Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

sweetie wrote: »
    but why is there no reviews yet?

Embargoed till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prH_fmTOmBU

A few YouTube videos around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

phew! not feeling so bad I got it, now just waiting till it is unlocked on Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Possible classic in the making here looks like if the plot is any good, way more optimistic than I was...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Anyone play yet? Anyone???

I havent bought a game for 50 + euro in 2 years, this could be the one......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Played about 30mins of the PC one (very cheap, so took a risk).
    Embargo on reviews was putting me off, but I'd heard a couple decent things bar some overly repetitive game mechanics - like I say though, it's hard to tell with only 30mins play.

To be fair though, it looks a seriously optimized game on PC, especially following the Arkham Knight fiasco - wasteland looks glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

McDermotX wrote: »
    Played about 30mins of the PC one (very cheap, so took a risk).
    Embargo on reviews was putting me off, but I'd heard a couple decent things bar some overly repetitive game mechanics - like I say though, it's hard to tell with only 30mins play.

To be fair though, it looks a seriously optimized game on PC, especially following the Arkham Knight fiasco - wasteland looks glorious.

Running it at 4K with no issues at all. Looks gorgeous and runs beautifully, would be amazing if AK ended up somewhere close to this after it gets patched, but I won't hold my breath. Bit worried I may start finding it a bit tedious once the beauty factor wears off, though.

8.4 from IGN which is good enough for me to purchase!

Cormac... wrote: »
    It's been about a month since I mentioned how good RAGE was..... this looks like that.... but less good.... RAGE was class.

Mick might be right, this would probably score higher if it was NOT a Movie Tie-in

I'll not be quick to hand ID over any money for a Rage sequel, game was grand but when the end came it was abrupt and left me feeling very short changed indeed.

Thought they dropped the movie tie in on Mad Max though ? Well it's still a tie in but not in the strictest of senses :confused:

It had so many delays and changes over it's development I've lost track. I'll check the reviews now I think , normally like to make up my own mind but alarm bells are ringing with this one from comments here and other sites.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I picked it up for €18 on Kinguin just there, will see how it plays out when I can get home and install it this evening. As I said above, it does look a bit like Ubisoft: The Game with Batman/Mordor combat mechanics. And that's cool with me, but it's not the sort of thing that people have traditionally enjoyed as it can be a bit repetitive.

• Advertisement

I love the Arkham games. I love Shadow of Mordor. After about 2 hours of this, I can safely say I'm going to really enjoy it. The combat is simplistic, but the car seems like it will be great once it gets upgraded. The wasteland is immense and fantastic looking. At the 18e or so that it's going for on key sites, it's worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

€16 on g2play with ripper dlc.

Yea, that's the one I got Ant by way of Kinguin - paid the €0.85 for protection cause you never know and there was a PayPal fee of €0.71 I think.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Yea, that's the one I got Ant by way of Kinguin - paid the €0.85 for protection cause you never know and there was a PayPal fee of €0.71 I think.

Ah good stuff yeah them paypal fees are a pain in the ass. I was surprised it could still be had so cheap given the positive reviews and lack of issues and the fact that it's €50 on steam thought it would have gone up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Surprised this is getting good reviews, it came out of nowhere.

However is the combat really Batman/Shadows of Mordor style because that to me is a major negative point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Surprised this is getting good reviews, it came out of nowhere.

However is the combat really Batman/Shadows of Mordor style because that to me is a major negative point?

Reviews are saying so. I haven't played shadows but I wasn't overly keen on the Batman combat element.

If I can pick this up on Friday for sub 20 bucks I defo will

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

streaming it here if anyone's interested

streaming it here if anyone's interested

Dammit I want to go home and download it now.Looks fun though. Ragesque which is a good thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Reviews are a bit all over the place, a good few 5's and 6's, no doubt I will pick it up on sale digitally on the PS4 for E20 or less by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, so bought this earlier for €17 hoping it would play (GPU is a 7850, says min is a 7870), and lo and behold it does. And it looks amazing even at the settings i'm using. According to Steam, i've played 9 hours (continuously), which have flew by. I'm only 20% complete, and have only 2 of the 4 sections in Jeets area done (that'd be the first proper area). Haven't gone near any of the other 3 areas in the map yet. Combat is Batman, driving is grand, nothing special about it but it works well. Story is, well, Mad. Voice acting is quite good, graphics are excellent imo, and the progression is genuinely something you work towards. And the map is huge!

I don't get the Rage references. I didn't like Rage at all, and i don't believe this plays anything like it. I do also think that it will get repetitive after a while, but aside from the fact it's 4am and i really should go to bed, i would probably still be playing this now.

Only complaints i have are no handbrake, fov when fighting can be too close and you don't see the enemies from behind attacking (even with the prompts), picking stuff up is taking too long (it's only like, half a second, but that gets annoying after you've picked up 5000 bits of scrap or ammo!), and i would have preferred a distance counter for marked waypoints, but all minor things.

Anyway, if you're on the fence, i'd say go for it. I'm having a blast with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Looking forward to playing it whenever it fecking finishes downloading!! Quick question though, is the score to it the same as Fury Road? Or a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

it's a lot like shadow of mordor, but the car/s is the star

i quite like it. Gonna stream a bit more now if anyone's interested

Some good tips for anyone starting the game

http://m.ign.com/wikis/mad-max/Tips_and_Tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

so many bad reviews, i think il try before i buy WINK WINK... gets coat.
    no but it was like 16 euro g2a and some other site yesterday not sure wether to get it just
    wait for a steam sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

For those of you who have played it.... how linear is the story?

Is there much 'open world' to it?

I've only read the gamepsot review. Gameplay footage looks beautiful!

Lone Stone wrote: »
    so many bad reviews, i think il try before i buy WINK WINK... gets coat.
    no but it was like 16 euro g2a and some other site yesterday not sure wether to get it just
    wait for a steam sale.

Average has been 7-8, not sure I would class that as low

Don't let scores cloud your judgement anyway. This has been overshadowed by a bigger game that's all

For those of you who have played it.... how linear is the story?

Is there much 'open world' to it?

I've only read the gamepsot review. Gameplay footage looks beautiful!

there are stages where you have to do a story mission to progress but once youve got them done it's all open world - ye can go anywhere on the map which is pretty big, loads to explore. The missions themselves are split a few ways, ye have story missions which are fairly decent by themselves, but the majority of the game is all about doing the optional stuff - take out a small compound and that compound becomes occupied by friendlies who give you scrap (the game's currency) every so often, some missions have unlocks for the car etc, others have stronghold upgrades and then ye have the convoy patrols, one in each area where you chase down a convoy, proper mad max style - take out the outriders then nail the main vehicle - ye get hood ornaments for it which are kind of like buffs for your car - damage, armour that kind of thing.

Like i said earlier, it's very like Shadow of Mordor in that respect, the same way that ye could do the story quests in SoM, ye can do that in MM too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

there are stages where you have to do a story mission to progress but once youve got them done it's all open world - ye can go anywhere on the map which is pretty big, loads to explore. The missions themselves are split a few ways, ye have story missions which are fairly decent by themselves, but the majority of the game is all about doing the optional stuff - take out a small compound and that compound becomes occupied by friendlies who give you scrap (the game's currency) every so often, some missions have unlocks for the car etc, others have stronghold upgrades and then ye have the convoy patrols, one in each area where you chase down a convoy, proper mad max style - take out the outriders then nail the main vehicle - ye get hood ornaments for it which are kind of like buffs for your car - damage, armour that kind of thing.

Like i said earlier, it's very like Shadow of Mordor in that respect, the same way that ye could do the story quests in SoM, ye can do that in MM too.
    Is it all one map, or broken down in sections? That was the one thing about Shadow of Mordor that i didn't like.

Just after getting it for 19 squid for PC. Cheap as chips.

• Advertisement

Been playing if for the last couple of hours, this will do nicely :) Not everyone's sorta game, but it is mine.

Advertisement