Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Breakfast Show - Morning Edition

Options
  • 23-01-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭

Surprised I haven't heard much about this over the past few months, apart from when i saw it in the TV mags yesterday.

9:00am Monday - Friday
    Morning Edition
    New series. A mix of news, sport, business, topical discussion and entertainment, presented by Keelin Shanley. Includes Weather

Starting 2 hours later than Ireland AM i don't really see it being too much of a competition, but is there really an audience from between 9am and 11am?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I wouldn't call it a breakfast show if it starts at 9am, tbh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

iseegirls wrote: »
    New series. A mix of news, sport, business, topical discussion and entertainment, presented by Keelin Shanley. Includes Weather.

Sounds original !

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HPMan1

testbed for a Mux2 Breakfast 6am=9am tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I wouldn't call it a breakfast show if it starts at 9am, tbh!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Does anyone know who the first guest on the show?

It was mentioned on RTE News earlier this week and I'm racking my brain to remember.

I won't be around on Monday and this will drive me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

Does anyone know who the first guest on the show?

It was mentioned on RTE News earlier this week and I'm racking my brain to remember.
    Shanley’s prerecorded 20-minute interview with Microsoft chairman Bill Gates will be cut into two segments for Monday’s debut, “then if anyone wants to watch the full interview, it will be on News Now”, says Murnane

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0126/1224329298897.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Thanks. Fortunately a good nights sleep put the question out of my head, but it could easily have resurfaced so cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Christ! as Brendan Behan said lets hand the keys back over to the British with an apology note..

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Its a bit like an early edition of the six one news .

• Advertisement

Only caught a brief glimpse of it at the end during the gambling interview.
    I wish it the best of luck. Perhaps this is an attempt by RTÉ Television to test the water with a view towards getting up earlier and going head to head with TV3.

I think there is room for a more news and current affairs based programme between 7 and 9 without any of the recipes, parenting tips and gardening time fillers found on existing Breakfast TV shows.

But perhaps RTÉ would see it as competition against itself as Morning Ireland over on Radio 1 would most likely come under the biggest threat from such a show.

One (well two) little quibbles about the small part of Morning Edition I did see earlier. The programme title on permanant display on the bottom left hand corner of the screen is overly large and just in case you don't notice it, it pulses every few seconds to remind you what you are watching. Very annoying.

Also, why the need for the clock? Was there always a clock on the screen between 9 and 11 in the morning? If not, why have one there now? A clock is useful pre 9AM as most households are in that busy rush out the door to work or school. But for many of those who watch TV after 9, the clock is just a needless gimmick, handy only as a reminder for how long is until Dr. Phil begins.

As I said, I wish Morning Edition luck, and hope it serves as a precursor for a real breakfast TV news programme that ends rather than begins at 9AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lapin wrote: »
    But perhaps RTÉ would see it as competition against itself as Morning Ireland over on Radio 1 would most likely come under the biggest threat from such a show.

As I said, I wish Morning Edition luck, and hope it serves as a precursor for a real breakfast TV news programme that ends rather than begins at 9AM.

Morning Edition is clearly scheduled not to clash with Morning Ireland (imagination at a premium in RTE!) as for genuine breakfast telly on RTE they really are not well placed to try such an undertaking. Doing it properly takes considerable resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

There's nothing very breakfasty about it. Maybe if Keelin wore pyjamas or something ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭squonk

I haven't seen it but I wish it well. I had the misfortune to be in a doctor's waiting room a few weeks back around 11AM and the telly on the wall was tuned into TV3. I'm not sure if it was a repeat of their breakfast show or just what they normally have at that hour of the morning but it was complete and utter drivel. Mark Cagney was a presenter. In the 20 minutes I was waiting I was treated to such epic TV moments as what the ladies are wearing now that the weather is a bit colder, what the weather is doing right now on the bridge opposite the four courts and some promo OB from a ski resort. The inane banter from all and sundry really was the clincher however. Christ it made VB and Talifornia look award winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Squonk: I have removed a comment you made about Mark Cagney - pretty horrible thing to say, tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Was too lazy to get up for it but caught the abbreviated 20 minute edition on Player. I thought it odd, that in the abbreviated version, they would broadcast the tech failure of that Midlands song report as well as some other continuity flaws. Surely they would have presented the cleaner parts of the edition on the condensed Player version.

The business news presenter majorly fluffed up the currency rates (incorrectly specifying the dollar and especially the sterling rate (97 pence instead of 87 pence to the euro). The camera lingered on her as she realised her mistake without correcting it - that was a little cringey to watch.

Overall though, it seems like a good addition to RTE programming. It is clearly a news show and not a breakfast/lifestyle show. Shanley is a more than competent presenter so the show is in capable hands with her at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭squonk

Mr E wrote: »
    Squonk: I have removed a comment you made about Mark Cagney - pretty horrible thing to say, tbh...

Fair enough. I actually have a lot of time for Mark Cagney and my comment was ill advised but based on his having to anchor a show containing such rubbish driving him nuts, rather than wishing any ill will to the man. It was more a comment on the extremely low quality of the items on the show rather than something aimed at Mark himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

squonk wrote: »
    Fair enough. I actually have a lot of time for Mark Cagney and my comment was ill advised but based on his having to anchor a show containing such rubbish driving him nuts, rather than wishing any ill will to the man. It was more a comment on the extremely low quality of the items on the show rather than something aimed at Mark himself.

In fairness to Ireland AM, it is bubblegum for the brain and I don't mean that as a criticism. A lot of people who are up in the morning and rushing to get ready for work or get the kids ready for school don't want hard hitting or heavy news or drama as they will be facing enough of that for the rest of the day at work etc. Lightweight fare like Ireland AM meets that requirement. Those who prefer something more highbrow or heavy hitting can choose Morning Ireland on radio (or maybe this new Morning Edition) as well as Sky News etc.

Ireland AM is no more frothy or intense than any of the UK breakfast/lifestyle morning shows out there and has served it's niche well for 10 plus years. It's not my cup of tea either but no point in complaining about something that is never going to be my preferential choice- I'd say I've watched it less than 10 times in those 10 years but I get what it's about and a rare fair dues to TV3 rather than RTE for introducing Irish breakfast TV to Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Its an odd programme. It looks and feels like a breakfast show (if in the BBC Breakfast News mould rather than Daybreak or Ireland AM) but is airing at 9:00am, when breakfast time is finishing up. It certainly doesn't feel like daytime TV. It seems to be the breakfast show RTÉ should have made twenty years ago, but in a completely wrong timeslot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wow I know it's day 1 and all but really grainne seoige dodged a bullet on this one from the looks of it :D

Might be like wine and mature with time , but for now the 20 minute loop on rte news now channel is better than it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

icdg wrote: »
    It looks and feels like a breakfast show (if in the BBC Breakfast News mould rather than Daybreak or Ireland AM).

BBC Breakfast these days is very much like the original Breakfast Time of 1983 - it's neither that much less frothy than the offerings from ITV or TV3, nor that much more intense. ;)

It was a hard news service in the late '80s and early '90s, though, as this video demonstrates:

Having watched most of the first episode of this new show, I've only two real issues with it:

(1) The pulsating programme title that Lapin described earlier,

(2) Keelin sitting at one end of the desk - which made the handovers to other presenters, and handbacks to her, rather jarring, especially when guests were in shot. Wouldn't it make more sense for her to sit at the middle of the desk?

mike65 wrote: »
    ..........as for genuine breakfast telly on RTE they really are not well placed to try such an undertaking. Doing it properly takes considerable resources.

Would it really cost that much more to air this programme 2 hours earlier? Morning Ireland may lose a few listeners (mainly between7.30 and 8.30) but I reckon it would gain more viewers from TV3 and the UK channels. Would the extra advertising revenue resulting from those extra viewers would help cover additional costs ?

I still think Morning Edition is a kite flyer for a proper Breakfast TV news programme, and its pushing all the right buttons so far from what I've seen. And apart from that annoying title banner, I can't find much to fault it.

(2) Keelin sitting at one end of the desk - which made the handovers to other presenters, and handbacks to her, rather jarring, especially when guests were in shot. Wouldn't it make more sense for her to sit at the middle of the desk?

It does look a bit like the set up on Tonight with Vincent Browne over on TV3. In fact, when they were previewing today's papers a few minutes ago I couldn't help thinking about seeing the same papers covered in a similar manner on the VB programme. And that was 10 hours ago - Last night.

I had to have a little giggle at Hanly when introducing the American astronaut a few minutes ago. "You're the first astronaut we've ever had in this studio". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Write the death certificate for this programme now.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

AnnaStezia wrote: »
    Write the death certificate for this programme now.......

You're probably not alone in wanting Morning Edition axed so soon - but you're probably not speaking on behalf of a large number of people, either.

Just about everyone else who has posted on this thread so far is willing to give this show a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

logo is horrible, but keep on screen time, always use sky to check time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Just saw this for the first time today. It's really mundane stuff.
    Its hard to understand why RTE would see the need for a programme like this. There were a few fairly light and "fluffy" pieces sandwiched in between news updates every 30 minutes from John Finnerty. Not surprisingly the headlines did'nt change once, and the poor guy literally had to repeat himself word-for word every time!
    Pointless:rolleyes:
    I noticed some of the pieces were just re-run on the Six-one news later on.
    Begs the question, what's the point of this show exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The show is really devised for RTÉ News Now. RTÉ can't advertise on that channel and are also limited in the amount of money the can spend on RTÉ News Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Fair enough. It seems much more suitable for Rte News Now.
    So why run it on Rte1 aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

The country is simply too small to sustain a news program like this not enough happens as for world affairs there are better offerings out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mickd wrote: »
    The country is simply too small to sustain a news program like this not enough happens as for world affairs there are better offerings out there

I don't believe this to be true to be honest. Especially when you look at Some international news channels that repeat a lot of the same stuff over and over again. I agree that RTÉ should provide at least one world news programme, even if it is provided by another news service.

But last week we had the Horse meat problem and the Anglo Irish deal, so for a small country there was huge amount to talk about. But news is like that you have weeks when nothing happens.
    Fair enough. It seems much more suitable for Rte News Now.
    So why run it on Rte1 aswell?

They are budgeting the show from RTÉ One rather then from News Now and RTÉ One also carries advertising.

Advertisement