Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Cycling Championships 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    No he 's not DSQ'd as I reckon I'm just about the only one with a compliant bike, but I didn't have it with me that night - may be a bit stricter next time, depending on who the timer/chief marshal/starter/bike scrutineer is;). However the fact he's taken part in the National Championships does automatically mean a 10 minute handicap is applied.....

I'm fully compliant now! It might take a week to get over the strain on my neck after that! Not to mention my heart from the pre-race panic!

The bars were 5cm too long. Due to their nature, they can't simply be moved back. They had to be cut. Where? The lads from Lakeside Wheelers directed me to and rang ahead to a bike shop in Mullingar. I belted it down there. The three lads in the shop worked like crazy to strip it all down, cut the bars and put it back together again. One problem, the bars taper in from front to bar in diameter so the shifters won't fit back on. Change of plan - loan of a different set of bars for the event. Doesn't work, oversized bar doesn't fit the stem on the bike and they have nothing to suit. Back to the original plan. Cue some filing of the inside of the bars like men possessed! It worked. Shortened bars back on the bike. Gears and brakes serviced. A cup of coffee and an energy bar and all for an incredibly reasonable price.

The lads were just great and I can't recommend this place highly enough. They saved my night!

Outdoor Escape is the business!

Got back to the start just in time but due to my f up I had no warm up and hence I suffered like an absolute dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I'm fully compliant now! It might take a week to get over the strain on my neck after that! Not to mention my heart from the pre-race panic!

The bars were 5cm too long. Due to their nature, they can't simply be moved back. They had to be cut. Where? The lads from Lakeside Wheelers directed me to and rang ahead to a bike shop in Mullingar. I belted it down there. The three lads in the shop worked like crazy to strip it all down, cut the bars and put it back together again. One problem, the bars taper in from front to bar in diameter so the shifters won't fit back on. Change of plan - loan of a different set of bars for the event. Doesn't work, oversized bar doesn't fit the stem on the bike and they have nothing to suit. Back to the original plan. Cue some filing of the inside of the bars like men possessed! It worked. Shortened bars back on the bike. Gears and brakes serviced. A cup of coffee and an energy bar and all for an incredibly reasonable price.

The lads were just great and I can't recommend this place highly enough. They saved my night!

GOt back to the start just in time but due to my f up I had no warm up and hence I suffered like an absolute dog!

What was the issue? The bars were designed for Triathlon and thereby not UCI compliant until modified?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

GOt back to the start just in time but due to my f up I had no warm up and hence I suffered like an absolute dog!

Super effort from the LBS and I'm going to take off the ever present sarcastic hat and say genuinely well done and fair play to Lusk Doyle for having to balls to sign up for and ride the national champs. The time was not bad at all either, bear in mind the winner averaged over 50 kph...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got back to the start just in time but due to my f up I had no warm up and hence I suffered like an absolute dog!

So you didnt need the home trainer in the end!

Inquitus wrote: »
    What was the issue? The bars were designed for Triathlon and thereby not UCI compliant until modified?

They have this metal frame that the bike goes on and if your saddle is too far forward from the control point at the middle of the BB or if the shifters (fully extended) are too far forward from their control point at the front then your bike is not legal. That's it! I am 1cm short of 190cm so that means that I don't get any kind of leeway that they can allow due to your height.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Super effort from the LBS and I'm going to take off the ver present sarcastic hat and say genuinely well done and fair play to Lusk Doyle for having to balls to sign up for and ride the national champs. The time was not bad at all either, bear in mind the winner averaged over 50 kph...

Cheers. I averaged over 50kph too, but only for very short parts of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Full support crew for you next year Lusk Doyle, well done and as said earlier fair balls for taking on the National Championships.

godtabh wrote: »
    So you didnt need the home trainer in the end!

Not even a chance. Moreover, the jeep was really low on fuel but I knew that there was a station in Rochfortbridge so I said that I would tank up there after the TT. It was closed and the nearest open one was about 6k away. I went for it. I made it to about 1.5kms from the next station! Hitched a ride on a coach. Filled a jerry can and got a lift back from a lovely lady. Got the car going again and back to the station to fill it up.

