Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Annual Average Daily Traffic. You call yourself a road nerd?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think Furet was prob asking on what basis it is calculated more so I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought it was measured at a point, by those things they have along with the weather station/Stephenson screen lads you see.

I think they have some time analysis but isn't it the total no of vehicles divided by the number of days that year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Such impudence! ;)

I wish to know how theoretical maximum capacity is calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought it was measured at a point, by those things they have along with the weather station/Stephenson screen lads you see.

I think they have some time analysis but isn't it the total no of vehicles divided by the number of days that year?

You can see the measurement points by large loops of wire placed in the road surface and sealed over, you generally can't tell you're driving over them. They're not always alongside the weather stations.

They're not very accurate, and can drift to being even more inaccurate over time needing recalibration - the infamous error being trucks counted as two very close cars or vice versa. Generally when doing a count to justify a road scheme its done manually by people with clipboards.

The figure is the number of vehicles divided by the days of the year but the NRAs system gives breakdowns for every day of the month the counter was working. When you look at these you can see how frequently some counters are broken... so its the total number of vehicles counted divided by how many days the count was done on.

A counter out of action for all or part of August on a trunk route will end up with a lower AADT than the reality is, and a counter out of action some/all of December/January will end up with a higher one and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Hi all, this is my first post on here, I’ve been reading this thread and a few other threads (M7, M8, M9 Waterford by-pass) over the last few weeks, they’re all great discussions. More photos please too.

Has anyone any news on the opening of the new R125, which is now late as its listed [URL="p://www.eurolink-m3.ie/traffic_diversions.html"]here[/URL] to open on July 09. It’s now looking like it will open early September. I think its Meath County Council which is delaying this opening. The new R125 was ready by mid to late June, barriers, signs and lighting erected, lines painted, the full works - It was even noted here by IIMII on the 14-04-09 too.

I’ve been watching the progress of the M3 and the related works around the M3 from the start. Over the last year or so, Meath County Council has also been doing lots of work with water mains in the Dunshaughlin area. Two pump sites were installed on the old R125 road at each side of the M3 for a water main which supplies Drumree. There must have installed a new water main under the M3 which will make the existing water main redundant so that the M3 can cut through the old R125 road. However, work on the two sites stop a few months ago and it was early July before work started again on the two pump sites. I’m guessing that Meath County Council wouldn’t sign off on the new R125 as this would put them under pressure from Eurolink to get the water main finished, as Eurolink would be looking to remove the section of the old R125 road which is crossing the M3. I think Meath County Council told Eurolink that they’re not happy with the embankments on the new R125 to buy them time to finish the water main, because work started again by Eurolink in late July raising the height of the embankments. I walked this road in late June and the embankments were built up at that stage to a height which would very much limit car drivers’ views of the bordering fields the new embankment height, looks like it will limit lorry drivers’ views of the bordering fields. Even the crash barrier near the Dunshaughlin end roundabout is almost buried by the embankment now.

If anyone knows what the true story is, please can you enlighten us all with it? As, if Meath County Council are delaying things, will they continue to delay the progress of the M3 put the grand opening of the M3 (scheduled for July 2010) in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Gene, your first link should read http://www.eurolink-m3.ie/traffic_diversions.html It's missing the first "htt"

Sorry, I didn’t get off to a good start! I should’ve checked the links before submitting, time was against me yesterday and I just copied and pasted the links in very quickly (too quickly). I’ve also noticed the date (14-04-09) relating to the second link on the above post is wrong too, should have read 16-05-2009 (post no.68). Hope my post hasn’t lost creditably, but it was my first post.

Gene, you haven't lost any credibility in the least and you're very welcome to Infrastructure.

Hi Furet, firstly best of luck in your new role.

I wonder could I be so bold (as I’m a new comer) in suggesting a merger of two threads!

M3 Motorway and M3 progress

M3 Motorway
    M3 progress

It’s only a suggestion, because I was thinking some other motorway threads have a lot more activity than the M3 threads, which I’m surprised at as the M3 stretches a good distance (Clonee to Kells) and had such a controversial route. So maybe it these two threads were merged we could get more discussions going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

About the M3..

Lack of interest, lack of people using it and lack of cities connected in it are all reasons why the threads arent getting the attention.

In summary, i think this was the second biggest waste of taxpayers money behind e-voting. :mad:

M3 needed an upgrade, but not this white elephant and if the likes of myself who will never need to use it foot the bill when not enough people use the toll, there will be alot of questions to answer for the government

Ah. Those threads are in two separate forums. No can do. If they were both here I'd merge them. There have been many threads like that across boards. The M8 has a giant thread here and at least three separate ones in "Commuting and Transport" that have all sort of run their course. I would like to see more of the construction threads here rather than elsewhere of course, and in time that will hopefully happen, but as things stand an M3 thread is as valid in the Meath forum as it is here. Duplication is unavoidable on a site as big as boards sometimes!

About the M3..

Lack of interest, lack of people using it and lack of cities connected in it are all reasons why the threads arent getting the attention.

Interesting point. In the printed media you'd swear it was the only motorway in the country under construction. The papers and RTE had no interest in the M7, M8, M6 and M9, except on the days they opened. Here it's been the direct opposite; we've had posters from Dublin and Cork, and almost everywhere in between and beyond as well, discussing the M8 for instance. But we didn't so much as have a single photo of the M3 here on boards until just a few months ago, and that wasn't until I went onto the Meath forum and begged for pictures!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Furet wrote: »
    But we didn't so much as have a single photo of the M3 here on boards until just a few months ago, and that wasn't until I went onto the Meath forum and begged for pictures!

