Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DART capacity reconfiguration

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

IR would have a lot more money if they actually collected the fares. I have witnessed many occasion of fare evasion, in full view of staff who did nothing to correct the situation (well its not their job). What is needed is more inspectors. There between none and not very many on the Dart service that I have seen (and by not very many, I mean none).

Either they enforce ticket compliance by making it difficult to evade or adopt the Luas system and have very frequent inspections on trains, so evaders get caught - including fraudulent use of the free-travel pass).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Infini2 wrote: »
    From my understanding of the issue its related to the fact that drivers are meant to be drivers not maintenance.

It is nothing of the sort. Checking that the train is safe before putting it into service is not maintenance. In any case, this is petulant sulking by the unions. Of course, they'll be along soon to tell us how checking doors it the thin end of the wedge, a race to the bottom, undermining their working conditions, blah blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I wonder will this issue be sorted by evening rush hour? Mind you pretty much every dart to the Northside in the evening is only 4 carriages anyway so I probably won't notice a difference.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

markpb wrote: »
    It is nothing of the sort. Checking that the train is safe before putting it into service is not maintenance. In any case, this is petulant sulking by the unions. .

The thing here is that the drivers take on the train from Maintenance on the premise that it's fit for purpose having been correctly serviced by qualified staff. While door and brake tests are carried out in traffic, this specifc test is being performed by a driver who isn't qualified to service or test the train when out of traffic and when the train isn't his responsibility. If the worst happened and the doors failed in service, who is responsible; the mechanic or the driver? Who signs off on the test?

For the record, I agree that it is petulent stuff but it's an issue that should have been sorted out before it came to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Pilots always do pre-flight checks. Why shouldn't train drivers do pre-departure checks?

Or is this the only one they're being asked to do?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Pilots always do pre-flight checks. Why shouldn't train drivers do pre-departure checks?

Or is this the only one they're being asked to do?

Train drivers do pre departure tests as well. The tests in question are done as part of train servicing prior to it carrying passengers; it's akin to a pilot doing a pre flight check whilst in the hangar and not the departure gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Train drivers do pre departure tests as well. The tests in question are done as part of train servicing prior to it carrying passengers; it's akin to a pilot doing a pre flight check whilst in the hangar and not the departure gate.

I think you will find pre flight checks are taken at departure gates especially by pilots. Aircraft only visit the hanger certain times in there checks schedule unless there is a problem that requires parts to be fitted which can't be carried out at the gate. There is no justification for this action by the drivers and this is also clear within the union who won't even comment on it as to why its happening publicly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do bus drivers check their vehicle before driving off? How do lorry drivers handle the trailer part of the artic - or is that what the helper is for?

How many Dart drivers are there? 50, 60, 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

The current standoff between SIPTU and IE is on the issue of coupler integrity tests. Over the last few months a couple of incidents have arisen where 2 or more EMU's have departed stations with doors open. The blue interlock light a driver gets when all doors are closed allows drivers to be sure all doors are locked before traction power can be taken. If the interlock light is not illuminated then traction power is not available. With 2 or more EMU's coupled then the leading unit gets a constant reading from all other units in the consist that is known as being "train lined". The current coupler problem means that the driver of a multiple EMU may get a blue interlock light in their leading unit but the signal travelling through the coupler is not being detected properly and doors on other units in the consist may not be closed therefore the consist is not "train lined" . If the leading unit has an interlock light and the electrical signal is not travelling correctly through the coupler heads then the leading unit may be able to take traction power with doors open on other units of the consist which has obvious safety implications. Drivers have no objection in carrying out any sort of pre departure tests on their trains but what happens if the problem arises out the line after pre departure check have been carried out and all is found to be ok in the depot. Drivers tests are a belts and braces approach they are a double check of the tests maintenance have carried out. Because IE are short on funds maintenance personal have been cut back so therefore less people with the same amount of work. Eventually something has to give. At the end of the day the driver is solely responsible for the train and people aboard it. Why should a person put themselves at risk of falling afoul of the Railway Safety Act 2005 and ending up in prison for 10 years with deaths on their hands because of IE not making sure that the trains they run are safe and sound. Going further on what other problems are lurking underneath the surface with the safety of our train. If a driver cant even trust the integrity of the holy grail of train safety, the blue interlock light , then we as a travelling public are in some bother. In my opinion this is like a pilot taking off knowing the door at the front is closed but not being to sure about the rear door. By drivers completing these tests it kicks the can down the road for IE and the onus is off them to correct this vitally important safety system quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

^^ Paragraphs are you friend. Don't ignore them.

Darts are partially back to normal apparently: http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4929&p=116&n=237

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I think you will find pre flight checks are taken at departure gates especially by pilots. Aircraft only visit the hanger certain times in there checks schedule unless there is a problem that requires parts to be fitted which can't be carried out at the gate.

Not while the plane is being repaired or signed out, they don't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

If a driver cant even trust the integrity of the holy grail of train safety, the blue interlock light , then we as a travelling public are in some bother.

Erm... but he can just renew his trust by walking down his train and checking the last cab. This sounds more like a SIPTU stunt to get more money than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Hungerford wrote: »
    Erm... but he can just renew his trust by walking down his train and checking the last cab. This sounds more like a SIPTU stunt to get more money than anything else.

So walk down the train at every stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Would SIPTU prefer the maintenance people walk down at every stop?

From what I understand their complaint is not about safety, but about who does that particular task.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

It's a once-off check prior to the train entering service.

• Advertisement

Not while the plane is being repaired or signed out, they don't ;)

In many cases repairs are carried out while pilots are doing checks and pax boarding. It just depends on the nature of the problem. Most tech problems are so minor they are done within minutes. Anyway plane and train are very different.

There is CCTV view at the end of platforms so drivers could easily see if doors are open and this isn't a long term thing for them do. If the train software is being updated it will take some time. There was no need for the mess this morning. You would expect this carry on from the NBRU not other unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What I don't understand is that go to Connolly station at any time of any day and within an hour or so you will see drivers of the 22k and 29s sets splitting and coupling sets no problem at all, it's standard practice, what makes DART drivers above Commuter and Intercity drivers. 22k drivers actually have to carry out more checks like the coupler door and extension and retraction of the coupler itself.

This is like the mess 10 years ago when DART drivers wanted more money when the DART sets went from 6 to 8 cars. Should they all take a pay cut now as they have to drive 2 and 4 car sets, I think not. Time for DART drivers to have Luas style conditions, there are plenty of people out there that would be more than happy to have their job for their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

QUOTE=Captain Chaos;87019183]Time for DART drivers to have Luas style conditions[/QUOTE]
    not at all, if such conditions came in and i was a driver i'd take redundantsy before i'd take such conditions
    there are plenty of people out there that would be more than happy to have their job for their money.
    no, they would claim they would do it for less, however i'd believe that to be the case for a foreign national but not for an irish person from my experience, many wouldn't last 1 minute before they would start moaning how "its to hard" the "their are others who would be glad of the job" doesn't work, it says that people should just take whatever and not stand up for themselves, which frankly will eventually allow a race to the bottom.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

But the other point I made still stands, what makes DART drivers so special with regards to splitting and joining sets over 22 or 29 drivers. It's not like a 201 coupling up to an Enterprise set, that is maintenance as it's not a simple process and requires some hands on work to do.

If I acted like DART drivers do in the few jobs I've had and do have right now, public and private sector I'd be sacked on the spot and replaced. The amount of waste and "thats not my job" in the public sector jobs was unreal and the amount slackers get away with and can't be sacked for it. I'm in the private sector now and it's far better, the slackers are sacked and the people who want to work are rewarded and are better to work with as a result as you don't have to carry slackers around with you all day.

But the other point I made still stands, what makes DART drivers so special with regards to splitting and joining sets over 22 or 29 drivers. It's not like a 201 coupling up to an Enterprise set, that is maintenance as it's not a simple process and requires some hands on work to do.
    by the sounds of it their working on what they have been told by the unions, that this coupling isn't part of their job description, nothing to do with thinking their special over other drivers, being honest it would be better if it was a maintenance job but by the sounds of it this job was put on the drivers without any discussion, commuter and ICR drivers are fine with it while dart drivers are being cautious and going on the advice of their union, i'm sure it will be sorted quickly and the dart drivers will take over doing the job unless IE have maintenance do it instead

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

8 carriage DART just arrived at Connolly heading to Malahide... I assume this doesn't count as peak time?!

dregin wrote: »
    8 carriage DART just arrived at Connolly heading to Malahide... I assume this doesn't count as peak time?!

always extra capacity on Wednesday afternoon as many schools have half days.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Ridiculous carry on im currently on an 8 carriage dart heading to bray, I realise schools have half days but the dart is not exactly packed. How many times a week do the darts actually form a 2 or 4 carriage set because if they extend the sets for every little reason and no 2 carriage sets on a weekend, how much money are IE actually going to save from this failed project of theirs? Next there will be 8 car sets for the tiddley winks championships....

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    always extra capacity on Wednesday afternoon as many schools have half days.

Today's actually Tuesday, Jamie :pac:

There is an international at the Aviva this evening so extra capacity will be needed before and after the game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

There is an international at the Aviva this evening so extra capacity will be needed before and after the game.

You've seen the Irish football team play lately, right? :p

Indeed it is, the worst day of the week!

dregin wrote: »
    You've seen the Irish football team play lately, right? :p

Nope and I don't intend to start tonight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

lxflyer wrote: »
    Most of my knowledge frankly comes from sitting down and looking at timetables off my own bat, analysing how the timetables appear to be built up, and trying to figure out how they are integrated (in other words what bus or train does which service). The recent publication of full timetables on the Transport for Ireland website is a goldmine of information for someone such as myself. It is something that I really enjoy doing.

An awful lot else comes from observation - I don't drive so I use public transport every day to go everywhere - you can build up a significant amount of information from doing that.

I also get updates for any media articles on public transport every day - that keeps me abreast of what is in the public arena.

I would also have a large amount of anecdotal information from just simply talking to staff when I'm out and about - while you will get a certain amount of "dud information" that way it's often surprising what you can learn. That, for example, together with my own observations, was how I knew that there were no 2-car DARTs out at the weekend. I rarely use anything that I learn anecdotally without confirming it from my own observations - I make a point of going out and about to see how things operate.

As a customer I have made, and I continue to make, regular constructive submissions to all of the transport companies based on my experiences - and yes of course that means that as a result I also manage to learn how things work. I am a firm believer in being pro-active and thankfully over the years this has meant that I have managed to get many small things changed, be it for example from the installation of bus stops at particular locations, to minor changes in timetables, correction of errors on the websites.

The point that I am trying to get across is that over 25 years I have managed, through my own analytical work in my spare time, from my own daily experiences, and from anecdotal information that I have gained, to build up what I would consider to be an exceptionally good understanding of how things work, or indeed how they don't. I actively do constructively engage with all of the companies if I see something that needs addressing. But, and it is a huge but, does not make me a "vehicle" for their viewpoints.

I'm a passionate advocate of public transport and it's development, and it's something I firmly believe in. As someone with a financial background, I also understand the cost impact of doing/not doing things. As someone who has worked in companies where significant cost reduction programmes had to be implemented, I understand the difficulties that the companies face, that many people don't even consider. I am also I believe pragmatic, in that I understand that getting changes through is something that generally takes time and considerable patience!

All of this means I can give something of an educated view of how our public transport services work or not.

It does NOT mean that I am an employee or am behoven to any organisation. Frankly I think that those sort of suggestions insult my intelligence.

You dont need to justify yourself to anyone on here Lxflyer. Your posts are your own and it matters not as to who you may or not work for or how you get your info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You dont need to justify yourself to anyone on here Lxflyer. Your posts are your own and it matters not as to who you may or not work for or how you get your info.

Bit sensitive Hilly Bill. It still stands that this "dispute" was absolutely rediculous and a gross example of how wrong the culture is within CIE. Discuss that with a straight face instead of contributing very weak contributions and please do it without reporting posts. The usual motley crew of pro IE posters were laid very low when this story broke. I wonder was it a case of letting the likes of me and others shoot our load in order for you guys to roll in and get us banned for stuff that doesn't suit the agenda. Over to you. I'd love to listen to your take on what happened.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Bit sensitive Hilly Bill. It still stands that this "dispute" was absolutely rediculous and a gross example of how wrong the culture is within CIE. Discuss that with a straight face instead of contributing very weak contributions and please do it without reporting posts. The usual motley crew of pro IE posters were laid very low when this story broke. I wonder was it a case of letting the likes of me and others shoot our load in order for you guys to roll in and get us banned for stuff that doesn't suit the agenda. Over to you. I'd love to listen to your take on what happened.

What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

as long as it is correct (and I'm not saying it isn't :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

What are you on about?

Hilly Bill

My apologies for ignoring you, I had really forgotten about this post despite it being very important to me when I posted it. I'll break it down for you bit by bit.
    Bit sensitive Hilly Bill.

I was merely expressing an opinion that your defence of another poster was an example of you being sensitive because you had a soft spot for said poster. IMO.
    It still stands that this "dispute" was absolutely rediculous and a gross example of how wrong the culture is within CIE. Discuss that with a straight face instead of contributing very weak contributions and please do it without reporting posts.

I thought this was rather obvious and expected you to give your opinion on it and without reporting my post. (you do know that this kind of thing of reporting posts is rampant around here, when one feels a poster is being singled out. Not that I'm singling you out or accusing you of reporting my post.)

The usual motley crew of pro IE posters were laid very low when this story broke. I wonder was it a case of letting the likes of me and others shoot our load in order for you guys to roll in and get us banned for stuff that doesn't suit the agenda.

Without doubt there is a very valid history of anti IE posters getting reported and subsequently banned or infracted on this forum. My point here was in relation to being surprised that the usual (and that is not unfair) pro IE posters did not row in on this topic when DART drivers decided to act the goat. Subsequently I felt that if IE critics did get stuck in, there would be a frenzy of the usual reported posts and subsequent bans and infractions.
    Over to you. I'd love to listen to your take on what happened.

I merely wanted to hear what you thought of the temporary dispute.

Now if I may take you up on one particular point that I didn't previously comment on and its directly related to your defence of lxflyer. I have absolutely no problem with lxflyer and this is directed at your comment.

You did not apply that logic or opinion when you publically challenged me to PM you in relation to my opinion on the demise of Fastrack. You actively challenged what I said and most certainly did not accept that my posts were "my own" or how "I got my info". I love consistency. You clearly don't do consistency in your posts.

Why have you taken a post not directed at you personal? I find it a bit strange and over the top.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Mod warning:

Read the charter -- don't post again without doing so.

Cut out the personal attacks. Focus on points and not other posters / personalities.

Discussion carried out via PM is your business and is not up for discussion here.

Note: I'm leaving it open for another mod or myself to take action on any OTT post -- I'm not reading the thread right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

All fares going up, Irish rail actually asked for more than the NTA would allow. Every single dart I've taken in the last few weeks has been delayed by commuter trains passing through (why the hell don't they factor this in to the timetable instea of having a "delayed" dart every single day because the commuter train has to come through?!) and the capacity situation is beyond a joke, particularly when the only things to hold on to are those ridiculous yellow poles.

Surely it's not unreasonable to say that if we have to pay more, we should be getting a half decent service?

Also hav electricity prices gone up? Because Irish rail's "increased fuel costs" excuse is bollocks for the dart which runs on electricity...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Also re the luas, a 2 car DART has roughly the same capacity as a luas tram.

But Luas has higher frequency.

All fares going up, Irish rail actually asked for more than the NTA would allow. Every single dart I've taken in the last few weeks has been delayed by commuter trains passing through (why the hell don't they factor this in to the timetable instea of having a "delayed" dart every single day because the commuter train has to come through?!) and the capacity situation is beyond a joke, particularly when the only things to hold on to are those ridiculous yellow poles.

Surely it's not unreasonable to say that if we have to pay more, we should be getting a half decent service?

Also hav electricity prices gone up? Because Irish rail's "increased fuel costs" excuse is bollocks for the dart which runs on electricity...
    or they could just cut their losses and give the commuter trains which stop at less stops and the intercity services which hardly stop at all in the dart area priority over the dart, timetabled properly and it shouldn't effect the dart at all, infact it might cancel out the delays as less or non stopping services could be speeded up, its not 1984 anymore, their are more commuter and intercity services then back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

or they could just cut their losses and give the commuter trains which stop at less stops and the intercity services which hardly stop at all in the dart area priority over the dart, timetabled properly and it shouldn't effect the dart at all, infact it might cancel out the delays as less or non stopping services could be speeded up, its not 1984 anymore, their are more commuter and intercity services then back then

Sure, any of these suggestions could work, or even just factoring it into the timetable, but literally every single 9:56 DART I've tried to take into town the last two weeks has been delayed by approx 10 minutes because of commuter trains. Think they'd bother updating the timetable? Not a chance. :mad:

Sure, any of these suggestions could work, or even just factoring it into the timetable, but literally every single 9:56 DART I've tried to take into town the last two weeks has been delayed by approx 10 minutes because of commuter trains. Think they'd bother updating the timetable? Not a chance. :mad:

The thing is there is about 20 mins slack in the DART timetabe going form end to end of the line. It's easy enough for drivers to make up time so that they are not that late at all.

Ever see the difference in how a DART is driven between Connolly and HowthJunction if there is an Enterprise right behind and the DART has to clear the line asap. It's night and day in how quick they can cover those 6 miles. Usually takes 20 mins but they can do it in 15 mins calling at all stations and actually using the DARTs full acceleration and braking performance.

• Advertisement

I witnessed the strangest thing today at around half 3 in Connolly. A 4 carriage Dart for Malahide was waiting to take over from a 2 carriage Dart that arrived on platform 7. I was in the first carriage and all the people that swapped trains all got on the first 2 carriages and left the last 2 empty ,bar 1 or 2 who had a bit of cop on. I then overheard a fella and his partner moaning about having to move from one over crowded train onto another over crowded train and asking what are Irish Rail playing at and its not right.
    I left them to it and moved to the near empty last carriage where i sat down in peace .;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I had attempted to get on a 4 carriage DART heading for Greystones when it arrived in Sandymount at around 17:25 yesterday evening. It looked like a horror story as I walked past all the standing passengers with themselves jammed in right up to the doors as they were seen struggling to move within the carriages.

I was there with between 12 to 15 people left behind on the platform when the train made it's way off to Sydney Parade. A 4 carriage DART to Bray luckily wasn't like that when it came 5 minutes later as there was plenty of standing space in the train.

I heard lots of people have made complaints to Irish Rail about the DART overcrowding in the Herald sometime ago. I cannot find the link to that, but look at this now, Leo Varadkar and Simon Harris has now both made clinical move's by questioning IE's denial of overcrowding.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/minister-queries-irish-rails-denials-of-overcrowding-on-dart-29724002.html

I'd know they are Fine Gael but fair play to them both for making these point's in the Dail.

There appears to be no logic to the length of trains and no way of knowing the length of a train before it arrives (unless it is a diesel - when it will be 8 carriages). They are currently running a mixture of two, four, six, and eight coach trains randomly throughout the day.

I have noticed that people would rather stand than occupy the last few seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I heard lots of people have made complaints to Irish Rail about the DART overcrowding in the Herald sometime ago. I cannot find the link to that, but look at this now, Leo Varadkar and Simon Harris has now both made clinical move's by questioning IE's denial of overcrowding.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/minister-queries-irish-rails-denials-of-overcrowding-on-dart-29724002.html

I'd know they are Fine Gael but fair play to them both for making these point's in the Dail.

Given Leo and Simon both voted to cut Irish Rail's subsidy in this years budget they are playing the classic two faced Irish politician, vote one way, act another.

Most Saturdays and Sundays, Dart trains are 4 coach. Last Saturday, they were all 8 coach ones, including those made up of 2 car sets. For the last week or so, they have been running a mixture of 2 4 6 and 8 car sets during the day and I noticed a 4 car unit at 9 am this morning.

Am I missing something, or do the drivers decide which train they take out on their shift based on where it is parked rather than its appropriateness? There appears t be no logic whatsoever. The last train last night (at about 11.30pm) was an 8 coach with 4 passengers on it.

Could IR not indicate train length on the real time information system? It could be put in the 'Calling at .......' part of the display - as in '....This train consists of 4 coaches.'

If they settled on 4 or 8 coaches, and identify the 8 coach trains, that would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its completely haphazard. They've put up signs indicating where the short trains will stop, but the screens don't indicate how long the approaching train will be, and for whatever reason the short commuter/intercity trains don't stop at the signs so you still have to go up the end of the platform for those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Last night there was the small matter of Ireland v Serbia at the Aviva, hence the extra capacity. There is no point in shortening the train if the carriages have to get back to Bray or Fairview.

There are always full capacity sets out on the days / evenings of events at the Aviva. Expect the same on Saturday when Ireland play Italy in the rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Most Saturdays and Sundays, Dart trains are 4 coach. Last Saturday, they were all 8 coach ones, including those made up of 2 car sets. For the last week or so, they have been running a mixture of 2 4 6 and 8 car sets during the day and I noticed a 4 car unit at 9 am this morning.

Am I missing something, or do the drivers decide which train they take out on their shift based on where it is parked rather than its appriateness? There appears t be no logic whatsoever. The last train last night (at about 11.30pm) was an 8 coach with 4 passengers on it.

Could IR not indicate train length on the real time information system? It could be put in the 'Calling at .......' part of the display - as in '....This train consists of 4 coaches.'

If they settled on 4 or 8 coaches, and identify the 8 coach trains, that would help.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    its completely haphazard. They've put up signs indicating where the short trains will stop, but the screens don't indicate how long the approaching train will be, and for whatever reason the short commuter/intercity trains don't stop at the signs so you still have to go up the end of the platform for those.

It isn't completely random, despite what you may think. Bear in mind that sets are replaced, split or joined in two locations - both at Connolly and Bray, so it may well be that a particular train will operate to Greystones south of Connolly as a six or eight piece, having been lengthened at Connolly, while the next train may be joined up to another set when it gets to Bray.

That way you could have a 6 or 8 piece followed by a 2 piece train. The same applies in the reverse also.

As Bikeman1 says, they tend to lengthen the trains at weekends or evenings when there are events on along the line.

I'd agree that they really need to get the PIS system upgraded to tell people how long the trains are. That isn't possible right now.

they need to be 8 cars at peak times, then 6 at the lesser peak times, 4 at the highest off peak times, 2 at the lowest off peak times, no excuses

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Last night there was the small matter of Ireland v Serbia at the Aviva, hence the extra capacity. There is no point in shortening the train if the carriages have to get back to Bray or Fairview.

There are always full capacity sets out on the days / evenings of events at the Aviva. Expect the same on Saturday when Ireland play Italy in the rugby.

What was on last Saturday to warrant 8 cars all day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Leinster played in the RDS and I think there was a Fine Gale Ard Fheis as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement