Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretches of road you have an irrational hatred of?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ROK ON wrote: »
    http://www.strava.com/segments/4586187

I hate this. It's a handy climb with a nice view out over Kenmare Bay - but I have always hated and suffered on this climb. I mean it's a piece of pish - but I have a hang up about it. I usually do it on the way to the Healy Pass which is longer and steeper - but I always enjoy the Healy Pass even when pushing hard on it. This one I hate - even when saving myself for a push on the Healy I always seem to go into the red very easily here.
    Doesn't help that the road from Kenmare out to the base of the climb is horrible.

Oh, and I also hate it the other way too.
    I would rather go up Stocking Lane or Three Rock anyway of the week before going up Carriganain.

know this one well, done it a couple of times recently, last one as part of the lost sheep HIM. absolutely hated it the first time i did it, actually didn't find it too bad the last time. i think it's the fact you know the real climb in healy is on the way and you just want to get this over but it goes on and on..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

a148pro wrote: »

Apart from the inconvenient break mentioned above this has to be the nicest cycle in Dublin, no?

I think any hatred of this stretch is completely rational. It's full of pedestrians, too narrow and dangerous.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

mossym wrote: »
    know this one well, done it a couple of times recently, last one as part of the lost sheep HIM. absolutely hated it the first time i did it, actually didn't find it too bad the last time. i think it's the fact you know the real climb in healy is on the way and you just want to get this over but it goes on and on..

I'm bewildered, it's one of my favourite stretches of road in country. The climb and the descent into Laragh

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Poggio- back into Enniskerry from Powerscourt. Hate it, loathe it, bilious contempt for it.
    Legs always jelly coming onto it. Usually trying to catch goat-like club mates while being chased by a white van.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The little road behind Marlay Park beside the M50 - no matter which way I am going there's a headwind.
    At the start or end of a cycle when I get on that road I feel like I'm cycling in sand - doesn't matter which direction. I hate it.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    I'm bewildered, it's one of my favourite stretches of road in country. The climb and the descent into Laragh

well the thread title does say irrational..:)

first time i did it this year was wet and misty, did the ROK on the saturday, a long run on the sunday, and the kenmare/healy/caha/kenmare loop on the monday, so heading up it legs were still cold and stiff and i hated it...

set the tone, although i did enjoy it last time out, it's a smashing descent though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

detones wrote: »
    R132 past Blake's cross north bound. Hate it. I'd rather do a detour twice as long on mucky country lanes coming home than use it.

Agreed but I use it a lot for longer intervals. It's quiet enough, flattish and there's nothing to interrupt your effort for 12k or so. I just about put up with the crappy surface and the complete lack of anything to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

greenmat wrote: »
    Pinnock hill in Swords heading south. Normally it's at the end of a hard spin for me, I hate it with a passion. As for hills has to be Ardcath, used in McNally Swords Club League. Never do well on it.

I always avoid Pinnock Hill by heading through Feltrim. And I am also useless on Ardcath - I am still in mourning for the loss of the Nag's Head to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The climb on the Old Military road between the Glencree junction and the featherbeds.
    http://www.strava.com/segments/7052767

2 km of draggy ****e that always looks like it's just about to end but is nothing but false flat after false flat. And always comes at the end of some long climby cycle so your legs are wrecked and it's the only thing between you and the lovely down-hill to home.

The poggio as already mentioned is also pretty annoying. Basically anything that is right at the end of the way home from a long day's climbing in Wicklow.

reading the thread, how the guys around dublin go cycling at all is beyond me, seems to be a huge number of roads people hate up there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

The road between Riverstick and Belgooly on the main Cork-Kinsale road. Very busy road with a few tight bends, hidden dips, and a lot of impatient drivers.

Actually, that's not illogical at all.

+ 1

A bloody nightmare, I avoid it at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

the last 1.5 km to stepaside village from enniskerry direction.. not a fan of the scalp road either.. they both look (and are) harmless enough but after 100km in your legs you could just do without them. not a fan of ballychorus road from shankhill direction for the same reasons..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I don't get this. So you don't like the hills that get you to and from the hills you like to cycle? :D

I live in Shankill so anything around Enniskerry/Stepaside/Ballycorus
    is my downhill freewheel home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Funny how many of my favourite bits of road are popping up here. I always enjoy the stretch from Roundwood to Old Long Hill and Ballychorus is an excellent drag for getting the blood flowing.

I tend to avoid sharp descents unless I can get a good sense of the road ahead. Coming down at Bohernabreena always gives me the fear - I would climb it 3 times rather than go down it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have you considered this

Totally irrational ('cause I love that stretch)

At least the bit on the lower road from Enniskerry as far as the petrol station. Smooth, constant slope, serpentine bends, Deciduous trees whats not to like? Generally it's the last hill on the way home for me too.

Firhouse road is much of a muchness although less traffic. I've often contemplated taking that option. I must give it a go.
    That's a grand stretch of road. The Scalp especially could hardly be described as boring? :confused:

From Enniskerry to the filling station is not too bad but after that I just don't like it yes, I agree, it's totally irrational. I can't explain it, tbh. On the other hand, I love going up the Embankment. I'm obviously a confused individual :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Dundrum Road!

And I cycle it every day.

The traffic is always at a standstill so I scoot up the inside. This leads to regular near misses and lucky escapes.

I'm not sure what else I can do, apart from slowing down (psychologically hard to do when you are commuting to work) or going out of my way to take an alternative route.

Hate this road! They need to make it one way and put in a proper bike lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Orwell Park Road and Highfield Road both in Rathgar, not irrational just terrible surface, shakes me to the bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Barton Road East in South Dublin approaching the roundabout behind Nutgrove. 99.9% of motorists turning left will overtake and pull in on top of you regardless of how you're indicating. 99.9% of motorists coming from Ballinteer won't see you on the roundabout either.

It's actually rational hatred now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

mickydcork wrote: »
    Dundrum Road!

And I cycle it every day.

The traffic is always at a standstill so I scoot up the inside. This leads to regular near misses and lucky escapes.

I'm not sure what else I can do, apart from slowing down (psychologically hard to do when you are commuting to work) or going out of my way to take an alternative route.

Hate this road! They need to make it one way and put in a proper bike lane.

Overtake on the outside. Less opportunity for near misses, just pedestrians leaping out or cars turning to try the other route...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

The climb to Luggala from the Roundwood road..Ball breaker, false flats and whilst it can be a gorgeous view down to the lake, you can see the pain coming in the climb to the Sally Gap.

The Rock road.. Full of patchwork BS repairs, sunken drains in the cycle paths on both sides-if I didn't know better, it looks as if the Artillery had a range practice on it.. Very difficult to understand how the authorities wish to embrace cycling when you see a road like that.

Plus one on the general comments on the Roundwood Kilmacanogue stretch- even if it's from the safety aspect.. A lot of cars drive it like it is Mondello-pity as it's a great surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭g0g

Lots of quite nice stretches popping up in this thread - weird!

My own one is from doing the odd Bray Wheelers event. They have this annoying habit of starting so many weekend cycles or events going down the N11 to Ashford before hitting "proper" (i.e. more quiet!) roads. That's alright to warm up on the way down, but having to face the N11 home to Bray isn't ideal. I particularly dislike the uphill stretch just after the M11 becomes the N11 near enough to that new Applegreen Station. Usually I'm wrecked by then and this hill doesn't help!

Also, as a driver I hate the M50/N4 interchange (esp the on-ramp to the N4 eastbound at Liffey Valley). I merge/cross parts of the road twice daily in the car and dread coming across cyclists on it, so I can imagine it's equally (if not more!) nerve-racking being on a bike along there! Way too much crossing of traffic over and back with multiple lanes and multiple speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

<rant>
    +1 for Rock Road, especially outside the Tara Towers hotel where the road narrows and becomes impassable in traffic. And as mentioned before, the surface is horrific with large puddles building up during persistent rain. My theory is that the stretch is on the border between DLRCC and Dub City council and neither side wants to be responsible for fixing it.

</rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I really like the route between Old Long Hill and Laragh. It is much quieter than the route through Roundwood, more interesting (climby, if that's a word), and more scenic.

The road that I just can't like is the one from Manor Kilbride, along the eastern side of Blessington lakes, as far as the turn for the Wicklow Gap. It seems to go on forever, you can see for miles just how long it is, and there is not a flat bit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭g0g

Zen0 wrote: »
    The road that I just can't like is the one from Manor Kilbride, along the eastern side of Blessington lakes, as far as the turn for the Wicklow Gap. It seems to go on forever, you can see for miles just how long it is, and there is not a flat bit on it.
    I knew there was one I couldn't think of... hate it too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

smackyB wrote: »
    <rant>
    +1 for Rock Road, especially outside the Tara Towers hotel where the road narrows and becomes impassable in traffic. And as mentioned before, the surface is horrific with large puddles building up during persistent rain. My theory is that the stretch is on the border between DLRCC and Dub City council and neither side wants to be responsible for fixing it.

</rant>

I've got all the potholes on the Rock Road memorised.

The thing to do is stay in the middle to right of the bus lane after Merrion Gates until lights at the Trimleston Ave junction.

That way you control the lane and prevent yourself getting pushed into the worst of the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

daragh_ wrote: »

The thing to do is stay in the middle to right of the bus lane after Merrion Gates until lights at the Trimleston Ave junction.

That way you control the lane and prevent yourself getting pushed into the worst of the holes.
    Now that's what I call defensive riding!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The one bit of road that I have an irrational hatred for is the stretch of N11 southbound from UCD to the Stillorgan Park Hotel. It's not very steep but just enough to make it a pain and it is so boring. Having to overtake slow cyclists who are taking up the cycle lane every 10 yards probably contributes to my dislike of the road. I changed my route to go home via Ranelagh - Clonskeagh - Goatstown now as a result. It adds a few Ks to my cycle home but it's a much more enjoyable cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Turvey Avenue eastbound is usually my home leg. Grown to hate it, dunno why. Its not even difficult.

Even after a shorter spin, I can often be seen "warming down" on this section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

daragh_ wrote: »

Absolutely the only the way to ride that stretch. Do exactly the same myself.

Irrational hatred of roads, can't really think of any. I have a completely rational hatred of the N11, every part of it. It has absolutely no redeeming features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

North Strand road to city centre, Dublin. This whole stretch and especially that lovely bridge section.

This is the reason I have a rear-facing camera.

323015.jpg

Advertisement