Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Comordha wrote: »
    I would give D.Maher a go instead of Lar. Barry Kelly is a good ref choice as he'll control the Kilkenny dark arts.

My first ever post in this thread so I'll keep it very brief. I hope someone from Tipp will also call you out on the above nonsense as the posters on this thread do seem to be very genuine supporters.

The one thing that bugs Kilkenny supporters most is this bitter agenda put forward by a vocal minority that Kilkenny players are somehow committing and getting away with offences that no other teams commit. The ref is there to control the game and watch both teams. The belief that the referee should "ref Kilkenny" in a particular way has, in recent years, allowed opposition teams to do what they want against Kilkenny while operating to different rules. The result was two Kilkenny players receiving long-term injuries in high profile matches while the refs did nothing.

So long as the referee applies the same rules consistently to both teams, there won't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Kilkenny are tough - that's their business - I don't think they are dirty - Tommy Walsh had his moments - Jackie shouldered a few lads into the chest on a few big days - every team has their tough men - that's just the way it is - its up to the ref to ref what he sees

As for KK not getting from justice from refs - i don't see it - as for kk not getting decisions - no more or less than other teams

All supporters are paranoid with conspiracy theories!!!!

It's tough game to ref - these derby games - the best team will win - they usually do!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Tickets sorted this morning lets skin some cats( fingers and toes crossed).

How did you get your hand on em? The club's hardly got them yet did they??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

GerB40 wrote: »
    How did you get your hand on em? The club's hardly got them yet did they??

Work with a fella who's on the munster council always handy to have some inside help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Work with a fella who's on the munster council always handy to have some inside help.

Still no guarantee until you have your ticket in the hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Anyone at the open session last evening?

Anyone at the open session last evening?

No but O'Shea announced this morning that he has a full squad to pick from going into the final which is a plus although he never gives too much away in interviews really

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

No but O'Shea announced this morning that he has a full squad to pick from going into the final which is a plus although he never gives too much away in interviews really

Good to hear everybody came through the weekend's games okay.

With Mickey Cahill pushing hard to get back in, there's going to be some intensity in training over the coming weeks.

Cahill has been our best player this year and has to play, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Niall o meara is a doubt is he?

With Mickey Cahill pushing hard to get back in, there's going to be some intensity in training over the coming weeks.

After that semi final performance Who do You drop?

• Advertisement

buggy beag wrote: »
    After that semi final performance Who do You drop?

Before it I would have dropped Bergin but he was good against Cork and excellent at the weekend by all accounts.

Paddy Saint possibly?

I know you have to show loyalty to players but you need to have your best 6 backs, on the field to beat KK. Cahill is one of our best 6 backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I would not start lar in the final. That game will start at a ferocous intensity and the sight of Lar running on as a sub would be more positive than the sight of Lar running off.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Yeah ankle again apparently!!

Think he may have played for the club recently but dont quote me on that. EOS was adamant on the radio soundclip this morning that he has the full compliment

Think he may have played for the club recently but dont quote me on that. EOS was adamant on the radio soundclip this morning that he has the full compliment

ya read somewhere today eos said hes ankle was in trouble again maybe it wasnt as bad as first thought

Michael Cahill in for Lar at corner forward and to pick up Paul Murphy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

I would not start lar in the final. That game will start at a ferocous intensity and the sight of Lar running on as a sub would be more positive than the sight of Lar running off.

id think start him for sure if hes not going well then you still have a sub to bring on not weakening the team but if he comes on and doesnt play well or his knee acts up thats a second sub gone.

Lar is lar he can find form quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Apparently Niall O' Meara has been hurt but since he wasn't a regular starter then our starting fifteen came through. I was worried that Bonner, Callanan, O' Dwyer or any of the forwards would go down. Bonner is back to 100% after a rib injury in the Cork game.

Not disagreeing with you but it's great that we have a number of players who have been brilliant compared to some seasons when only one player was maybe good enough.
    Michael Cahill in for Lar at corner forward and to pick up Paul Murphy!!!

Seeing how Cahill is such a good hurler, I imagine he could take to corner forward with ease!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Pity about Niall not having much of an impact this year, I thought he would be Tipp's Alan Cadogen. Have a feeling he will play a big part next year. I think the one mistake EOS has made over the past few games is not giving another 1/2 more forwards a good enough run. Now Tipp are in a position where there are slight doubts about 1 or 2 forwards and not enough reliable and tested firepower to bring on. KK have so much tried and trusted firepower that anytime they have someone off target they bring on a very capable sub.

I can't verify - but the word seems to be that Niall has the same discipline problems as his brother. If that's the case - it might not be a long career.

I really hope that's not true because he is a hard working, skilled forward who can catch ball - badly needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I can't verify - but the word seems to be that Niall has the same discipline problems as his brother. If that's the case - it might not be a long career.

I really hope that's not true because he is a hard working, skilled forward who can catch ball - badly needed

Was very impressed with him in the league and looked a real find for Tipp, surprised he didn't nail down a starting place tbh.

His brother looked like he would become a fabulous player - the last I heard of him - he was dropped for a while from the Kilruane panel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Why O' Meara dropped from Kilruane panel? Any expansion on "discipline" problem?

With regards to his brother, it's his first year out of under 21s and even though he has had a positive influence, I'd give him a few more years. It's the same with Forde. Young guys need time to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

His brother looked like he would become a fabulous player - the last I heard of him - he was dropped for a while from the Kilruane panel
    Dropped from senior squad. Interesting. He played rugby for a good while and always thought he was better suited to playing it than hurling.
    Why O' Meara dropped from Kilruane panel? Any expansion on "discipline" problem?

With regards to his brother, it's his first year out of under 21s and even though he has had a positive influence, I'd give him a few more years. It's the same with Forde. Young guys need time to adapt.
    More than likely discipline. He's had issues over the years with it...

Totally agree on your second paragraph. You cant expect youngsters just out of under21 to totally adapt perfectly to senior in the main so time must be given so to see how they adjust..

I think being dropped completely is a bit of an exaggeration.

He went out the week before the first Kilruane Championship match after there was a beer ban put in place.

He has played since, as far as I know, and played in the match he was dropped in too, as far as I recall.

I did say he was dropped for a while- not completely. I've always advocated caution in regards to the dismissal of younger players... in regards to forde and murphy...

But, the problems that O'Meara has displayed are not down to ability but of application - thestarting point - maybe he will turn it around - but the signs and the quality of his hurling since would not suggest so - someone like Paddy Murphy scored two goals the weekend - whereas Buggy is not exactly setting the world on fire - he is 24 now - should be coming towards his best years - his size and shape would dictate he needs to be tip top condition for senior club never mind inter-county - due to the pace of the game these days

Judging by the physique and approach to games of both brothers i would have said they are polar opposites. Big fan of Niall. He has similar traits to Bonnar in that he is hungry and tenacious to win ball. Buggy actually had a good year in 12 but judging by his physique it would seem he struggled with discipline. Pity, because a lean Buggy would have been an asset i feel.

I did say he was dropped for a while- not completely. I've always advocated caution in regards to the dismissal of younger players... in regards to forde and murphy...

But, the problems that O'Meara has displayed are not down to ability but of application - thestarting point - maybe he will turn it around - but the signs and the quality of his hurling since would not suggest so - someone like Paddy Murphy scored two goals the weekend - whereas Buggy is not exactly setting the world on fire - he is 24 now - should be coming towards his best years - his size and shape would dictate he needs to be tip top condition for senior club never mind inter-county - due to the pace of the game these days

Agree re Buggy.

Just on both Forde and Murphy, it just seems that Forde loses the nerve a bit and the recent u21 game showed that perhaps leadership might weigh heavy on him. Murphy just seems awkward. No pace, can get his paw to a ball but cant make it stick and seems to be unable for the pace of intercounty. Deceivingly good at club level which might say more for the club championship then it does for Paddy Murphy. Paddy is same age as Buggy and while he might be faring better due to his obvious willingness to work hard, i just dont think he is cut out for the top intercounty level. Could be wrong and more power to Paddy if he can improve but i just cant see it.

I think Forde's leadership on the night was second to none - gave a great performance. He's underage career stands up to anyone, apart from maybe Eoin Kelly, in terms of performance for tipp. Clare have steam rolled every one in the under 21 since - and the last few years at that grade. The positivity to Forde's performances far out weigh the negative. Your arguments boils down to opinion and just not liking the player as a player which is far enough - but saying he lacks leadership after being the top scorer from play and setting up the goal is bizarre to be honest. If you think missing a few frees (actually scored a lot more than he missed) is a lack of leadership then I'd totally disagree with you.

Deceivingly good at club level .... I don't understand that...his performances are his performances. Players like Murphy will always find it tough to make the grade initially as they are stand up players based on strenght- their game is not based on movement - so they are coming into the grade where players are older and have been on weight training regimes longer - it will take him years to get the strength up to play the game he wants -that is dependent upon him not losing his confidence first of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Any word on the tickets folks?

Advertisement