The roads home then were just awful with the rain. I even totally forgot that I had the trainer and to give it back yesterday! Tail between my legs today when I drop it back to the very generous owner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not even a chance. Moreover, the jeep was really low on fuel but I knew that there was a station in Rochfortbridge so I said that I would tank up there after the TT. It was closed and the nearest open one was about 6k away. I went for it. I made it to about 1.5kms from the next station! Hitched a ride on a coach. Filled a jerry can and got a lift back from a lovely lady. Got the car going again and back to the station to fill it up.

The roads home then were just awful with the rain. I even totally forgot that I had the trainer and to give it back yesterday! Tail between my legs today when I drop it back to the very generous owner.

Bloody hell. It was one of those days for you yesterday!

I see that I came 5th in the women's race!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

My God Luck Doyle ...that was some day ...a bit like John Clesse in Clockwise
    Its a wonder you had the energy to ride at all

Very well done on your ride and next year you will go even better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

RobFowl wrote: »
    bear in mind the winner averaged over 50 kph...
    I find it hard to wrap my brain around these kinds of speeds. Apart from the legs, you must have to have an incredibly strong core to keep still while putting out that amount of power.

I'd have to be in the slip stream of a double decker bus to achieve that for 45 minutes and I probably still couldn't do it. 39kph hiding in a bunch race is hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bloody hell Lusk, you didn't make things easy for yourself!

But well done for taking a stab at it, and a good effort considering the conditions! Already looking forward to seeing how you do next year with a bit of preparation, and a bike that doesn't need (any more) surgery to be UCI compliant!

Kudos to J Madone too! Solid work rate there!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,520 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The bars were 5cm too long.
    Presumably that was after doing the morphology test (which can give you 5cm over the basic permitted length)? - I know I can get the 80cm length as a result (as opposed to the standard 75cm)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mark kiernan

gave my turbo out yesterday to lusk doyle
    it came back with a 6pack top man!!
    mind you if i had a day like he had yesterday id have drunk the lot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

gave my turbo out yesterday to lusk doyle
    it came back with a 6pack top man!!
    mind you if i had a day like he had yesterday id have drunk the lot!!!

I have a turbo you can borrow any time :)

I have a turbo you can borrow any time :)

This could get expensive. Note to self - always remember to bring your own turbo with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

If they decide to do a remake of ''Planes trains and automobiles'' you're a cert for the John Candy role.Seriously though fair play for having a stab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

They have this metal frame that the bike goes on and if your saddle is too far forward from the control point at the middle of the BB or if the shifters (fully extended) are too far forward from their control point at the front then your bike is not legal. That's it! I am 1cm short of 190cm so that means that I don't get any kind of leeway that they can allow due to your height.
    The Rules wrote:
    If the handlebar extension
    is fitted with gear levers, the distance is taken from the axis point of the gear lever. The gear lever beyond
    the axis point is allowed to extend beyond 75 cm provided that it does not offer an alternative use (e.g. a
    lever modified such that the hand contact point is beyond 75 cm).

Did they measure from the wrong point?
    UCI technical rules - see page 8.

Justice for Lusk Doyle!

actually - there was a clarifcation dated April 2014 that says any accessories must be placed in a horizontal position and measured from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

How come the U23 guy who went fastest on the night doesn't win the main event too?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Them's the UCI rules. Personally I think it would more sense that he win both titles.

Shakakan wrote: »
    How come the U23 guy who went fastest on the night doesn't win the main event too?

Cos he is U23 and can't win in other disciplines.

wav1 wrote: »
    If they decide to do a remake of ''Planes trains and automobiles'' you're a cert for the John Candy role.Seriously though fair play for having a stab.

Are you saying that I'm fat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Shakakan wrote: »

Nay...just big bones :D

Beasty wrote: »
    Presumably that was after doing the morphology test (which can give you 5cm over the basic permitted length)? - I know I can get the 80cm length as a result (as opposed to the standard 75cm)

Well, he told me to get my shoes off and stand against that wall and then he did what my mam used to do and put a book ontop of my head to get a straight line to the wall. Then he shook his head and said "No, you are under it. Not up to it." No deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

- "Where are your hands?"
    - "Between two pillows"
    - "I'm sorry but the pillows are too long, you'll have to go to Mullingar to get them cut and filed down."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

Are you saying that I'm fat?

No...But def big...and def crazy...wonder who we could get for the Steve Martin part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

I see that a four-time national time trial champion was a non-starter last night because of an interpretation of the UCI regulations on equipment.
    This, after travelling more than 5000 miles to contest the championships...
    Amazing story.

And you may be interested to know that Stefan Kung, who finished second to Cancellara in the Swiss TT championships on Wednesday is just 20 and had a special dispensation to race in the Elite category.
    He might have won, too, had he not had to stop twice in the first 500 metres. He lost by 49 seconds.

No...But def big...and def crazy...wonder who we could get for the Steve Martin part?

That's easy. Gaybo Howard!

No...But def big

Hey Raam, by your scale, that must make me at least 12 stone, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

Whats up with the brake levers pointing inwards on so many bikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

The Crunch wrote: »
    I see that a four-time national time trial champion was a non-starter last night because of an interpretation of the UCI regulations on equipment.
    Amazing story.

who was that? Mel?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Amazing story.

Say what? Tell us more goddammit...

Say what? Tell us more goddammit...

Olivia Dillon.

Olivia Dillon.

they have those jigs and they will use them!!!!!

morana wrote: »
    they have those jigs and they will use them!!!!!

Yeah, she said they interpreted the rule incorrectly and that some guys had a similar experience later on but managed to get to start.
    I'd love to hear the officials' version.
    Suffice it to say it was a disaster for the event that one of the top riders didn't get to compete.

Yeah, she said they interpreted the rule incorrectly and that some guys had a similar experience later on but managed to get to start.
    I'd love to hear the officials' version.
    Suffice it to say it was a disaster for the event that one of the top riders didn't get to compete.

What was the difference of opinion about? The distance from the arm rests to the brake levers?

Some ride by Tony Martin to have gone the wrong way, lost a minute and to end up winning by a minute!

vets champs postponed for a few hours due to bad road traffic accident!

follow @lakesidewheelers for more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Oh my God. Four dead in that accident. 2 adults and 2 children :(. Just on the news there. :(

Bound to seriously affect race scheduling for anyone travelling down this morning.

• Advertisement

What was the difference of opinion about? The distance from the arm rests to the brake levers?

Don't know. She didn't elaborate in her Facebook post except to say that the changes required would have been "mechanically and physically unsound."
    I just think it's a crying shame that one of the pre-event favourites and an icon of the sport travelled half way round the world for the event and didn't get to ride.
    I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it.
    I'm sure the officials have their own view. I'd love to hear it.
    Good luck to everyone riding today and tomorrow. And best of luck to Lakeside. It's a really 'go ahead' club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

fat bloke wrote: »
    Oh my God. Four dead in that accident. 2 adults and 2 children :(. Just on the news there. :(

Bound to seriously affect race scheduling for anyone travelling down this morning.

very sad. rip.

Don't know. She didn't elaborate in her Facebook post except to say that the changes required would have been "mechanically and physically unsound."
    I just think it's a crying shame that one of the pre-event favourites and an icon of the sport travelled half way round the world for the event and didn't get to ride.
    I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it.
    I'm sure the officials have their own view. I'd love to hear it.
    Good luck to everyone riding today and tomorrow. And best of luck to Lakeside. It's a really 'go ahead' club.

Does she have a Stradelli TT bike? If so, I saw exactly what the issue was right beside me at the check and in the carpark afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Mother and her 3 daughters killed in the crash
    No official time for the races
    Seen on Lakeside Wheelers twitter feed

Does she have a Stradelli TT bike? If so, I saw exactly what the issue was right beside me at the check and in the carpark afterwards.

Yeah, I guess so. She rides for Colavita in the states. They use Stradalli bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Horrifically tragic. Jesus.

Very sad news. I'd say the races will be postponed today. Roads likely to closed for the rest of the day

I find it hard to wrap my brain around these kinds of speeds. Apart from the legs, you must have to have an incredibly strong core to keep still while putting out that amount of power.

I find that if your arms are strong enough you can use them to pull on the extension bars and this helps to bring stability and enable high power output. The rest is in the legs and the lungs. I felt that I was quite stable on the bike but just hadn't enough miles in the legs this year to put down really good power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Anyone tweeting updates tomorrow?

• Advertisement

fixie fox wrote: »
    Anyone tweeting updates tomorrow?

@Nationalchamps2014

Advertisement