Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's gone wild and bought unverified mpeg4 dvb-t recievers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

winston_1 wrote: »
    People don't use indoor aerials for cost reasons. It's just they are too tight. It amazes me that people can spend 4 figures on TV equipment and want to run it off rabitt ears which are designed for VHF not UHF anyway.

Perhaps, but installing an aerial is sometimes not possible (in flats, in rented accommodation etc.) and sometimes if the indoor aerial works, why go to the trouble/expense of installing an external one. If you get a good enough signal, then getting a better signal gives no better picture quality. That is not true for analogue.

If it works properly, then that is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's too simplistic, it's not actually even true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Technical performance and reliability is not the concern of quite a considerable proportion of people I speak to about this. But cost is on the mind of every one. I have answered winston's points in another thread before so I won't go through that debate again.

As for the reliability of using indoor aerials, the main predictor of whether people will be happy (all my own empirical experience) with using one is obviously whether it picks up a multiplex and also whether it will break up around the movement of people. People seem to be willing to move aerials to more secluded locations in a room or a more inaccessible window and this ameliorates the issue to some extent. The higher chance of breakups due to some common sources of EMI, (running lawnmowers, fridge freezer compressor thermostats or door lights, heater timers, even ordinary light switches if they're nearby) or occasional breakup in general don't seem to bother that many people when I've asked about though they do bother me.

That's also one reason why I often suggest loft aerials if possible as they enjoy most of the advantages of roof-level outdoor aerials like no reception interference from moving people and much greater signal strength but with more convenience and at lower cost. Big caveat is that attic spaces vary widely in terms of safety and reception obstacles!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ubeonek

I copied the spec on abox I was going to buy abroad which was as follows mpeg-2 sd/hd(mp@ml and mp@hl) mpeg-4h.264/avc sd /hd divX3.X~6,X jpeg. bmp png motion jpeg avi vob mkv . To me this could be Russian could some kind genius tell me will this do I know it has not got mpeg5 but will it do the rest if not what should I look for thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

ubeonek wrote: »
    I copied the spec on abox I was going to buy abroad which was as follows mpeg-2 sd/hd(mp@ml and mp@hl) mpeg-4h.264/avc sd /hd divX3.X~6,X jpeg. bmp png motion jpeg avi vob mkv . To me this could be Russian could some kind genius tell me will this do I know it has not got mpeg5 but will it do the rest if not what should I look for thanks

Yes will be fine once the MPEG4 H264/AVC (part10) is there on the tuner (not to be confused with MPEG4 video profile used for AVI/MKV - lower profile).

MHEG5 (not MPEG5) is middleware used for interactive elements of broadcasting and text. It will not stop you seeing and hearing the stations.

Is it one of these perhaps ?
    S1035865359.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ubeonek

No it was bigger and had a dvd player and a usb socket also less than 45 euros . could you print the nos. I should look out for please thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

STB wrote: »
    How much lag timewise ?

Are you doing anything odd ?

What I mean is how is it connected to your TV ?

You dont have a hdmi cable connected to the TV and seperate analogue audio out off the box to a hifi or something like that going on ? That could definitely end up with that result in such a scenario.

If its just connected directly to the TV via hdmi or scart, then it is software related. ie. Software on the box. I have several receivers and no audio sync problems. Its not the broadcaster.

It was a straight connection on a HDMI lead,would start off fine but lag would steadily increase over a ten minute period,power it down and on restart it would be ok again.
    Have since replaced it with a new TR112 and is working fine,the old one still has lag on a different transmitter??

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

I have a number of the following receiver for sale at the minute and at reasonable price in my opinion.

http://www.adverts.ie/628199

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have a number of the following receiver for sale at the minute and at reasonable price in my opinion.

http://www.adverts.ie/628199

Mheg 5 ??. Or is it similar to Sam Russel's one?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mheg 5 ??. Or is it similar to Sam Russel's one?

Looks like a repackage of my one alright. An Mstar M7128 chip set. But extra for the HDMI and presumably for the Scart cable. My one comes set up for Ireland. My one even sports a 3 pin plug for the PSU.

• Advertisement

Battle of the small black boxes eh ?

My box is better than yours. I tell you what, heres something for you guys to chase up - if you can get a box with the basic spec - i.e. MPEG4 H264 L4 (AVC) with the required audio codecs confirmed - i.e. HE-AAC and E-AC3 PLUS CI+ then you will have the basics covered. CI+ has MHEG5 packaged with it.

DECENT CHEAP BOX Not Only TV Life View LV6TMPVR4
    Now to continue with the Non MHEG5 cheap stuff out there - this box below actually supports ALL the audio codecs we will use. And its €50. And it plays MKV/AVI etc. And its a PVR. And its made by a reputable company (who may be one to contact about MHEG5).

readimage.php?id=90177

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

No MHEG5, probably is the same as Sams except that it doesn't plug directly into the scart on the TV. In my opinion the direct scart ones are a bit flimsy...not tryin' to knock them Sam!!!! They're both good units for their price.

Scart lead is included, I have not included a HDMI lead as alot of folks will want these for older Tv's and wont require the HD lead. Of course others will want it to enjoy full HD benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Battle of the small black boxes eh ?

My box is better than yours. I tell you what, heres something for you guys to chase up - if you can get a box with the basic spec - i.e. MPEG4 H264 L4 (AVC) with the required audio codecs confirmed - i.e. HE-AAC and E-AC3 PLUS CI+ then you will have the basics covered. CI+ has MHEG5 packaged with it.

DECENT CHEAP BOX Not Only TV Life View LV6TMPVR4
    Now to continue with the Non MHEG5 cheap stuff out there - this box below actually supports ALL the audio codecs we will use. And its €50. And it plays MKV/AVI etc. And its a PVR. And its made by a reputable company (who may be one to contact about MHEG5).

readimage.php?id=90177

Where can you get them? No info on availability on website:confused:

By the way, I said I would post when new software is available for my box.

Anyone who bought one can send me a PM with their email address, and I will send it to them with instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

watty wrote: »
    That's too simplistic, it's not actually even true.
    If it works properly, then that is good enough.

It really is that simple.
    Try it out, if it doesn't work, you've only lost a tenner.

NewHillel wrote: »
    It really is that simple.
    Try it out, if it doesn't work, you've only lost a tenner.

Or nothing if you use a coathanger. It might work if you know what you are doing.

Where can you get them? No info on availability on website:confused:

Just use the numbers, its on the polish, german, italian and spanish web shop sites.... they (notonlytv) have firmware for different countries....including the UK, that may or may not mean it has MHEG added.....

In any event the new Ferguson HD 120 Combo is out and selling for €70 on the polish sites.

Just use the numbers, its on the polish, german, italian and spanish web shop sites.... they (notonlytv) have firmware for different countries....including the UK, that may or may not mean it has MHEG added.....

No mention of MHEG 5 on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

The ICAN Freeview HD box is currently selling for £42.99 in store at Tesco in the UK. Seems like a good box and much cheaper than Currys!

Soarview compatible? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/i-can-2851t-freeview-hd-bbc-iplayer-digital-tv-receiver-04914655-pdt.html?srcid=867&xtor=AL-89&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=mrqqmwl&istBid=t

Freeview HD boxes have issues,some depend on the manufacturer, some on the FreeviewHD spec. DST (summer time), LCN not supported and numbers going to 800s, Teletext not supported, No country code, EPG time, HD programmes are recorded encrypted, and a few more we do not know about yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Scart lead is included, I have not included a HDMI lead as alot of folks will want these for older Tv's and wont require the HD lead. Of course others will want it to enjoy full HD benefit.

For anyone interested, I got one of the 2 Euro shop's HDMI cables (1 metre) and it seems fine.

No mention of MHEG 5 on the website.

I see they are writing specific firmware for country blocks including the UK. MHEG5 is software and easily written in should they want to do it. It is the only thing missing from the box, it has all the audio codecs for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Got two of these from Sam. One is on an LCD connected by HDMI the other by scart to a CRT. Very happy with them. Easy to set up & use & records perfectly to USB.Picture & sound quality excellent. Didn't want a large stb as the lcd is wall mounted. This is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Sam's €50 box is still flying - only problem is it gets TV3 and there's so much crap on that channel...... :)

We've taken to recording some stuff on a cheapo LIDL 8G USB key and then watching it in bed using a Mac and VLC software - the quality of the picture (even from TV3) is outstanding!

Anyway - was wondering - has anyone managed to use a universal remote to control this unit? I don't have any remotes that can 'learn' codes, and I couldn't be arsed to step through every possibility with 4 or 5 key presses per attempt.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Sam's €50 box is still flying - only problem is it gets TV3 and there's so much crap on that channel...... :)

The good news is that the box is now only €45, so that makes it even better.

I have asked about codes, but my question was lost in translation, but I will ask it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

dowtchaboy wrote: »

We've taken to recording some stuff on a cheapo LIDL 8G USB key and then watching it in bed using a Mac and VLC software - the quality of the picture (even from TV3) is outstanding!

Anyway - was wondering - has anyone managed to use a universal remote to control this unit? I don't have any remotes that can 'learn' codes, and I couldn't be arsed to step through every possibility with 4 or 5 key presses per attempt.

You are so lucky to only have 1 crap channel. In the UK we have more crap channels on Freeview than you have total channels!

winston_1 wrote: »
    You are so lucky to only have 1 crap channel. In the UK we have more crap channels on Freeview than you have total channels!

3E did not get mentioned. That channel is so bad, no-one even tunes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

3E did not get mentioned. That channel is so bad, no-one even tunes into it.

I'm scared - I'm beginning to care about who gets the lowest score in Come Dine With Me.....

And - Hey - like, OMG! Like, sup, like hey - OMG - Jedward are on CBB..... well I guess that's MY channel selection sorted for the month.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

The good news is that the box is now only €45, so that makes it even better.

I have asked about codes, but my question was lost in translation, but I will ask it again.

Have there been any software updates Sam?

• Advertisement

5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    Have there been any software updates Sam?

No, not recently. The last one took that silly screen saver off the screen when you are listening to the radio.

Do you have any suggestions (for fixes). It is unlikely that we will get Mheg 5, or any major change.

Advertisement