like the sound of that one!!

For some reason the dual carriageway just outside Warrenpoiint on the way to Newry comes tio mind when seeing this thread. Can't for the life of me think why as I've abvsolutely no recollection of any incident there.....

• Advertisement

2. On the SKT, back road from Carrick to Clonmel, bone shattering.....
    3. That climb (Coolfree) & descent in the Charleville 2 day, soul destroying.....
    ... Seriously is that its number? ...

Let him that hath understanding count the number... :eek:

:pac:

Advertisement