Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waxing

Options
  • 15-04-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Tomorrow I am going for my first wax. Am getting my underarms done.

When the woman did a patch test on my wrist, it didn't hurt at all, will it hurt more on my underarms?

Any tips on how to minimize pain?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Hi,

When the woman did a patch test on my wrist, it didn't hurt at all, will it hurt more on my underarms?

Thanks!

I doesnt hurt on the wrists as theres no real hair to pull.
    Ask your therapist to use the hot wax and you should be fine. The heat of the hot wax opens the pores so the hair comes easier.
    It will be a small bit sore but hot wax on the underarms is not very painfull. If its your first time going I recommend you take 2 neurofen first and you should be fine. The hair grows in different directions so it wont be over in one pull, might take a few different patches for each underarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Hi,

I get waxed all the time and also wax under my arms and don't find it painful at all. Some people swear by a cup of strong coffee or two anadin a half hour before being waxed. Have never tired any of these but then again as i said I don't find it painful.

OK maybe the first pull of the wax strip but thats more the shock, after that its fine, my beautician uses peel off wax for under my arms and I have been getting that waxed for the last 15 months and never have to shave its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thank you both.

The salon/clinic I am going to to get the wax done, only use hot wax as they say it's the best wax to use.

What about getting arms waxed? Would that be very sore?

Thank you both.

The salon/clinic I am going to to get the wax done, only use hot wax as they say it's the best wax to use.

What about getting arms waxed? Would that be very sore?

The hot wax is the peel off wax another poster mentioned, not half as painful as the other wax used in some salons. And this wax is the most suitable for underarms.
    Arms shouldnt be very sore, the skin on your arms wouldnt be a sensitive id imagine. Once you wax your arms though you will have to keep getting them done as the hair will grow back stronger and more dense. What about bleaching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It really depends on the individual in terms of which places are sorer - e.g. bikini line doesn't hurt me too much, whereas it's agony for others. And I find eyebrow plucking more painful than eyebrow waxing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

That patch test is to see if the wax will cause a rash on your skin or not, thats the reason it was done...usually 24hrs beforehand.

And the two types of wax they use are hot wax, and cool wax. Both are used for different areas of growth and waxed differently i.e. one against the grain/growth direction, and one goes with grain/growth direction. Thats all I know about it from some waffle that was given to us in a massage class last year:p

That patch test is to see if the wax will cause a rash on your skin or not, thats the reason it was done...usually 24hrs beforehand.

And the two types of wax they use are hot wax, and cool wax. Both are used for different areas of growth and waxed differently i.e. one against the grain/growth direction, and one goes with grain/growth direction. Thats all I know about it from some waffle that was given to us in a massage class last year:p

Hot wax and warm wax. Warm goes with the direction of the hair growth and the hot wax ( peel off) goes against and is less painfull imo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Hi,

Thanks!

Have a warm shower about an hour before hand. And definitely use the hot wax. And don't go jogging or do anything that would cause you to sweat excessively after the waxing

Underarm waxing is brilliant by the way. Can't recommend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 missmonkeypenny

One tip that might not minimise the pain but will definitley make you feel better is if bring your man along and get him to get his legs waxed! :D

I'm back! There was piss all pain. Just a slight sting as she pulled the strip off.

She put some Aloe Vera cooling cream on afterwards to calm it down as it was my first wax.

She also said not to use any products (deodrant, body cream/lotion etc) on my underarms for 48hrs. And no exercise that will make me sweat a lot.

She was so lovely and explained that after this wax (first time!) it gets easier and less painful.

I didn't take any pain-relief medication before hand etc, I just had a quick warm shower about an hour before hand.

I'm thinking now, in a few weeks, I'll get my legs and 'lady area' done.

Can anyone explain the different between the folliwng please? I've googled, but am getting different answers lol so not sure which is correct.

Extended Bikini
    Brazilian Bikini
    Hollywood

Thanks!
    The hot wax is the peel off wax another poster mentioned, not half as painful as the other wax used in some salons. And this wax is the most suitable for underarms.
    Arms shouldnt be very sore, the skin on your arms wouldnt be a sensitive id imagine. Once you wax your arms though you will have to keep getting them done as the hair will grow back stronger and more dense. What about bleaching?
    Thank you.

I might just leave my arm hair, it is quite light coloured anyway. I certainly don't want more hair on my arms.
    One tip that might not minimise the pain but will definitley make you feel better is if bring your man along and get him to get his legs waxed! :D
    I'm single, but it's a good tip/suggestion.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubblybox

A Hollywood is EVERYTHING.

A Brazillian just leaves a strip at the front.

An Extended seems to vary from salon to salon but it was explained to me as in between a bikini line and brazillian, the beautician said you would be waxed moreso at the sides and top i.e. if you were wearing a small thong you wouldn't be able to see any hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 buzzybb

hi ladies,

im 25 and never had a bikini wax and i think its about time i go to a beautician and get it done.but im not sure how it will work.what underwear do i need to wear for it? is it painful? the beautician doesnt see much do they?
    thanks

p.s im slightly embarrassed at the thought of going. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Hi, Seriously you have nothing to be nervous about perhaps taken an asprin
    before you arrive at the salon.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-prepare-for-a-bikini-wax.htm

Once you go once you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ibuprofen >>> Aspirin for waxing

Aspirin thins the blood. If you start bleeding, you'll bleed alllll over the place if you've taken Aspirin. Ibuprofen decreases inflammation - I wouldn't be surprised if it helps with irritated folicles afterwards as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I had my first ever wax in that area last Nov and i'm 27!! I decided to go the whole hog and get a brazilian. I think for a normal bikini wax you just wear a thong and you can keep it on. The therapists are very professional and sure they've seen it all before.

I think the thoughts of it are worse than actually going. Good luck!!

thanks so much, that link it very helpful.im allergic to asprin so thats a no no anyway.
    i dont know why im embarrassed to get it done.should have done it sooner i suppose.must get onto booking it before my hols! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Xiney thanks for that my beautician told me to take asprin.

OP I promise you have nothing to be nervous about. They have seen it all
    before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 witchmaiden

Ibuprofen is murder on your stomach! Take solpadine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If you are in the South East , contact this lady - she is the best

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1006725345#!/group.php?gid=119584038053920&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

I once tried getting my bikini line waxed, the beautician butchered me. I bled after each strip she took off, she had to hold my leg down as the pain was so bad I instinctly kicked. I wouldn't mind but i'm normally fine with pain. I mentioned this incident to other beauticians and they suggested that the wrong wax was used or something. Either way i'll be shaving all the way!

• Advertisement

Ibuprofen is murder on your stomach! Take solpadine!

again, it's aspirin which is harsh on the stomach.

solpadine is pretty hard core for just waxing - it contains codeine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

buzzybb wrote: »
    thanks so much, that link it very helpful.im allergic to asprin so thats a no no anyway.
    i dont know why im embarrassed to get it done.should have done it sooner i suppose.must get onto booking it before my hols! :)

Oh another lil bit of advice, might sound obvious but you'd be surprised, give yourself 2 mybe even 3 days because it's your first for the redness to go down before you head on your holiday. You have to stay out of the sun for 24hrs anyway I think. People vary mine goes down in a 2/3hrs now with the new wax they are using in my salon, but takes longer for some. My first time I was still slightly red the next day.

It'll look great though and you'll become addicted to it, you'll feel so clean and tidy and ok I'll stop now I sound strange but it's true! :p Oh if your going on hols underarms are great to get done too, don't have to worry about them for the whole holiday, hair thins out after every waxing too. It's just the growing of them thats a bit eww.

Jemmy wrote: »
    It'll look great though and you'll become addicted to it, you'll feel so clean and tidy and ok I'll stop now I sound strange but it's true! :p Oh if your going on hols underarms are great to get done too, don't have to worry about them for the whole holiday, hair thins out after every waxing too. It's just the growing of them thats a bit eww.

Ha ha, underarms dont bother me but thanks, think il conquer the bikini first!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

buzzybb wrote: »
    Ha ha, underarms dont bother me but thanks, think il conquer the bikini first!! lol

Lol well if you go to a decent salon I'd almost guarantee it's not going to be half as bad as you think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 witchmaiden

Xiney wrote: »
    again, it's aspirin which is harsh on the stomach.

solpadine is pretty hard core for just waxing - it contains codeine!
    Aspirin is bad for the stomach but Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories (one being Ibuprofen) are known for being very bad for the stomach, and especially aggravate existing stomach conditions such as ulcers.

If in doubt just go with a paracetamol. Nothing wrong with codeine tho :/

bubblybox wrote: »
    A Hollywood is EVERYTHING.

A Brazillian just leaves a strip at the front.

An Extended seems to vary from salon to salon but it was explained to me as in between a bikini line and brazillian, the beautician said you would be waxed moreso at the sides and top i.e. if you were wearing a small thong you wouldn't be able to see any hair.
    Brilliant, thank you.

Would it too much for to get a hollywood and my legs done in one session/day do you think?

Also, on my underarms, at the 'bottom' (just above/beside my bra) there are a few hair starting to grow back/stubble, is this normal after a few days? There is no hair anywhere else on my underarms? Or is it that she didn't wax properly?

Sorry for all the questions! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 singletraveller

Aspirin and Ibuprofin are both NSAIDs and so are dodgy on the tummy, but with regards to aspirin that would be more applicable if an individual was taking it daily rather than to take the edge off a wax! Codeine is good..although even a little dose has quite potent effects, namely giving someone constipation.

Back on track, try not to book it around your period, I've found its super painful getting a wax done just before mine!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

can anyone recommend a good brazilian wax therapist in the galway area? my last attempt i got a therapist who rushed through it and it was really wonky.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Waxing threads merged.

Maple.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a good brazilian wax therapist in the galway area? my last attempt i got a therapist who rushed through it and it was really wonky.

Not first hand here, but I've heard good things about bellisimo in where the omniplex is. I've never been there. They seem to be expensive as well - but they use the correct wax.

My own personal favourite hair salon does waxing too, but again, I have no first hand experience and even though their hairstylist is an absolute genius I don't know if their waxer is any good. All I can say is their prices look quite reasonable:

http://prestigesalon.ie/podstrony/pricelist.html
    WAXING

Full Leg €30
    ( + bikini) €36
    Half Leg €16
    ( + bikini ) €26
    Bikini €15
    Underarm €15
    Full Arm €20
    Lip/Chin €8
    Lip & Chin €14
    Eyebrow Wax €10