Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY Work Experience 2013/2014

Options
  • 14-02-2013 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just wondering if anyone's started organising ty work experience for 2013/2014?

I've got my dates and I'm thinking of applying to The Irish Times, Google,
    Spin 1038, TCD School of Biochemistry and Immunology, and maybe a couple more.
    I really want to do Mini-Med in the RCSI, but apparently it's really hard to get in to, and you have to apply through your school.

What are other people thinking of doing? Or is it too early to start planning?

By the way, for anyone who's interested, to apply for The Irish Times email hrdept@irishtimes.com
    and to apply for Spin 1038 email workexperience@spin1038.com

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sarahmg908

how do you contact Google? I've been trying to find something for ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

My teacher will give anyone from TY who wants a mini-med placement a place, very few people choose to do it so, its always an option although I'm not interested in medicine. I'd like to work in media or for a big IT company seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I've got an architecture course secured for some of my work experience but I'm still not sure about the rest. I might go to an art college, physiology or history?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 soniaxox

is it hard to get work experience in psychology?.. I really wanna do psychology in college so it would be ideal if I got experience in that sector. Does anyone know of any places, where I could get a work placement in psychology ( in the north-west)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niamh boylan

does google take on transition year students?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

I know they do. My friend done work experience there, but he knew someone who worked at Google. You should contact them and see, but I rekon it will be hard to get a place, but I'm 100% sure they do take on people from TY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

soniaxox wrote: »
    is it hard to get work experience in psychology?.. I really wanna do psychology in college so it would be ideal if I got experience in that sector. Does anyone know of any places, where I could get a work placement in psychology ( in the north-west)
    The office buidling beside Jervis, a friend of mine is talking to a psychological therapist there(they're good friends ...), he said he will see if he could take me for a week or two for work experince :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 soniaxox

Wow, you're so lucky! .. There's so many places to get work experience in dublin :o .. unfortunately I live in the north-west where there's not that many opportunities :( ..do you know what you would you be doing when doing your work experience in psychology?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MeggyMonkey

My teacher will give anyone from TY who wants a mini-med placement a place, very few people choose to do it so, its always an option although I'm not interested in medicine. I'd like to work in media or for a big IT company seriously.

you're so lucky to have the chance i really want to do a mini med program for TY but having trouble finding one. i know about the RCSI one but it sounds really hard to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niamh boylan

hi I was just wondering does anybody have an email address for google in dublin as I want to try and get work experience there?

• Advertisement

hi I was just wondering does anybody have an email address for google in dublin as I want to try and get work experience there?
    There is no email address to contact them. I wouldn't suggest going there. You won't actually do any "work". You'll just get talks and maybe a tour around the place. There's already a thread about this topic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

As far as I am aware, Google will only accept students who have contacts there (and still not many students will be accepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

d1234 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, Google will only accept students who have contacts there (and still not many students will be accepted)

That's probably only partially true, Google are all about inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Where I come from the exciting places to go are the pet shop and the local mechanic!!

Fad wrote: »

Well I tried approach them on behalf of somebody else and I can remember calling them - I couldn't actually get through to the reception because I didn't know anyone working there. In fact trying to get a number for them was unreal. Best of luck though - it may have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

soniaxox wrote: »

Sadly, unless you knw someone, a lot of psychologists won't take people because there isn't a whole lot for you to do. My brother has a practice in Dublin and because of their conditions many of his patients can't consent to their privacy being breached and the one's that can often refuse, who want's a teenager listening to that kind of thing? :P

Your best bet would be to sit in on some lectures, a lot of colleges give TY students that chance, just shadow a psychology lecturer and say you want to do that :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Fad wrote: »

From what I have gathered while looking for work experience there 2 years ago, you can get a placement there through somebody that works there. But yeah it's only partially true because someone I knew got in last year and he was given the placement through the school because he got the best JC results in our school.

'Contacting' Google is almost impossible, I mean there's no phone number or e-mail for a public help desk. I mean let's face it, who has ever had to contact Google's Dublin office about anything other than clients or other businesses?

Microsoft Ireland also has a TY programme and you can contact them for more info. You'll have to make a short video to enter the competition and they only pick around 60-80 from around 800 applicants. I think the application process runs from around this time of the summer to September. Same as Google, you won't really be 'working' but it's a great week, I'd definitely recommend it.

There are also some small game companies in Dublin that accept TY students for work experience, I've no idea which ones though.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    From what I have gathered while looking for work experience there 2 years ago, you can get a placement there through somebody that works there. But yeah it's only partially true because someone I knew got in last year and he was given the placement through the school because he got the best JC results in our school.

'Contacting' Google is almost impossible, I mean there's no phone number or e-mail for a public help desk. I mean let's face it, who has ever had to contact Google's Dublin office about anything other than clients or other businesses?

Microsoft Ireland also has a TY programme and you can contact them for more info. You'll have to make a short video to enter the competition and they only pick around 60-80 from around 800 applicants. I think the application process runs from around this time of the summer to September. Same as Google, you won't really be 'working' but it's a great week, I'd definitely recommend it.

There are also some small game companies in Dublin that accept TY students for work experience, I've no idea which ones though.

Best of luck

If anyone is interested with Games Development I did work experience with a local one set up in a local IT. Although I'm far from Dublin City and county here is a list of Game Developers in Ireland. Although I recommend only applying to small indie companies and to have a bit of knowledge of programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Getting work experience for me last year was a nightmare, you're truly limited in what you can do. I thought initially, I'll definitely go to a doctor's surgery etc. but due to patient confidentiality that is not possible. I got a great placement with the Head of Law at UCC but my second week left me with a hotel. I was hoping I'd get a job out of this but towards the end of the week I discovered that they only hire 18 year olds and above. At that stage I was fairly fed up. Don't go to a restaurant or hotel, cheap labour!

What kind of place should I go to for the best experience? I'm already going to an architecture course for some of it but I also want to get an idea of what it's like to work. Does anyone know what kind of places I can go and actually learn something/work instead of making coffee for a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 3yearstudent98

I'm planning on working with a vet and I'm so looking forward to it!! I also might take a trip down to my old primary school!

MomijiHime wrote: »
    What kind of place should I go to for the best experience? I'm already going to an architecture course for some of it but I also want to get an idea of what it's like to work. Does anyone know what kind of places I can go and actually learn something/work instead of making coffee for a week?

How about calling some of the Schools of Architecture e.g. UCD, DIT etc. Also try the RIAI in Merrion Square, local planning authorities, architects themselves, organisations like An Taisce, An Bord Pleanala etc. Best of luck - just keep trying and something will work out in the end!

d1234 wrote: »
    How about calling some of the Schools of Architecture e.g. UCD, DIT etc. Also try the RIAI in Merrion Square, local planning authorities, architects themselves, organisations like An Taisce, An Bord Pleanala etc. Best of luck - just keep trying and something will work out in the end!

I'll try that, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

If anyone is interested in animals, I did work experience in the DSPCA last year for a week which was great fun!
    I mainly helped in the dog rehoming kennels but also got to do work in isolation. A lot of the work is cleaning kennels and walking dogs, so if you're not keen on physical work you probably wouldn't be suited to it, if you enjoy this sort of stuff and are given a place, make sure to wear wellies and a raincoat, it was quite chilly and wet despite me being there in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Hi, I my self am entering TY :) this Thursday
    My subjects are as follows:
    English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Business
    Italian

At home:
    Ag. Science
    Economics

I am having some problems deciding on either to do geography at home or not, either take it for the leaving cert, due to easy points or leave it due to having already enough subjects on my back.

The reason I picked 2 science subjects and 2 business subjects was because I am interested in getting in Medical or Business

So what do ye guys think...

English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Business
    Italian

At home:
    Ag. Science
    Economics

I am having some problems deciding on either to do geography at home or not, either take it for the leaving cert, due to easy points or leave it due to having already enough subjects on my back.

The reason I picked 2 science subjects and 2 business subjects was because I am interested in getting in Medical or Business

You already starting study? :confused: I've got told geography isn't the hardest subject for LC.

You already starting study? :confused: I've got told geography isn't the hardest subject for LC.

Lol, no I am just saying that I am planning to do them at home, I will probs start during the Summer holidays of 4th year :P
    Yeah I was told that as well but, again I heard there was a project in that as well... :(.
    And I am not planning to do that in school, how ever I also do no plan to take that many subjects as it would cause to much pressure, BUT, I am sure that I will not count English and Italian for DEF for my leaving cert points, not study them as much(as I suck at them) I will try to pick up C's on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Business
    Italian

At home:
    Ag. Science
    Economics

Do ye have a three year Leaving Cert our something? :) Since you have your subjects. Cause I know we have our subjects too cause we use TY to start our Leaving Cert course. I'm so excited to start everything tbh! :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Do ye have a three year Leaving Cert our something? :) Since you have your subjects. Cause I know we have our subjects too cause we use TY to start our Leaving Cert course. I'm so excited to start everything tbh! :)

Hey.
    How you doing ? :-D
    Our TY is kind of confusing as well as fun.
    Basically in TY in our school includes lots of activities such as going to UL for a full day, once every week. Mini companies such as partnering with banks aswell as designing a product to sell.
    There is lessons, guest speakers regarding various issues. Fundraisers aswel as the Gaisce.
    Like your school, our school starts the Lc course little by little but how ever from past TY students experience, av. Homework time is 20-30 mins max.
    We also have IT for nearly a full day once every week.
    Including the above stuff i mentioned there is loads of stuff to do in TY in our school. So it is not considered a total waste. And only around averagely 6-8 students skip it.
    Sorry if there was any grammar, spelling errors as i was dntering this from my mobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hey.
    How you doing ? :-D
    Our TY is kind of confusing as well as fun.
    Basically in TY in our school includes lots of activities such as going to UL for a full day, once every week. Mini companies such as partnering with banks aswell as designing a product to sell.
    There is lessons, guest speakers regarding various issues. Fundraisers aswel as the Gaisce.
    Like your school, our school starts the Lc course little by little but how ever from past TY students experience, av. Homework time is 20-30 mins max.
    We also have IT for nearly a full day once every week.
    Including the above stuff i mentioned there is loads of stuff to do in TY in our school. So it is not considered a total waste. And only around averagely 6-8 students skip it.
    Sorry if there was any grammar, spelling errors as i was dntering this from my mobile
    Our schools are the exact same in terms of courses so :O Except for the UL part :) I'm really excited to start my Leaving Cert courses tbh.

I'm doing:
    - English
    - Irish
    - Maths
    - Applied Maths
    - Chemistry
    - Physics
    - Biology
    - Business

and I also think I might be doing Economics with a teacher after school too :)

Advertisement