Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

*Very* inconsiderate not to offer a knee massage.

Believe it or not, my wife actually rubbed some volterol into the girls knee. If I'd started rubbing the girls knee with her good self watching, things could have gone very badly indeed... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

smacl wrote: »
    If I'd started rubbing the girls knee with her good self watching, things could have gone very badly indeed... ;)

Or amazing. Who knows.

Bom chicka wow wow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

OldBean wrote: »
    Is there any clubs/groups in central Dublin doing beginner spins this time of year?

A combination of depression and weight gain and work mean I've barely been on the saddle over the last few months, but could really do with motivation to get on out. Tough going. Back to scratch, except with a nice bike.

Yeah I could do with help getting out too. These research degrees are rubbish for the auld sociability/ego

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

slap/dash wrote: »
    Yeah I could do with help getting out too. These research degrees are rubbish for the auld sociability/ego

Failing all else, you can always declare a Boards spin. PlanetX organised one earlier in the year which was good gas, albeit he also managed to organise a minor hurricane over the Military road to go with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Depends on what you'r'e researching ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

We need to start a research degree/masters cycle-y support group!
    Failing all else, you can always declare a Boards spin. PlanetX organised one earlier in the year which was good gas, albeit he also managed to organise a minor hurricane over the Military road to go with it :)

Naww these always happen when I can't go :(

gadetra wrote: »
    We need to start a research degree/masters cycle-y support group!

Naww these always happen when I can't go :(

Word. Thinking of 'donating' my library to the venerable cause of Samhain fires

Word. Thinking of 'donating' my library to the venerable cause of Samhain fires

I have managed not to look at a single book since my crash (3 weeks:eek:). I said I'd have two chapters done by the end of September... To be fair have brought my books and papers everywhere. I'm editing for the day when they auto synch with my brain, on the basis of proximity. Any day now... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Fancy a handy spin at any stage? Phoenix Park -> Howth and back or any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

RTE's Crimecall tonight had videos of

a) common offences by cyclists, including RLJ-ing and going the wrong way up a one-way street, and
    b) common offences by others against cyclists, including peds walking out in front of cyclist (while cyclist was overtaking bus) and left-hooking, by truck on O'Connell St against a Garda cyclist apparently, who pretty much kept going instead of pulling way back.

Doesn't seem to be on RTE Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I do Phoenix Park/Howth a few times a week, by all means if anyone wants to tag along Id be happy to have the company! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

RainyDay wrote: »
    RTE's Crimecall tonight had videos of

a) common offences by cyclists, including RLJ-ing and going the wrong way up a one-way street, and
    b) common offences by others against cyclists, including peds walking out in front of cyclist (while cyclist was overtaking bus) and left-hooking, by truck on O'Connell St against a Garda cyclist apparently, who pretty much kept going instead of pulling way back.

Doesn't seem to be on RTE Player.

RJL?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RLJ - red light jumping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when a tyre does this - stick in the shed as a possible spare, or bin? it's the two rubber components splitting from each other, but the mesh underneath is OK. i'm pinching the tyre to exaggerate the gap in the photo, and this is easily the worst section.

323146.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Peter T

Hell id still use it the way it is. Hang it up as a spare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Anyone take the road form Nangor road to N4 that passes Baldonnell air base?

What's with the signs on Baldonnell House which are highly negative towards the military?

My last trip past there during the week there was a masked man standing on the edge of the Baldonnel house wall banging a drum......:confused:

same noticed it while back and the scary masked man too, assume its ongoing feud with baldonnell house owners/ant military against the government

I have managed not to look at a single book since my crash (3 weeks:eek:). I said I'd have two chapters done by the end of September... To be fair have brought my books and papers everywhere. I'm editing for the day when they auto synch with my brain, on the basis of proximity. Any day now... :pac:

Promises to supervisors are often broken

OldBean wrote: »
    Fancy a handy spin at any stage? Phoenix Park -> Howth and back or any other suggestions?

Yeah I'm up for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

when a tyre does this

If the casing (mesh) underneath is intact, you'll be grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Encountered the famous 133 Bus Eireann on today's spin. Driving ability, or lack there of is still astounding.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Encountered the famous 133 Bus Eireann on today's spin. Driving ability, or lack there of is still astounding.

I have had a number of incidents with the 133, same driver. It's beyond ridiculous the amount of people/severity of incidents with same. Report him, it's ridiculous.

Unless that is you gave him a dangerously close pass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I have had a number of incidents with the 133, same driver. It's beyond ridiculous the amount of people/severity of incidents with same. Report him, it's ridiculous.

Unless that is you gave him a dangerously close pass...

This being Zyzz we're talking about, I'd ask why the bus driver had the warp drive engaged.

Speaking of speed, I transitioned back to my beater (a Raleigh outland mtb with 40mm knobblies and now a mere 38x18) for my uber short 2k commute after having borrowed the Wifenbike ( Scott 509 frame with 23mm Zaffiros and a 42x18) for the last few weeks and found the loss of the ability to blaze along the canal at 40kph screaming 'Get thee behind me lazy motorist satans!' to be most disconcerting.

Oh well cadence cadence cadence.

a Raleigh outland mtb with 40mm knobblies

I have 25mm slick tyres in 26" (that I will probably never use) if you want to try if your Raleigh can be a bit speedier and look even more outlandish.

They will run well even on wide MTB rims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

when a tyre does this - stick in the shed as a possible spare, or bin? it's the two rubber components splitting from each other, but the mesh underneath is OK. i'm pinching the tyre to exaggerate the gap in the photo, and this is easily the worst section.

323146.jpg

That's now your turbo trainer tyre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

Wifenbike ( Scott 509 frame with 23mm Zaffiros and a 42x18) for the last few weeks and found the loss of the ability to blaze along the canal at 40kph screaming 'Get thee behind me lazy motorist satans!' to be most disconcerting.

Oh well cadence cadence cadence.

jaysus, what cadence do you spin along at ? I run 42x16 and rarely cruise at over 30Km....:( damn my big heavy legs (i'm sure it has nothing to do with the mass wobbling about above them :D)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fiacha wrote: »
    jaysus, what cadence do you spin along at
    Well if he managed to get up to 40 km/h it would be around 130rpm. You would be going at a more sedate 87rpm or so at 30 km/h though ....

Alek wrote: »
    I have 25mm slick tyres in 26" (that I will probably never use) if you want to try if your Raleigh can be a bit speedier and look even more outlandish.

They will run well even on wide MTB rims.

Dude

You're being so nice/generous to me I'm starting to worry that I'm being groomed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Has anyone tried to bring spokes on a flight as hand luggage? (Schipol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Beasty wrote: »
    Well if he managed to get up to 40 km/h it would be around 130rpm. You would be going at a more sedate 87rpm or so at 30 km/h though ....

Even worse, on 26" wheels he'd need to be doing about 152 rpm. Which I'd guess is why he's lost the ability to go 40 kph since going back to his MTB ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Hardly anyone with a Chain reaction voucher?
    one posted 5 days ago here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057293242

Dude

You're being so nice/generous to me I'm starting to worry that I'm being groomed...

Don't worry.

:D

jaysus, what cadence do you spin along at ? I run 42x16 and rarely cruise at over 30Km....:( damn my big heavy legs (i'm sure it has nothing to do with the mass wobbling about above them :D)

Well I never said I could sustain it for very long :)

But for a kilometre I can. The wifenbike is a rocket. I was spinning like a lunatic on my 6k beater test run last night and never quite hit 36kph although my fastest km was 32kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Dude

Don't worry.

:D

Ahem, what is going on here?

Giving, receiving... sharing is caring :D

Giving, receiving... sharing is caring :D

It's so Euro!

Beasty wrote: »

I prefer to describe it as sustainable :D

I need to work on my pedalling technique. When ever I try maintaining a cadence over 100rpm I start bouncing on the saddle.

I need to work on my pedalling technique. When ever I try maintaining a cadence over 100rpm I start bouncing on the saddle.

Change gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I had that problem for a while too, made a thread about it - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81833680

I never have trouble with it anymore, at least not on my road bike. Can spin pretty comfortably at over 100 rpm now, but it did require practice.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Change gear.

I'm on a singlespeed so I need to sort out the technique. It can only help when I pick up a road bike.

I'm on a singlespeed so I need to sort out the technique. It can only help when I pick up a road bike.

Change bike so!

quozl wrote: »
    Even worse, on 26" wheels he'd need to be doing about 152 rpm. Which I'd guess is why he's lost the ability to go 40 kph since going back to his MTB ;)

Even so. I just thrashed some cheeky water tanker on a Defy who decided to commuter race me.

Got home a tad sweaty but...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I had that problem for a while too, made a thread about it - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81833680

I never have trouble with it anymore, at least not on my road bike. Can spin pretty comfortably at over 100 rpm now, but it did require practice.
    Some of the training I did last winter involved maxing out my cadence over 10 second intervals. Was often averaging over 180 and never really noticed (or maybe never had chance to notice!!) any bouncing in the saddle

The stronger your core the less likely you are to bounce, if your saddle is too high you are more likely to bounce. Maybe try to pedal round instead of just up and down if that makes sense? It happened to me when I started track. Time spent at high cadences helped me the most. Spin spin spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Decided its time to invest in a camera , cousin got knocked down ( deliberately he thinks) on way home yesterday evening in England . Bike is totalled but he is ok. No CCTV or witness ,cops aren't hopeful. Seen an upsurge in collisions this year

• Advertisement

newbie bike maintenance moment of panic earlier; i'd decided to raise the handlebars 1cm, so i loosened up the cap on top of the stem, loosened and removed the stem itself, swapped the spacer in and was bewildered why my headset had so much play in it.
    i'd assumed the headset was tightened using the bolt under the cap, not with the cap itself. now i'm paranoid everything is tightened correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....When ever I try maintaining a cadence over 100rpm I start bouncing on the saddle.
    I'm on a singlespeed.....
    Try descending the village side of Howth clipped in on a fixie. Then you'll know all about it! :eek:

(Actually don't descend that side until the road is rectified. A friend almost lost it there at the weekend. He didn't know about the surface damage until he was in the midst of it!).

i'd assumed the headset was tightened using the bolt under the cap, not with the cap itself. now i'm paranoid everything is tightened correctly.

Install spacers, stem and cap. Do not tighten anything.

Tighten the top cap only enough so that no play is felt when rocking the bike with the front brake engaged. Then tighten 1/4 turn more.

Only then make sure the handlebar is straight and tighten the stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

The stronger your core the less likely you are to bounce, if your saddle is too high you are more likely to bounce. Maybe try to pedal round instead of just up and down if that makes sense? It happened to me when I started track. Time spent at high cadences helped me the most. Spin spin spin!

How is your shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Not sure if this will be of any use to anyone but if you have ANY version of Shimano Di2 or you know someone who does, don't have the firmware that came out in August applied, ever.
    It prevents, rightly or wrongly, mixing parts from the various systems. I believe they are called "mash ups"

I did a lot of learning today!

Also came across this which was kind of cool and I had patented in my head :mad:

Auto gearing is just around the corner. Set desired cadence and off you go...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement