Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Inch AllWinner A13 1.5GHz Android 4.0 Tablet - €55.44

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

many different cheap tablets on dealextreme too. Brother got one, however its slighly slow responding, generally great for basic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Quick question, have a few of these Asian tablets and now I'm looking for adapter, 2 prong to 3 prong. I tried pests last night and he was trying to charge me a tenner for each one. Anyone got tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Is this what you mean?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Quick question, have a few of these Asian tablets and now I'm looking for adapter, 2 prong to 3 prong. I tried pests last night and he was trying to charge me a tenner for each one. Anyone got tips?

I got one in the 2 euro shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I use shaver adapters as they are 89c is the local tat shop, in fact the 1A shaver fuse might even be a good idea with the cheap chinese power supplies.

I have a couple of the ones Do-more linked too for higher power stuff and they are good because they really grip the prongs so the adapter doesn't slip out or need to be taped on. The contact seem to be springy steel instead of brass/bronze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

I can recommend these as I ordered them and had them the next day and they are fine with HKG chargers.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/270964329535?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Just a quick review on the Yuandao N90S in case anyone is considering buying one.... don't!

Major wifi issues, I need to be in the same room as my wifi router to browse the net and even at that I had some buffering on youtube when I would normally expect not to with my other tabs.

Also the wifi had dropped out completely this morning and I needed to re-boot the tab to get it going again.

The screen is OK in general but during darker scenes it is poor.

It will be fine for a 6 year old playing a few games and watching some youtube but even at that I that foresee some grief with shouts of "Daddy, it's not working!"

It's on the very first firmware version so hopefully some updates will improve things but I'm too hopeful, I will definitely try to sell it in the New Year and if successful I'll get something else instead.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

anyone else having trouble ordering from HKG?

I added some stuff to my cart, entered my address and when i press "next" it says "location is not allowed"

Any Ideas whats wrong guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hey guys,

As with tablet, specs moves so fast. Whats the best tablet <100 Euro currently? Want to get one as a present.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

anyone else having trouble ordering from HKG?

I added some stuff to my cart, entered my address and when i press "next" it says "location is not allowed"

Any Ideas whats wrong guys?

I ordered a phone on friday of last week, its still showing as being processed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

How long does it take to send a tablet from China to Ireland via Fedex?

How long does it take to send a tablet from China to Ireland via Fedex?

Have a look at the previous page of this thread for a detailed answer.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Have a look at the previous page of this thread for a detailed answer.

Thanks. Think most people on here have had shipment with DHL though, I suppose Fedex should be the same time-wise anyway?

From what i read it seems they incorporate this into your purchase price, so if it doesnt get caught there on a winner!

Yea. HKG's prices seem to be significantly more than buyincoins, pandawill etc. They're not losing out if they have to refund the tax, and they're onto a winner when they don't, like you say. Nice freeroll for them.

Thanks. Think most people on here have had shipment with DHL though, I suppose Fedex should be the same time-wise anyway?

Yea. HKG's prices seem to be significantly more than buyincoins, pandawill etc. They're not losing out if they have to refund the tax, and they're onto a winner when they don't, like you say. Nice freeroll for them.

Sorry my bad Banie01 had terrible problems with Fedex trying to get his tablets through customs, (see around page 48) DHL seems to be a better choice based on the experience of people on this thread.

HKG's markup compared to other sellers seems to differ from one tablet to another. At the time I ordered the difference was only about €12 and if caught by customs the taxes and charges would have been a little over €30 so I felt it was wortwhile. As it turned out they messed me around with not being able to get stock of the tablet I wanted and I had to change my order so I would be reluctant to use them again for that reason.

But it does seem that they have sucess in getting stuff through customs declared as a photo frame of US$15 value so the next time I buy a tablet from China I will shop around for the best price and have it declared as a photoframe with DHL delivery.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got some delivered using Fedex, only took about 3-4 days once they received it.
    But as delivery was left blank on the invoice, they used a "default" value of €165 for freight for the customs calculation, adding ~€38 onto the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Really torn between three of these tablets and would like some opinions to help me out please. The three are

http://www.hongkongeek.co.uk/2-screen/1304-101-cube-u30gt-rockchip-rk3066-dual-core-16ghz-android-41-1gb-ddr3-bluetooth-16gb.html

Seems like it's got good spec's but reports of newer models not having an IPS screen is putting me off.

http://www.hongkongeek.co.uk/google-android-tablets/1740-101-ainol-novo10-hero-cortex-a9-dual-core-15ghz-android-41-1gb-ddr3-bluetooth-16gb.html

http://www.hongkongeek.co.uk/google-android-tablets/1455-101-yuandao-window-n101-2-rk3066-dual-core-android-41-1280x800-ips-hdmi-1gb-ddr3-16gb.html

They all seem to had their fair amounts of positives and negatives and all three would probably do the job but just want to get the best bang for my buck. The major deal breaker for me is which tablet has the best community for ROMS and the bit I've looked around that seems to be the Cube. I'm open to other suggestions too so feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Adrian Weckler, BusinessPost, recommened this 7" tablet on Matt Cooper's radio show

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Options-55109-Essential-Capacitive/dp/B009HY68YC

Heres the interview
    http://www.todayfm.com/shows/weekdays/matt-cooper/matt-cooper-blog/12-12-20/Affordable_Christmas_Gadgets.aspx

" Scroll Essential II 7-inch

One big advantage to Android tablets is competition between manufacturers, and subsequent low prices. This basic seven-inch tablet does all the basics - including web browsing - well. And because it's a seven-inch tablet and not a ten-inch one, those stretched Android apps are much more palatable. It has 8GB built in, a USB port and a memory card slot."

Price: €99 from Peats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

The tablet I got (Yuandao N70S) is the same price on Pandawill and not available on Buyincoins. :confused:

mcgovern wrote: »
    I got some delivered using Fedex, only took about 3-4 days once they received it.
    But as delivery was left blank on the invoice, they used a "default" value of €165 for freight for the customs calculation, adding ~€38 onto the bill.

Did you actually have to pay that? Surely they can't just pull figures out of the air and expect you to pay more than you owe? Wouldn't printing off a paypal receipt or something do them? They can go whistle if they look for €38 from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Did you actually have to pay that? Surely they can't just pull figures out of the air and expect you to pay more than you owe? Wouldn't printing off a paypal receipt or something do them? They can go whistle if they look for €38 from me

I haven't paid it yet, still arguing with them, and they are not too fast to respond, takes them longer to reply than they give you to pay. They are claiming it's the Revenue that set the amount, they just apply it (they act as agents for customs, so its their staff who actually decide what you pay).
    Also, you don't find out what you owe them until a few weeks after you've gotten your items, when you receive the bill in the post.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Really torn between three of these tablets and would like some opinions to help me out please. The three are

http://www.hongkongeek.co.uk/2-screen/1304-101-cube-u30gt-rockchip-rk3066-dual-core-16ghz-android-41-1gb-ddr3-bluetooth-16gb.html

Seems like it's got good spec's but reports of newer models not having an IPS screen is putting me off.

http://www.hongkongeek.co.uk/google-android-tablets/1740-101-ainol-novo10-hero-cortex-a9-dual-core-15ghz-android-41-1gb-ddr3-bluetooth-16gb.html

http://www.hongkongeek.co.uk/google-android-tablets/1455-101-yuandao-window-n101-2-rk3066-dual-core-android-41-1280x800-ips-hdmi-1gb-ddr3-16gb.html

They all seem to had their fair amounts of positives and negatives and all three would probably do the job but just want to get the best bang for my buck. The major deal breaker for me is which tablet has the best community for ROMS and the bit I've looked around that seems to be the Cube. I'm open to other suggestions too so feel free.

Yeah it would wreck your head trying to figure out what to buy!

I got a Cube U20GT for my son back in October and I would have no problem recommending it. It works well, great wifi, great screen which has the benefit of being gorilla glass. Only downside is there isn't a huge community but there are a number of custom roms available but I haven't felt the need to upgrade from the stock ICS firmware. The dual core rockchip gives it plenty of umpf.

Failing that there are a number of quad core tablets just coming on the market which should be plenty powerful to last you for a long time.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Do-more wrote: »
    Yeah it would wreck your head trying to figure out what to buy!

I got a Cube U20GT for my son back in October and I would have no problem recommending it. It works well, great wifi, great screen which has the benefit of being gorilla glass. Only downside is there isn't a huge community but there are a number of custom roms available but I haven't felt the need to upgrade from the stock ICS firmware. The dual core rockchip gives it plenty of umpf.

Failing that there are a number of quad core tablets just coming on the market which should be plenty powerful to last you for a long time.

It's a bit of minefield to say the least. Going to read up over the next few days and see what I can come up with. Would the Samsung Galaxy II 10.1 be a better machine and safer bet than these Chinese tablets? I'll also look at the few quad core ones out now to future proof things a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

aaronm13 wrote: »
    It's a bit of minefield to say the least. Going to read up over the next few days and see what I can come up with. Would the Samsung Galaxy II 10.1 be a better machine and safer bet than these Chinese tablets? I'll also look at the few quad core ones out now to future proof things a little.

Just paid for this. Hoping to get it Around the 3rd or 4th. Kicking myself, but i have been hovering around it for the last week or so, and just now decided to buy. Probably because i have a few drinks in me, and told myself "Do it".

Oops.. Forgot link - Zenithink C94

On Aliexpress and HKG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Merry Christmas guys!

gave the ma her cube u18gt this morning, (that I ordered from HKG) but having problems.
    charger arrived damaged (pin pushed in) but thats not a problem, or so I thought. I presume it can charge via USB no?

I pressed the power button and nothing happens. so ive had it plugged into to laptop for the last 30min and still getting nothing. Is there a light that indicates whether its charging?

the laptop didnt bring up any sign or sound of having anything plugged into it. no mass external device or anything.

its a bit of a disappointment if this arrived DOA. not the greatest start to xmas. anyone dealt with HKG with RMA's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Most of them don't charge through USB, is it the charger that is damaged or the socket for it on the tablet ?
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Merry Christmas guys!

gave the ma her cube u18gt this morning, (that I ordered from HKG) but having problems.
    charger arrived damaged (pin pushed in) but thats not a problem, or so I thought. I presume it can charge via USB no?

I pressed the power button and nothing happens. so ive had it plugged into to laptop for the last 30min and still getting nothing. Is there a light that indicates whether its charging?

the laptop didnt bring up any sign or sound of having anything plugged into it. no mass external device or anything.

its a bit of a disappointment if this arrived DOA. not the greatest start to xmas. anyone dealt with HKG with RMA's?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Most of them don't charge through USB, is it the charger that is damaged or the socket for it on the tablet ?
    the charger is physically damaged. a pin on the transformer is pushed in. does it come with any sort of charge in the battery to start? cause its dead as a door knob.

lack of USB charging is annoying. might exchange it for something that does do it. any suggestions? or would you know where I can pick up a charger that'll work to test its DOA status without sending it to Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the charger is physically damaged. a pin on the transformer is pushed in. does it come with any sort of charge in the battery to start? cause its dead as a door knob.

lack of USB charging is annoying. might exchange it for something that does do it. any suggestions? or would you know where I can pick up a charger that'll work to test its DOA status without sending it to Hong Kong.

Should not be too dificult to pick up a charger, just make sure the voltage is correct and preferably has a higher ma rating than the one that came with it. And make sure it is a regulated one that you get.

You can get universal ones that come with different size pins and that you can set to different voltages. I think a lot of the chargers are 5v rated around 1500ma.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Should not be too dificult to pick up a charger, just make sure the voltage is correct and preferably has a higher ma rating than the one that came with it. And make sure it is a regulated one that you get.

You can get universal ones that come with different size pins and that you can set to different voltages. I think a lot of the chargers are 5v rated around 1500ma.
    this is 5v @ 2000ma. I though 2A was pretty high myself actually.

• Advertisement

I picked up a replacement charger on eBay but the price was saucy enough. Also the seller had the connector photographed almost end on so you couldn't see that it had one connector on the cable and then a second reducer tacked onto it. Just watch out for that if you are ordering one. Very few of the rockchip tablets charge by USB.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement