Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

model rocketry

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tfitz666

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I was thinking that a cheap way of making rocket engines would be to buy saltpetre on ebay(legal to import as far as I know) and then follow this guide (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/858692/home_made_rocket_fuel/) Havn't tried this myself but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Let me know how it goes if ye try it:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tfitz666

^^
    Obviously the above post is only if the law now allows rockets;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tenox

This should bring some light to the case:

http://www.iaa.ie/library_download.jsp?libraryID=283

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Another update - Eric Stenzel of the Irish Rocketry Society (http://www.irishrocketry.com/Home.htm) will be launching a 17'-tall rocket (:eek:) in Tuam tomorrow (Easter Saturday) - this will be the largest rocket ever launched in Ireland.

I am intending to be there to see this, hopefully the weather will behave itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tenox

Obviously this must be a water rocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

tenox wrote: »
    Obviously this must be a water rocket.

did you actually check their website ?

the document, you are referring to, does not prohibit such activity.
    yes, it is strictly regulated.

obviously guys are "flying" from approved sites (agreed with IAA).

btw:
    Rocket Launches
    2009 Schedule:
    The last Sunday of every month, April through August
    (Weather Permitting)
    3.00pm AT THE MARITIME MUSEUM
    http://www.inishowenmaritime.com/a_s_h.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I've had an interest in this for a while now, but it seems the materials for building the rocket fuels are restricted.

Is there a drive at all to get certain chemicals such as KN03 declassified for civilian use?

I'd like to get started with rocketry at a later date(too many hobbies, not enough time), but within the law of course.

I suppose I'll have to resign myself to watching videos of stuff going *swoosh* on youtube.

Cheers,

Hauk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 IRS.ie

**** Please do not make your own rocket fuel. ****

Cheap motors & rocket kits can be purchased via the internet for model rocketry. (some vendors might ask for a explosive license)

High power rocket motor require a cert. from a governing body like Tripoli Rocketry Association, or the United Kingdom Rocketry Association.
    If you are interested in getting in to model or high power please contact us via
    www.irishrocketry.com

You much have an explosive license to import/transport/store rocket motors.

Vendors in the UK will not or are unlikely to ship to Ireland for several reasons, shipping company's will not carry explosives is the main reason also they are unlikely just to send rocket motors to someone they do not know. We have spent time getting to know the vendors over a few years.

We are also members of Tripoli Rocketry Association & United Kingdom Rocketry Association (UKRA)

There is are legality issues to be addressed before launching rockets in Ireland.

If you wish to fly rockets in Ireland please turn up at

Rocket Launches the last Sunday of every month, April through August
    (Weather Permitting)
    3.00PM at the Inishowen Maritime Museum Co.Donegal.

All rocket launches in Ireland are Family events.

We are still looking for suitable launch sites throughout the country.

Colin - www.irishrocketry.com

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

IRS.ie wrote: »

Already hear you, I wasn't going to anyway. Thanks for the info though, thats some good reading.

Good luck with it.

Hauk

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Basic_User

Someone brought this thread to my attention & thought I'd chip in.

I'm the guy that did those rocket programs that you viewed on Nationwide as well as other events and yes, they are real rockets.

A couple of pictures are (hopefully) attached of my big rocket mentioned in post #35. One with me standing next to it for perspective and another of it launching. The fuel used to launch it is the same used in the Space Shuttle so it's pretty powerful.

If you further info, post here or pop an email to island451 (at) hotmail.com

Type ROCKETRY in the subject line as this email address is one that may attract spam.

All the best;

Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Hi Guys

This Post seems to come in and go back to the shelf. I think it would be great for us as a country however to promote such clubs and societies, if we want a good scientific and engineering country we need interesting things and heres something to get any young person interested.

I'd love to obtain a model one to learn with my young guys and then move to a bigger version, are they difficult to get and has the licenses been solved? I assume membership of some club would be advisable..

Dont know if anyone else out there is still interested, may pop into Tuam on May 16th and have a look at the next launch.. talk there..

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

coolwings wrote: »
    Wanna buy a rocket ... buy an acre of ground, and wait !

I had to post a rply to this .. orig posted on summer 2005...
    Oh how things had changed!

The rockets are not the problem its the 'motor' that is need to power the rocket.

Model rocketry uses Black Powder

High power uses ammonium perchlorate

To import you need an explosive licence.

If you want buy a model kit & come to Tuam on the 16th we can have the motors for you to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Basic_User

Hey MotteDai,

I PM'ed you about rocket kits for you & your kids if you want to attend.

Hope to see you on the day. Fly high & fast but don't crash & burn!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

Will there be another launch in Tuam? If so, when and where exactly.Oh please, oh please, oh please! :D

I'l send Eric Stenzel a mail asking him about launching more rockets in Tuam. At the moment its an anual thing.
    Colin.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

Thanks Colin. Is the Irish Rocketry site down for good or is it just a temporary glitch?

just a temporary glitch, should be back working in the morning..takes time for them to find the problem, its only happend once before & took afew hours to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

About time model rocketry arrived here... A few years back I was a massive Estes enthusiast. Every weekend me and my dad would go to Modelworld in the Liosbaun and pick up a pack of rockets - normally A-8-3 or B-6-4. We once made the mictake of getting my rocket, which was designed for A and B series engines, enlargening the motor housing by filing away some plastic, and stuffing a D-12-0 rocket in. Seeing as no ejection charge was present, it just... Flew away. We fired em out in the bog in Claregalway and this one must be buried somewhere in the peat.

After getting frustrated with the fairly lifeless Estes firing box I designed and built some of my own - if you like, I can post a photo of my favourite one. It had an ARM switch with flashing light to indicate it being armed, and a toggle to FIRE, and uses a battery pack.

I also noted that one can mess with the engine a little bit to get more ISP, but one in three would CATO. But that is O.T. Could y'all tell me if there is a launch in Tuam soon? I cant belive I never heard of the launches there and I am a mere 8km away.

Also, for a 18 year old how hard will it be to get a permit to legally fire these things (estes motors/ APCP based motors)? I know there is a loophole that allows one type of Hybrid but they are bloody dangerous if I were to **** up...

If y'all have questions regarding ignition, ignitors, and such, I have a lot of experience with e-match construction for when the Estes ones failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Sorry for double posting, my phone wont let me edit. I am thinking of making a simple .pdf resource for people who want to 'roll their own' electric matches and firing boxes for igniting their model rockets (estes solar ignitors have a shelf life, and tend to fail, and their firing box aint great). I am almost finished the writing part, and have a video of the firing box in use (a test run igniting NC). If you guys and girls want, I can post links here. BTW, 'rolling your own' engines can be VERY dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Hi guy's I'm new to this forum. I was in Florida last year and bought a fairly advanced Estes rocket kit and mucho packs of motors B64 and C65. It can launch various types about 100 in total depending on which you choose to build. I have succesfully launced and recovered several. I think the max range is about 2000ft but I aint achieved that yet. I bought the kit and motors in Hamleys in the Florida mall and I think they are available in the UK and NI. It really is an awesome kit. I will be returning soon and I will let you know when and if you like I could bring you back some motors if thats any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GiXX

*BUMP*

Any more on this topic guys? im very interested in rocketry..

www.irishrocketry.com

We are going to start flying rockets again in Greencastle, Co.Donegal on Easter Sunday.

you can us the contact us on the website & that will come though to myself & I'l keep you up to date.

Colin.

www.irishrocketry.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Sorry to bump a very old thread but it makes more sense than starting a new one!
    I was hoping to get myself and my kids some rockets and go launch them. But my kids wouldn't be that keen on going all the way to Donegal or, in any case, more than an hour away from home (Meath) to launch.
    Is it against the law to launch from a private field nearby? Assume it was my field too.
    Tuam is a bit of a spin too and i get the impression it happens only a few times a year. I'll want to launch at least every weekend, to really get enjoyment out of it!!:)

And do i need a license to import or even have the engines? From what i can gather, there isn't a license needed for small engines in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rocketholden

I know this was posted in 2005 yea the rocket fuel are illegal but that doesn't mean people don't have there ways of getting them fireworks are illegal and you see them as much over here then you do in England when i want rocket fuel i ring a few model shops in northern Ireland some will send it down some wont so i just have a guy up there who buys it and sends it down its pretty handy there is always ways around it and the guarda don't exactly know the law iv had a guard stop and watch me launch my rocket haha

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Hey Guys

Colin mentioned this back in 2011, but since the thread has been dormant for a while I'll repeat it. The Irish Rocketry Society has been promoting and growing rocketry, lots of work being done to get events going in schools and at events like the Groove festival in Wicklow earlier this month.

If you are interested in building and launching rockets there's a community there to ask questions and have a laugh on launch days. They import rocket motors legally, arrange free airspace for launches and work towards making rocketry safer and easier in Ireland. They are members of Tripoli which means the certification you can get for the high powered rockets are internationally recognised.

Facebook: Irish Rocketry - Tripoli No. 129

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NaasPreacher

I loved model rocketry when I was growing up in Alalbama. I wanted to get my grandchildren involved.

DO I have this right? It is basically impossible and probably illegal for me to take my grqndkids out to launch Estes model rockets?

Advertisement