Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The major probelms in believing in religion

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Liber8or wrote: »
    Secondly, what has Goerbals got to do with this? Are you saying I am affiliated with Nazis? Might wanna check the forum charter about that...

Now how would I know if you were a nazi? Accusing the 'christians' of 'massacaring' scientists such as Galileo. Then when asked about this so called massacre you spoke of, you take a while, and come back that it was all just a metephor. Goerbals, as a world famous propagandist, not in his capacity as a Nazi, would be proud. Clearer?
    Thirdly, The Pope is the leader of Catholics, and is "God"s representative on earth, who happens to believe in the works of his son Jesus Christ. This is a forum for Christians, who also believe in the good works of Jesus Christ. So, whether you like it or not, any organisation that wishes to spread the word of Jesus are connected in some way. Besides, I am sure the works of Galileo contradict your beliefs as much as Catholicism, so I am, therefore, certain you are not too bothered by what the Pope did either. Which in turn, makes you an advocate of his persecution.

Finally, if you are going to hide behind a shroud of ignorance "lol, rofl lol" than actually refute my argument, kindly fob off and play WoW, kk?

'Shroud of ignorance'?? You crack me up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

JimiTime wrote: »
    Goerbals, as a world famous propagandist, not in his capacity as a Nazi, would be proud.
    "Goerbals" is making my eyes water -- it's "Goebbels". The Gorbals is a grotty 'burb of Glasgow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    "Goerbals" is making my eyes water -- it's "Goebbels". The Gorbals is a grotty 'burb of Glasgow.

Now, now. Jimi may not be the best speller in the world, but he can surely be excused for misspelling a German name when we consider some of the atrocious spelling of English words that has already been inflicted on us in this particular thread.

Take a look at the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

PDN wrote: »
    While you're at it, since Liber8or didn't seem to want to answer my question, maybe you could let us know how Galileo was massacred?

The vatican burned Galileo at the stake in 1642, I think that could be classed as a massacre.

Just kidding. I don't know what Liber8tor was talking about. Maybe he used "massacre" as a metaphor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Now, now. Jimi may not be the best speller in the world, but he can surely be excused ....

Sounds like an episode of Southpark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

It does not matter who has the bigger army and if the South has U.S military support, it is about tension.

There is a tug of war situation between North and South, its not about the presence of defense, but the necessity for it. The atmosphere of possible war creates fear.

Fear, uncertainty, doubt leads people to question why they are feeling in such a way. These questions will make them vulnerable to those who apparently offer answers. i.e people invoking religious ideas.
    Ultimately it is down to polarisation, which can be seen in everything mankind does. When someone is confused, disheartened, lacking clarity they cling to a pole. Poles are thusly Science (Education/Intelligence) vs Religion (Emotion/Interpretation). At the present time people are confused by these numbers, talks of recession, so many deaths from terrorist attacks etc. They do not understand so turn from one pole to another, like a pendulum. However, this pendulum predominantly resides on the pole of Science, because in most cases it offers more answers than ambiguity.

Your argument rests on a notion you seem to believe to be solid, but is actually not so: the idea that science and religion are in an inherent conflict. It is a millenial narrative that views parts of the world as being in the grip of dark forces (religion) that are about to be overthrown (by science).

Religion and science are not in conflict, and among the many reasons why I know this is because this narrative generally only appears in atheist polemics. Not in scientific or religious sources.

Nor does it apply to South Korea. It is a technologically developed society with an evident respect for science, and there is no evidence that the Christian segment of the population take any less part in that.

Science and religion answer different needs. Both primarily serve human survival needs, and truth secondmost. Similarities pretty much end there. Science is an investigation of the natural world, and offers knowledge to increase our power in it. Religion answers the spiritual needs of the human for a relationship with God (i.e. something that exists outside the senses) and for some sort of salvation. Your narratives imply that science offers salvation (from religion and fear) but it makes no such claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

That is the best thing I have read in this debate.

Education does not cause people to question things? Education creates ignorance? So, when you read a book or watch a film, you have no urge to go out and discover more about what that said book or film had to say?

Education in our society, just like education in every society, exists to pass on the previous generation's knowledge, worldviews and other beliefs. The reason this is done is to serve the requirements and survival of that society. Modern Western education does the same. It does not have a window on ultimate truth that other education systems did not.

Education causes some people to question things. Many, perhaps most people, do not question the dominant paradigms of their era. No matter how much education they go through.

PS.. That's fascinating stuff PDN.

robindch wrote: »

From one type of Nazi to another ey. :rolleyes: Glad you done your exegesis into my context to find out who it was I was referring to though. Well done.

Now, now. Jimi may not be the best speller in the world...........

Heeyyy, I resemble that remark:)

Advertisement