DWCommuter ( IIRC) had some in the " Cannistown " thread ...so that is not entirely correct . Maybe relink them into the M3 thread you completist you :p ???

Right you are!

I never looked at that thread when it was active for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hey hey settle down on the lack of photos there is only so much one man can do:D:D

V Angry Man (very apt by the way) just because we aint go mysterious and the boys over here whinging like little school boys with the crayola on google maps does not mean there is no interest sometimes it is far better to listen (or in this case read) than talk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

eddiej wrote: »
    Hey hey settle down on the lack of photos there is only so much one man can do:D:D

V Angry Man (very apt by the way) just because we aint go mysterious and the boys over here whinging like little school boys with the crayola on google maps does not mean there is no interest sometimes it is far better to listen (or in this case read) than talk

With the risk of trolling..

I think that the reason affore-mentioned user(s) are not out with the crayons is because the road itself is probably not that bad all in all. Its the waste and un-necessity of this vanity project that I would question. You can easily put projects like M24/25, Galway Outer Bypass and Newlands Cross over this in terms of need.

N3 has DC all the way to Clonee. Anyone who lives further back from the smoke can either manage going through Dunshaughlin or god forbid, get a job in Navan/Kells.:eek:

Yeah I know, the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

You can easily put projects like M24/25, Galway Outer Bypass and Newlands Cross over this in terms of need.

Agreed. I'd put the M20 and M18/17 (Gort->Tuam) in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Maybe not M24, theres no need whatsoever for motorway from Limerick to Waterford ;) Even 2+2 is a little overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Maybe not M24, theres no need whatsoever for motorway from Limerick to Waterford ;) Even 2+2 is a little overkill.

2+2 isn't overkill - you need to be able to safely overtake and dual carriageway would be needed considering a) new road would mean more traffic using it (the existing road is bad enough to hinder commerce/journeys) and b) you'd have even more cross-country freight using the N24 if it was upgraded - i.e. more trucks.

2+1 is pretty inadequate and doesn't make sense for new build. It doesn't even seem to make sense for WS2 (wide two lane) upgrade, or even S2 (standard two lane) with hard shoulder (look at Nenagh bypass fitting motorway nevermind 2+2). I suspect 2+1 is only useful for situations you might get in other countries of decently built but basic S2 with hard strip, or WS2 with no hard shoulder. A lot of our WS2 or S2 a) has hard shoulder enough to allow 2+2, or b) is a dodgy falling apart alignment for which a 2+1 or 2+2 upgrade is wasted money (or at best a safety feature for right turns).

I agree M24 is not necessary for probably even the long term, although it potentially could eventually be as justifiable as e.g. southern M9.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I think that the reason affore-mentioned user(s) are not out with the crayons is because the road itself is probably not that bad all in all. Its the waste and un-necessity of this vanity project that I would question. You can easily put projects like M24/25, Galway Outer Bypass and Newlands Cross over this in terms of need.

N3 has DC all the way to Clonee. Anyone who lives further back from the smoke can either manage going through Dunshaughlin or god forbid, get a job in Navan/Kells.:eek:

Yeah I know, the horror.

Just the M17/M18 would have done and a shout for the M20 after that :D I would not like to be paying 2 tolls to use the damn thing though.

Yeah I know, the horror.

Realistically Dunshauglin needed a bypass - and logically it'd be a DC, likely it'd have continued south to bypass that village south of Dunshauglin who's name escapes me - and at there it'd have been fairly pointless not to throw a DC to join the existing one.

The northern sections of the M3 are over spec, though.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm always reminded of this song whenever I think of the M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

I haven't clicked the link yet Furet but I'm guessing it's gotta be N17 by The Saw Doctors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

So nobody lives outside Meath then?? and obviously you lot have never travelled to Dublin from Donegal...I don't know why I'm shocked, you lot all think we're in the northern Ireland anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just went to limerick there and all motorway signs up everywhere. Looks great but just wondering now about learner drivers, will they have to take by roads now getting into the major cities :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I think the patronage is entitled to a decent road considering there is no rail link from Dublin to Kells and beyond. You must also remember that the M3 will be carrying traffic to parts of Monaghan and onto the N2 as currently the M1 and the with the N33 joing at Ardee. There is no M2 to be built so the road is needed and I assume plans are afoot for the N52 at Kells for it to be upgraded to Ardee and beyond. I hope there are no immediate plans for a M24 or and dualcarriage way in this region of the country until major upgrading of the Waterford to Limerick rail line is completed ie something along the lines of the current ex connolly/heuston standard and the same applied from Limerick to Galway to qualify for a reasonable service that will be inefficent and to allow for freight to be transported from the west to Waterford and help make the line viable

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Just went to limerick there and all motorway signs up everywhere. Looks great but just wondering now about learner drivers, will they have to take by roads now getting into the major cities :pac:

The former national routes aren't bye roads! And their accompanying driver can just take over, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Trubertq wrote: »
    So nobody lives outside Meath then?? and obviously you lot have never travelled to Dublin from Donegal...I don't know why I'm shocked, you lot all think we're in the northern Ireland anyway!

Lol, the amount of people in Dublin who think Donegal is in NI is frightening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

:D Too true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement