Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski lessons for kids in France

Options
  • 05-01-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hoping for some help here please. I am hoping to go skiing in Les Gets or Morzine from February 1-6. I have two kids aged 4 and 6. They have both never skied before and I want to put them into the same ski class. Will any ski schools take both into the same class or will they be split up into the 3-5 and 5-7 groups?

Also would anyone recommend decent accommodation in either area. I know it's only a few weeks away and we have left it late but it's a last minute decision to go skiing again after 7 years away from the slopes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Hi

I'd recommend both the Hotel le Grand Tetras, and the Alpen Roc hotel in Morzine - the Alpen Roc is close to the lifts and the more comfortable of the two, but I'd think it is also the more expensive.

The Grand Tetras is a little more basic but the rooms are clean and warm and the food is amazing, it's also quite reasonably priced. The main drawback is it's a 10 minute walk from the main gondola, which might be a bit of a challenge at the end of the day with two young kids, otherwise I'd recommend it over the Alpen Roc.

There is a ski school for kids, just beside the main goldola, I don't know if they would take both kids in the same class, I'm also not sure who runs it, but it's right opposite the ESF office, so it might be them.

Enjoy! Morzine is lovely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kayakswimkayak

Thanks for the reply. Both of those hotels are booked out. We are looking at maybe Chamonix too as there seems to be more accommodation available there. We would take something self catering too. The main problem though is the kids ski lessons. If we can't guarantee at least that we can get lessons (ideally together) for both kids we won't be going. Too much money to spend on a holiday to just stay minding the youngest for a week. We want to ski ourselves for a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Thanks for the reply. Both of those hotels are booked out. We are looking at maybe Chamonix too as there seems to be more accommodation available there. We would take something self catering too. The main problem though is the kids ski lessons. If we can't guarantee at least that we can get lessons (ideally together) for both kids we won't be going. Too much money to spend on a holiday to just stay minding the youngest for a week. We want to ski ourselves for a bit!

Did you contact the hotels directly, or did you use a booking engine? If the latter, try contacting them directly.

Speaking as a parent there's no way I'd consider a trip to Chamonix with young kids. Most of the ski areas are a fairly long (20 min +) bus trip away and at the end of the day your tired kids will face long queues to get on the packed buses, followed by a sweaty uncomfortable 20 min journey, then the hike from the bus to the hotel - that's a formula for disaster right there (maybe yours are better behaved than mine though!).

There is one ski area within walking distance of Chamonix town but the gondola to access it is up a steep hill outside the town.

I'd have thought Chamonix would be more geared at experienced skiers/boarders, not learners.

There is a nice hotel there, the Hotel Prieure, which is close to a bus stop and close to the local ski area (you still have a hefty uphill trek though) and also close to the town.

That's good to know about Chamonix. We'll avoid there so. We have never skied in France before and a friend recommended Les Gets, Morzine and Flaine to me as I don't want to book a package trip with the early flights there and back. Nightmare dragging your kids out of bed at 3am to get on a bus home with no breakfast. So flying to Geneva (at nice times of the day) is the preferred option at the moment and trying to get somewhere close to there. The main problem though is the lessons. Can't seem to find anywhere to take both of them and if we have to split them up we need somewhere that will take himself (4) for the 4/5 hours to let us get on the slopes.

Forgot to answer your question! I went through the hotel websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Hoping for some help here please. I am hoping to go skiing in Les Gets or Morzine from February 1-6. I have two kids aged 4 and 6. They have both never skied before and I want to put them into the same ski class. Will any ski schools take both into the same class or will they be split up into the 3-5 and 5-7 groups?

Also would anyone recommend decent accommodation in either area. I know it's only a few weeks away and we have left it late but it's a last minute decision to go skiing again after 7 years away from the slopes.

Care to share with us your eventual plan with the kids and how it went?

Thanks

666bxg wrote: »
    Care to share with us your eventual plan with the kids and how it went?

Thanks

No problem. I intended doing so after the trip. Due to work issues we couldn't go this week and have instead booked for March 1st. A good friend had recommended doing the DIY option (he has been to Flaine, Les Gets and Morzine a lot). One of the main reasons for this was because we didn't want to be dragging a 4 and 6 year old out of bed at 3am for the flights over and back which was happening with the initial inquiries we were making with the package companies. So we are now flying to and from Geneva at nice times. Because we changed our dates there was very little availability in accommodation. We got lucky though when I found a chalet on ownersdirect.co.uk which is owned and run by an Irish couple in Les Gets. They gave us a great price because we had the two young kids and it is fully catered (3 meals a day with a glass of wine in the evening!) and it is 5 mins walk to the village. They arranged our transfers from Geneva and they will drop us down to the village and collect us each day. They also arranged for our skis to be delivered to the chalet where the ski hire company will fit us. I checked prices and the transfers and ski arrangement are not dearer than if we did it ourselves so they aren't charging us a premium for the service. And there is a hot tub in the chalet!!

I got the kids booked into ski school with ecoledeski360 who will put the two of them together initially but they may need to be split after a day or two. They are booked in only for 2 1/2 hours in the mornings and I booked kindergarten for them for the afternoon so they will get to do arts and crafts and a bit of play time. That is with the ESF. It means they are sorted from 9-1130 and 2-5. We will lunch together and we get 5 1/2 hours free time to get some skiing in. Can't wait. The ski school cost 169 per kid (340). The kindergarten cost 125 per kid (250). The flights cost 580 including two check-in bags. The chalet and transfers cost (1560) but it's good value as we would have had to fork out a few hundred euro on grub anyway and it's just after mid-term so prices are that bit dearer anyway. So total so far we have paid out is around 2,730 plus 101 ski school deposit. Just the balance of ski school, ski hire and ski passes to be paid over there. It will be under 3,500 which is less than I would have expected to pay. When we initially floated the idea a year or two ago we were looking at (but couldn't afford) some companies who organise the fully catered chalet thing at prices way in excess of 5k. Hope there is enough detail there for you 666bxg........

Thank you indeed for that! We are in a similar predicament and would like to hear of your plans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I would split the kids from day one! Big difference in trying to teach a 4 year old v a 6 year old trust me I have thought thousands of them how to ski

Thank you indeed for that! We are in a similar predicament and would like to hear of your plans

I'll let you know how we get on. Where are you thinking of going yourself? Or are you like me making the plans for years before taking the plunge!!?? It's not cheap going skiing but we love it.

• Advertisement

Fattes wrote: »
    I would split the kids from day one! Big difference in trying to teach a 4 year old v a 6 year old trust me I have thought thousands of them how to ski

I know you are right but we are afraid the 4 year old wouldn't like being dumped on his own. After the first day he'll be grand and they can split them then. They told me they probably would anyway. Nervous parents!!

I'll let you know how we get on. Where are you thinking of going yourself? Or are you like me making the plans for years before taking the plunge!!?? It's not cheap going skiing but we love it.

Very close to pulling the trigger to going to La Rosiére for March after hearing how child friendly the place is. Can't avoid the long transfers but at least the flights to Chambery are not too early. One of the few resorts with a commendable ESF teaching facility for kids - so will see how it goes.

I know you are right but we are afraid the 4 year old wouldn't like being dumped on his own. After the first day he'll be grand and they can split them then. They told me they probably would anyway. Nervous parents!!

They will be fine, the 4 year old will do well to ski for 2 -3 hours a day! So be prepared for an early finish or have a nanny on hand!

Very close to pulling the trigger to going to La Rosiére for March after hearing how child friendly the place is. Can't avoid the long transfers but at least the flights to Chambery are not too early. One of the few resorts with a commendable ESF teaching facility for kids - so will see how it goes.

Heard that place was good for kids but once we made our mind up to head to the Les Gets area we didn't look much further afield. Hope you have as much luck booking as we did in the end. I'll tell you what it was like when we get back.

Fattes wrote: »
    They will be fine, the 4 year old will do well to ski for 2 -3 hours a day! So be prepared for an early finish or have a nanny on hand!

We thought that alright so the Premiere Glisse lesson is only 2.5 hrs each day. If he only lasts 2 hrs we wont be far away. No skiing for them in the afternoon so they should enjoy that break and we will get a decent few runs in. Ease them into it on the first few holidays, fingers crossed there will be more than one!!

Generally kids that age will last 3-5 hours the 4 year old will last no more than 4 hours including lunch on a good day!

I'm sure they will enjoy the fun and games together in the afternoon. They better or one of us won't be skiing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

I'm sure they will enjoy the fun and games together in the afternoon. They better or one of us won't be skiing!!

They will if they don't see you! Don't show your face until you're ready to pick them up, even if they're having a great time, soon as they see you they'll want to go with you ;-)

I can't believe what has happened. My 6 year old was pushed over in school today and has fractured her arm/wrist. Not a bad fracture (no surgery required) but she can't do ski lessons for sure and we were due to travel Sunday morning. We had her booked in for ESF Kindergarten for the afternoons but don't think they would take her with a cast. Anyone have any answers? If she can't do the afternoon stuff we will have to cancel the holiday. #guttedbeyondbelief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

AAAARGH that's terrible, such awful timing- sorry to hear!! Phone them tomorrow and ask. I'd say they'll take her with a cast as long as she's not on skis, just make sure she has plenty to keep her occupied in the afternoons, and something to keep her casted hand and arm warm. You'll need to buy lots of tops in a much bigger size to accommodate the bulk of the cast though-get thee to Penneys!! And if you can at all, GO! Even if you only get to do the bare minimum of skiing. These things happen :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I can't believe what has happened. My 6 year old was pushed over in school today and has fractured her arm/wrist. Not a bad fracture (no surgery required) but she can't do ski lessons for sure and we were due to travel Sunday morning. We had her booked in for ESF Kindergarten for the afternoons but don't think they would take her with a cast. Anyone have any answers? If she can't do the afternoon stuff we will have to cancel the holiday. #guttedbeyondbelief

Talk to the couple who run the chalet, if you are staying with who I think you are then they will help you out if anything can be done.

Bogwoppit

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Talk to the couple who run the chalet, if you are staying with who I think you are then they will help you out if anything can be done.

Bogwoppit

Dave and Suzi.....

ESF will take her with the cast for the Kindergarten so that's something. At least we are still going so we won't start ringing the Samaritans just yet. Thanks for your tips and advice fannymagee. We will take each morning as it comes and see what skiing we can get done. I'm hopeful we might get some mornings in too if we can get her minded.

Dave and Suzi.....

I was with them a couple of weeks ago, they'll go above and beyond if they think it will help.

I was with them a couple of weeks ago, they'll go above and beyond if they think it will help.

Thanks for the message. Have you stayed there a before or just the once? Have only spoken to Suzi on the phone and am really looking forward to staying with them. Can't wait.

Thanks for the message. Have you stayed there before or just the once? Have only spoken to Suzi on the phone and am really looking forward to staying with them. Can't wait.

I've been with them a few times, they are really good people. Very friendly and genuine.
    It's a shame about the cast but dave and Suz will help you if they can, if they can't help then they'll be honest and tell you straight up.
    There is lots to do apart from skiing in the area, bus to Morzine, hike up mont cherie for lunch, they'll have lots of suggestions.

That is good to hear again. We will try one or two of your suggestions to fill the mornings. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Definitely make sure you get to Mont Chery for lunch. Find out what day they're doing pig roast, if they're still doing it. It's tasty! They also did a dinner where you go up in a snow-cat and eat overlooking the town. Not sure if that's still on the go, either, and not sure if it'd be kid-friendly.

Les gets is a great town for families. I spent a season there a few years ago and I'm pretty sure I know who you're staying with - although they didn't visit our pub all that often. I'm pretty sure I did see Dave out and about the odd time, seemed like a nice enough chap.

• Advertisement

We had planned on going to La Grande Ourse at the end of the week (the roast is on Sundays so we couldn't make that) but with the daughter unable to ski we can't get there as we need to get a cable car up and a chair lift and ski down to it (I think). I know that there is some form of collection for evening meals up there but we are sorted for evenings in the chalet.

Finding stuff to do in the mornings (for girl with broken arm) is proving troublesome. First day today was spent walking around in the rain trying to figure out what was available to entertain a six year old. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some good news. At least we got to ski this afternoon which was great!

Advertisement