Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Breakfast Show - Morning Edition

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Just seen it for the first time-what a waste of Keelin Shanley's talent and ability.
    She was reading newspaper headlines such as the plot of "Love/Hate" about someone coming back to life after a gun attack....and last week she had a fascinating report on Prime Time concerning drug use in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just seen it for the first time-what a waste of Keelin Shanley's talent and ability.
    She was reading newspaper headlines such as the plot of "Love/Hate" about someone coming back to life after a gun attack....and last week she had a fascinating report on Prime Time concerning drug use in Ireland.

They need to mix her Prime Time report in with Morning Edition even if it might not be for morning view. Just notice it's only on until 10:30?? On a day off now for a repeat of As Time Goes By. Get the **** up elmo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Bump!

As Morning Edition takes a break for the summer, it looks like interest in it has all but disappeared.

Not at all surprising, seeing as it's exactly the same as it was when it started five months ago...

The programme title at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen hasn't stopped pulsating, Keelin hasn't been moved from the left end of the desk, the handovers to other presenters and handbacks to her haven't been made any more comfortable - and even the times of the regular items haven't been changed.

The impression I get is that everyone involved has just been going through the motions - pretty much unwilling to take even the smallest, cost-free risks...

And I can't see that impression changing much - or interest growing again - when the show returns in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

somebody is watching it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Keelin is good, the programme is decent enough, but the biggest problem is the scheduling.

There just isn't an audience for a mid morning/late breakfast extended news show. The thinking seems to be "We want a Breakfast News TV Show, but we can't have it on opposite Morning Ireland. So we'll put it on afterwards."

They should broadcast the show from 7-9 a.m. and go head to head with the Radio, it might even give Morning Ireland a kick up the arse.

• Advertisement

multicast multicast multicast

Skid X wrote: »
    There just isn't an audience for a mid morning/late breakfast extended news show. The thinking seems to be "We want a Breakfast News TV Show, but we can't have it on opposite Morning Ireland. So we'll put it on afterwards."

And they probably don't give a toss that the BBC have been more than happy to have a breakfast news TV show opposite Radio 4's Today programme for 30 years... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They should broadcast the show from 7-9 a.m. and go head to head with the Radio, it might even give Morning Ireland a kick up the arse.

And it would offer proper competition to Ireland AM in that slot, too.

But, as I said, I can't see much changing when it returns from its summer break...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Keelin is good, the programme is decent enough, but the biggest problem is the scheduling.

Unions won't let them was always the excuse/reason as to why RTE never had a morning tv offering.

The service would involve 5.30am starts and that represented a change in work practices according to SIPTU.

Last time they tried it RTE management was insistent on tying the introduction of TV self-editing technology to the launch of breakfast TV, a move to which SIPTU in particular had objections - that was a long time ago now.

There were also rows involving NUJ and SIPTU over early starts, lengths of shifts, rostering and staffing levels.

Bump again!

So, what has changed on the show since my last post?

The answer is the exact same as the one to Edwin Starr's question about war. :( :rolleyes:

Yes, Morning Edition has now been on the air one year - and still the timetable is in original condition, still Keelin sits at the left end of the desk, still the programme title pulsates at the bottom of the screen, et cetera et cetera... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If the producers and editors (which include the otherwise respectable Anthony Murnane) are so unwilling to make even the slightest alteration to the show, then to use a cliché, why are they even bothering?

That said, Keelin does seem to enjoy presenting it - and one can't fault her for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bump again!

So, what has changed on the show since my last pos
    The answer is the exact same as the one to Edwin Starr's question about war. :( :rolleyes:

Yes, Morning Edition has now been on the air one year - and still the timetable is in original condition, still Keelin sits at the left end of the desk, still the programme title pulsates at the bottom of the screen, et cetera et cetera... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If the producers and editors (which include the otherwise respectable Anthony Murnane) are so unwilling to make even the slightest alteration to the show, then to use a cliché, why are they even bothering?

That said, Keelin does seem to enjoy presenting it - and one can't fault her for that.

Surely its main plus point is that its not Ireland AM. So much more watchable for the 15mins i have in the morning.

• Advertisement

Surely its main plus point is that its not Ireland AM. So much more watchable for the 15mins i have in the morning.

That and Keelin are probably the only plus points about the show. :(

I'm not sure whether or not RTE actually want to compete with Sinead, Alan, Mark and Aidan - but even if they don't, that still doesn't mean that it's right to let Morning Edition plod away without making the tiniest change to any part of it...

As I said before, I think the unanswered question is why is the programme on from 9am-11am?

It has never been a 'hard news' slot on Television. I think RTE don't want to go head to head with Morning Ireland on Radio 1.

It seems like a decent enough programme but I've never heard anyone talking about it. They should either move it to 7-9 or 12-2 (where they could call it Afternoon Edition, or something).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

I have never seen it. May I just say, anything is better than 'Young Doctors' or 'Flying Doctors' or 'Shortland Street' repeats, which as I recall is all that time slot offered.

As I said before, I think the unanswered question is why is the programme on from 9am-11am?

It has never been a 'hard news' slot on Television. I think RTE don't want to go head to head with Morning Ireland on Radio 1.

It seems like a decent enough programme but I've never heard anyone talking about it. They should either move it to 7-9 or 12-2 (where they could call it Afternoon Edition, or something).

So RTE seemingly don't want to compete with Ireland AM, and they seemingly don't want to lose any of their precious Morning Ireland listeners to their own first TV channel... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(And again, "Do we look like we give a fúq about how the BBC goes about this time of the day?" :rolleyes:)

It doesn't look like they give a fúq, either, about how many people talk about the show. If they did, then surely they'd want plenty of people to talk about it - for the right reasons, of course - and thus they'd be willing to make changes to it as required...

As for why it's on from 9-11? It's quite likely that they feel that no other slot suits them better.

Any earlier, and it clashes with Cathal Mac Coille and co. 10-12 or 11-1, and "It's too close to the One O'Clock News - and also what do we do with Dr Phil, Shortland Street, Doctors and Telly Bingo?" 12-2 or 1-3, and "Then we have to get rid of the One O'Clock News - and also what do we do with the Australian soaps, the EastEnders and Fair City repeats, and Today?"

Ah, the mindsets of the folks at Montrose... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

I presume they'll let Morning Edition trudge on until the summer - and if they bring it back again in the autumn, it'll still be trudging, with the start time still 9am, the programme title still pulsating, Keelin still sitting at the left end of the desk, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Is there any viewing figures for Morning edition. I imagine they would be low as I don't know anybody that watches television at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Is it really true that the reason it's not on at, like 6am is the RTE TV Unions wont work that early?

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Is it really true that the reason it's not on at, like 6am is the RTE TV Unions wont work that early?

No, that's a myth.

Grainne Seoige said that in an interview once and made enemies of the RTE Production team

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/furious-rte-staff-hit-back-at-grainne-after-stars-workshy-jibes-27990067.html

Incidentally, RTE had a pilot Breakfast TV Show way back in 1984 (during the Los Angeles Olympics). Michael Lyster and Moya Doherty were the presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

No, that's a myth.

Grainne Seoige said that in an interview once and made enemies of the RTE Production team

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/furious-rte-staff-hit-back-at-grainne-after-stars-workshy-jibes-27990067.html

Incidentally, RTE had a pilot Breakfast TV Show way back in 1984 (during the Los Angeles Olympics). Michael Lyster and Moya Doherty were the presenters.

Wow, I wonder is that why she's not getting much work.

Would love to see Michael Lyster do something non-sporting. He always comes across as the type of lad you'd happily drink pints with.

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Wow, I wonder is that why she's not getting much work.

Would love to see Michael Lyster do something non-sporting. He always comes across as the type of lad you'd happily drink pints with.

I remember an interview with Michael a while back. He said for a while he was the 'flavour of the month' in RTE and he got asked to present all sorts of programmes, including the Irish Disco Dancing Championships !

He was smart enough to realise that RTE have a tendency to lose interest in those type of presenters very quickly, so he should stop trying to be a 'Jack of all trades'. He got involved in The Sunday Game soon afterwards and has been there ever since.

But as you said, he has a great personality and it would be interesting to see him do something different (maybe another Breakfast Show!). Although he has some health problems recently so maybe he's happy enough doing the Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

No, that's a myth.

Myth or not it certainly used to be the case.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-sleeps-out-breakfast-television-call-26139581.html

• Advertisement

Morning Edition has been dropped by RTE.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/shock-as-rte-axes-current-affairs-programme-morning-edition-30721069.html
    Staff working on the programme, which is presented by Keelin Shanley, were told it would not be returning to the RTE One schedule next January.

It’s understood staff were told the news this morning by RTE’s current affairs boss Kevin Bakhurst.

An email was then circulated amongst staff telling officially telling them the news.

It seemed like a decent enough programme that very few people watched.

@TodaySOR Today with Sean O'Rourke tweets clips of the show during the rest of the day in case you missed them, Morning Edition didn't bother.

sometimes will listen back to a clip of SOR im interested in, always forget Morning Edition exists

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Should have started at 7am not 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Morning Edition has been dropped by RTE.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/shock-as-rte-axes-current-affairs-programme-morning-edition-30721069.html

It seemed like a decent enough programme that very few people watched.

It was a shame, but everyone was out of the house and in traffic before the lads got into the studio by the looks of things....

And to think TV3's offerings will be delighted with themselves thinking they will have blasted it out of the air despite funding excuses....Ms. Shanley is a great presenter....worth more than ten of the woeful TV3 offerings...

It was a shame, but everyone was out of the house and in traffic before the lads got into the studio by the looks of things....

And to think TV3's offerings will be delighted with themselves thinking they will have blasted it out of the air despite funding excuses....Ms. Shanley is a great presenter....worth more than ten of the woeful TV3 offerings...

and she's going to host RTE Late Debate on the Radio http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-axes-morning-edition-after-two-years-1.1989179 which is good cos I don't like the current guy

Elmo wrote: »
    Should have started at 7am not 9am.

As I said back in February:
    So RTE seemingly don't want to compete with Ireland AM, and they seemingly don't want to lose any of their precious Morning Ireland listeners to their own first TV channel... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(And again, "Do we look like we give a fúq about how the BBC goes about this time of the day?" :rolleyes:)

As for why it's on from 9-11? It's quite likely that they feel that no other slot suits them better.

Any earlier, and it clashes with Cathal Mac Coille and co. 10-12 or 11-1, and "It's too close to the One O'Clock News - and also what do we do with Dr Phil, Shortland Street, Doctors and Telly Bingo?" 12-2 or 1-3, and "Then we have to get rid of the One O'Clock News - and also what do we do with the Australian soaps, the EastEnders and Fair City repeats, and Today?"

It must be said, though, that the show's cause really wasn't helped by the unwillingness of the producers and editors to make even the smallest changes to it.

Of the few changes they have made, perhaps the biggest one is displaying the schedule at the start of each episode on the big screen in the studio, so Keelin can stay in vision as she runs through it:

skxshw.jpg

But still she sits at the left end of the desk - and this resulted in a very awkward and jarring shot back in June, shortly before the show took its summer break.

Justin Treacy had just finished reading the sports news, and he and Keelin were having a brief sports-related conversation before she handed over to John Finnerty for the headlines. She was sitting close to the camera, with her back to it (so the shot was almost from her point of view); Justin was standing at the opposite end of the studio - and John was sitting right between the two, looking down at the desk and clearly not getting involved in the conversation in any way... :o:o:o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perhaps if the producers and editors had been a bit more dynamic, and perhaps if the bosses had taken the plunge and put the show on at the same time as Morning Ireland, then it might be doing pretty well now - possibly even giving Ireland AM a run for its money.

Instead, it's being consigned to history. At least it hasn't done Keelin's reputation any harm at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Nail on head as usual Harvey my 'ol buddie...GSW xxx :)

Advertisement