Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone X - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Or a rip off because if people pay 1300 odd they think they'll cough up 200 to keepit safe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Blazer wrote: »
    christ..applecare+ is €299 for the iphone x..that's a €200 increase..they must be expecting a lot of broken phones,

Did you see that somewhere on Apple’s website? Might be correct but it sounds a bit like a crazy figure as AppleCare+ is €169 for the 8 Plus and the device is actually not that much cheaper than the X.

Also AppleCare+ for the X is $199 in the US so with Apple’s current exchange rate it should translate more to something like €219 or €229.

Double-checked and according to Apple's website AppleCare+ for the X is indeed 229: https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/S6367ZM/A/applecare-for-iphone-x

• Registered Users Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

christ I used to only pay €99 for it..unless they increased it with the 7 and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

X-20!!!

• Advertisement

christ I used to only pay €99 for it..unless they increased it with the 7 and so forth.

It's more the price of the phone which is to blame if you find AppleCare+ too expensive. For the most part AppleCare+ is just following it proportionally (for example AppleCare+ for an SE is still €99). No insurrer would provide you an accidental damage cover on a 1180-1350 euros phone for just €99 for 2 years.

I think for the 7 which is in between in terms of pricing it was around €150 when it was released last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Ireland is tier one so we should get ours delivered by Friday.

Bob24 wrote: »
    It's more the price of the phone which is to blame if you find AppleCare+ too expensive. For the most part AppleCare+ is just following it proportionally (for example AppleCare+ for an SE is still €99). No insurrer would provide you an accidental damage cover on a 1180-1350 euros phone for just €99 for 2 years.

I think for the 7 which is in between in terms of pricing it was around €150 when it was released last year.

yeah but that insurance covers theft also. AppleCare doesn't.
    At this stage you're probably better off getting specific insurance for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DubDJ wrote: »
    Ireland is tier one so we should get ours delivered by Friday.

Don't think it will be that easy as availability will be very low.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't think it will be that easy as availability will be very low.

Ordering within the first few seconds will be a pretty safe bet to have it on launch day I think. But after that yeah it will depend on supply and demand. We already know almost for sure that supply is limited so if demand is high just waiting a few minutes to order could indeed push the delivery date by weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Ordering within the first few seconds will be a pretty safe bet to have it on launch day I think. But after that yeah it will depend on supply and demand. We already know almost for sure that supply is limited so if demand is high just waiting a few minutes to order could indeed push the delivery date by weeks.

I’m just hoping to have it before Christmas at this stage.

It really is hard to gauge this year. Not only is it Apple’s first big change from previous years release cycles but it’s one of the bigger changes to the phone itself. Adding in the iPhone 8 and the significantly higher price of the X, it’s hard to predict exactly what the launch will be like.

With the rumours of production delays I’d imagine it will be constrained at first, but I don’t know if as many people will go for it based on the higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Apple distribute the stock unevenly, America will get a big bunch, so will the UK compared to Ireland.

This was seen last year where I was 20 seconds after the go live time for pre-orders and my phone (iPhone 7 Plus) was already back ordered 1-2 weeks.

I bet the same - if not worse - will happen with the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/16/iphone-x-shipping/

More reports that X numbers will be very limited.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

It's probably all hype anyway, even if you don't get to preorder you'll probably be able to get it a few weeks later.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Quick question will Apple ship to a parcel motel address or would that likely to be canceled?
    And final question when you pre order do they take all the money upfront and ship a month later or only take money day before shipping?

Many thanks

They usually do ship to Parcel Motel but there’s always a chance they could flag it and cancel the order. Generally you will be fine.

Also, when ordering in the past Apple will usually place an authorization hold on the card, which takes the cash for a few hours, and then returns it. They will then take the actual amount once it’s shipped. It could differ but that’s been my experience with previous orders.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

DubDJ wrote: »
    They usually do ship to Parcel Motel but there’s always a chance they could flag it and cancel the order. Generally you will be fine.

Also, when ordering in the past Apple will usually place an authorization hold on the card, which takes the cash for a few hours, and then returns it. They will then take the actual amount once it’s shipped. It could differ but that’s been my experience with previous orders.

Thanks DubDJ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Quick question will Apple ship to a parcel motel address or would that likely to be canceled?
    And final question when you pre order do they take all the money upfront and ship a month later or only take money day before shipping?

Many thanks
    if you do go down the parcel motel route don't forget to up the insurance you wouldnt want this to happen;)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

TCP/IP wrote: »

Many thanks
    I have used PM for the past 3 iphones and never issues however I got the insurance each time just for a peace of mind.

Apple doesnt take the $ upfront and (what I found quite useful) was if there is not enough money on the card/account they give you some time to top-and will attempt again a couple of hours later: I used a wrong card at the time and had to shift balances from one to another.

Never had any issues with the address - sale is a sale I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Now I’m wondering would I be more likely to get the X if I go with a network

Why ? you'll be paying the same over 2 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why ? you'll be paying the same over 2 years anyway.

I'd get a €240 upgrade discount on an 8plus on a 24 month contract keeping the same price bill every month as I have now 8plus 64 for €698 up front.

I might wait myself to see if I get the same kind of discount on the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

snowflaker wrote: »
    Now I’m wondering would I be more likely to get the X if I go with a network

I think the X will be as hard to get with the networks as buying direct if the low yields reported are true.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Apparently the first batch of IPhone X is only around 45k.
    At this rate it could be months before you get one here in which case you might as well wait for the XI.
    Will see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rgbm1

Are Apple ok with a delivery address (work address) that is different to your billing address when ordering from the Apple Store?

This will be my first order, almost tempted to order something small to test...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

rgbm1 wrote: »
    Are Apple ok with a delivery address (work address) that is different to your billing address when ordering from the Apple Store?

This will be my first order, almost tempted to order something small to test...

Yes, all Apple care about is that someone signs for the package at your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Apparently the first batch of IPhone X is only around 45k.
    At this rate it could be months before you get one here in which case you might as well wait for the XI.
    Will see how it pans out.

Nope seems to be bull**** to hype release after all that. Make us jump on board now!

I'm happy regardless.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/17/iphone-x-suppliers-on-schedule-to-meet-2017-demand/

iancairns wrote: »
    Nope seems to be bull**** to hype release after all that. Make us jump on board now!

I'm happy regardless.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/17/iphone-x-suppliers-on-schedule-to-meet-2017-demand/

Exactly, the price tag will put a lot of people off i'd say.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    the price tag will put a lot of people off i'd say.

I’m genuinely curious about that. Is it going to turn into an Apple geek and richman’s device, or will it still appeal to a wider audience?

Advertisement