Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland 6N 5pm

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bald? er, dash!

... maybe a move to 12 to keep the opposition on their toes? Trimble is more naturally a 13 than a 12 and BOD has shown (in my opinion) that he has the skills to slot in at 12. I think Trimble is holding up well, but would shine more at OC.

I was at the game on Saturday and for me BOD was standing at 12 for the most part (me thinks he is reluctant to wear anything other than 13 on his back...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Stev_o wrote: »
    BS. If thats the fact then he should be at 12 OC arent link players and they are breakers IC are the ones who make space for them.

Look if he moves into IC great because then Trimble who is in better form and offering more of late will make more of the OC and if as we know that BOD will be targeted with 3 players he can easily create space for everyone else but at 13 he wont and we will keep seeing this form

I would probly agree with you put odrisoll at 12 and trimble at 13 but for next year do it properly and blood in next years 6 nations should be odriscoll at 12 and fitzgerald at 13,kearney at 15.We have to get these new players in soon.we probabbly wont do well but thats the way it is

doesnt matter if he is 12 or 13,we dont have a proper 12 anyway,so it makes no difference.he is our best player and is world class and can produce moments of genious so even if he played scrum half ,he is the number 1 concern for any team we play.
    Ireland dont play 12 and 13 like normal.darcy is tiny to be a 12,if anything bod should be 12 and darcy 13,but then darcy isnt a 13 or even a 12 for that matter and bod can play either so he is best at 13 so he plays there,he is equally dangerous in any position

someone earlier pointed out that when bod doesnt play Ireland and leinster dont play wel.this is because other teams are so set on stopping him and he gives every other players extra space because of it.
    No matter how many people will call ogara our best player,there is things only a few players on earth can do,bod is one of these special players.the only other i have seen in recent times are mortlock,contepomi,hernandez and carter
    ogara is a top player,probably top 5 in the world in his position but teams wont watch him as close as bod because when bod is on form he is in a different league to anyone on the pitch.(i only used ogara as an example because he is playing well at the moment)

as for op,get a video of the game,watch it again and see how many times ogara kicks to touch when the scots were on the back foot and we could have run at them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

dc69 wrote: »
    I would probly agree with you put odrisoll at 12 and trimble at 13 but for next year do it properly and blood in next years 6 nations should be odriscoll at 12 and fitzgerald at 13,kearney at 15.We have to get these new players in soon.we probabbly wont do well but thats the way it is

As things stand Trimble is more deserving of the 12/13 spot than Fitzgerald, and its not as if he is old or anything. I see no reason to start Fitz there for the sake of it. I imagine if he gets in next year it will be on the wing with Kearney moved to full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭phog

...... as for op,get a video of the game,watch it again and see how many times ogara kicks to touch when the scots were on the back foot and we could have run at them.

Thats a cop out you stated in an earlier post and I qoute you "also why was ogara kicking to touch for about 20 mins yesterday when we had scots on the back foot,now we have no chance of winning the championship because of our lack of tries/points,stupidity at the highest level.what would it have mattered if the scots had scored again and we scored 2 more tries?nothing well worth the risk"

I saw the match and I can't recall him kicking to touch for anything like 20 minutes. If it's a fact as you state then give me a timeframe so that I can see for myself.

phog wrote: »
    Thats a cop out you stated in an earlier post and I qoute you "also why was ogara kicking to touch for about 20 mins yesterday when we had scots on the back foot,now we have no chance of winning the championship because of our lack of tries/points,stupidity at the highest level.what would it have mattered if the scots had scored again and we scored 2 more tries?nothing well worth the risk"

I saw the match and I can't recall him kicking to touch for anything like 20 minutes. If it's a fact as you state then give me a timeframe so that I can see for myself.

maybe it wasnt 20 mins,i was caught up in the moment because i just realised we now cant win because of lack of tries.You can nit pick if you want but there was a period of time in the match where ogara kicked for a period of time long enough for us to have scored a few tries.you are right about the timeframe you are wrong in trying to disgard my comment completely because i exgerated the time frame

we now have no chance of winning the championship because of lacking that killer instinct.for the first time in a long time,the backs were on fire and we are now gona suffer the consequnces of not trying to score more tries

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    As things stand Trimble is more deserving of the 12/13 spot than Fitzgerald, and its not as if he is old or anything. I see no reason to start Fitz there for the sake of it. I imagine if he gets in next year it will be on the wing with Kearney moved to full back.

ive watching him since schools rugby,he has the potential to be a world class 13,whether he develops it is another question,we could stick trimble in and he would be good or we could take a risk on a youngster who has the potential to be a hell of a better player.i couldnt care about winning next year so i choose the latter
    on the murphy v dempsey debate,it should be finished .boot them both out,there both old now,stick kearney in
    i would have for next year
    15-kearney
    14-trimble( he may not be a wing but he does a good enough job,in the long run i think fitz will make a better 13)
    13-Fitzgerald
    12-BOD
    11-Bowe

shake things up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

maybe it wasnt 20 mins,i was caught up in the moment because i just realised we now cant win because of lack of tries.You can nit pick if you want but there was a period of time in the match where ogara kicked for a period of time long enough for us to have scored a few tries.you are right about the timeframe you are wrong in trying to disgard my comment completely because i exgerated the time frame

we now have no chance of winning the championship because of lacking that killer instinct.for the first time in a long time,the backs were on fire and we are now gona suffer the consequnces of not trying to score more tries
    Talk about hindsight being 20/20.

As if anyone would have perdicted a potential 4 way tie going into the last round.

Sangre wrote: »
    Talk about hindsight being 20/20.

As if anyone would have perdicted a potential 4 way tie going into the last round.

it wasnt that far fetched to think england would win.We destroyed their scrum,so it was obvious england would go one step further and they did.I predicted england and so should the players

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭phog

dc69 I'm sorry but that's complete rubbish - how many times have Ireland score a few tries in a period of time less than 20 minutes? Are you talking about the 1st half or the 2nd half of the game where he is supposed to have cost us the tries? We lost the chance of winning the 6Ns by not putting points on Italy, I think most people would be happy with our return from Saturday- excepting allowing Scotland to score their try.

Have a look at the match stats here

In the 2nd half we scored a try in the first minute, we score again on the 22 minute with a penalty being score in between and by the 32 minute the subs are rolling on so I cant see where you can we lost tries because of ROG's stupidity - but hey don't let the facts get in the way for knocking a good player.

phog wrote: »
    dc69 I'm sorry but that's complete rubbish - how many times have Ireland score a few tries in a period of time less than 20 minutes? Are you talking about the 1st half or the 2nd half of the game where he is supposed to have cost us the tries? We lost the chance of winning the 6Ns by not putting points on Italy, I think most people would be happy with our return from Saturday- excepting allowing Scotland to score their try.

Have a look at the match stats here

In the 2nd half we scored a try in the first minute, we score again on the 22 minute with a penalty being score in between and by the 32 minute the subs are rolling on so I cant see where you can we lost tries because of ROG's stupidity - but hey don't let the facts get in the way for knocking a good player.

i said he was a very good player about 3 posts ago,paraphrase,he is in the top 5 in the world for his position.I just felt he kicked it when we could have run it,im talking about the second half,2 tries was a very real posibility,i dont think he costs us the tries at all,he was doing the munster way he is used to and kicking touch.BOD was at fault,he should have commanded the situation but that another story all together in your stats ,kicks to touch 13

but you are 100% right about the Italy game,thats where we should have racked them up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

O'Gara generally only kicked the ball when he had to.In other words when he was receiving ball from under presssure and dominated forwards.This constitutes almost all the ball he got.It's to his credit that we managed to run any ball at all.Also when O'Gara is on top form he is easily in the top 3 if not 2 in his position in the world.I agree BOD is number 1 in his position(centre-inside or outside) when at his best which he hasn't been for over a year but I would say he is playing through injuries.This talk of Fitzgerald coming in and replacing Trimble next year is crazy.He hasn't even shown he can play in the centre yet and Trimble is playing better all the time and will continue to do so while allowed to remain in his correct position.He is not a winger and playing him there to accomadate an unproven, though exciting, player in his position is lunacy and very EOS like.If you think back to when the Irish backline were at their best in 2004 BOD played inside centre with Darcy outside.Now they switched around a bit and BOD did wear 13 but still for the most part he was inside.This same thing could work with Trimble.

Advertisement